Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

The Deposit Protection Service

Agent rating: 1 out of 5.0 based on 19 ratings. This website contains 19 user reviews of The Deposit Protection Service.

Offices / Branches

• 3 recommend
  • 16 disapprove

Subscribe To Agent's RSS Feed Print Branch Report

Get a Quote

This branch is also ranked:

1 out of 1
in the BS99 League Tables
321 out of 322
in the Bristol League Tables
21778 out of 21805
in the UK

Agent Information

A description of The Deposit Protection Service is currently unavailable.

No photo or video of branch available

Opening Hours

Registered With

UNKNOWN

Areas Covered

UNKNOWN

The Deposit Protection Service has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use The Deposit Protection Service, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews

Page last updated on: 18-Dec-2014 05:24:30

1. A 1-star review by 'Teary' 16/10/2014

LE11
    Rent PCM
    £500
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This is concerning the transfer of Landlord for the purpose of the deposit that the agent is holding. I bought over the tenanted property a year ago and only realised that the deposit was held by this agency. When I first called more than two months ago, they gave me a Landlord ID and asked me to ask the previous landlord to log in and simply change or enter my landlord ID. It has been 2 and a half months now and it just keeps getting worse.

The previous landlord said that he could not log in for some reason and was advised to submit a transfer form. The first submission failed because... (read more)

What could The Deposit Protection Service do to change your mind??

“It is too late, I won\'t change my mind but just make the damn transfer happen for me!!!”

2. 1

A 1-star review by 'Richard' 13/6/2014

Staff Member
    Lorraine Palfrey, Rachel (manager call centre)
    OL11
    Rent PCM
    £490
    Would you use the agent again? No

Lorraine PalfreyRachel (manager call centre)

When I took out the tenancy I was informed that my deposit would be held in trust with the DPS this was so as to protect my deposit. When I vacated the property on May 6th 2014 I was informed that the DPS would be in touch to inform me as to when my deposit would be repaid to me.

They duly contacted me 9 days after the end of tenancy to inform me that my monies would be repaid into my bank account within 2 working days.

They released the deposit into the wrong account, an account that I had previously closed and informed my letting agent about before giving the letting agent my new bank... (read more)

3. A 1-star review by 'Lee' 21/3/2014

No branch selected
    b63
    Upload a reviwer profile image

what a load of rubbish! I imagine that a letting agency personnel had come up with this idea to make there lifes easyier... with no satification to the tenant!! I have been stuck in a roundabout of declined offers to the point were i just give up. i accepted what they wanted to take from me because regadless what you do if you have not took pictures of every little thing in the house you are not to know what the agency are going to be claiming against. Just a tip to anyone reading this DO NOT RENT if it is an option to you. The contracts stink and we are mearly pawn's maintaining the relationships between the agency and the landlords. I choose not to be part of that!

What could The Deposit Protection Service do to change your mind??

“Nothing..... Organisation/companys are set up with one ethos... to make money. I just dont agree with this companys idea of making money. Hope they rot in hell”

4. A 1-star review by 'steven' 19/2/2014

sk13
    Upload a reviwer profile image

they told me it was 2 weeks before the deposit will be repaid into my account if the Tennant doesn't respond. after the 2 weeks they then told me it was a further 5 days just in case he posted a response to my claim. They then told me it will take an extra 5 to 7 working days until the money is repaid. Its blatantly obvious this is just a way to earn more interest from other people's money. Misleading dishonest disgrace.

What could The Deposit Protection Service do to change your mind??

“Told me the truth to start with”

5. 2

A 1-star review by 'Terribly disappointed' 24/1/2014

B29
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This service is biased incredibly towards tenants.my ex-tenant left a lot of rubbish in a communal pathway. The ex-tenant had attempted to re-enter the property after his tenancy elapsed to clear the rubbish himself. Because he failed to provide his forwarding address, re-entry was declined. When we went to the ADR, the ex-tenant claimed that the rubbish was not his as it was in a communal pathway and blamed the other neighbours. I submitted an email showing evidence that ex-tenant requested the agent to re-enter. The ADR felt that this was not enough evidence to show that the rubbish was his. Therefore no money was allocated to cover the rubbish costs removal. I wonder who would want to re-enter the property to clear someone else's rubbish. THD ADR is very biased towards tenants. Don't use this service. There are other provider to secure a deposit and I prefer to pay others rather than experiencing the DPS again.

