Browse agents by letter
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES
Looking for a job in the property industry/ | allAgents Property Jobs

William H Brown

Agent rating: 1.5 out of 5.0 based on 119 ratings. This website contains 118 user reviews of William H Brown.

Offices / Branches

• 102 disapprove

...left to get your reviews in for the 2014 Estate & Letting Agent Awards

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

William H. Brown is part of Sequence(UK) Limited one of the largest national networks of estate agents throughout the country.

William H Brown has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use William H Brown, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 4)

Page last updated on: 25-Jul-2014 10:41:40

1. A 1-star review by 'Lady Smith' 24/7/2014

Branch:
    21 High Street (Ware) (Hertfordshire)
    Emma Richman, Rob Ware
    SG12

Emma RichmanRob Ware

My property is on the market for sale with two local agents neither of whom are William H. Brown.
    Yesterday 22 July 2014 I received in my post a business card from Emma Richman, Instructions Manager of William H. Brown, Ware, together with a William H. Brown compliment slip stating with her handwriting "Please contact me quoting .............". Attached to business card and compliment she had printed off my property details from Rightmove from my two independent agents and sent them to me by post. I don't need reminding of the property I am selling!
    William H. Brown are the... (read more)

2. A 1-star review by 'the buyer' 14/7/2014

Branch:
    52 High Street (Stalham) (Norfolk)
    NR29

Daniel Trett

I am a buyer having recently sold my own property to a cash buyer and requiring just a small mortgage - so I am all ready to proceed with a purchase. Property particulars were emailed from WH Brown via Zoopla about 15 Hamilton Walk. It said that it was POA and there was to be an open day in 10 days time for viewings. I rang the Stalham office and spoke to Daniel Trett who told me the price was offers over £120,000 and I booked my slot for the open day. After coming off the phone I thought it ridiculous to have to wait nearly 2 weeks just to view the property so rang back and asked if the... (read more)

3. A 1-star review by 'the buyer' 14/7/2014

Branch:
    52 High Street (Stalham) (Norfolk)
    NR29

4. 1

A 1-star review by 'pokerplayer' 9/7/2014

LS18
    Upload a reviwer profile image

We knew that buying a repossession would be tricky but William H Brown did nothing to help our cause. They are rude, abrupt and couldn't wait to get us off the phone. It took them days to return calls and emails.

The agent kept telling us "all the work needed doing on the house is just cosmetic". Well our surveyors and damp/building specialists reckoned £25k - £30k minimum before it was liveable. The agent even had the cheek to say that to the damp specialist as if she was urging him to do a quick job that wouldn't put us off the purchase.

Initially their mortgage specialist outright reject us for a mortgage without even trying to get us one, just because I was a contractor and my partner hasn't started her teaching job yet. Guess what, Halifax gave us one on the spot 2 day later. She was so rude and basically ejected us out of her office as if she just couldn't be bothered.

We are avoiding all properties marketed by William H Brown.

5. A 5-star review by 'Henry' 8/7/2014

Branch:
    23 Duke Street (Chelmsford) (Essex)
    Jack Offord, Alex Blay
    Cm1
    £275000
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Jack OffordAlex Blay

From the start the team looked after our house, they also updated us on a tough sale and even sold the house over the asking price. I would use them again, no problem.

6. A 1-star review by 'Disgusted by the service' 7/7/2014

Branch:
    6 Fair Road (bradford) (Yorkshire)
    Lettings (as a Tenant)
    BD6
    Rent PCM
    £325
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I am absolutely disgusted by the service I have received so far. The flat I have moved into is in an appalling state, if I hadn't had both my parents and my boyfriend helping me on the day I moved in I would have had to stay in a hotel. No manuals or model numbers were provided for any of the equipment so I have been unable to use certain things like the heaters because there is absolutely no way of understanding the controls and none of them appear to do anything, even though the contract states that I have to keep things adequately heated. There are lots of things broken, one of which is a... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“I THINK THEY STOLE MY MONEY AND PLAN TO DO NOTHING FOR IT.”

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“How about providing the service I paid you for instead of treating me like something you found on the bottom of your shoe?”

7. A 1-star review by 'Richard Miles' 24/6/2014

Ip31
    £700000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

My property was viewed by this company and agreed that they would not market it until agreed by me but may have clients interested. I received two e mails assuring me that my property would be only be put on the internet after my specific consent was obtained.
    They put it on the internet without my consent!

8. 1

A 2-star review by 'Steve Johnson' 13/6/2014

Branch:
    80 Queen Street Morley (Morley) (West Yorkshire)
    LS10
    £143000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I chose to sell my property with William H Brown after a fantastic sales pitch by the branch manager. However, after that initial visit things started to go down hill. I had virtually no contact from the branch manager or his team after putting my property on the market. I raised a complaint with William H Brown which was not resolved and again I was not contacted. My property was on the market for eight months and only had four viewings (3 of which I conducted myself), and absolutely no feedback from the agent. Thankfully my house did sell but, received absolutely no information from the... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“I was very dis-satisfied with the customer service, feedback and honesty, and this is an aspect this agent needs to address.”

