...left to get your reviews in for the 2018 Estate & Letting Agent Awards

Oct 23,2015
By: 'Barb Icahn'
Oct 23,2015
I lived in a flat managed by Williams Lynch for two years. They are not the worst agents I have dealt with, but that is purely because a previous agent managed to both trespass and lock me out of my own home on two separate occasions. It is in no way a suggestion that Williams Lynch is any good. If work does not directly bring in fees, they appear to regard it as unnecessary - work like actually managing the property in exchange for the property management fees they charge to the landlord.

The issues:

1. I paid an extra week of rent on move-in, in order to make the due date for rent to slightly after my payday rather than slightly before. This was agreed and explained clearly. This was no barrier to the same staff member at Williams Lynch accusing me of being in arrears on two separate occasions eight months apart. They never made an accurate record of the actual due date for rent. They also did not apologise.

2. The boiler in the property was 18 years old on move-in, and had not been properly maintained in some time. Its failures became more frequent until it was essentially useless. Getting it replaced was a three-month process where, in what would become a familiar theme, Williams Lynch was unable to communicate with the landlord effectively to move the process forward. Eventually, my threatening to leave without notice under the provisions of the Landlord & Tenant Act cleared the lines of communication surprisingly quickly.

3. On checkout, there was a dispute over a relatively small proportion of the deposit (less than £200). At this point, Williams Lynch simply stopped communicating over the return of the undisputed part of the deposit (around £1,750), saying that they were waiting for the landlord to agree. After several weeks, I was forced to enter a Single Claim process through the Deposit Protection Service to retrieve the deposit. Williams Lynch also failed to communicate properly with the DPS adjudicator, resulting in the majority of the disputed deposit being returned to me. The adjudicator ruled that the property had not been cleaned professionally on check-in, and that claiming £180 from the deposit for professional cleaning amounted to betterment of the property.

Forcing me to make a Single Claim meant the process took more than three months, rather than the days it should have taken.

I'm a charitable man, and I believe that Williams Lynch are lazy and incompetent, rather than actively malicious.

Williams Lynch