Feb 25,2012
Sara Holloman
Feb 25,2012
Don't use Hurst Estate Agents! We put an offer in on a property and were accepted. Hurst Estate Agents then happily took a 'holding fee' from us of £400 (this was to cover a standard referencing fee - only £150 more than other agents ask!). Hurst then used a third party company who apparently wouldn't offer an insurance service on us (something that none of my family, all of whom have rented in the past had heard of). On this basis our holding fee was taken by Hurst and we lost the property. My partner was able to cover the rent alone, and we were given a number of excuses including that we weren't married. We offered a years rental up front, but Hurst were apparently unwilling to accept this. We were told that it was the landlady who had declined our offer although with the very poor communication I doubt they ever put our offer forward. They delayed our viewing of the property for almost two weeks and I suspect took their fictional 'holding fee' off a number of other potential prospective customers. We found Hurst to be rude, unhelpful, uncommunicative and a total con. Avoid them - Hurst Estate Agents should not be allowed to continue in business. We also found unsurprisingly that they are not a company registered with the Property Ombudsman.
Don't use Hurst Estate Agents! We put an offer in on a property and were accepted. Hurst Estate Agents then happily took a 'holding fee' from us of ‚£400 (this was to cover a standard referencing fee - only ‚£150 more than other agents ask!). Hurst then used a third party company who apparently wouldn't offer an insurance service on us (something that none of my family, all of whom have rented in the past had heard of). On this basis our holding fee was taken by Hurst and we lost the property. My partner was able to cover the rent alone, and we were given a number of excuses including that we weren't married. We offered a years rental up front, but Hurst were apparently unwilling to accept this. We were told that it was the landlady who had declined our offer although with the very poor communication I doubt they ever put our offer forward. They delayed our viewing of the property for almost two weeks and I suspect took their fictional 'holding fee' off a number of other potential prospective customers. We found Hurst to be rude, unhelpful, uncommunicative and a total con. Avoid them - Hurst Estate Agents should not be allowed to continue in business. We also found unsurprisingly that they are not a company registered with the Property Ombudsman.
Attached Files
By: denc
Feb 14, 2013
i have just made an enquiry to the Aylesbury office to rent a property and because of previous experience asked about their fees for tenants. I was told about this £400 per couple "holding fee" when asked what it was for, I was told refs, and to take ti off the market.
I said I was not willing to do business.

These are ridiculous fees just to rip off tenants. I told the lady that I am also a home owner who has rented property in the past, and I do know how much it costs to reference people, and it is a paltry sum compared to these charges.
This letting business needs to be cleaned up and the financial side of it investigated by trading standards and a maximum charge should be imposed. Beware, and walk away from these unscrupulous letting/estate agents/ they will continue to bump up the rented sector by pushing up prices which already cost nearly half of our wages. If Affordable property was available and fair rents were charged because of the law, there would be no way the agents could get away with their fees.

Hurst Estate Agents