Sep 06,2015
Rob Down MNAEA
Jack Merriott MNAEA
Sep 06,2015
We feel very disappointed in Cross Keys despite having heard good reviews. We used them for both the selling of our property & the possible purchase of another. The selling of our property didn't work through no fault of their's. We found Rob very helpful, honest & communication was fantastic at that time.

Unfortunately on the purchasing of a property things didn't go to well. we were recommended to view a property by Cross Keys. On viewing we loved it & put in an offer, negotiations were made and our offer was accepted under the asking price. We were told that somebody else had put in a full asking price offer but were not proceed-able as they had not sold their property & therefore their offer was declined. Cross keys explained to us that they were going to take the property off zoopla & their own website completely & not mark it as STC. They also told us that there would be no sold sign put up as per vendor request (due to personal reasons). Which we accepted naively. We paid solicitors upfront & we started the purchasing process.

Approximately a week later we were told that the original viewers were now proceed-able as they had sold their property. We matched the full offer asking price but were told by Cross Keys that the vendor was thinking about both offers for twenty minutes & also told that ' a bidding war was not the done thing'. That afternoon we waited back from a phone call from Cross Keys, who never got back to us. We attempted to phone the next morning, leaving answerphone messages & eventually they got back to us with bad news that the other viewers had put in a larger offer which was accepted.

Obviously we were upset with this, especially as we had already paid solicitors.

Anyway as we were driving past the house earlier we saw a sold sign. Which we were told wouldn't happen during our purchase.

We now believe that Cross Keys and/ or the vendor were now holding out for the other buyer & the larger offer & didn't want to scare them off by putting STC on zoopla & a sold sign up.

We feel very let down and used, especially as my partner had built up a good rapport with Rob & felt he was trustworthy.

It may not be the case but we really believe that it is, I guess we will never know for sure but we are certainly unhappy about the way it was handled & the lack of communication at this time.
By: Kerry Clancey
Sep 07, 2015
Sorry just to add as I hadn't made it clear. We obviously were informed of the higher offer. This was the next day when you had already accepted, therefore did not have the opportunity to increase our offer.
By: Kerry Clancey
Lindley,

Thanks for you response however this has only further confused my understanding of the situation.

We where told that the initial offer for the full asking price had been however the potential purchasers where not proceed-able as they had either not sold or marketed their property yet (I cant remember exactly which one).
We had already sold our property and where at an advanced stage (we are now completing and that is was taking place only 2 weeks ago).
We had a mortgage in place, not in principle, but fully agreed as we had had a purchase fall through (hence the advanced stage of our sale) and all that was required was a valuation of the property.
Therefore I am confused as to why the other offer would have been better in respect of completion in the quickest time and least chance of chain breakdown.

Either you where misinformed or the other purchasers where in a very enviable position.

As for the best offer, I can accept that. However we matched their offer and where not informed that a further higher offer had been made.

The lack of communication is our main gripe in this situation and this is surprising given our previous experiences with Cross Keys and Rob in particular.

As for the SOLD sign, we can appreciate and respect your position. However given your wishes when you initially accepted our offer we found it surprising and perhaps led us to jump to conclusions.

I will discuss this directly with Cross Keys to ensure that I am not in error and misjudging them, or if mistakes have been made on their part that they are able correct them and maintain their hard earned reputation.

We wish you well for your sale.
By: Lindley
Sep 07, 2015
I would just like to clarify the situation from my perspective as the seller of the property referred to above. I am not prepared to discuss the specifics of the case in a public forum but suffice to say that Cross Keys and indeed all of their staff were acting upon my direct instruction and at no point tried to influence any of my decisions including whether or not a sold sign was displayed. I based my decision on the best offer, and who was likely to complete in the quickest time and with the least chance of any breakdown in the sale chain. I am in the midst of very difficult personal circumstances and at that time the displaying of a sold sign would have caused considerable problems for me. The timing of the second buyer was such that after a few days of accepting their offer, it was acceptable for me to display the sold sign. This was in no way down to Cross Keys or a tactical move to gain a higher price. I have used Cross Keys as both a buyer and a seller and have found their services and staff exemplary. I am very sorry for your disappointment and wish you well for your future house purchase.
By: Craig Duncan - Director
Sep 07, 2015
Hi Kerry, I am very sorry that you feel disappointed in our service with you regard to your aborted purchase. If you feel you would like to contact me directly with regard to any of the points raised then please do not hesitate to contact me on either of our office numbers - 01752 500018 / 01752 500099.

Cross Keys Estates