Mar 09,2015
By: 'tenfour'
Mar 09,2015
My letter to the Office Manager:

Dear Mr Hunt,
Ive recently completed on a property ___________Rd, W14 ____ and have been dealing with George Jackson-Stops since November last year. The whole experience was not great from the start and certain instances have occurred where unfortunately it seems I found an estate agent who will say anything to get the sale and keep it running until completion. Ive heard lots of bad stories about this happening but thought this would be different.

Firstly my offer I was told was accepted as long as the current owners offer on their new property was accepted. George called the next day and said her offer had been accepted and so was mine at ‚£2000 higher than the day before. I told him that wasn't what we agreed, and he said what about another ‚£1000. I refused and was quite happy to forget the flat at this point. He then came back to the original price agreed.

Then I was told on email the flat would be ready by the end of January so this was a big factor in me choosing this flat. George then called and said it was more likely to be the end of March but that was almost the same as you have to account for Christmas. Just this very statement seems like he takes me for a fool. I explained that Christmas does not last 2 months.

Also I took a phone call from George and unfortunately didn't ask for email confirmation that there was work pending on the flat, re-pointing and he asked was I willing to take responsibility. I asked what the price would be and he told me around ‚£800 so I agreed. Only last month before completion I received an email from my solicitor stating the quote would be no more than ‚£3000 per flat for the work done. I emailed George and his response was that he'd told me it was ‚£3000. At such a high figure I would have asked the sellers to split the cost and certainly was not informed of this large cost Id have after purchase. This is either pure lies or incompetence.

With the buildings insurance I asked George about it the week before completion. His response is below:

''Hi ______,

The insurance is all paid for until 16/01/16. So you do not need to worry about it until then.''

My solicitor then emailed me a day later asking for over ‚£300 pro rata for the rest of buildings insurance from completion to 16/01/16. I emailed George and his response was :

''Hi _______,

You need to speak to your solicitors about this as I do not sort the legal side of things. As soon as everything is sorted out then we can exchange, I suggest calling the solicitors and giving them a rocket as if we do not exchange today then it will be delayed again until at least the middle of next week.''

If he has no knowledge or expertise in the matter he should not make statements that I have no cost until next year. As I said he says anything to keep everything ticking along. His statements telling me to chase my solicitors are also questionable as we were still waiting for items from the sellers solicitors days before completion. They held up proceedings so long that even my requested mortgage money got returned to the bank and had to be re-requested.
This was an unpleasant experience and as I said a lot of this is either lies or incompetence. I would neither recommend Winkworth or George to anyone and this has been a poor experience of buying my first London property. Buying here is a huge deal for me with the massive flat prices which is why costs I was told by George that I would not have or would be lower really leaves a black cloud over my dealings with him and Winkworth.
I look forward to your response,

Winkworth Estate Agents