Mar 17,2015
By: 'ATenant'
Mar 17,2015
Countrywide seems to have a corporate culture of misleading and mistreating tenants (and, from what I hear, landlords as well). They never responded to my written requests to do anything (repairs, initial cleaning, etc.) What's worse, they sometimes respond positively by phone (never in writing) but in the end, they just never carry out anything at all. Sometimes, they are just obnoxious: upon handing them my description of my flat's inventory and cleanliness, the response given by N. Scott at their office was: How do we know this is not your dirt?.

I live in fear of a real emergency happening: plumbing or boiler malfunction, or even something less major like the fridge going bad. I know I will never get any help from them. One of the toilets in my property doesn't flush properly and they haven't fixed it for more than 4 months.

Before signing the lease agreement, I asked them multiple times to email it to me for my review and consultation with a lawyer (if I considered necessary). They always promised to do so but when the signing date came, I hadn't received anything. I came 30 minutes earlier to their office to ask for it and review but was told it hasn't been written yet. When my appointment came, I was put on a chair in front of a desk and told to read the agreement and sign, if I want to. Well, of course I signed, having already terminated my previous lease, arranged movers, etc.

My recommendation to any tenant: even if you find your dream property at Countrywide -- stay away! It's not worth it.

Countrywide Scotland