Apr 16,2015
By: 'Cat'
Apr 16,2015
My friend moved over to UK from Italy, and rented a room in a shared house via an estate agency, because he wanted something legal, with a contract.

The advert was for a double bedroom in a shared house, furnished. One room is still advertised as a double bedroom, and upon viewing it my friend liked it and decided to go for it.

After a few issues with the referencing and them dragging their feet and not telling my friend he cannot move in on the agreed date, he finally moved in 4 days alter. Luckily he called to ask otherwise he would have ended up at the house without being able to get in.

Anyway, we turned up, and the following happened:

- the key was too thick to get in the lock (you literally have to push your body weight to get it in. Same when you need to pull it out. So my friend is justifiably afraid he will eventually break the key and the door by doing this and then incur the cost for repairs. He pointed this out to the agency and they said yeah, it will get better in time as you do this repeatedly. Mind you, with 5 tenants in a shared house, doing this 4 times a day, anyone wants to make a bet how long before the invoice for door repairs comes knocking? And the agency will definitely not pay that! Or the landlord!

- the bed was a single bed. Even if the room was advertised and sold as double bedroom. Mattress is full of stains (took pictures to have it for the record). Pointed that out to the agency and they said yeah, but the contract does not mention the bed, it only mentions the room as being double. The agent when we viewed the room told us that he will get a double bed as we specifically asked about that. There is already a bed in the house in one of the rooms and we asked if we would get one which is the same. Agent said yes. On the phone agent said the furniture is new. Well, a soiled mattress is not new is it?

- no agent when we turned up to do the hand over, even when my friend asked. However he was assured in person before he signed the contract and paid the deposit that everything is in good order.
- no inventory done when the room was handed over

Otherwise the house has been newly renovated, is in good condition, clean and tidy.

My question is, are they allowed to do this and still charge for a double bedroom when it is a single bed? Landlord won't budge, and I want to take them to court as the contract was not honoured, and we were mis-sold, and the agent admitted to it verbally and apologised repeatedly. The following day they are waving the contract in our face telling us there is nothing in the contract to specify the bed is double.

Bunch of amateurs which will be taken to court, and we are in the process of contacting the property ombudsman about this as well. Stay away!
To honour the contract they miss sold!
Attached Files
They are not very proactive. My friend has tried to get updates from them, and see what the status is. Very apologetic after the contract was signed, saying there were things outside their control (like key cutting and no double bed). What did I pay for? I could have arranged the key cutting myself, and that would have been less than ‚£300.
By: Prospect Estate Agency
Apr 16, 2015
Firstly we are sorry that you feel disappointed with the service your friend has experienced via Prospect, it is of course never our intention to deliver an unsatisfactory service. We have since resolved this with the above mentioned tenant/friend and suggest that if you would like to discuss this any further that you make contact with us direct via email: maidenhead@prospect.co.uk.
By: Cat
Apr 16, 2015
After posting on Twitter the issues was resolved very quickly. A double bed was provided as initially agreed, and the Landlord provided a working key which does not need to be hammered into the lock.

All good now that the contract has been honoured for what was promised.

Thank you very much.