Jan 21,2012
By: 'Disappointed'
Jan 21,2012
We have just sold our parent's property within 3 months, after marketing it for almost 2 years. Sounds great, however the price we were advised to market at, was far below what we wanted, less than two thirds what we had previously marketed at in fact. Knocking £20,00 off a £200,000 house is one thing but off a £55,00 house is something else. We were assured that this was not a problem as groups of people would view and then bid against each other and we would get near our true asking price,and we were shown examples where houses marketed for £60.000 made £90.000. No groups but plenty of individual viewings by people who thought ,as the house was empty, we must be desperate. We also had several no show appointments which meant a 20 mile round trip for me for nothing. We were assured in the beginning that only people who were really interested and in a position to proceed would be sent to view. why didn't they show up?
They may have 24 hour phone service but some of the time it is a manned phone without support, for example if you are a seller asking where the viewer is! I did have a number of occasions when calls weren't returned which I found frustrating.
The fees were almost 10% of our sale price, which is a bit steep. I wouldn't sell using the agent again, nor would I buy through them as I don't think the price stated is anything close to what the poor seller wants.
We accepted a pathetic offer in the end but we felt we would never have got what we wanted anyway. Selling your parents home when they die isn't nice and we just got to a point where we had to sell to move on and tie up loose ends.
marketed at a more realistic price and work for me not the buyer.
Attached Files