Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

William H Brown

Agent rating: 1.6 out of 5.0 based on 135 ratings. This website contains 134 user reviews of William H Brown.

Offices / Branches

• 24 recommend
  • 111 disapprove

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

William H. Brown is part of Sequence(UK) Limited one of the largest national networks of estate agents throughout the country.

William H Brown has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use William H Brown, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 5)

Page last updated on: 20-Oct-2014 14:06:29

1. A 1-star review by 'Sarah' 20/10/2014

Jessica Carney, Rebecca Leggett
    Co4
    £650

Jessica CarneyRebecca Leggett

Absolutely APPALLING customer service from this branch. Multiple problems with the place we were renting, problems were not sorted for sometimes up to 2 whole months. Other things were not fully explained to us in contract and information withheld. Cannot believe this branch gets any clients that go with them, steer well clear!!!!!!!!!

Comments on the Agents fees

“LUCKY TO GET THE AMOUNT WE PAID FOR WHAT WE RECEIVED!”

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Awful agent. Advise you to rethink your staffing.”

2. A 1-star review by 'Abb' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    Unit C1 , 6 Peak Square (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    Karen Cunningham
    S21
    £475

Karen Cunningham

Karen thinks she can talk down to people like me because of my age! I advise no one to use William h brown all Iv had is trouble off them! Waste of space

3. A 5-star review by 'Kate' 16/10/2014

£119000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Everyone at this branch is helpful. And have been for the 4 years we have had relations with them. We have recomended them to friends and family in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

4. A 1-star review by 'Fergs' 15/10/2014

They arranged our mortgage
    CM1
    £230000

Absolutely appalling service.

At first seemed really efficient in making sure that I handed over my money. After that customer care and service plummeted.

While trying to get a mortgage lender I was originally told that for the amount I needed it would be no problem. I then handed my money over and got an email saying "Lenders won't lend more than 5 times your salary" . . . . they knew my wage from the off start so this shouldn't of been news to them.

Luckily we did find a lender (after much confusion between two where they forgot to tell me which one they were using).... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“ONCE YOU PAY THEY STOP CARING.”

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“To improve they need to be better with communication of whats going on as well as I have a wider knowledge of what lenders need and how to best inform a first buyer of the process.”

5. A 1-star review by 'mamf' 29/9/2014

Matthew Bramham
    cm1
    £1250

Matthew Bramham

I would rate this agency worse than 'terrible', but unfortunately this was the lowest rating supplied.

Do not use this letting agency, their professionalism and customer care is appalling. They didn't provide a copy of the tenancy agreement and the property that my parents moved into was absolutely disgusting - they found bits of old dog bone in the kitchen. The bathroom, toilet, oven, grill, sink, draining board and every work surface was filthy despite being assured that it would be clean on arrival. On the day they moved, we called them to say that the property needs to be professionally cleaned because it was so dirty, however there was no one in the agency office who could help because all the Lettings staff were 'out on a conference'. On the next day, the follow up service provided by Matthew was terrible - he didn't return phone calls nor call back when he said he would. My parents are elderly and the stress they've caused them is appalling.

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE AMOUNT PAID WAS WAY OVER THE TOP FOR THE CONDITION OF THE PROPERTY WHEN MY PARENTS FIRST MOVED IN. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE PROVIDED BY THE AGENCY WAS TERRIBLE - IF I WAS THAT BAD AT MY JOB, I WOULD GET SACKED.”

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“They should have: - provided a copy of the contract as soon as it was signed. - ensured that the property they agreed to rent out was in an acceptable condition. - had a representative from the Lettings side of the office available who could deal with problems. - kept the tenants informed of events and provided an update of what was happening. - returned phone calls when they said they would. - had a \'plan B\' option for when they couldn\'t contact the landlord - they said they couldn\'t arrange for cleaners to clean the property because they had to have permission from the landlord first, but what is the contingency plan if they can\'t contact the landlord? There must be a second option otherwise my parents are sitting in a dirty, filthy house.”

6. A 5-star review by 'Rebecca' 21/9/2014

Jack Offord
    Cm2
    £145000

Jack Offord

Thanks to an open house that was run from the branch I had 10 viewings.? On the day jack came down and managed to get me THree offers, I accepted the 2nd highest offer which was still 2000 higher then my asking price. Jack and Ash rang me throughout the sale and always kept me updated.

