Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Palmer Snell

Agent rating: 1.6 out of 5.0 based on 40 ratings. This website contains 39 user reviews of Palmer Snell.

Offices / Branches

• 4 recommend
  • 36 disapprove

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

Over 50 offices offering a comprehensive service in Somerset, Dorset, Devon, Hampshire and Wiltshire.

Palmer Snell has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Palmer Snell, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 2)

Page last updated on: 25-Oct-2014 18:13:30

1. A 1-star review by 'BSP' 19/8/2014

Branch:
    14 High Street (Wincanton) (Somerset)
    BA9
    £25000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I found the manageress to be inefficient , which she tried to disguise by being rude and arrogant and her letter to me was nothing short of disgusting.

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“The agent should have treated me like a valued client”

2. A 1-star review by 'Miserable' 25/7/2014

Branch:
    52 Broad Street (Lyme Regis) (Dorset)
    dt7
    Rent PCM
    £1650
    Upload a reviwer profile image

On the thursday prior to the Monday in the letter we received the correspondence below...

I am very sorry to have to deliver this news, but unfortunately the landlord has withdrawn from the letting of this property, and therefore we will be unable to commence a tenancy on Monday 14th. I’m aware this is very late in the day, but as you can probably appreciate, it is one of those situations that we cannot anticipate, nor prevent in any way.

We will obviously refund the whole balance of your application fees, and this will be returned to you either via BACs payment, or via a... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEY OWE US DEPOSIT”

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“agent could have been reputable - unfortunately they were not”

3. A 1-star review by 'Nomorelierspleaseatpalmersnell' 22/7/2014

, Mike Kunzi
    BH12
    £249000

Mike Kunzi

These bullies would not pass on an offer until we had registered with their mate who tried to sell us a mortgage and as we had two DIPs already we were not interested but had to go through the hoops. Then agent 1 who was very nice seemingly said that the owners would do repairs. We made an offer on this basis. Then agent 2 more senior and aggressive said they would not accept it which was code for he would not pass it on to the vendors. He then invented over several days a cock and bull story about calls and negotiations under the asking price which we now find out never occurred. To cover himself after complaining the branch manager sent a copy of an offer letter several weeks too late.

After all this we start to get abusive emails as they have changed our registration from my name to a Mr Urankar ("you are a ******"). Very clever. Very funny. Very in breach of sections 1 and 3 of the Malicious Communications Act 1988.

Ombudsman letter on its way.

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“Get rid of the bonus system for the mortgage partner services”

4. A 1-star review by 'PHIL' 10/6/2014

Branch:
    54 High West Street (Dorchester) (Dorset)
    DT2
    £210000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Paid £358.80 extra to use their conveyancer of which we would get £200.00 cash back. Our property was not of standard construction so their conveyancer could not deal with it! Did not get the money back! Beware of paying this charge up front. Also we did not think of, and were not offered a percentage price for selling. After dropping price considerably - this would have made a difference.

5. A 1-star review by 'rory' 29/5/2014

Branch:
    14 High Street (Wincanton) (Somerset)
    ba9
    £182000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Hi I cannot express the amount of incompetant negligent malpractice we have been subjected to from palmer snell. They took my money for so called advertising but had a buyer already lined up they said they would follow our move through to its conclusion admitted telling lies information that has become law since we were last involved in the moving process just didnt bother to tell us .Tracking them down is an impossaibility .I was then told we had exchanged when we had not .They have wasted 6 weeks of our time and we are no where near moving .They seem to work with a property lawyer firm who also speacialise in screwing up.The thingi s why cant the normal housebuyer get justice from this travesty it needs to be brought to the medias attention DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“They need to be honest and upfront they need to understand this is peoples lives they are playing with and above all they should be held to account for their negligence”

6. A 1-star review by 'Incompetent!' 29/4/2014

Branch:
    27 High Street (Bridgwater) (Somerset)
    Buying agent
    TA6
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I've never experienced such incompetents in my life! These guys firstly hound you with phone calls offering you with mortgage deals, insurance etc before you have even put an offer on a house! Then once your offer is excepted that's the last you here from them! At completion we were told they would have the keys. Then they said the old own had the keys but had to drive 60 miles to deliver them! They had know idea what time he would arrive and so we wasted a whole day waiting to pick up keys for a house we purchased 24 hours previous!! The manager Oliver was a complete waste of time and was... (read more)

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“Contacted me more often to see how thing were coming along. Arrange a second viewing a week before completion to make sure all is in order with the property. Have the keys way before key handover date. To stop using countrywide. Have more staff available to deal with calls. Pick up your phones. Have your viewing agent arrive on time for house viewings. Also have them research the property before viewing helps!”