6. A 1-star review by 'Chlobags' 3/9/2013

Staff Member
    Julie (call centre), Rachel (manager call centre)
    NN42
    Would you use the agent again? No

Julie (call centre)Rachel (manager call centre)

My experience with this company is truly awful. It has taken several months for me to get my deposit back and every single one of my phone conversations has resulted in being hung up on.

The call centre staff were incredibly rude and condescending to the point of hair pulling frustration. They were completely unsympathetic and refused to acknowledge what was being said to them. They told blatant lies (telling me that they had offered something they had not) and despite being told that the manager had been listening to the entire conversation i was kept on hold for the majority of our... (read more)

What could The Deposit Protection Service do to change your mind??

“Not speaking to customers who are having difficulties as if we are stupid Warning of the considerable charge of the call price Generally being helpful rather than making me sit through a 40minute call whilst they argued whether they had been condescending or not. *WARNING THE REVIEWS ARE RIGHT DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY*”

7. A 1-star review by 'Anon' 24/6/2013

B46
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Absolutely appalling service- I received an email stating that my deposit had been paid back into my bank account, and would be available once it had gone through standard bank clearing. That was 3 days ago. I spoke to my bank this morning and their clearing time is 2 hours- when they checked for me, there was no record of a payment from the DPS- in other words they have lied to me and told me that they have repaid my deposit when they haven't. This is unprofessional behaviour and generally unacceptable, especially from a scheme which is supposed to protect you.

What could The Deposit Protection Service do to change your mind??

“There is nothing that would change my mind- I will not rent from any landlord that uses this service in future.”

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'Frustrated beyond belief !' 23/5/2013

SL8
    Upload a reviwer profile image

What kind of rip off is the DPS, I was a tenant and am in the process of trying to get my deposit back which is virtually impossible, the amounts of excuses they use not to pay is a joke, I must have spent a fortune in phone calls and they deliberately delay giving tenants their own money back even if there is no dispute.

Also you have to use their online enquiry form to request that you are paid the interest on your deposit if it was placed with them prior to December 2008 which is legally yours !(SO DON'T FORGET TO REQUEST IT FROM THEM IF YOUR DEPOSIT WAS PLACED BEFORE THEN).

They make the Child Support Agency or Student Finance look like a well oiled machine !

9. 3

A 1-star review by 'Rachel' 17/5/2013

Frederick Steele
    bn10

Frederick Steele

The DPS are an absolute joke and extremely all for the tenant!, I have a situation were, I had an Assured Shorthold Tenancy signed by myself and the tenant, when the tenant moved out due to breaches caused under the tenancy, there was just over 5k worth of damage and other related costs to the property. I therefore applied for the deposit back from them. The Tenant disputed my request so it went to the adjudication department of the DPS, and today they have in their infinite wisdom decided to return the deposit to the tenant!! I am absolutely disgusted and astonished that they would do... (read more)

10. 3

A 1-star review by 'GARY ROBINSON' 1/5/2013

bs99
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This service is a complete joke. we moved out of a rented property on 9th jan 2013, the property was immacculate when we left but its now 1st may and still no deposit back. The old landlords are messing us around but the DPS are no help whatsoever, I will ensure i never get involved in this service again as they are a waste of time and there website is pathetic. USELESS!!!!

What could The Deposit Protection Service do to change your mind??

“Sort out any issues with the landlords, tennants asap and not pass the buck at every turn.”

1. 2

A 1-star review by 'Tee' 27/4/2013

cf3
    Upload a reviwer profile image

DPS is very tenant baised to start with. Their systems and processes also isn't clearly outlined or easy to use. Rented out my house fully furnished, Tenants had agreed to an addedum to the tenancy to pay full price for any unwanted furniture sold should they stay less than 4 years. 11months in, tenants recieved some inheritance payments and bought own property. I was happy for them, however tenants refused to fulfil agrrement and DPS allowed them get away with it. I find it disgraceful and would definitely not be using them again!

2. 2

A 1-star review by 'djazaira' 15/4/2013

ng7
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Terrible service. It took me 3 months to get back my own deposit! Million calls have been made by myself and lardlord; each time DPS found a different excuse to delay the payment! Making interest on my deposit and made me waste my money on phone calls to them!
    AVOID BY ALL MEANS!

