Browse agents by letter
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Tenant Direct

Agent rating: 2.2 out of 5.0 based on 30 ratings. This website contains 29 user reviews of Tenant Direct.

Offices / Branches

• 21 disapprove

Subscribe To Agent's RSS Feed Print Branch Report

...left to get your reviews in for the 2014 allAgents People Awards

Get a Quote

This branch is also ranked:

19 out of 23
in the SO14 League Tables
117 out of 139
in the Southampton League Tables
18783 out of 21381
in the UK

Agent Information

Tenant Direct is an independent firm specialising in Property Management and Residential Lettings. As specialists in our field and are fully committed to providing a first class service tailored to the individual needs of Landlords and Tenants alike.

No photo or video of branch available

Opening Hours

Registered With

• ARLA

Areas Covered

No areas covered

Tenant Direct has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Tenant Direct, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews

Page last updated on: 20-Apr-2014 19:23:24

1. FEATURED REVIEW

A 5-star review by 'T Harris' 20/5/2012

Lettings (as a Landlord)
    No postcode selected.

I have had dealings with TD during the last 10/12 years in the capacity of a Landlord. All staff have always been polite, efficient, professional and I believe, fair to both myself and my tenants. It can sometimes be a difficult process but TD have remained unbiased and professional throughout every transaction. I would and have recommended their services and will continue to do so.

2. FEATURED REVIEW

A 5-star review by 'Jclemment' 9/5/2012

No postcode selected.

I rented with Tenant Direct when a was a student when we first moved in we had a few issues with maintenance and the property needed a clean but when we phoned in the property manager was really nice and came out and looked at our issues and then arranged for them to be taken care of , the cleaning was done on the same day and the other bits and pieces were sorted the next day. We built up a really good relationship with John who looked after us really well throughout the tenancy. I've read a few bad reviews on here but my experience was the opposite and I would really recommend them and I would use them again for my next house.

3. FEATURED REVIEW

A 5-star review by 'Elliebaxter' 19/4/2012

No postcode selected.

I lived in a property managed by tenant direct for two years and I have had a good experience with them.
    We had a few issues throughout the tenancy with maintenance issues and they always responded quickly and the property managers were very friendly.

All in all good job tenant direct :-)

4. FEATURED REVIEW

A 5-star review by 'Lbpound' 11/4/2011

No postcode selected.

Very helpful when asked questions about what I needed to do when I moved in. If they couldn't answer there and then they called me back within the hour with the answer to my question. Always found telephone manor to be polite. Members of staff always looked professional.

View All Comments (1)by Areviewer  19/01/2013

yes, this is a façade until you move in or want to move out!
  5. FEATURED REVIEW

A 5-star review by 'Highfield student' 9/2/2012

No postcode selected.

I see these guys have a few bad reviews on here... my experience was the opposite, I always found them friendly and good to deal with, we had a few maintenance issues, but most student houses do really... they dealt with them quickly, so we had no complaints.
    Great selection of properties too, they were better than all the others we saw.

6. 1

A 1-star review by 'Roberto' 8/11/2013

SO14
    Would you use the agent again? No

For three years, I have occupied a flat at 34 Lodge Road Southampton. During this time, I have experienced several issues that were at no point, remedied sufficiently, or at all. This was in spite of following all of the procedures for doing so, stated in the tenancy agreement. All requests and enquiries were met with either, no response, or complete denial of previous contact attempts. Towards the end of the tenancy, when it was evident that, one or other of the responsible parties refused to remedy issues, I was forced to contact Environmental Health. This was due to the unacceptable... (read more)

What could Tenant Direct do to change your mind??

“If they employed a Giraffe with a hair lip, wearing purple trousers, but was capable of performing the tasks that it was payed to perform.”

7. 2

A 1-star review by 'Niy' 1/10/2013

No Branch Selected
    SO15
    Would you use the agent again? No

It is a horrible, incompetent, lazy agency with lack of transparency. I remember there were maintenance problems right from the beginning, and it took them time to fix those issues. Not only that, my bathroom has had problems for a long time and no one came to make an effort in fixing those problems until the very last day, of which when I was packing my things. Do not sign up for this agency.

8. 2

A 1-star review by 'dh' 6/8/2013

SO14
    Would you use the agent again? No

They were an awful letting agents. They asked for moneys that had already been payed to be payed multiple times until I physically yelled at the woman down the phone. The same goes for breakages: several phone calls and e-mails indicating not only the problem but that they were extremely useless, patronising and in most instances rude. I highly suggest that no one uses these guys! They are greedy, for renewing your contract (£80 for printing out a piece of paper) and lazy in getting things fixed but not in chasing up their own money. A very bad experience overall with nothing but trouble.

What could Tenant Direct do to change your mind??