7. 1

A 1-star review by 'Lisa' 15/1/2014

Branch:
    4 Adastral Square (Poole) (Dorset)
    Mike Boon
    BH17

Mike Boon

1. re-rented my home 3 weeks before I was due to move out and told me I would be moving, with no discussion or warning or request made. Then very offensive and bullish when trying to amicably make arrangements, then I moved out 14 days early due to threats of loosing tenant and being responsible for rent - now withholding those 14 days rent

2. Accused me of breach of contract before checking tenancy agreement over my parents west highland terrier visiting for an hour, which had been previously agreed and put in tenancy, very aggressive in my home towards me regarding this issue and did... (read more)

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“NOT STOLEN MY MONEY NOT RE RENTED MY FLAT WITHOUT MY CONSENT NOT BEEN SO RUDE AND UNHELPFUL WHEN GLEN, RACHEL AND ANDREA IN THE SAME BRANCH ARE JUST NICE PEOPLE AND HELPFUL AND ACTUALLY HAVE THE ABILITY TO SORT OUT ISSUES MIKE IS NOTHING BUT A BULLY & THIEF WHO IS UNABLE TO DO HIS JOB AND IF HE THINKS 40 MINUTES IS TOO MUCH TIME TO REPAY THE MONEY THEY OWE THEN HE WILL BE SPENDING A DAY IN COURT, THAT IS MUCH MORE TIME”

8. A 5-star review by 'A and A' 3/12/2013

Branch:
    1 North Street (Martock) (Somerset)
    Aileen , kevin Babcary Somerset
    BA21

Aileen kevin Babcary Somerset

We have previously had a very bad experience of Palmer Snell leading to a serious complaint and a discounted sale fee, the person involved has since left the company.

We had grave reservations about putting the property on with PS again but due to a lack of agents in Martock we went with them.

We were in a short chain but with two 'difficult to sell' properties. The service we have got from Kevin and Aileen has been exceptional, they were reassuring all the way and although it did take longer than we hoped, Kevin kept us informed and was on the ball all the time chasing and regularly reporting back to us , we have never had service like this from any agent. 11/10

We will complain if we are not getting the service we pay for anywhere but also feel that respect and congratulations are due in exceptional dealings . Thank you so much.

9. 1

A 1-star review by 'f' 14/11/2013

Branch:
    719 Christchurch Road (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    bh1

Chris Rowley

Such a bunch of con artists, they keep 400 I paid for "marketing that has no benefited me in anyway and will keep it even if they don't sell it,so i cant take it off the market as i cant lose money like that.

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“Don\'t be con artists an miss sell, just to get our money I want to warn people not to use Palmer Snell, it’s a good call you don’t have twitter/facebook and I have emailed the property Ombudsman and Rogue Traders. I feel ripped off with the extra marketing that I paid for as you had no intention of trying to get 105,000 for our property. We had you come round and value our property advised to you we could not physically go under 102,000. If you feel we cannot get this please say and we will keep it off the market. Your estate agent was optimistic (a good salesman) didn\'t give us an evaluation but asked what we were looking for. The fact that we said no lower than 102,000 he even stated “I could try and get a couple grand more” so we stated at 105,000 and see what would happen.. Two weeks later we still didn\'t have a for sale sign and I received a phone call saying we have had no interest how do you feel lowering it to 100,000????? . To make matters worse I signed to say i am happy to pay 400+ vat for \"extra marketing purposes\" which YOU have even if you don’t sell so if I decide to leave or go with an extra estate agent you have made 400 pounds out of me for doing nothing. I have no evidence of these extra perks and it hasn\'t helped in anyway. I just wish i had listened to my head and not used Palmer Snell as I have been with other estate agents and they do enough to get interest without the extra money involved.   I am still waiting for someone to do an Energy Performance Certified despite me saying I already had one and I knew it as valid for 10 years I didn\'t need one, your estate agent said well I will take 200 pounds off his commission and I may as well get an up to date one.”

