Apr 22,2015
By: 'gsh'
Apr 22,2015
Myself and a housemate viewed a number of properties with Ludlow Thompson and a number of other agents within the Oval area, and found one that we really wanted with Ludlow Thompson.

We asked what the fees would be for the property and were told that it would be ‚£250 for agency fees, and ‚£250 for a holding deposit (which would come out of the total deposit) during which we were told by Anuj, that they would not take any other offers for the property unless we failed the references or pulled out of the flat. We liked the flat to put in an offer.

Once at the agency office to confirm and sign forms, we were informed that the holding fee was actually ‚£500, and the agency fees were over ‚£600. We were apprehensive about this increased cost, but liked the property enough to ignore these concerns. Jibby then took over from Anuj.

Jibby called us later that day to say the landlord wanted a higher amount of rent each month than we'd offered (we offered, slightly under budget). Since we'd offered under the suggested amount, we were happy to accept the full amount asked by the landlord and expected we'd get the contract.

Jibby called back shortly after to say that the landlord wasn't happy with a 12 month contract. Jibby suggested in this call that I didn't understand what a long term contract meant in London, and that these were typically a minimum of 24 months. Despite having rented numerous times in London on long term contracts of 12 months, and no other agent suggesting this during our search, we agreed to a longer contract of 18 months. Jibby said this would be OK, so long as the landlord could see our references that day. We provided these.

The next day, we were informed that another tenant had offered the asking price, but for the 24 months, despite being told that our holding deposit meant that no other offers would be accepted. We were encouraged to offer more than the asking amount to secure the property, which we felt we could not do, so we declined and therefore lost out on the property that we thought we had secured.

Despite this, after being unable to secure the property that Ludlow Thompson had assured us, they asked for salary information from my employer and continued to send me marketing information despite informing them not to send me such information. As a result of this experience, I would therefore not recommend this agency to anyone.
The agent lied about the fees that we would have to pay when we asked whilst viewing the property. While the fees were much more inline with what we expected from other agents, they were more than twice what this agent had said they would be.
By: gsh
Apr 22, 2015
Jibby Philip and Anuj Khullar were selected as the staff. I am not sure why they were removed from this review and I can't seem to edit it to add them back.

ludlowthompson