7. A 1-star review by 'disgruntelled landlord' 19/9/2014

Branch:
    75 Southgate (Sleaford) (Lincolnshire)
    Lettings (as a Landlord)
    ng34
    £645
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I bought the property from the agent and decided that they could have the opportunity to rent the property out for me. Catalogue of disasters from start to finish - have moved the property to another agent and still having problems a week later. I gave them notice i was transfering agency at least two months ago.

No one in W H Brown seems to take responsibility for the action and passes the "buck" to someone else. The people in the sleaford office rent out the property - then if you as a tenant or i as a landlord have a repair issue it then goes to another office and payments of rent and bond etc paid to another place again - absolutely silly.

Please someone in head office or management in Sleaford address this situation for everyones sake

Remember - people eventually get sick of asking people to do there job and protest by moving agent. Also tenants please remember that the landlord may be on the other side of the see-saw fighting to get things right but without professional, knowledgeable management

8. A 1-star review by 'Bertram' 14/9/2014

CO4
    £700
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Utterly hopeless. I tried to arrange viewings a week in advance and was told this was not possible and, after having given my details was told to call on the day I wished to view properties- and this would be "absolutely 100% no problem," in the agents own words. Upon calling back (on the day), the member of staff had no recollection of this, and did not have any of my details. No properties were available to view as at least 24 hours notice was required! I was then given details of a potential property, only to later discover the landlord did not yet own it! Complete waste of time.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Tell the truth. Be vaguely helpful in any way.”

9. A 5-star review by 'D. Theobald' 11/9/2014

, Lisa Dove
    £163500

Lisa Dove

I have just (24hrs ago) sold and purchased another property all through William H Browns of Sudbury, Suffolk. The help and assistance they provided from the day they came round to value my property was excellent. We did not have the easiest sellers in our chain, but the managed to get us all across the finish line. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking to sell their house. Both Lisa Dove and Morgen Sneezum we very helpful and available on the phone instantly which puts your mind at rest.
    My thanks go to the team at Sudbury.

Comments on the Agents fees

“OF THE THREE AGENTS I SELECTED TO VALUE MY HOUSE, WILLIAM H BROWNS GAVE ME THE BEST VALUATION OF WHICH THEY ACHIEVED JUST £500 OFF THAT PRICE IN THE ACTUAL SALE, AND THEIR FEE\'S WERE THE BEST VALUE AS WELL.”

10. A 1-star review by 'Jan C' 22/8/2014

Branch:
    30 High Street (Halstead) (Essex)
    Co9

1. Did not get property details to us until cooling off period finished
    2. Photos so awful they had to be re done. Then offered professional photos for third attempt (done by a freelance solar panel man - they were even worse. Then published thesis without our consent)
    3. Written details so bad we had to rewrite them ourselves
    4. gave themselves two days from published paperwork to arrange open house - we queried this but were told it was fine - no one turned up.
    5. Second open house no better - we checked our security camera - only one attendee who we understand had a budget of £50k... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“FEES PAYABLE ONLY ON COMPLETION - HOUSE NOW WITHDRAWN FROM SALE”

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Allowed us the opportunity to view details in time to exercise our rights of cooling off - not send late (and that only following phone calls requesting sight of details)”

1. A 5-star review by 'Caroline noble' 16/8/2014

Marie-Kate
    Co8

Marie-Kate

Mary Kate went the extra mile after our house fire Whbrown had no rentals on the market
    That would suit us so she thought outside the box and had an idea of ringing a gentleman who had house for sale and asked him if he would be interested in renting. Thanks to her help and hard work sorting it all out so quickly it was stress free easy and no hassle. Both Mary Kate and Courtney helped us out. Always friendly made me giggle at a very hard time but professional if I'm Ever in the situation where I could rent, buy or sell i would go to whbrown. Mary Kate managed to help with insurance company made it all very straight forward even when the insurance dragged their feet whbrown still sorted it so we were in the day I wanted. It has been a very stressful few weeks as we lost everything but with whbrowns help we found a lovely place. Couldn't thank you guys enough :) caz noble

Comments on the Agents fees

“AGAIN VERY FAIR MADE IT CLEAR AT START NO HIDDEN COST VERY PROFESSIONAL AND REASONABLE :) HAPPY”

2. A 1-star review by 'Becca' 12/8/2014

Branch:
    14 Wharf Street (Sowerby Bridge) (West Yorkshire)
    hx6
    £100000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I bought a property that was listed through William H Brown in Sowerby Bridge.
    They were utterly unhelpful, rude and disinterested in the sale. I booked the initial viewing, phoned up in the morning to confirm before driving 150 miles to see the property. When I got there, there was no one to meet me. I called them again, they claimed that they had no one available and I hadn't confirmed the viewing! I demanded that they get someone out asap, so Julia came out, after I'd been stood outside the property waiting for over 40 minutes. Luckily some of the neighbours saw me waiting and came... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE AGENT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO EARN THEIR FEES. I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN TO COURT TO RECLAIM THE FEES THEY DID CHARGE.”