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'John Christopher' 22/10/2013

Branch:
    181 High Street (Worle) (Weston Super Mare) (North Somerset)
    BS23
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Simon Moran was the branch manager at the time of marketing our Guest House. We paid for their gold service to provide the best chance for finding a buyer £298.80 inc vat. We did not receive the service we paid for. And when I asked for my money back they refused. They only offered a discount on the sellers fees should they sell. I refused that offer as they had been marketing for over 6 months and not a single viewing.

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“We paid for a service we did not get and it would seem correct to refund our money.”

1. 1

A 2-star review by 'Annoyed.' 4/9/2013

Branch:
    27 High Street (Bridgwater) (Somerset)
    TA6
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Awful fees, I listed it in May 2012 and the sold it in September ONE day before I had to move house, never took any internal pictures of the property even though I requested them several times. Turns out someone put an offer in in JUNE and palmer snell didn't inform me of this until July 31st. Most incompetent unprofessional estate agents ever!

2. 2

A 1-star review by 'factual reporting' 10/6/2013

Branch:
    9 Boulevard (Weston Super Mare) (North Somerset)
    Lettings (as a Landlord)
    BS23
    Upload a reviwer profile image

The "Manager" visited me @ the 2 premises to be let, also @ my home.Pressure was put on me for the "full Managment option" which on advise of my accountant thankfully I declined , opting for the 'finders only' service. The Manager then offered substantial discounts for the "full Management scheme" I declined this too.
    There were coniderable delays before I received confirmation that one of the properties had been taken, only to discover a further some months elapsed before the tenant moved in extending a 'void' period, I was shocked that I was asked for a... (read more)

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“I suggest that all the staff enroll for a course with suitable Management training and then serve at least a full 2 years under a fully Qualifide Estates Management Professional - meanwhile save the public all of us vunerable folk - being ripped off and suffering undue harm risk and - STRESS .It is tough enough being landladies and landlords, many of us foreced into this situation which we did noit want in the first place. thank you for the opportunity of ventilating on this space.”

3. 2

A 2-star review by 'Chris Leasmith' 15/5/2013

Branch:
    181 High Street (Worle) (Weston Super Mare) (North Somerset)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    bs
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Was interested in Letting a property with this agent, did a few viewings and then was told the "reference fee". The fee was almost the cost of the PCM of the flat! Ridiculous, it would have cost 3x times the PCM just to get the keys. I feel sorry for Landlords who are with this agency not realising they're out pricing prospective tenants who want to Rent their properties.

Says a lot when searching "Palmer Snell fees" the first few results are talking about ripoffs.

4. 1

A 1-star review by 'hn' 18/4/2013

BH15
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I have seen various properties with Palmer Snell, & had the 'you must meet with our mortgage adviser' lecture every time I was even remotely interested in a property. I wanted to put in an offer on a house, & despite telling them numerous times that my finances were in place & I had a mortgage in principle, they insisted I see their inhouse mortgage adviser otherwise any offers I made might be rejected by the seller in favour of someone vetted by their inhouse mortgage broker. Not legal I'm told by many sources. Having explained my worries to Palmer Snell regarding conflicts of... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  5. View All Comments (1)by Lookingforsomepaybackformylosttime  21/07/2014

Bang to rights PS again Your arrogant staff even took the piss right to my face when I queried the same thing
  6. 5

A 2-star review by 's' 13/3/2013

Branch:
    4 Adastral Square (Poole) (Dorset)
    BH21
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Very poor service, no contact, had to phone several times, only to be told that property let the day before and they had not got round to tell me.

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“Just phone me back when they new the circumstances.”

7. 4

A 1-star review by 'Completely Incompetent Estate Agent' 6/3/2013

Branch:
    19-21 Castle Lane West (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    BH9
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Well let's start with the positives........... oh wait there are none.
    Now for the Negatives:-

1, No Sales advice what so ever.
    2, Complete Incompetence of staff.
    3, Viewing appointments made and less than 40% actually turned up due to completely idiotic mistakes on Palmer Snell's part and even when the opportunity was there to correct the mistake they still didn't turn up for viewings.
    4, Lack of communication, didn't have any communication from the agent for 10 weeks at one point. When a Viewing did take place we had to constantly chase the agent for feed back and even then... (read more)

