Aug 22,2011
Aug 22,2011
I went to check out this flat on Hamiltonhill Gardens today. The agent told me that because I'm an overseas student, I might be required to pay a double deposit (that's 1250GBP for a 2 bedroom flat). I asked him when will he know for sure and he answered: "after we start the application and you pay the 200GBP fee to take the flat off the market". I was also told that if I cancel my application (after finding out the real value of the deposit), I will not see the 200 pounds back. To me this seemed like an ordinary scam, a rip off.

Bonus point: when we got into the flat, the lovely agent looked at us like you would look at some lousy thieves: "Everything stays in the apartment, ok?" Very bitter experience indeed.
Treat me more like a customer, with a little more respect. "Everything stays in the apartment, ok?" is the phrase that deeply upset me. There was really no need for it. The possibility of paying a double deposit just because I'm not from Great Britain made me feel discriminated.
By: Scott
Aug 31, 2011
Unfortunately, as explained at the viewing, due to you not having a UK Based Guarantor (As all of our student applicants are asked to provide) then the landlord would be looking for a Higher Deposit as additional security on the tenancy, as we cannot run a proper credit or reference check on you and we have no way of proving what funding you are receiving. The £200 holding fee is to reserve the property pending successful application, if the landlord rejected your application this fee would have refunded to you, if you pulled out the deal before the move in date then you would lose the £200 holding fee.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that my explanation of our letting process has somehow been lost in translation. If you wish to discuss this matter further then please do not hesitate to contact me on 0141-333-0990.

Scott McKinnon

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Zone Letting Office 2! To leave a new review of Zone Letting Office 2, please click the link below !
Write a review for Zone Letting Office 2