Nov 06,2011
Nov 06,2011
We saw a property advertised on the Express website for £189950, then reduced to £179950, with the statement 'reduced by £50000'. We phoned Express and asked about room sizes etc, but were told that they do not give this information. Eventually we received an email with all the details we had requested. We asked if the vendor would accept the asking price and were told that he wouldn't. We then asked if he would accept an offer of around £200000. The lady who was dealing with our query then informed us that the vendor was looking for as near to £250000 as possible, therefore would not consider our offer. We are cash buyers and able to proceed immediately. We have not viewed the property - what's the point when it's so far in excess of our budget. Also after our 'phone calls to Express we felt uncomfortable about the professional ethics and integrity of this company.
Given unambiguous advertising information.
By: frustrated seller
Dec 13, 2011
Hmmm it clearly seems that the express agency have realised that almost all of the reviews from buyers & sellers on this site are negative & do indeed show that the system they use is unethical & misleading and have therefore hijacked the reviews by putting numerous erroneous 'almost too cheesy to be true' 'good' feedback reviews up. I suspect that a number of these aren't even real existing clients, but made up people by express agency, to try & rescue their poor rating on here! Trading standards will be made aware of these practices & I hope they are thoroughly taken to task over them. I have friends who were conned into selling through express with all sorts of promises that to date haven't even come close to being fulfilled. Fast talk, little action I'm afraid.
By: wrongsideofpennines
Dec 01, 2011
I've read some complete guff on this website, but chris's comment above tops the lot! Whats the point of advertising your house at £150k when you are looking for offers around £135-140k - surely thats misleading. All Express Estate Agency do is market properties at "offers over", its up to a prospective buyer to make an offer. In either case, the vendor has to accept whichever offer comes in. At the end of the day a house is worth what someone is prepared to pay, don't go around crying because you think you have found a bargain. (I don't work for Express, just using them to sell my house at the moment. Compared to some of the local agencies who are completely incompetent they have been good so far).
By: chris
Nov 27, 2011
Having seen a house advertised for £49,950 and 54,950 in the same advert with Express Agency, we phoned the estate agent to ascertain the correct price and was informed by the agent that the vendor was expecting in the region of £75,000. I believe this type of marketing is misleading (a con) and has the effect of making me avoid not only the property advertised, but all properties marketed by Express Agency. Not only does this type of marketing fail the the buyer, it also fails the seller.
By: Bambam
Nov 14, 2011
What a crock of rubbish, surley the aim of Express id to stimulate interst in a property and then let interested parties bid on property. Scotland have the right idea where property is listed for closed bids and the bid is legally binding. i recently sold my 3 bedroomed house, through a normal hight street estate agent, after 9 months on the market and offers that were withdrawn only for the purchaser to try and lower the price. I wish i had used Express, they are there to get the best deal for the seller, not give their home away for them.
By: Holly
Nov 07, 2011
I felt exactly the same way about Express, and it's this dishonest pricing 'tactic' that puts me off ever dealing with them. I have heard even more horror stories from numerous people and would advise anyone to steer clear whenever possible!

Write a review for Express Estate Agency Head Office