8. 3

A 1-star review by 'sellers lose sale because of agent' 4/3/2013

Branch:
    695 Blandford Road (Poole) (Dorset)
    Sales (as a Buyer)
    bh16
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I looked at a bungalow for sale through this agent. my wife and I liked the property and decided to make a offer. we had told the agent we were cash buyers, our house was sold with the survey complete, after we made the offer I was informed that before the offer would be put to the owner I would have to prove that I had enough monies to buy this bungalow.i have to say I am 56 and have bought 8 properties nad have never been asked to prove I have the funds before. what has it got to do with them what my bank balance is that is for the solicetors to deal with I think. didn't buy and wont buy anything through them

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“not insult me about my financial situation”

9. 6

A 5-star review by 'Mrs Pearce' 21/2/2013

Branch:
    719 Christchurch Road (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    BH5

Chris Rowley

After dealing with several other agents in the Boscombe area I can only say that dealing with Palmer Snell was a breath of fresh air.

For a start they are honest. The manager, Chris Rowley told me what my property was worth (was higher than what the other agents said) and showed me what he will do to find me a buyer. He then did exactly that and in a week.

If I had gone with the other agents I would of sold for less money and in fact lost £15,000. In a time where money is tight and every penny counts I cant thank Palmer Snell enough.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

10. A 4-star review by 'skydogx123' 3/2/2013

Branch:
    19-21 Castle Lane West (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    BH9
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Having sold property with several agents in the past and had bad service, I must say that PalmerSnell (Castlelane) have really changed my thoughts on estate agents.

They found me buyer within the 2nd week of marketing and got the sale through within 7 weeks which was something I had not heard of before.

!!!!!!!Highly recommended agents!!!!!!

11. 4

A 1-star review by 'Scott' 10/1/2013

Branch:
    High Street (Gillingham) (Dorset)
    BA9
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Used Palmer Snells to rent a property in Wincanton. Signed paperwork for one house and 4 days before we was due to move in Palmer Snells phoned to say the house had been sold by the Agent. They reluctantly offered us another house on the same complex which we had to take without viewing as our tenancy in another house was about to expire. Moved in one the Friday and questioned about the house we was renting and was told it would be took of the for sale market. The house wasnt taken of the market and was advertised still for sale with Palmer Snells, another two companies and then was up for... (read more)

1. 5

A 1-star review by 'Bournemouth' 6/1/2013

Branch:
    683 Wimborne Road (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    Bh89
    Upload a reviwer profile image

They are piece of crap. They just rob your money for everything. customer service pathetic. No basic manners what so ever. We made a mistake going through this agency and ended up paying our hard earned money for this agency. They charge for each and everything. Please avoid this agency when you go for renting the property. They are scams. We had to book a day off for just less than 2 minutes appointment for the flat inspection. Just no concern of the tenants what so ever. Each time they will send a letter with certain charges we need to pay for the terrible service.

2. 5

A 1-star review by 'Ifonlyiknew' 3/1/2013

Branch:
    45 The Park (Yeovil) (Somerset)
    Ba20
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Palmer snell yeovil what a joke...

So weve been with them a year, and my word its been a shambles since we started. The house has no central heating, it was advertised as central heating. Theres 2 radiators in the whole property servicing 7 rooms.. lol

Our bath wouldnt drain, I called them 5 times to get that sorted in the end I thought id phone the plummer directly. He came out within the hour!

They send letters saying theyd like to look at the property once youve been there for 5 months.. It states if its not convient they can change the date. When you call to say your not... (read more)

3. 3

A 1-star review by 'Psc' 14/11/2012

Branch:
    110 Poole Road (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Probably the worst customer service I have ever encountered. Never reachable, very difficult to get them to organise viewings. Very keen on taking your money and very reluctant to do any work. They fabricated 'evidence' they used against us and we ended up pulling out of renting a property from them and leaving our deposits behind.
    In May 2012, we visited a property with Palmer Snell and fell in love with it. We were keen on waiting at least a day or two to think about it, especially since one of the housemates could see it the next day as they could not be there for the first viewing. The... (read more)

4. 4

A 1-star review by 'Fishbeast' 18/9/2012

Rob Rudge

Rob Rudge

DO NOT USE PALMER SNELL IN PARKSTONE, POOLE!!!!

