Apr 06,2015
By: 'Mr W'
Apr 06,2015
I chose Romans and Oliver after speaking to him a two of his competitors. The brief was to let out my 3 bedroom property which I have recently finished renovating to a very high standard. On our initial and subsequent meetings and conversations until I signed Oliver was very bouncy and positive. His initial strategy to market my property was to run an open house. Oliver was also very bullish about the level of rent he could achieve, higher than his competitors. The charges at Romans are significantly highe than their competitors and I chose Romans because I genuinely thought that they would provide a higher quality service and find a better quality tenant.

I signed (in my naivety) a 14 week exclusive contract with Romans just before Christmas. This is when things started to go wrong. Less than a week after I signed Oliver wrote to me explaining that the market had dropped off very quickly in the run up to Christmas and that the people most suited toy property were holding off until after Christmas.

The service deteriorated from this point on. Contact was only at my instigation and the proposed open house was not implemented. The only strategy Oliver proposed when I initialed contact was to reduce the rental asking price. Feedback and reporting from Oliver was very haphazard and a requested weekly report detailing what efforts he was making to let my property rarely appeared After 7 week of the exclusive contract when it became clear to all that it was not working Oliver decided that it was in both his and the customers best interest to hold the customer to the full term of the exclusive period. Only one offer was received on the property during nearly 4 months of marketing. This offer was well below market value from a tenant who did not meet the rent/income ratio and came with pets.

Finally after 14 weeks I was able to dispense with Romans and Oliver's services and I took my business to Prospect. I signed a 4 week exclusive deal. Six days later I had an offer at full market value from a recently retired couple with a healthy pension income and savings they met the income/rental ratio, had no pets, and wanted to move in almost immediately

In short my advice to any prospective landlord is to avoid Romans and Oliver at all costs
Uncompetitive for the service they provide