Mar 17,2015
By: 'Ruth'
Mar 17,2015
I rented out my Edinburgh flat through Southside for 2.5 years, and was extremely pleased with their service from start to finish. At the start of the process, John Davidson came to the property to give me a rental valuation, and I was very impressed with his general manner and knowledge of the local rental market. Southside's information materials for prospective landlords were comprehensive, yet not overly flashy. In total I had 2 sets of tenants, and was informed about them and their circumstances prior to the start of the let so I could veto if possible. Mark Phillips did a great job of liaising with me and keeping an eye on things in the property, responding rapidly to any emails sent. Any repairs were arranged rapidly, often at a surprisingly low price (I certainly couldn't find anyone to re-seal a bath or carry out a gas safety inspection any cheaper). The only occasion on which I wanted to get something done by another supplier was when the oven needed to be replaced, and I was keen to go for a simpler model rather than the like-for-like one supplied by Southside's oven fitter. Mark was extemely helpful on this occasion as well - once I had chosen the model he ordered it on my behalf through a national chain, arranged the delivery/installation at a time which suited the tenant, and simply charged it against my next month's rent rather than asking for money up front. Southside's financial department also deserve an honourable mention, as the clearly set out monthly statements they sent made doing my tax return very simple. I took the property back over last week, as I am planning to sell up, and was impressed again to find that it was in excellent condition, with spotless carpets and barely a scratch on the furniture.
I thought the fee was well worth it for the service delivered. I suspect there are cheaper lettings agents in Edinburgh, but I doubt they are as professional. It is probably worth mentioning that whenever the tenancy was renewed I was advised to increase the rent, but never by an amount which prevented the tenants from deciding to stay on

Southside Property Management