Having sold various properties before, I am not inexperienced in dealing with agents, and Palmer Snell appeared to be professional in their attitude. They provided lots of "selling spiel" which I took for its worth.
    Once a buyer had been found, things went rapidly downhill. She was persuaded to use their own solicitors (confirmed by the agent himself as nothing short of useless!) and when it came to the point of exchange (after several weeks of waiting for their solicitors to complete enquiries) I then found that they had not... (read more)

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“Admitted their error in the service they provided and agreed to a reduced fee.”

5. 2

A 1-star review by 'Really? You call this a service?' 14/9/2012

Branch:
    24 Southbourne Grove (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I have never written a complaint about anything in my life, I am the sort of person who receives something damaged and puts it in a cupboard rather than sending it back.

But after 40 years on this earth, Palmer Snell and whoever it is that actually owns the brand 'Palmer Snell' have really cheesed me off.

Unless mistaken the four roles an estate agent has in the process of house selling are;

1. Establishing a realistic/viable sale price
    2. Managing ‘viewings’
    3. Liaising with the seller (us) providing us with feedback
    4. Acting on our behalf when a buyer is found and... (read more)

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“Performed the basics of communication: return calls, make calls,Listened Perform the basic principles of estate agency (See complaint) Discuss a complaint like a human being operating in 2012 not 1912.”

6. 4

A 1-star review by 'straycats' 5/4/2012

Branch:
    110 Poole Road (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    Upload a reviwer profile image

From a tenant's POV - a really awful agent. I wasn't told about the renewal fee for my contract and wasn't given the option of a 12 month contract in the first instance, so imagne the lovely surprise I had when a letter landed on my doorstep after 6 months telling me that I had to pay another £125 to stay in my home.

I have no idea what the agency fees I paid them are used for - their maintenance department is utterly useless and it takes many phone calls for them to take action, if they ever do. No one in any of the departments I've spoken to seems to give a damn. If I didn't like my flat and the location so much I would not be staying with them - after my current contract expires I will not be renewing it with Palmer Snell and I will never be using their services again.

What could Palmer Snell do to change your mind??

“They should have taken action against maintenance problems.”

7. 3

A 1-star review by 'Bemused' 4/10/2011

Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Be wary of these cowboys. They will happily accept a holding deposit from you for a property and then push the move in date further and further back until you are unable to move in. Then they keep your deposit. Very unethical and they are being reviewed by Trading Standards.

8. 3

A 1-star review by 'farmer smell' 11/8/2011

Upload a reviwer profile image

USE PALMER SNELL OR HAVE A WEEK IN A MORROCAN JAIL ! IL GET PACKED THEN.

they got everything wrong from the start and i mean everything in the end they offered £250 off the selling fee if i gave them one more chance i did and then they got it all wrong again so i cancelled the contract they said we have a leagle contract ,i said take me to court and i will give you the best advert you have ever had ,no they did not take me to court.

then there was the upton branch ,i explaned that we had sold to a cash buyer and were pushed for time so we went to see a place they advertized but the... (read more)

9. 3

A 1-star review by 'Bob Tardis' 20/7/2011

Upload a reviwer profile image

I am not a complainer, but I want to warn others about this company.

There is an expensive fee for everything; every letter sent seems to involve a fee ranging from around 20 to 70 pounds.

They advertised a rented property, I moved in, they then upped the rent saying 'it was a mistake on the website'. They advertised the property as having a garage, they then rescinded on that saying the garage was not available, and again 'it was a mistake on the website'.

A plumber gained unauthorised access to the property whilst I was at work - no one bothered to tell me, no explanation of how he gained access. It’s quite disconcerting coming home and finding new taps...

The landlord wanted to sell. So, upon moving, they then deducted £200 from my deposit for 2 days rent – apparently their view is that because they scheduled their checkout inspection for the following Monday, I therefore owed then an additional 2 days rent.

Avoid these rich cowboys like the plague.

10. 2

A 1-star review by 'Red Red Robin' 6/7/2011

Sales (as a Buyer)
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Tried to sell my property with them, had 4 viewers (so called) in 3 months, wasted a month saying there was a couple interested, which I think was a load of bull crap.
    Totally unproffessional, remind me of a bunch of amateurs, I don\'t recommend anyone to use their service.
    There are certainly better estate agent firms out there to use than these bunch of time wasters.

Page: