Browse agents by letter
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

William H Brown

Agent rating: 1.5 out of 5.0 based on 105 ratings. This website contains 104 user reviews of William H Brown.

Offices / Branches

• 89 disapprove

...left to get your reviews in for the 2014 allAgents People Awards

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

William H. Brown is part of Sequence(UK) Limited one of the largest national networks of estate agents throughout the country.

William H Brown has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use William H Brown, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 4)

Page last updated on: 17-Apr-2014 17:58:20

1. A 1-star review by 'Thomas' 17/4/2014

, Rebecca Leggett
    IP3
    Would you use the agent again? No

Unprofessional, dishonest, obscure. Have been on tenancy since 2009. When we moved in, boiler was not connected properly, The property in general was not ready for tenants. I just made a complaint and there were awful to deal with. They even did not refer to TPO. Also they told me they do not issue deadlock letter. It is disgrace. Unprofessional customer service is like infection as almost all agents do not have dignity to accept mistakes and do things right. I have health issues and stress is immense when i deal with them. All i want is put things right. I am disappointed and unhappy. My advise to tenants is to keep records, photos, letters and start to read TPO Code of Practice for Residential Letting Agents; The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008; Protection from Eviction Act 1977. Start to learn your rights instead of believing in everything they say. Keep it positive.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Teach them customer service, customer rights, relevant legislation and finally TPO Code of Practice. Ohhhh ... and sack stuff who do not comply with it”

2. A 1-star review by 'JohnH' 9/4/2014

28 The Village
    YO31
    Would you use the agent again? No

Was looking to buy a new house so went in for mortgage meeting and getting fees. Said it was a good deal but ended up costing us just short of two thousand rectifying misinformation leading to policy change. Viewed house tried to ring branch to make an offer but after trying ELEVEN times gave up and drove 20 mins, went in to be told they had accepted an offer that morning. Luckily found another property with them but again contacting them was ridiculous - they never answer the phone and when they do they are the height of rude! Won't use or recommend!

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Get new staff ones who know what they\'re doing and will get the job done!!”

3. 1

A 1-star review by 'Toned.f' 22/3/2014

28 The Village
    YO32
    Would you use the agent again? No

Simply the worst estate agent ever. Never return phone calls, no feedback on viewings completely disinterested and an utter shambles.
    Avoid this outfit at all costs.

4. 1

A 1-star review by 'Unhappy customer!' 15/3/2014

3 Market place
    NR19
    Would you use the agent again? No

Do not use this agent! Awful staff, unhelpful, bad attitude could go on and on. Sold house to a cash buyer according to William H Brown, turned out they were in a chain of 4 other properties. Only found this out after 2 months of me asking why I hadn't heard anything! 5 months on it still hasn't gone through so have lost thousands! Told me I had sold it for too much money so it was my own fault! Got 10k more than they suggested it was worth! Told me they don't work for me anyway-great I think the huge fee is not in accordance with this!

5. 4

A 1-star review by 'Anon' 16/1/2014

YO1
    Would you use the agent again? No

AVOID!! It was great when the owner accepted the offer, William Brown took all my personal details, but then suddenly let someone else get the property!! It was so unfair and an absolute disgrace.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Act fairly, ethically and professionally.”

6. 2

A 1-star review by 'No Way' 14/1/2014

47 High Road
    Daniel Gordon Wright
    EN9
    Would you use the agent again? No

Dishonest, lazy and incompetent.

Do not trust this branch of William H Brown with your time, money or information. They do not comply with their own codes of practice or the law. They show no remorse when they are caught red handed breaking their own rules. Their senior management and head office staff are like minded. This company is untrustworthy at every level. Find another agent, you will regret using this one.

7. 1

A 4-star review by 'IpswichReviewer' 17/12/2013

lincoln lincoln
    IP1
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Found Laura to be very good and professional. Found us a tenant quickly and everything was done very well. Thank you.

8. 6

A 1-star review by 'CCS1812' 9/12/2013

18-19 Sheep Market
    PE11
    Would you use the agent again? No

Very little explained about why they were taking £240 deposit - Turns out you have to pay this for marketing (even if they don't sell it). You can only get the £240 back if you use their solicitors IF you sell. Be warned this is one massive scam to get £240 for doing nothing. Would never use them again and intend to make sure that as many people I know do not either. I have 2 other properties to sell and would not let William H Brown anywhere near them. If you are reading this I strongly recommend you do the same. If you must use them, read the small print and look for the deposit con trick. Never ever been charged like this by an agent before and won't again! AVOID AT ALL COSTS

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Close down and let decent honest agents sell property without using con tricks to make money even when they do nothing for it.”

