Sep 12,2016
By: 'ashd123'
Sep 12,2016
We initially moved into a house managed by an independent landlord who within 2 weeks of tenancy handed all the maintenance and finances over to unity lets. By the end of September unity lets were demanding more rent than what my contract asked for and then when I correct them with a screenshot of the contract they simply put it down to an honest mistake.

In early October we discovered our heating was not working, we notified unity lets and a guy came to have a look in good time, but all he did was take photos of the boiler as they needed to 'assess the situation'. We then heard nothing back for four weeks so I prompted them, it then took a further 3 weeks to have any heating and this came without a thermostat so when I had early starts at the hospital (I'm a med student), the only option was wastefully leave the heating on overnight or brave a particularly chilly morning. More often than not, I braved the chilly morning. We eventually got a thermostat in December.

If only that was the end of our troubles, but the problem was terrible communication throughout, them not logging or responding to maintenance reports being the most common. When we got back from Christmas we found a note saying we were 55 pounds over our gas limit, this seemed impossible as we had only had heating for a couple of months and we were away for Christmas and our bills were cumulative over the year. Nevertheless we spent the first few weeks in January without heating while we challenged this, as we couldn't afford to pay out more money. They dropped this only to say in late February that we were 200 pounds over and they needed us to pay this. We challenged and they were insistent, the only saving grace was the weather was warming up. They insisted on this for a few weeks until we contacted the gas company, took our own readings and did the maths ourselves, they dropped the charges once we had shown them this. To rub this in, after many long conversations via email and in person, while showing prospective tenants round, the manager of the branch made several jokes about our heating and gas issues and we received no apology from the company. After many requests for a formal meeting with the manager, there was no response.

I thankfully moved out after Easter, but there was time for yet another money grab attempt from the company. Our deposits, both us and unity lets had agreed there was to be a standard charge of 23 pounds for a professional clean, but 43 pounds was the figure they tried to take from me. This again was put down to an 'honest mistake' when I challenged. Seems either the staff are incapable of basic maths or there is something else occurring as all of us in the house had many moments like this one.

A final thought, you'll notice all the rankings are either 1 star or 5 stars here, seems as if the staff counter every 1 star review with a falsified 5 star review, but I'll let you be the judge of that...
N/A