3. 2

A 1-star review by 'Tea Malms' 14/4/2013

Lorraine Palfrey
    CT8

Lorraine Palfrey

I'm too having trouble getting my deposit back from the DPS. First they sent me a cheque which I couldn't cash because I have no UK bank account, only one in my home country (which was the reason I chose the have the cheque in the first place...). Then I had to write them a letter with my bank details and agree to be charged £25.99 for them to transfer the money to my Finnish bank account. I also returned the cheque. Three weeks on, on March 25th, I got an email from one of their employees, Lorraine Palfrey saying "I will now arrange for the original cheque to be stopped. Once this stop has been confirmed, the payment will be reissued to you". Two weeks later she insisted that they're still waiting a confirmation from the bank. I have sent them several emails demanding the money to be paid immediately but they haven't replied, except this once. On Monday it'll be three weeks from her original email and I still haven't got my money. I think this is totally outrageous and I will definitely take this matter further.

4. 2

A 1-star review by 'Frustrated' 20/3/2013

SW6
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Never used them before and now never will use an agent in the future that uses DPS. Despite overwhelming evidence, independently assessed, of damage to property by tenant's dog and cat (keeping pets in breach of tenancy) DPS deemed this fair wear & tear and gave NIL allowance to landlord for this. Similarly other damage/losses which resulted in landlord being awarded less in respect of damage/losses than the tenant had already conceded !!!

I also thought their process and website almost designed to confuse.

5. 3

A 1-star review by 'jim murray' 18/1/2013

lu3
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Absolutely terrible...they steal money (my interest), no other way to put it. I strongly advise you use Thomas Higgins and commence legal action, if you are getting your deposit back with these crooks. I was supposed to wait something stupid like 10 working days for my money, even though the landlord approved 2 weeks ago...So I sent them a legal action letter via Thomas Higgins and the money was in my account within 2 days. They only hold your money to make profits on the interest, don't let them get away with it. They are supposed to hold your money, not illegally hold it to make a profit on it.

Do not give them an inch or they will walk all over you.

6. 3

A 1-star review by 'caz' 14/11/2012

Upload a reviwer profile image

Terrible service for myself and my tenant. I had a good tenant who wanted to move to be nearer his family. As he leftthe property in good order I notiied the deposit protection service that they should release the deposit.
    Three weeks later the tenant has still ot recieved his money.

7. 2

A 1-star review by 'Kelly' 4/10/2012

Upload a reviwer profile image

Disgusting service!! woman with an attitude - do not protect the landlord DO NOT USE! HAD AN UNHELPFUL HORRIBLE ATTITUDE - DID NOT MEET THEIR END OF THE DEAL.

“AVOID AVOID AVOID”

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'Lettings Agent' 29/7/2012

Upload a reviwer profile image

As a medium size Letting Agent we too have had major problems with the DPS over the past 4/5 yrs. We run an honest small business managing quality hardworking Landlords homes. As of yet not one ruling has gone the way of our landlord, i do realize that this has been a big learning curve for all Agents and landlords but with no training from the DPS in how to cover yourself from the outset how do we improve???

I have tightened the move in/out process conciderably over the years and improved my knowledge, inventories etc but when we have any problems there is too little staff to man the phones and NO ADVICE GIVEN. In my opinion this is a very one way st to protect tenants deposits only and not for the ripped of landlord !!!!

I have been told if you do not agree with the ruling then there is NO ONE to complain to. If you have a dispute i would tick the box for NO to use the DPS arbitration!

What could The Deposit Protection Service do to change your mind??

“No help or advice for wronged Landlords”

9. 8

A 1-star review by 'Stuart Buxton' 4/3/2012

Upload a reviwer profile image

Despite me submitting overwhelming evidence that the outgoing tenants had damaged the property and not paid any rent for the last 2 months of their occupancy, the DPS still returned the deposit to the tenants.
    In fairness, I should add that I only sent a copy of the Tenancy Agreement and submitted photographic evidence of the state of the property taken 2 days after the tenants had left. Although it was probably my naivety that contributed to me forfeiting the deposit, I still feel strongly that the DPS could and should have used their position as arbiters to request I forward the original signed Agreement along with photographs taken at the beginning of the tenancy.
    This would at least have given them the evidence required to make the correct decision.
    i am left with the impression that the DPS are VERY tenant biased. Consequently, I no longer use or trust them to make a balanced decision and in no way can I recommend them to any Landlord.

What could The Deposit Protection Service do to change your mind??

“An apology and full compensation.”