Properties Glasgow - Infiniti Properties
Jul 19,2011
Jul 19,2011
Renting a flat in Edinburgh is always a risky business; there are so many letting agencies to chose from, some with a better reputation than others.

I just moved out of my flat in June, which I rented through Steyn Lettings. I lived there for 3 years, and whenever there was an issue that needed to be sorted (whether it be fixing the bioler, replacing the fridge, or fixing the kitchen) everything was handled swiftly and effectively. You have to remember that whilst it's the lettings agency who arranges the repairs, the landlord pays for it and has to agree to the work being undertaken; and that can often take a long time especially if it's going to be expensive. So whilst sometimes it might take a while to arrange things, it's not always the letting agencies fault. Despite that, I always found that repairs were carried out well, and the maintanance team were good.

I found the staff to be very professional and friendly; particularly my agent Claire who dealt with my constant stream of e-mails! Whenever I phoned or e-mailed, my queries were answered promptly.

At the end of the tenancy Steyn Lettings require you to have the flat professionaly cleaned. As we were all students, we found that this was going to be quite expensive. Steyn was very understanding and allowed us to do some of the cleaning ourselves (our rooms and hallway), which saved us quite a bit of money. They do however need a receipt for cleaning in order to release the deposit.

I would not recommend using Houseproud Edinburgh; the cleaning company we used to clean our kitchen and bathroom. I found the man who came to clean the flat to be very arrogant and extremely unhelpful. He was also supposed to clean the oven, but after checking the oven there were still burnt bits of food lying on it, and the door hadn't been cleaned properly either. I would strongly recommend avoiding Houseproud Edinburgh!

The end of the tenancy was a bit tricky; as it usually is with letting agencies. They require lots of documents that take some time to get hold of; and if you are in a rush to get your deposit back then you can think again. Steyn require all final bills (which is fine), receipts for cleaning, receipts for carpet cleaning, council tax exemption, mail redirection, bank statements to prove final bills have been paid ... the list goes on. In all, it took about two weeks to get the deposit back after moving out of the flat, and a further 5 days for the cheque to clear. Whilst it is a nuisance, I do understand why they do it. I would want to move into a clean flat, that had no outstanding debts against the address and where I didn't receive mail from the previous tenants. So whilst it is a nuisance; you can see their point.

I am glad to say that I was able to get my full deposit back, and that at the end of it all I only have positive thigns to say about Steyn Lettings.

One of the better letting agencies in Edinburgh =)
By: bereal
Oct 10, 2012
I am 100% sure that that article was written by one of the agency staffs.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Steyn Lettings Office 1! To leave a new review of Steyn Lettings Office 1, please click the link below !
Write a review for Steyn Lettings Office 1