Properties Glasgow - Infiniti Properties
May 13,2017
Gary Wales
Lewis Hunter
May 13,2017
I recently used McEwan Fraser to sell my two bedroom property in Edinburgh. Overall, I was delighted with the service and the end result achieved with the sale of my property. I had spent the last year looking for a property to purchase, I had a list of three estate agents where I had made a mental note that their offered a superior quality of pictures and service for prospective buyers ( mainly ease of organising a viewing). Both are factors, which I consider extremely important when selling a property. After researching the three, I went with McEwan Fraser as I know from personal experience that most prospective buyers look for properties between 8pm and 10pm in the evenings or on the weekend. The extended opening hours that McEwan Fraser offer and the fact that I could have personal input into into how the floor plans and media pack was prepared was why I ultimately decided to use them. I would advise that McEwan Fraser offer different fees and scales of service, and that depending on the property and what you need the fee and charges can vary. I decided on a mix of services, although McEwan Fraser is probably a bit more sales focused in what package they offer you, so make sure you get what you want and keep your wits about you. If you do research reviews about McEwan Fraser online, there are reviews that do highlight the quite high sale focused attitude at McEwan Fraser and high cost. This is partly unfair, as they can tailor their fee according to your needs. If you want a basic 1% fee (from my perspective the average market charge) then you can have that. If you believe you will obtain a higher sales price by adding on some of the extras then you have that option. I went for access to the extended opening hours, the online tool and the part-exchange option. I hindsight, I valued the online tool and the extended opening hours, not sure the part-exchange added any value. If you expect your property will struggle to sell, I would maybe consider the part-exchange. I decided to use McEwan Fraser purely as a sales agent and opted for my own solicitor to do the conveyancing as I was selling and buying at the same time. What I hadn't fully realised was that I would then have to pay the sales fee upfront before the transaction closes, if you choose independent conveyancing. If you can't afford that then they will have to do the legal stuff for you, and I have no experience with their legal team, as I didn't use them.
With regard to their service, I was in a position where I had already won a bid for another property and I was therefore looking to move quickly to sell. They had a property on the market within a week. McEwan Fraser offer a system where you can see how your property is progressing with each step required before it goes on the market, as well as what is happening once it has gone on the market. You can see who has downloaded the home report, who has requested a viewing, who has noted interest and who has put forward an offer for the property. They charge extra for this online service and I wasn't particularly interested in it initially, but having it proved to be a valuable tool.
I should mention that my property had been fully modernised and renovated over the last couple of years, so I did expect it to appeal to a wide variety of buyers, plus it was very centrally located in Edinburgh. This always helps, regardless of agent. However, within the 24 hours I had completed 15 viewings which they organised and had three offers on the table. Hard as it was to turn down, I decided however to go for a closing date. I am personally, really happy I went with McEwan Fraser as they managed to schedule 45 one-on-one viewings without any issues in the seven days that the property was on the market. I had roughly 13 notes of interest and received 15 offers on the closing date, which was 8 days after it had gone on the market. It sold for 30% over its home report value, fully worth extra extra fee I paid for their additional extras.
Throughout the process I had a person at McEwan Fraser I could call, and with their extended opening hours I could call anytime during the week or weekend if a viewer had shown up on time or a viewer could call them if they were running late etc.
I will definitely be using them again if I ever decide to move again.
Fee structure is a bit complicated, but this also gives you many options to tailor it to what you want. They also have some incentive sales option - I decided against going for these and as it went significantly above the home report, this did save me a large sum of money which could have been a fee to them. I mentioned earlier their fee structure can come across quite "salesy" but just keep your wits about what you decide to go for as the service they offer is in my opinion highly recommended.

McEwan Fraser Legal