3. 2

A 1-star review by 'A very annoyed potential customer' 4/8/2014

Branch:
    16-18 Halford Street (Leicester) (Leicestershire)
    Le
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Possibly the worst customer service experience I have ever had. Two failed appointments, no courtesy calls. There is a mass communication breakdown within this office and to me it seems they do not want to sell properties but string customers along. Both occasions exactly the same and having driven 45 minutes and leaving work early to get to the site wasn't bad enough there was no one there to meet us either.
    When I eventually managed to get to the site on the third appointment which mind you took 7 chaser calls to organise to view the property I was told it hadn't been built yet and was given a floor plan so I should have an idea if what I was buying... A huge waste of time neither the right hands knows what it is doing from the left .. I will advise anyone I can to stay away !!!

4. A 1-star review by 'Mary' 30/7/2014

Becky Poulter
    CO4
    £950

Becky Poulter

I am very disappointed with the service I received from William H Brown in Colchester. I saw an advert for a property listed on a property website and no administration fees were advertised, and so I thought that it would be a good idea to ring up William H Brown lettings and arrange a viewing. It was confirmed that there was no administration fees, however, what was not mentioned was that there was a £120 guarantor fee per tenant and that the minimum that a guarantor must earn is £9600 per annum. The tenant letting check performs a check based on calculations that say this is the minimum. However, William H Brown did not relay this information and therefore wasted time performing the check and then saying that the guarantor that was put forward was not eligible for the property. Once William H Brown received my money, there was no correspondence through email or otherwise, but before the money was received, they were always calling and emailing, responding to queries efficiently and arranging convenient viewings. Steer clear of William H Brown.

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE £120 IS EXTORTIONATE, AND ALSO THE TERMS OF A GUARANTOR MUST BE EXPLAINED TO THE TENANTS BEFORE THEY PUT SOMEBODY FORWARD.”

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Continuing to respond to emails and stay attentive even after money has been received.”

5. A 5-star review by 'Diane Rhodes' 30/7/2014

Dan Gurney
    £161500

Dan Gurney

William H Brown were professional and courteous during the whole process from making the initial viewing appointments until exchange. Any query was dealt with promptly and they always reported back. Nothing was too much trouble and I would recommend them to anyone either wishing to sell or purchase in the Sudbury area.

6. A 5-star review by 'Mrs H' 30/7/2014

Morgen Sneezum, Dan Gurney
    £160000

Morgen SneezumDan Gurney

We have used William H Brown in Sudbury now for a number of sales and purchases over the last few years and have never been disappointed. They have always gone the extra mile and there service amazing. We don't go anywhere else now as we both trust the advice and outstanding service that they have given us and couldn't recommend them highly enough.

7. A 5-star review by 'Mr & Mrs T' 29/7/2014

Dan Gurney, Morgen Sneezum
    £185000

Dan GurneyMorgen Sneezum

I would like to leave a review to thank you all for the service you provided to us throughout our purchase and sale. Your teams support was invaluable. In comparison with our experience of other local estate agents I felt your team stood apart, i'm so glad we chose William H Brown in Sudbury and our choice was reinforced throughout. Thanks again and I will tell anyone thinking of buying or selling to use you guys.