“They could have been more friendly, helpful, organised and offered sensible prices. They could have solved problems by not being patronising.”

9. 2

A 2-star review by 'Exercise_caution' 19/1/2013

SO15
    Would you use the agent again? No

Although this agent appears helpful upfront and dealing with issues such as maintenance they have many hidden charges that are not made clear and are not in the tenancy agreement, contrary to the requirements of ARLA membership that they accredit themselves to. Additional fees approximately include: £100 +VAT for tenancy amendment/additional keys and £40+VAT per person for referencing, even on the same tenancy agreement. In addition to the other extortionate fees for check-out etc.

They also tried to make small deductions to the deposit that most people wound't bother pursuing. They showed no interest in entering reasonable discussion and only changed their minds after having to go to the deposit dispute service. If you believe yourself to be in the right take your own comprehensive check-out inspection with detailed photographs and query any suspicious deductions. Perhaps they rely on vulnerable or international students/tenants who may not have sufficient understanding of the UK system to answer these false claims without dispute.

What could Tenant Direct do to change your mind??

“Make ALL fees up front as per the ARLA requirements. Show willingness to enter into discussion over \'reasonable\' disputes.”

10. 2

A 2-star review by 'studentrenter' 18/10/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

Being a student the letting agency was not the most approachable. Although, I am living in a non-student property, things do still get broken, where it would be the letting agents/landlords obligation to fix them. After phoning them repeatedly asking them to repair things they were utmost unfriendly on the phone usually giving short and snappy answers, telling me they would ring me back with more information the following day. They never did and I doubt they have ever chased it up. After enquiring regarding extending my contract, something actually in favour of the agency, I was charged £80, £78 of which were for the printing of a new sheet of paper and £2 were for the use of my card to pay this extortionate amount (is that even legal?!). Not only are they unfriendly and unhelpful but their "office" is the most desolate place you could think off, there are no chairs as such and it is highly uncomfortable. I strongly do not reccomend them.

11. 1

A 1-star review by 'displeasedtennant' 30/7/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

Having had a broken bath and broken shower for long periods of time, they came round to 'repair them' by putting gaffer tape over cracks, didn't even last a day, leaving us without cleaning facilities.

When we got the property it was a total mess, and when we moved out we cleaned it to well beyond how we got it, yet they charged us extra for cleaning it when we moved out.

Generally incredibly unhelpful, lazy and unpersonable money grabbing agents on the phone.

12. 1

A 5-star review by 'Ben' 20/6/2012

Would you use the agent again? Yes

I have recently been through the process of finding a proporty to rent with my fellow students with Tenant Direct and found the customer service to be professional, honest and speedy. I will continue to use tenant Direct through the next 2 years of my studies as it is rare to find an angency who deliver against thier promises.

13. 1

A 5-star review by 'Sebastian' 8/6/2012

Would you use the agent again? Yes

After having viewed several properties with several different agents we decided to rent a property through Tenant Direct and moved in, in July 2011. The property was an older property and during our tenancy we have had several maintenance issues arise, from a leaking washing machine to the boiler breaking down. We raised these issues with the Property Management Team and were very impressed with the level of service we received. Repairs were organised quickly and carried out within 24 hours. We recieved several calls from the agency after logging the issues keeping us informed as to when... (read more)

14. 2

A 1-star review by 'happytohavemoved' 7/6/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

Worst landlords I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Had 3 viewings, no basic questions were answered. AVOID THIS AGENCY!!!! They start off pleasant then once you have paid if you have any questions they are basically rude and have no, even basic, information.
    We rented a 5 bed property with 2 bathrooms, one large, to turn up to find that it had been changed to a 6 bed with 2 smaller bathrooms, the sixth room we would have no access to and rent would remain the same. When asking about the loss of space Jo said that if we were unhappy they could simply put it back on the market with the loss of our deposit as they hadn't signed the contract but we had they had the power to do this, which is nonsense as they had signed the contract.
    Even questions asked via email are ignored or they reply with irrelevant information.
    There are lots of better agencies in Southampton. Customer service here is zero.

What could Tenant Direct do to change your mind??

“Never want any dealings with this company again.”