9. A 1-star review by 'scrag' 11/6/2014

Branch:
    7-9 Cowgate (Peterborough) (Cambridgeshire)
    , fiona Peterborough
    pe2
    £105

fiona Peterborough

William H Brown certainly have their own agenda. My mum put an offer on a bungalow and it was accepted and withdrawn from the market. She took her personal info to William H Brown to photocopy and everything seemed ok. A few hours later she receives a call saying another buyer who viewed the property a month ago has put another offer in for the same price as my mum. All of a sudden the seller is considering this buyer even though she is in the same position as my mum, i.e. cash buyer, in a chain and has something selling at the time. Next thing we know, and not surprisingly, the seller is... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“they should know exactly what they need to change!”

10. A 1-star review by 'ds99' 4/6/2014

Branch:
    161 Unthank Road (Norwich) (Norfolk)
    mark bird
    nr2
    £280000

mark bird

I used them for selling my house. Awful service. Poor communication, emails and phone calls ignored. Completely incompetent. Once I had has signed the selling contract they didn't care.

1. A 1-star review by 'G L Pickup' 24/5/2014

Branch:
    8 Westgate (Huddersfield) (Yorkshire)
    Staff Member
    Charllote last name, Helen last name
    HD3
    Would you use the agent again? No

Charllote last nameHelen last name

Service was very poor , staff don't listen tp customers needs, only interest is them selves, value property at a figure the always want to reduce it , property with agent 5 months and only 5 viewings , it cost me £50 to show somebody our property that was'n't in a position to buy

2. 1

A 1-star review by 'avoid like the plague' 14/5/2014

Branch:
    40-42 King Street (Kings Lynn) (Norfolk)
    pe30
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I placed my property for sale with William H Brown instructing them that I required a quick sale, I was assured that the buyer already had a mortgage in principal (which i found out later they did not), I dropped £1000 off to use their recommended solicitors (who are absolutely useless) the property is empty costing me money and searches are coming through one at a time on a weekly basis, it is now week 12 and no end date in site. due to the solicitors and buyers acting so slow, I requested the property be placed back on the market to which William H Brown argued and encouraged me to hold out a little which I did, just to find more searches have come through which are pointless. Do not touch with a barge pole!!!!

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Useless and expensive, do not use”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  3. View All Comments (1)by Countrywide  15/05/2014

Are you sure you mean searches and not enquiries? If it is enquiries raised, then this is down to the purchasers' solicitor, not the estate agent or your solicitor. If you do mean searches then: Point 1; the speed of which searches arrive are not dictated by the estate agent nor the purchasers' conveyancer. The sooner the buyer pays for it, the sooner they can be submitted. Point 2; the type of searches that come back are not dictated or made up by the estate agent or legal conveyancer. They are what they are and they need dealing with head on to speed up a transaction. Please check your facts and the understanding of how the process works before submitting any further assumptive comments.
  4. 1

A 1-star review by 'S Dinsdale' 11/5/2014

Branch:
    10 Kingston Road (Willerby) (East Riding of Yorkshire)
    HU14
    Upload a reviwer profile image

In March 2009 I bought a property through WH Brown based in Willerby Square East Yorkshire, I later made the bad mistake of selling my own property through them. When I initially contacted them to view the property in Bishop Burton near Beverley I was told in would be at least 10 days before they had an agent available to show me round. When I finally got to view the property I was shown around with another couple which was not appropriate as I felt rushed and not able to look at my leisure. I am sure the double viewing which was highly unprofessional was done for their own convenience.
    I... (read more)

5. 2

A 1-star review by 'Thomas' 17/4/2014

Lettings (as a Tenant)
    , Rebecca Leggett
    IP3

Rebecca Leggett

Unprofessional, dishonest, obscure. Have been on tenancy since 2009. When we moved in, boiler was not connected properly, The property in general was not ready for tenants. I just made a complaint and there were awful to deal with. They even did not refer to TPO. Also they told me they do not issue deadlock letter. It is disgrace. Unprofessional customer service is like infection as almost all agents do not have dignity to accept mistakes and do things right. I have health issues and stress is immense when i deal with them. All i want is put things right. I am disappointed and unhappy. My advise to tenants is to keep records, photos, letters and start to read TPO Code of Practice for Residential Letting Agents; The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008; Protection from Eviction Act 1977. Start to learn your rights instead of believing in everything they say. Keep it positive.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Teach them customer service, customer rights, relevant legislation and finally TPO Code of Practice. Ohhhh ... and sack stuff who do not comply with it”

6. A 1-star review by 'William' 12/4/2014

PE30
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Reading these reviews I can concur . I made the mistake of 'trusting' these people for some period of time using for sales and purchases. I have had similar experiences offers not getting through to vendors. I now know its because it was sold to a friend of the area director. Losing out on another property because I wouldn't use their mortgage advisor. I have heard similar experiences from friends it is clear that they are deciding who will buy a house not on the buyer and their position, but on which one will ensure WH Brown get more out of you and of course they get more commission. Apart form being totally dishonest and unethical its got to be illegal?
    Be warned they only people they care about is themselves not you unless you have money to waste.

“Be honest?”

7. 2

A 1-star review by 'JohnH' 9/4/2014

Branch:
    28 The Village (Haxby) (North Yorkshire)
    Yo31
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Was looking to buy a new house so went in for mortgage meeting and getting fees. Said it was a good deal but ended up costing us just short of two thousand rectifying misinformation leading to policy change. Viewed house tried to ring branch to make an offer but after trying ELEVEN times gave up and drove 20 mins, went in to be told they had accepted an offer that morning. Luckily found another property with them but again contacting them was ridiculous - they never answer the phone and when they do they are the height of rude! Won't use or recommend!

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Get new staff ones who know what they\'re doing and will get the job done!!”

8. 3

A 1-star review by 'Toned.f' 22/3/2014

Branch:
    28 The Village (Haxby) (North Yorkshire)
    yo32
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Simply the worst estate agent ever. Never return phone calls, no feedback on viewings completely disinterested and an utter shambles.
    Avoid this outfit at all costs.

9. 3

A 1-star review by 'Unhappy customer!' 15/3/2014

Branch:
    3 Market place (Dereham) (Norfolk)
    Nr19
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Do not use this agent! Awful staff, unhelpful, bad attitude could go on and on. Sold house to a cash buyer according to William H Brown, turned out they were in a chain of 4 other properties. Only found this out after 2 months of me asking why I hadn't heard anything! 5 months on it still hasn't gone through so have lost thousands! Told me I had sold it for too much money so it was my own fault! Got 10k more than they suggested it was worth! Told me they don't work for me anyway-great I think the huge fee is not in accordance with this!

10. 6

A 1-star review by 'Anon' 16/1/2014

YO1
    Upload a reviwer profile image

AVOID!! It was great when the owner accepted the offer, William Brown took all my personal details, but then suddenly let someone else get the property!! It was so unfair and an absolute disgrace.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Act fairly, ethically and professionally.”

11. 4

A 1-star review by 'No Way' 14/1/2014

Branch:
    47 High Road (Broxbourne) (Greater London)
    Daniel Gordon Wright
    EN9

Daniel Gordon Wright

Dishonest, lazy and incompetent.

Do not trust this branch of William H Brown with your time, money or information. They do not comply with their own codes of practice or the law. They show no remorse when they are caught red handed breaking their own rules. Their senior management and head office staff are like minded. This company is untrustworthy at every level. Find another agent, you will regret using this one.

1. 1

A 4-star review by 'IpswichReviewer' 17/12/2013

Lettings (as a Landlord)
    IP1
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

lincoln lincoln

Found Laura to be very good and professional. Found us a tenant quickly and everything was done very well. Thank you.

2. 7

A 1-star review by 'CCS1812' 9/12/2013

Branch:
    18-19 Sheep Market (Spalding) (Lincolnshire)
    PE11
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Very little explained about why they were taking £240 deposit - Turns out you have to pay this for marketing (even if they don't sell it). You can only get the £240 back if you use their solicitors IF you sell. Be warned this is one massive scam to get £240 for doing nothing. Would never use them again and intend to make sure that as many people I know do not either. I have 2 other properties to sell and would not let William H Brown anywhere near them. If you are reading this I strongly recommend you do the same. If you must use them, read the small print and look for the deposit con trick. Never ever been charged like this by an agent before and won't again! AVOID AT ALL COSTS

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Close down and let decent honest agents sell property without using con tricks to make money even when they do nothing for it.”

3. 3

A 1-star review by 'Tracy' 12/11/2013

Lettings (as a Landlord)
    CM7
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I used W H Brown to find a 'suitable' tenant for my property after my current tenants had decided to move out. I had problems with them from the start. They hurried me to get my tenants out as the tenant they had found somebody who was desperate to move in asap. Well that took weeks. I had to chase the deposit, the rent and was ill advised. I was heavily pregnant at the time so I really wanted to leave this to the agents to deal with. I paid them the fee to purely find the tenant and carry out the necessary checks on the tenant. I was completely misled with a totally unsuitable tenant. ... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Been upfront and honest and offered me a refund for such a poor, unprofessional service.”

4. 5

A 1-star review by 'Totallyfedup1' 9/11/2013

Mat Hardy-King
    IP3

Mat Hardy-King

Today (07/11/13) I have been gazumped courtesy of the Ipswich branch of William H Brown. Things got off to a bad start from day one so I should have followed my gut instinct and got the hell out of there.
    Initially, they informed me that the Vendor would agree a certain figure and then when I offered it, didn’t bother to get back to me. I contacted the Vendor myself, a week later, and was told that they had never informed William H Brown they would accept that figure in the first place and had immediately rejected the offer. This probably explains why William H Brown didn’t bother to... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“They could do what they are paid to do which is sell properties.”

5. 2

A 1-star review by 'Angela Halsall' 1/11/2013

PE15
    Upload a reviwer profile image

AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!!!!!
    I have never dealt with so many INCOMPETENT people in all my life!!!!!
    Since the 4th Oct 2013 I wanted to view a property giving all details over he phone....
    By the 9th October I emailed for progress....
    on the 21st October I was asked if the information I had received from my query was of interest???
    After abject apologies I gave the only available dates for viewing and was persuaded to have an appraisal of my home - 25th October day of the appraisal and still no confirmation for viewing the property I was interested in...
    After chatting to Joshua... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Far too much to say!!!!!”

6. 3

A 1-star review by 'Annoyed Colchester Seller' 23/10/2013

Branch:
    141 High Street (Colchester) (Essex)
    CO1
    Upload a reviwer profile image

What can I say? Great valuer getting you to sign on the dotted line but from there we have been all but abandoned. Lazy marketing and mistakes on website despite prompts. Still waiting for response to a written concern after nearly 2 days. Interestingly we have registered as a potential buyer with 5 Estate Agents locally - all of whom call regularly. William H Brown have not called us once. We have to continually call them. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“1) Better marketing. Floor plan was a poor photo copy of one I handed top them myself (despite being told that they do their own). More care on description. I could describe an apple more positively than the bullet point approach used to market my property. 2) Response to complaint letter? It is 48 hrs after sending a letter to the Sales Manager, expressing my disappointment, and I am still waiting for a response... At my office, unless there is an auto \"holiday response\" I would be expected to respond within 24 hrs. 3) We are registered with 5 Estate Agents to view properties, including WHB. We have not had a single call from WHB offering a potentially suitable property. We have had to be proactive in calling them. Other local Estate Agents seem far more proactive.”

7. 3

A 1-star review by 'Disappointed buyer' 15/10/2013

Branch:
    32 Upper Parliament Street (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    NG8
    Upload a reviwer profile image

The worst estate agency I have ever had to deal with!
    Rude, arrogant, full of BS, are a few of the services that are on offer when trying to buy a house.

I'm a FTB and I've had to walk away from my dream home due to the treatment from this agency.

8. 4

A 1-star review by 'N' 26/9/2013

Branch:
    7-9 Cowgate (Peterborough) (Cambridgeshire)
    pe2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Took 7 days to get it on line and then the information and floor plan were wrong, when queried about the floor plan I was told "we got it from another agent" which is obviously a lie as we've not been on before OR they have used another "similar" property. No mention of Garage, a reasonably important part of the information, some rooms had double glazing in the description when they hadn't.
    I had to do all the chasing and two hours after first being told someone would call me back I rang to cancel with them.
    They didn't care.
    I recommend that no one uses this branch of WH Brown

9. 7

A 1-star review by 'cags1962' 24/9/2013

Branch:
    3536 Silver Street (Lincoln) (Lincolnshire)
    ln5

lincoln lincoln

Well what can i say that hasnt been already
    William Brown couldnt sell a dolls house without messing the sale up

i had an offer on my home and was told it would only take 4 weeks to go thru
    5 months later it was still going through .The main reason being lack of communication.
    They never ring you to let you know how your sale is going then they said there had been ovehey r 20 viewings they only told me of 8
    When you do finally get through they never listen just preach
    they never talk to you with respect
    they purposely over valued the house
    staff so so rude
    PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THESE COWBOYS

10. 5

A 1-star review by 'had hoped to move' 16/9/2013

Branch:
    16 Church Street (Woodbridge) (Suffolk)
    IP12
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I registered in good faith with this company and received a visit. The visit seemed very detailed, however there was a lot of emphasis on trying to sell me expensive marketing which I did not want. I also asked to be kept in the loop with any houses for sale in Woodbridge or Melton.

We received no such emails or any decent contact regarding property for sale, and with regard to our own house, phone calls not returned, even when we had a viewing. There is presumably a problem with customer relations and the way staff are trained, a real shame, as I had initially had confidence. I shall not recommend them to anybody in a thirty mile radius, and have heard similar from neighbours what a let down, all hype and no action. The lack of returning phone calls even after a viewing the height of rudeness i guess the agents were all terribly busy closing the deal on their commissions elsewhere.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“re train the entire company”

Page: