Apr 10,2015
By: 'DisgruntledCustomer'
Apr 10,2015
It was a real mixed bag buying through WH Brown. Oringinally very positive and helpful, most of which was dealing with the independent mortgage broker. Problems only came about regarding the £1000 buyers incentive. It is an absolute con. I do not know how they get away with offering this as it is false advertising and ties you in to completely unfair terms.

In getting the £1k buyers incentive I was told I HAD to use their chosen solicitors, Atwells in Ipswich. They wanted to charge approx £1800 for fees. I felt this was way too much and asked around. No-one quoted within £400 of this price, including Atwells themselves! Essentially you have to massively overpay on solicitors fees to get the £1k buyers incentive. Therefore it is only a £600 buyers incentive at best!

When bringing this up with the branch I was told by the manager this is a set price across the country when using Sequence Homes. The same solicitors fees whether you are buying in Newcastle or London. I find this hard to believe. If it is the case this should have been given as a charge during initial conversations with the mortgage broker. The mortgage broker coincidentally said that the price varies firm to firm and therefore they can't give a set price. This is in conflict to what the manager stated. Someone is lying.

Interestingly when I approached the vendor about the delay, they hadn't realised they had signed up to the buyers incentive and reluctantly accepted. As a result they actually lost out on a further £1000 on purchase price as I had offered the full amount.

The issue did get sorted as the vendor accepted a price £1k less than offered and I could use a solicitor who charged a reasonable amount.

I don't know who is responsible for this screw up but I am left feeling no amount of trust towards WH Brown. Subsequently I have heard similar horror stories from local people when dealing with WH Brown through both buying and letting. I would be very reluctant in using them again and urge everyone to fight their corner when confronted with hidden extras. make sure you shop around for the market price of a service and don't be conned into using their in-house services when they will end up costing you more.

I don't think Sequence Homes should be allowed to offer a buyers incentive if they are going to charge you hundreds extra for using their solicitors etc. Its not an incentive, certainly not a £1k saving! I'd be happy to discuss this further with them.

William H Brown