View All Comments (1)by Hayden Ebert  07/06/2012

In response your comments are completely unfair, you are refering to a property owned by our company. As you are well aware the property has been refurbished to an extremely high standard for your occupation. Some £60,000 was spent on renovations ready for you to move in. The problems encountered in planning are related to new legislation introduced after your reservation. Article 4 was introduced into planning legislation on March 23rd some months after you signed up for the property. This has meant we as a company were unfairly treated by the planning authorities and as soon as we we were aware of the refusal notice, which we will be appealing, we informed you immediately and offered you a number of options incuding finding you a new house or a refund. You chose for a refund of your deposit and agency fees....... This was done immediately the minute we received your bank details and will now be in your account.
  15. 4

A 1-star review by 'Student21' 9/5/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

Do not use this company. I'm a student and moved in to our first house with some friends. When we met with the agent and he should us around we asked about parking which we were promised (which was a lie) we also asked about some outside space as there was a court yard between our property and the one next door, the agent told us it was ours however on moving in the landlord had refused us access to it and even put a wood across the outside of our back door (which opens outwards) to stop us going out there. When looking round we noticed the kitchen floor was cracked and sinking, we were told... (read more)

What could Tenant Direct do to change your mind??

“To improve they need to vet there landlords better, They need to improve there communication and also they need to improve there customer service. When its your job to deal with the public (or anyone) you have to have brilliant customer service skills. They dont.”

1. 1

A 4-star review by 'Toby_s' 26/4/2012

Would you use the agent again? Yes

I was looking for a flat last summer with my girlfriend and got recommended by a friend to speak to Tenant Direct, I found them to be very friendly and approachable and they helped us negotiate a good deal on a property we were interested in. We are still living there now so they did a good job for us. We would use them again when looking for our next place.

2. 1

A 4-star review by 'Bob' 19/4/2012

Would you use the agent again? Yes

Helpful ,Friendly and Informative. New to southampton really did not know where to go the agent not only showed me some flats but took the time to show me around southampton. Did have an issue with key fob to underground garage this was dealt quickly by the property maintanance.

3. 1

A 1-star review by 'qwerty' 20/2/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

Have had nothing with problems from the start.

Our shower broke, so much so water got into the electric and coming out the downstairs light switches. We called TD to let them know, they said they would call us back...nothing. We got someone in ourselves in the end. And actually they have still not asked about it!

Even though we have a contract that does not end until June, and then becomes a rolling contract, we have had people looking round since October. They tend to let themselves in as and when they please. They once even signed for some parcels whilst they were viewing, but then... (read more)

View All Comments (1)by lorri2567  15/03/2012

I totally agree with your comments from my daughters personal experience. Letting themselves in with out any notice and when no one was home. On one occasion let themselves in without any notice accompanied by viewers whilst one of the flat mates was in her bedroom after just getting out of the shower still in a towel! The proceeded to bang on her bedroom door was was told (not ased) that the viewers wanted to take a look around her room. When she objected she was told to stop making a fuss and hurry up getting dressed! The viewers were very embarrassed and could not leave quick enough!... (read more)
  4. 1

A 1-star review by 'Luca' 26/12/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

I let a property with them for 9 months (sept 2010 - jun 2011). Very quick to remind us to pay the rent even one day before the due date but incredibly lazy when it came to pay my deposit back (more than one month late)!They've come with visiting people even 1 week after we moved in).

What could Tenant Direct do to change your mind??

“- avoid to bring future tenants to visit the flat without previous advise entering my room almost without asking - avoid to call me asking if I remember to pay the rent one day before the due date - pay back the deposit within the 14/16 working days after landlord approval as specified in the contract - give PROMPT communication if the all of a sudden the contract has to be paid directly to the landlord and not through them -.give more respect to custemers even if they are student and they come and go very quickly - formal treatment is required when money are involved.”

5. 2

A 1-star review by 'Dissapointed Student' 26/12/2011

Dear Students and Potential Student of Southampton,

I insistend recomend you NOT to sign any contract with Tenant Direct. I was living one year in Southampton and had them as agency and it was the worsed I could suspeced.
    - We had big issues with mildew, unfortunately I recognized it to late.
    - And I was dicussing, in the end more arguing even with their boss, about that... I even got advice from the Students Help at the Uni, and I also went to the City Council to get advice... nothing changed! I even thought about but sueing them...
    - In the end I was restoring the the room on my... (read more)

What could Tenant Direct do to change your mind??

“- They just "steel" your money... and than you will not get anything from them anymore...”

6. 1

A 1-star review by 'Jessie J' 1/11/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

This Lettings Agency is run by and employs ******. If you do sign a tenancy agreement with this lot PLEASE make sure you read it from start to finish as they will throw it at you every time you have a complaint and lay all responsibility with the tenant. They enjoy adding "admin charges" to anything they see fit. Apart from take my monthly rent, they did absolutely nothing for me and did not visit the flat once to check it was being kept in an appropriate state - if I had been the landlord I would have been extremely worried about this. When I first moved into the flat I rented, despite it being 'professionally cleaned' by them, it was in a disgusting state. My telephone calls where messages were left for them to call me back went unanswered and when I did speak to them, they either did not have a clue what was going on or were plain rude. Customer care is NOT one of their strong points. I would definitely NOT recommend them to anyone. I would rather live in a tent than rent from this bunch of amateurs. I recommend they all go on Customer Care courses.

