Aug 26,2011
Aug 26,2011
The company took a holding deposit when we made an offer to the property that they showed us. Later that day they called us saying the offer was not accepted we then made a new offer which was accepted. Then again we had a call 30 mins later saying the landlord change his mind and wants MORE money to what was accepted. We finally made a deal.

The next day we found out we needed a further £150 more for reference fee's on top of the £150 which we accepted for ref fee's.

We did not accept this and therefore want our holding deposit back.

They refused to give this to us. Staff on numerous occasions told us that they look after the interests of themselves and the landlords before tenants and potential customers, by this they state that as long as they get their money they don't care!

Please do not use this company, I have been in touch with watchdog!! and Trading Standards!! which have replied to us saying they have received numerous other complaints and now wish to proceed with our case to bring to them.
The company should have been straight with us instead of leading us to believe that the fees and charges were being explained upfront and clearly. Mr Ake*l should understand that customers should be treated with respect and not be taken advantage of in their vulnerable state, after having disclosed personal circumstances. The company should re-word their contracts to make it fair and clear to all parties- i.e. not able for the company or landlord to make verbal changes without leaving the customer to do this also.
By: Katie
Feb 05, 2012
Thanks Arran and Caroline - exactly what I expected from this agency and there is the proof - glad I checked here.
By: Shock!
Jan 12, 2012
Shocking that they allow landlords to play you off against other people though - twice had to raise the offer. Disgusting! I would not use them now
Nov 15, 2011
Tiran..why dont you respond to my mails and follow ups. I know you can't. you are just avoiding to pay my money back.
Nov 11, 2011
Dear Arran & Caroline,

Thank you for your comment.

I have now had an opportunity to review your complaint and find the facts to be as listed below.

1. You made an offer on the said property, which was rejected. The landlord instructed us to seek an increase, which we confirmed back to you. You decided to increase your offer. The landlord accepted.

2. Shortly thereafter, we received a call from the landlord stating that he had an increased offer from a separate agents, we attempted to get the landlord to agree with what had already been accepted, however he insisted that we should come back for an increase, which we did. We finally got an offer accepted between you and the landlord and we proceeded to continue with the rental.

3. On reviewing your tenancy paperwork, it was noticed that you required a guarantor to allow you to progress the rental, as per our terms of business, guarantors are charged a reference fee of £75.00 per person, we explained that their would be an increase for 2 guarantors of £150.00. A charge you rejected.

4. Upon hearing of your discontent I reviewed the file and found that the charge should be waived as it was not made clear at an earlier stage, you came to the office and this information was given to you.

5. Shortly thereafter we received a call from another agent saying that you had found something through them and that we should return the holding deposit. This was the first that we had been notified.

6. Upon you revisiting the office it was explained that if you now withdrew your offer, you would lose your holding deposit, as per the terms that you entered some days earlier. You left the office making claims that you would make slanderous remarks to whoever would listen unless you got your funds back.

7. You then visited the office with your father who explained that you had found something else and that this property was always unaffordable to you and that you had increased above the budget he had set. It was again explained to your father that you had entered into an agreement and on the back of that we had made obligations to our client, which were now unchangeable.

I would like to say that I am extremely sympathetic to your plight and it is not our common practice to take holding deposits, it is always my preference where possible to attempt to negotiate that you move into the property. I will however say that at no point did a staff member from this office make a comment that we did not care, nor did we say that we only look after the interests of us and clients. I have reviewed our in-house CCTV and at no time was that said.

If you would like me to re-look at your case please kindly email me at

Madison Brook

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Madison Brook Docklands! To leave a new review of Madison Brook Docklands, please click the link below !
Write a review for Madison Brook Docklands