Mar 23,2015
By: 'Tim'
Mar 23,2015
I have been with this company for around 3 years. To start with they were fine, but then the rent started to get later and later. Phone calls and emails, sometimes answered, sometimes not, achieved very little. The tenant was paying Abbeygate on time, abbeygate weren't paying me. Sometimes, a payment wasn't made to me at all, and it arrived the following month. In the end, the lady I spoke to in the office started being very short with me, and her attitude was making it seem like it was my fault!

The only person that can seem to make a decision within the company is Ian Davis, listed as a director. However, he is rarely in the office, and messages left for him either via email, answer machine or via the woman in the office have very little result. If you do get to speak to him, he is polite and apologetic, but nothing actually changes. 90% of the time you have to speak to the woman in the office and all she says is she'll pass the message on. He does not give out his mobile number.

The reason I went with this company, even though they are at the higher end of the cost range, was the confidence I got when I interviewed Ian. He assured they would deal with any issues, up to and including going to court on my behalf if a situation arose that required involving the courts. I now know I can't even trust them to pass on my rent on time, so I dread to think what would have happened if I had really needed them to do something significant. All that I seemed to get was charged 12.5% so they could fail to pay my rent to me on a regular basis.

I am now trying to extricate myself from this company, but as usual, I am chasing a payment. This is the final payment I am trying to get out of them, the tenant is now paying me direct, so at least I won't have to go through this again. I have also just raised a complaint through the ombudsman, as I don't know what else I can do to try and get the money owed. Luckily I have kept all the emails I have sent, plus all the bank records showing the late payments, so I can show proof of the atrocious service I've received.

If you are letting, steer very well clear of this company, because if their service to me was typical, they won't be around for much longer.
By: Neil
Mar 24, 2015
Abbey Gate have ceased trading since 11th March and have shut up shop owing me and many other landlords money, they are being investigated by trading standards and the police ,the outcome which is still ongoing may result in it being categorised as fraud which the police will deal with in due course.

Abbey Gate