7. 1

A 1-star review by 'Hendry Ronnie' 9/8/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

Really bad service, will never go there again, staff absolutely rude and arrogant, the owner is very rude and doesnt give a monkey about the staff being very rude, dont use this agency! Go elsewhere!!!!!!

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'Gary' 22/7/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

when looking at flat it was an absolute mess. the person showing us around said it would be repaired and repainted if we moved in 2 weeks later then originally planned. we agreed on this as we really liked the house and saw ourselves living there for a good few years. upon arrival to the house it was still a complete mess. it hadnt even been cleaned. there was dust mould and even rat poo around the house. the property manager later told us he had been in the day before to inspect the property, to go on and pass this property as habitable was a discrace. we did not feel comfortable sitting in the flat let alone sleeping or eating in there. we kicked up a massive fuss complaining and were told decorating and cleaning shouldl be done by wed next week (we moved in on friday).. the cleaning got done on monday. but as i was impatient i decided to do the decorating myself. 3 weeks later the only decorating that has been done has been by myself. maintanence still needs to done and mould has been removed by myself. if posible avoid this company

9. 1

A 1-star review by 'disgruntled' 12/6/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

Awful agency.... horrendous fees, rude unhelpful staff. They used to just let themselves in to the flat with no warning. Had to go to environmental health before they would repair the massive leak in the ceiling, the heating that was broken and a hole in the front door where a cat flap was once installed!! Never ever go to this agency if you have any sense!!

Twitter Facebook

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (3)
    View All Comments (3)by tenantdirect  22/06/2011

We have consulted our property management department on this issue and we have no record of such an incident and have no properties with cat flap & ceiling leak issues, we therefore believe you maybe have the wrong agency and would request that your comment be removed, however if there is a genuine issue then please provide your address and we will ensure that we attend to any outstanding issues without delay. Our office phone number is 02380 332230 and maintenance requests can be sent in 24 hours a day via email to maintenance@tenantdirect.co.uk
  10. 2

A 1-star review by 'ltolivier' 5/4/2011

Really bad!
    Don't use these guys, you sign a 12 month contract, then they say you have to leave after 6 months, when you leave, they want to make you pay for the 12 months! They are very rude! If you point out their mistakes, they threaten you with court action.

View All Comments (1)by tenantdirect  22/06/2011

Having spoken to Mr Oliver on check out of his property all his issues were resolved, the tenancy has now ended on good terms and it was requested by Mr Oliver that we look at a recent property purchase to potentially act as his letting agent.

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'Dave' 8/2/2011

Sales (Prospective customer)
    Would you use the agent again? No

Terrible agency. Been looking for a house for ages. Organised 4 viewings in this time when they offered to show us round a number of houses.

The first two times no-one turned up to meet us, and we had to rearrange. The third time someone turned up and showed us round a few houses, but hadn't pre-warned the tenants, so some people didn't let us look around their house. On the fourth time, an estate agent did turn up, but 45 minutes, and countless phonecalls past the time we agreed.

View All Comments (1)by tenant direct  22/06/2011

We can only apologise if on this occassion our service standards had fallen below what was expected, I do not know the exact circumstances of this issue but whatever happened in this case is clearly not acceptable, your comment is appreciated and we will raise the issue internally in order to assist in our ongoing review of the customer service standards
  2. 1

A 1-star review by 'Charlieash' 6/1/2011

Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Would you use the agent again? No

Do not use this agency. Rude, and unhelpful.
    Go elsewhere, you will regret ever using this agency.

View All Comments (1)by tenant direct  22/06/2011

Apologies if you feel service levels were not what they should be when dealing with our company, your comments will be included in management meetings in regard to ongoing review of customer service standards
  3. 1

A 1-star review by 'jw' 4/12/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Show you a property then leave you in the hands of dreadful landlords and are then rude on the phone. Find another agency!

4. 2

A 1-star review by 'Alex Portnoy' 14/9/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Do not rent from this company. Will hound you for deposit money and then repeatedly fob you off when you want to actually move in. Have paid several weeks rent and not been 'allowed' into the house. There are plenty of agents in Southampton, use another one.

View All Comments (1)by tenant direct  22/06/2011

Again apologies if the customer service experience was not what it should have been for you when dealing with our company, however from the agent\\\'s side we have a job to do in order to chase up outstanding funds and in and cannot allow the tenancy to commence without full funds being paid and cleared prior to move in. If all funds were paid and all paperwork complete there is no reason why you would not have been allowed to move in, we would need further details in order to investigate further, regardless of this we take on board your complaint and will add it to our review of customer service policies.
  5. A 2-star review by 'robo' 12/7/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

User 'robo' rated Tenant Direct but did not write a review.