9. 2

A 1-star review by 'Tracy' 12/11/2013

CM7
    Would you use the agent again? No

I used W H Brown to find a 'suitable' tenant for my property after my current tenants had decided to move out. I had problems with them from the start. They hurried me to get my tenants out as the tenant they had found somebody who was desperate to move in asap. Well that took weeks. I had to chase the deposit, the rent and was ill advised. I was heavily pregnant at the time so I really wanted to leave this to the agents to deal with. I paid them the fee to purely find the tenant and carry out the necessary checks on the tenant. I was completely misled with a totally unsuitable tenant. ... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Been upfront and honest and offered me a refund for such a poor, unprofessional service.”

10. 3

A 1-star review by 'Totallyfedup1' 9/11/2013

Mat Hardy-King
    IP3
    Would you use the agent again? No

Today (07/11/13) I have been gazumped courtesy of the Ipswich branch of William H Brown. Things got off to a bad start from day one so I should have followed my gut instinct and got the hell out of there.
    Initially, they informed me that the Vendor would agree a certain figure and then when I offered it, didn’t bother to get back to me. I contacted the Vendor myself, a week later, and was told that they had never informed William H Brown they would accept that figure in the first place and had immediately rejected the offer. This probably explains why William H Brown didn’t bother to... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“They could do what they are paid to do which is sell properties.”

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'Angela Halsall' 1/11/2013

PE15
    Would you use the agent again? No

AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!!!!!
    I have never dealt with so many INCOMPETENT people in all my life!!!!!
    Since the 4th Oct 2013 I wanted to view a property giving all details over he phone....
    By the 9th October I emailed for progress....
    on the 21st October I was asked if the information I had received from my query was of interest???
    After abject apologies I gave the only available dates for viewing and was persuaded to have an appraisal of my home - 25th October day of the appraisal and still no confirmation for viewing the property I was interested in...
    After chatting to Joshua... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Far too much to say!!!!!”

2. 1

A 1-star review by 'Annoyed Colchester Seller' 23/10/2013

141 High Street
    CO1
    Would you use the agent again? No

What can I say? Great valuer getting you to sign on the dotted line but from there we have been all but abandoned. Lazy marketing and mistakes on website despite prompts. Still waiting for response to a written concern after nearly 2 days. Interestingly we have registered as a potential buyer with 5 Estate Agents locally - all of whom call regularly. William H Brown have not called us once. We have to continually call them. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“1) Better marketing. Floor plan was a poor photo copy of one I handed top them myself (despite being told that they do their own). More care on description. I could describe an apple more positively than the bullet point approach used to market my property. 2) Response to complaint letter? It is 48 hrs after sending a letter to the Sales Manager, expressing my disappointment, and I am still waiting for a response... At my office, unless there is an auto \"holiday response\" I would be expected to respond within 24 hrs. 3) We are registered with 5 Estate Agents to view properties, including WHB. We have not had a single call from WHB offering a potentially suitable property. We have had to be proactive in calling them. Other local Estate Agents seem far more proactive.”

3. 2

A 1-star review by 'Disappointed buyer' 15/10/2013

32 Upper Parliament Street
    NG8
    Would you use the agent again? No

The worst estate agency I have ever had to deal with!
    Rude, arrogant, full of BS, are a few of the services that are on offer when trying to buy a house.

I'm a FTB and I've had to walk away from my dream home due to the treatment from this agency.

4. 3

A 1-star review by 'N' 26/9/2013

7-9 Cowgate
    PE2
    Would you use the agent again? No

Took 7 days to get it on line and then the information and floor plan were wrong, when queried about the floor plan I was told "we got it from another agent" which is obviously a lie as we've not been on before OR they have used another "similar" property. No mention of Garage, a reasonably important part of the information, some rooms had double glazing in the description when they hadn't.
    I had to do all the chasing and two hours after first being told someone would call me back I rang to cancel with them.
    They didn't care.
    I recommend that no one uses this branch of WH Brown

5. 5

A 1-star review by 'cags1962' 24/9/2013

3536 Silver Street
    lincoln lincoln
    LN5
    Would you use the agent again? No

Well what can i say that hasnt been already
    William Brown couldnt sell a dolls house without messing the sale up

i had an offer on my home and was told it would only take 4 weeks to go thru
    5 months later it was still going through .The main reason being lack of communication.
    They never ring you to let you know how your sale is going then they said there had been ovehey r 20 viewings they only told me of 8
    When you do finally get through they never listen just preach
    they never talk to you with respect
    they purposely over valued the house
    staff so so rude
    PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THESE COWBOYS

6. 4

A 1-star review by 'had hoped to move' 16/9/2013

16 Church Street
    IP12
    Would you use the agent again? No

I registered in good faith with this company and received a visit. The visit seemed very detailed, however there was a lot of emphasis on trying to sell me expensive marketing which I did not want. I also asked to be kept in the loop with any houses for sale in Woodbridge or Melton.

