Mar 05,2015
By: 'Never again'
Mar 05,2015
Terrible experience when trying to renew tenancy for short term, by one month on top of 12 month tenancy agreement. Why so short - we are leaving the country.

Tenancy was coming to an end in three months and we were asked to renew or leave. A one month extension was agreed to, we signed agreement & paid the £96 renewal fee (extortion for few admin tasks/documents). Within 4 days of the initial agreement, we were told Landlord had changed their mind and would not agree to just one month extension as this would put them into worse position when marketing the flat. Finally a two week extension was agreed to. How this is better or worse than one month, I do not know.

New agreement came from Foxtons and we promptly signed it and posted it back. Email was received to confirm. And another invoice for renewal fee of £96!

I was threatened by Section 21 when discussing the extension & I panicked and told that they could start marketing the flat straight away, which they did - first viewing was that same evening with about 4h notice. I felt I could not say no without causing further troubles for us.

Ever since we have had continuous stream of viewings, never with 24h notice, once with 1.5h notice.
We may have one viewing at 12:30, another at 5pm and another at 7.30pm. Two times no show - no cancellation - no apology for inconvenience. I am still scared to say no to this intrusions to our 'quiet life' as I fear this will cause me problems and delay in getting my deposit back.

In these few weeks I have been threatened by, lied to and felt intimidated by Foxtons.

It is a shame as the Landlord is very nice (manages the flat themselves during tenancy) and this has just made them look really bad as well.

This is not over yet unfortunately and I am feeling very stressed and anxious about the next few months and subsequent final checks and returning of the deposit. Flat is cleaner now than it was when we moved in but I still fear they will find something to argue about in the end.

Worse experience I have ever had and I have been renting for the last 23 years in different countries...
Charged twice for renewal (when they didn\'t respect the 1st agreement and bullied us to agree to a shorter one themselves) ‚£150 for check-up fee of unfurnished property - too high.
Attached Files