Mar 19,2015
By: 'Sam'
Mar 19,2015
Awful, even by estate agents standards. I won't name names as the agent was acting on behalf of the company.
I viewed a property, along with eight other prospective tenants, which wasn't available for two months.
Outlook then sparked a bidding war asking everyone to pay a holding deposit at 9am the next morning - with the first people to pay the full ‚£2,200+ figure getting the property.
We scanned forms, sent them back, and agreed to pay the holding deposit, but told them we could not afford to pay the whole fee until we had moved out of our current properties and received our deposits, and so suggested paying half now and half later.
They pushed us to pay it asap to show our commitment, and asked us to pay the holding deposit anyway.
When I asked whether others had already agreed to pay the full amount sooner, they said yes.
So they wanted our holding deposit knowing full well we wouldn't be getting the property.
When I asked why they wanted it, I was simply told that is how it works I'm afraid.
So they asked everyone (about 10 people) for holding deposits, which in itself is awful and defeats the point of such a payment, and expected us to pay the first month's rent (part of the ‚£2,200+ fee) two months before moving in.
What a disgraceful way to treat people.
Treat people with respect