We received no such emails or any decent contact regarding property for sale, and with regard to our own house, phone calls not returned, even when we had a viewing. There is presumably a problem with customer relations and the way staff are trained, a real shame, as I had initially had confidence. I shall not recommend them to anybody in a thirty mile radius, and have heard similar from neighbours what a let down, all hype and no action. The lack of returning phone calls even after a viewing the height of rudeness i guess the agents were all terribly busy closing the deal on their commissions elsewhere.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“re train the entire company”

7. 2

A 1-star review by 'Ashlee' 3/9/2013

23 Duke Street
    Kevin Hunt
    CM77
    Would you use the agent again? No

Complete waste of space! These people are totally incompetent. No matter what price they promise me I would never ever use them. They do not get back to you, give you false information and when you start complaining they are rude and have no customer service. Our property purchase was a nightmare due to their incompetence and lack of professionalism.

I can only warn any potential seller or buyer to use them

8. 3

A 1-star review by 'Buyer' 27/8/2013

21 Market Square
    Michelle Bartlett
    BD17
    Would you use the agent again? No

I have the worst, arrogant and prejudiced service from this branch. They have favoured a second buyer who came in after me, offering LESS money. My higher offers for the property have not been entertained by William H Brown. The whole process has been farcical from start to finish with William H Brown staff playing God, in what should be a regulated, legally binding process of selling a repossessed property. Arrogant, jumped up administrators who should not be let loose on innocent people trying to buy a home.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Treat me like a human being.”

9. A 1-star review by 'LEICESTER12' 20/8/2013

16-18 Halford Street
    LE51
    Would you use the agent again? No

Start well with a busy well spoken salesman who promised the earth , after marketing for 6 weeks held an open day [there advice ] no one attended . reduced the price still no interest . All this time never a phone call from them , numerous calls from us answer with will call you back no return calls .Time marches on held another open day and reduce the cost again still no viewing and unless we call them no up dated on the marketing . If you thinking of selling find an agent who know what the are doing , who return telephone calls .
    My advise do not touch WILLIAM h BROWN WITH A BARGE POLE

10. 4

A 1-star review by 'Capemarsh' 20/8/2013

20 High Street
    IP27
    Would you use the agent again? No

This is a warning to both landlords and tenants to avoid William H Brown. We rented a house through them. After agreeing to rent the property, communication with William H Brown was mainly through a busy, inefficient and impersonal call centre in Leighton Buzzard which exists to 'manage' all rental properties of the whole 'Sequence' group of estate agents, which includes William H Brown. We reported a number of problems with our property, including two separate leaks, multiple times and got no effective response and no repair after 2 months. Eventually, having been forced to contact our... (read more)

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'Tom' 20/8/2013

141 High Street
    Terry Buy, David Courtney-Couch
    CO3
    Would you use the agent again? No

Worst experience with an estate agent ever - and that is saying something. After the slick marketing pitch, it went rapidly downhill.

The main issues are as follows:

- I was fed a catalogue of lies from the team in Colchester, who were not at all truthful with me throughout the process
    - I accepted a low offer on the basis that we would complete the transaction on 19 July. William H Brown never communicated this date to the buyers!
    - Terry had promised that the buyers' mortgage application was complete during the first week after I had accepted the offer - again, a blatant lie (it... (read more)

2. 1

A 1-star review by 'Sandy' 15/8/2013

IP2
    Would you use the agent again? No

William H Brown are an absolute joke and I’m disgusted with the service we have (or haven’t as the case actually is!) received since we rented a property through them. Finding the property was the easy part. Once we’d found it and agreed to rent it, we were asked to go in, sign the paperwork and pay the deposit, which was one month’s rent. This was fine, we got the money together and I went down to pay. When I got there, I was told that I would have to pay the deposit PLUS another month’s rent upfront, totalling almost £1,500! This wasn’t explained to me beforehand and I... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“They could have acknowledged us at some point during our tenancy.”

3. A 5-star review by 'Angela' 13/8/2013

23-24 Market Hill
    Marie-Kate
    No postcode selected.
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

A fantastic service from Maire-Kate at William H Brown, Sudbury. Always available to speak to us, finding us the perfect tenant and guiding us through our first time experience of letting. Very highly recommend to anyone looking for first class service at a very good price. Very fair and comprehensive rates. Thank you !