8. A 1-star review by 'Lady Smith' 24/7/2014

Branch:
    21 High Street (Ware) (Hertfordshire)
    Emma Richman, Rob Ware
    SG12

Emma RichmanRob Ware

My property is on the market for sale with two local agents neither of whom are William H. Brown.
    Yesterday 22 July 2014 I received in my post a business card from Emma Richman, Instructions Manager of William H. Brown, Ware, together with a William H. Brown compliment slip stating with her handwriting "Please contact me quoting .............". Attached to business card and compliment she had printed off my property details from Rightmove from my two independent agents and sent them to me by post. I don't need reminding of the property I am selling!
    William H. Brown are the... (read more)

9. A 1-star review by 'the buyer' 14/7/2014

Branch:
    52 High Street (Stalham) (Norfolk)
    Daniel Trett
    NR29

Daniel Trett

I am a buyer having recently sold my own property to a cash buyer and requiring just a small mortgage - so I am all ready to proceed with a purchase. Property particulars were emailed from WH Brown via Zoopla about 15 Hamilton Walk. It said that it was POA and there was to be an open day in 10 days time for viewings. I rang the Stalham office and spoke to Daniel Trett who told me the price was offers over £120,000 and I booked my slot for the open day. After coming off the phone I thought it ridiculous to have to wait nearly 2 weeks just to view the property so rang back and asked if the... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  10. View All Comments (1)by William H Brown Stalham  31/08/2014

Firstly thank you for your comments noted on this transaction. As you mentioned the said property was advertised as price on application and with an open day which was gaining huge popularity and many applicants registering their interest to attend. It was advised to you what they were aiming to achieve, as it had been to everyone who had made enquiries. As you mentioned it was agreed by the vendor to allow a preview open day for you and others who had enquired due to the amount of interest we had achieved by the active marketing plan we had agreed to do for our clients, but still agreed... (read more)
  11. 2

A 1-star review by 'pokerplayer' 9/7/2014

No branch selected
    LS18
    Upload a reviwer profile image

We knew that buying a repossession would be tricky but William H Brown did nothing to help our cause. They are rude, abrupt and couldn't wait to get us off the phone. It took them days to return calls and emails.

The agent kept telling us "all the work needed doing on the house is just cosmetic". Well our surveyors and damp/building specialists reckoned £25k - £30k minimum before it was liveable. The agent even had the cheek to say that to the damp specialist as if she was urging him to do a quick job that wouldn't put us off the purchase.

Initially their mortgage specialist outright reject us for a mortgage without even trying to get us one, just because I was a contractor and my partner hasn't started her teaching job yet. Guess what, Halifax gave us one on the spot 2 day later. She was so rude and basically ejected us out of her office as if she just couldn't be bothered.

We are avoiding all properties marketed by William H Brown.

1. 1

A 5-star review by 'Henry' 8/7/2014

Jack Offord, Alex Blay
    Cm1
    £275000

Jack OffordAlex Blay

From the start the team looked after our house, they also updated us on a tough sale and even sold the house over the asking price. I would use them again, no problem.

2. A 1-star review by 'Disgusted by the service' 7/7/2014

Branch:
    6 Fair Road (bradford) (Yorkshire)
    BD6
    £325
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I am absolutely disgusted by the service I have received so far. The flat I have moved into is in an appalling state, if I hadn't had both my parents and my boyfriend helping me on the day I moved in I would have had to stay in a hotel. No manuals or model numbers were provided for any of the equipment so I have been unable to use certain things like the heaters because there is absolutely no way of understanding the controls and none of them appear to do anything, even though the contract states that I have to keep things adequately heated. There are lots of things broken, one of which is a... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“I THINK THEY STOLE MY MONEY AND PLAN TO DO NOTHING FOR IT.”

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“How about providing the service I paid you for instead of treating me like something you found on the bottom of your shoe?”

3. A 1-star review by 'Richard Miles' 24/6/2014

No branch selected
    Ip31
    £700000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

My property was viewed by this company and agreed that they would not market it until agreed by me but may have clients interested. I received two e mails assuring me that my property would be only be put on the internet after my specific consent was obtained.
    They put it on the internet without my consent!

4. 1

A 2-star review by 'Steve Johnson' 13/6/2014

Branch:
    80 Queen Street Morley (Morley) (West Yorkshire)
    LS10
    £143000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I chose to sell my property with William H Brown after a fantastic sales pitch by the branch manager. However, after that initial visit things started to go down hill. I had virtually no contact from the branch manager or his team after putting my property on the market. I raised a complaint with William H Brown which was not resolved and again I was not contacted. My property was on the market for eight months and only had four viewings (3 of which I conducted myself), and absolutely no feedback from the agent. Thankfully my house did sell but, received absolutely no information from the... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“I was very dis-satisfied with the customer service, feedback and honesty, and this is an aspect this agent needs to address.”

5. A 1-star review by 'scrag' 11/6/2014

Branch:
    7-9 Cowgate (Peterborough) (Cambridgeshire)
    , fiona Peterborough
    pe2
    £105

fiona Peterborough

William H Brown certainly have their own agenda. My mum put an offer on a bungalow and it was accepted and withdrawn from the market. She took her personal info to William H Brown to photocopy and everything seemed ok. A few hours later she receives a call saying another buyer who viewed the property a month ago has put another offer in for the same price as my mum. All of a sudden the seller is considering this buyer even though she is in the same position as my mum, i.e. cash buyer, in a chain and has something selling at the time. Next thing we know, and not surprisingly, the seller is... (read more)

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“they should know exactly what they need to change!”

6. 1

A 1-star review by 'ds99' 4/6/2014

Branch:
    161 Unthank Road (Norwich) (Norfolk)
    mark bird
    nr2
    £280000

mark bird

I used them for selling my house. Awful service. Poor communication, emails and phone calls ignored. Completely incompetent. Once I had has signed the selling contract they didn't care.

7. A 1-star review by 'G L Pickup' 24/5/2014

Branch:
    8 Westgate (Huddersfield) (Yorkshire)
    Staff Member
    Charllote last name, Helen last name
    HD3
    Would you use the agent again? No

Charllote last nameHelen last name

Service was very poor , staff don't listen tp customers needs, only interest is them selves, value property at a figure the always want to reduce it , property with agent 5 months and only 5 viewings , it cost me £50 to show somebody our property that was'n't in a position to buy

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'avoid like the plague' 14/5/2014

Branch:
    40-42 King Street (Kings Lynn) (Norfolk)
    pe30
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I placed my property for sale with William H Brown instructing them that I required a quick sale, I was assured that the buyer already had a mortgage in principal (which i found out later they did not), I dropped £1000 off to use their recommended solicitors (who are absolutely useless) the property is empty costing me money and searches are coming through one at a time on a weekly basis, it is now week 12 and no end date in site. due to the solicitors and buyers acting so slow, I requested the property be placed back on the market to which William H Brown argued and encouraged me to hold out a little which I did, just to find more searches have come through which are pointless. Do not touch with a barge pole!!!!

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Useless and expensive, do not use”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  9. View All Comments (1)by Countrywide  15/05/2014

Are you sure you mean searches and not enquiries? If it is enquiries raised, then this is down to the purchasers' solicitor, not the estate agent or your solicitor. If you do mean searches then: Point 1; the speed of which searches arrive are not dictated by the estate agent nor the purchasers' conveyancer. The sooner the buyer pays for it, the sooner they can be submitted. Point 2; the type of searches that come back are not dictated or made up by the estate agent or legal conveyancer. They are what they are and they need dealing with head on to speed up a transaction. Please check your facts and the understanding of how the process works before submitting any further assumptive comments.
  10. 2

A 1-star review by 'S Dinsdale' 11/5/2014

Branch:
    10 Kingston Road (Willerby) (East Riding of Yorkshire)
    HU14
    Upload a reviwer profile image

In March 2009 I bought a property through WH Brown based in Willerby Square East Yorkshire, I later made the bad mistake of selling my own property through them. When I initially contacted them to view the property in Bishop Burton near Beverley I was told in would be at least 10 days before they had an agent available to show me round. When I finally got to view the property I was shown around with another couple which was not appropriate as I felt rushed and not able to look at my leisure. I am sure the double viewing which was highly unprofessional was done for their own convenience.
    I... (read more)

11. 2

A 1-star review by 'Thomas' 17/4/2014

Branch:
    9 High Street (Thetford) (Ipswich) (Norfolk)
    , Rebecca Leggett
    IP3

Rebecca Leggett

Unprofessional, dishonest, obscure. Have been on tenancy since 2009. When we moved in, boiler was not connected properly, The property in general was not ready for tenants. I just made a complaint and there were awful to deal with. They even did not refer to TPO. Also they told me they do not issue deadlock letter. It is disgrace. Unprofessional customer service is like infection as almost all agents do not have dignity to accept mistakes and do things right. I have health issues and stress is immense when i deal with them. All i want is put things right. I am disappointed and unhappy. My advise to tenants is to keep records, photos, letters and start to read TPO Code of Practice for Residential Letting Agents; The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008; Protection from Eviction Act 1977. Start to learn your rights instead of believing in everything they say. Keep it positive.

What could William H Brown do to change your mind??

“Teach them customer service, customer rights, relevant legislation and finally TPO Code of Practice. Ohhhh ... and sack stuff who do not comply with it”

Page: