May 08,2012
May 08,2012
Foxtons are, in my experience, a prime example of how bad an estate agent can be. Friendly, talkative staff, a flashy fleet of cars, a great looking website, and awful, awful service.

My property was officially "managed" by Foxtons. In practice this meant the problems we repeatedly reported - such as a broken oven, a window jammed open, etc. - were ignored for over six months. I awoke one morning towards the end of our tenancy to be greeted by a Foxtons agent and two prospective tenants, who had let themselves in to look around, unannounced. Of course, months later they still have our deposit, and with a general lack interest from their end, it is looking unlikely it will be returned in any form.
Their sky-high fees are worth noting too - whatever you expect, you\'ll be surprised. I\'ve found you can do significantly better with any other estate agent. There is a reason their fees are difficult to find on that website.

I would never use Foxtons again, but I suspect many people caught in their trap are first-time tenants in London. If this is you, please, before you sign, think again about the big, glass-fronted offices, the fleet of cars, and the great looking website - and rest assured you will be paying for it all.

As a final note, I\'d also say that the recent rash of 5 star reviews on this site - for an agent previously getting 1s and 2s - looks a bit suspicious. Perhaps they have improved suddenly - or perhaps an email went round the office. Be sure to read the earlier reviews too. There are a LOT of them.
By: sd
Jul 22, 2012
Yes, and they allow contractors unsupervised access to the property without checking that you have given your consent! Even though I pointed out that the tenancy agreement said that this could not be done, they just said that they have indemnity insurance and that they vett their contractors. The five stars may be for the sales teams rather than lettings.

Foxtons