4. 2

A 1-star review by 'Karnation8' 8/8/2013

1 Arndale Centre Otley Road Headingley
    LS16
    Would you use the agent again? No

If you want a professional estate agent to sell your house, be warned and do not use William Brown in Headingley. They lied to the tenants and told them they could have furniture when I expressed that I would like to rent the flat unfurnished. They do not take your instructions seriously or they forget to write it down. When it has put the tenants out, they lie and blame the landlord. They refused to give me my tenants numbers eventually when they did it all became clear the extent of their non professionalism. I am appalled, shocked and disappointed at the level of service I have received!!! They told the tenants that they could have beds and told me that the tenants insisted or else they would not move in!!! This was an outright lie, to screw up something that could be very simple. Worst of all is the lying!!! When confronted all they do is shift the blame and refuse to apologize.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Refund the money on the furniture that they made me buy for no reason. Apologize for the lying. Pay attention to what the landlords are saying they should write it down give it to the landlord for confirmation.”

5. 3

A 1-star review by 'Disgusted.com' 2/8/2013

75 Southgate
    NG
    Would you use the agent again? No

Absolute disgrace. Take £1800 up front and get the fleas free. Had to call out a pest control late at night as could not move in. House dirty oven still previous persons food. Toilets bath shower filthy. Were told a deep clean! No not even a little one. Never get called back! Give me a job I will show you how it's done!! Disgusting not happy bunnies.

“Customer service. Truth.”

6. 3

A 1-star review by 'buyer' 11/7/2013

32 Upper Parliament Street
    Buying agent
    NG3
    Would you use the agent again? No

dodgiest estate agent and bunch of lier and time waster people i have ever seen and dealt with.
    well I viewed the property, made an offer and my offer was accepted then I arranged a solicitor to do paper works. about 4-5 days after that the property was still in market for sale and they were viewing to people they didnot mark as sold.
    5 days later they called and said they have got a higher offer, you need to increase your offer I said ok and I inceased my offer higher than the one they had, but they put the property as sold same day they had offer from another buyer and despite all this my offer was still higher than third party, they been wasting my time lying to me at the end they said we don't wanna sell it to you.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“briefly they have got NO manner, attitude. they are dishonest and unfair.”

7. 1

A 1-star review by 'Mat' 8/7/2013

80 Bridge Street
    Property Management
    S25
    Would you use the agent again? No

I chose w h browns to manger my property while I went travelling they told me that they would deal with the whole letting from start to finish. They found a tenant with good references they told me, so it was all finalised and I left for abroad.
    Two months into the tenancy the tenant defaulted payment and refused to pay, w h browns told me they would deal with this,this is what you pay us for. So it's now 4 months later and the tenant is still refusing to pay and w h browns inform me they issued him with a section 21 for rent arrears and that's all hey can do! So I'm now sending money home to pay for some delinquent to live in my house and I can't do anything about. I now have sort a solicitor out myself from abroad to take it to court, which they inform can take months and cost me plus pay my mortgage. If you are a landlord there is no help or protection for you.

8. A 5-star review by 'Mr & Mrs P' 1/7/2013

23-24 Market Hill
    Courtney Martin
    CO10
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

We were very pleased with the service we received from William H Brown in Sudbury in regards to our move from Wisbech to the area. The staff were helpful, kind and nothing seemed to be too much trouble giving us a bit of strength as we have never moved into rented accomadation and we were very worried, we felt assured when we spoke to Courtney. I am impressed with her and hope she will be able to help us when the time comes to vacate this property and find another. The service really was second to none!!

9. 2

A 2-star review by 'Andrew Robinson' 31/5/2013

7-9 Cowgate
    PE6
    Would you use the agent again? No

Shambolic, incredulous, exasperated, dissatisfied… words that should not still be associated with estate agents in this day and age, but William H Brown in Peterborough have managed to do so when trying to sell my property. To be a lesson for them to improve their poor customer service, and to warn potential sellers in the meantime, I have written this review.

Over the period of 3 months I had one viewing. If they provided good customer service you would expect that they would contact you to explore ways of attracting more viewings. This didn’t happen and instead I had to contact... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“My tips to William H Brown: take better photographs, be more proactive, contact your vendors more regularly with helpful advice, always confirm details before proceeding and train your staff to be more professional (taking ownership and responsibility).”

10. 1

A 1-star review by '0781matt' 29/5/2013

3536 Silver Street
    LN5
    Would you use the agent again? No

Diabolical customer service. Refused to forward an offer to vendor unless I came to see their in house mortgage adviser. As soon as you tell them you do not want mortgage advice, and are not interested in the £1000 buyers incentive, (which involves you using their mortgage service and conveyancing), things turn sour. Was told I was being difficult because I would not come into branch for mortgage advice there and then. Never have I had an agent refuse to forward an offer. Wm H Brown are not interested in selling houses, only in getting kick backs from their other services, which they link sell to people by using bullying tactics and speaking to you in a vile manner. SELLERS BEWARE, WILLIAM H BROWN WILL SCARE OFF POTENTIAL PURCHASERS WITH THIS BEHAVIOUR.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Stop using pushy sales tactics, listen to people and respect individuals wishes about which of your services they wish to use.”

Page: