Mar 03,2017
Mar 03,2017
We were incredibly disappointed with the service offered by Northwood and their knowledge of the property we rented on multiple occasions during our tenancy. To name a few... We were told the electric and gas were not on a meter when viewing the property but discovered they were upon moving in and that they also had large debts left on them from the property being empty for some time. I had to sort this out with the companies myself (apparently it is too complicated for Northwood to sort this on a tenants behalf) and stay elsewhere for the time it took to sort this as we had no gas or electric in the time it took for the companies to fix it. There were no smoke alarms in the property and they would not install any as we moved in 2 months before it became law that they must be in all rented properties, last October. They were installed towards the end of our tenancy, presumably to make it up to code for the next tenants. It took over a month to receive a post box key after moving in. They were slow to fix problems (there were several with this property to be fair as it appeared to have been empty for some time!) and small issues such as the intercom not working we gave up on chasing. They were always polite when we spoke and responded to emails but given how long it took to actually sort any of our issues and the very poor knowledge they had of the property (especially given their offices were a five minute walk away at the time) I feel I can not rate them higher. For a property with no issues I'm sure they'd be fine but I won't risk working with them again as a property with no problems just can not be guaranteed.
They seemed high but are actually fairly standard I believe.
By: Peter Bellamy
Mar 07, 2017
Laura,

Thank you for your comments and I'm sorry that you experienced the issues that you did as a tenant. We welcome all comments, good or bad, to help improve our customer service levels.

Regarding the metering, I can confirm that all gas and electric supplies are metered. I think you may be referring to the types of meters installed which are pre-payment rather than credit. This is not unusual and any debt can be easily dealt with by asking the supplier to re-set the meter. We explain the procedure to all tenants at check-in.

Regarding smoke detection and alarms, I can confirm that we comply with all current H&S legislation. Whilst we do make recommendations to landlords and embrace best practice we are not able to insist that our landlords meet requests that are not required or enforceable by law.

We were a little slow to respond to some of the non-urgent jobs that you reported, although we were also reliant on responses and actions requested from the landlord. We are sorry that you were inconvenienced by some of the jobs that you reported.

Thank you again for your valued comments. We will endeavour to make improvements to offer a better level of customer service moving forwards.

Northwood