Northwood
Northwood UK | Estate Agents | Letting Agents

Northwood

Agent rating: 4.4 out of 5.0 based on 1167 ratings. This website contains 1166 user reviews of Northwood.

• Northwood has not joined our 'Transparent Agent' Scheme yet.

• "If only I had known about this site before..." is the most common comment we get posted from reviewers that have had a bad experience. So in response, allAgents has introduced the "transparent agent" scheme to help identify agents that are open about independent customer feedback and have nothing to hide. The scheme is FREE to join and as an incentive, allAgents will provide them with FREE LANDLORD & VENDOR ENQUIRES.

If however you do choose to use Northwood, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Get a valuation from one of our 'transparent agents'.
Learn More   Hide

Smartphone? Scan It!

google_qr

Print | Save

Review Widget

Embed the allAgents reviews widget on your site! Customize it easily and just paste the code!

* - works only for premium support branches
Ratings Widget

• 158 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

Northwood is a growing network of independently owned businesses operating with a common goal; to provide a professional service and take the risks out of being a landlord.

Our highly popular Guaranteed Rent service ensures you get the rent even if the tenant fails to pay. What's more we cover void periods and any legal issues associated with problem tenants - what's more, there is no commission and no fees.

We also offer traditional lettings and sales services too and have become leaders in buy to let properties. Each office has a local director who is hands on ensuring local knowledge and national strength.

As founding members of SAFEagent, we pride ourselves on complying with every element of legislation & regulation and continue our campaign to improve consumer rights.

Page last updated on: 30-Jul-2015 17:21:32

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 39)

1. FEATURED REVIEW

Branch:
    43 Milngavie Road (Bearsden) (Glasgow) (East Dunbartonshire)
    Barry Dunlop, Jennifer Fox
    G81
    £465
    Barry DunlopJennifer Fox

I left a very negative review of this company last year and have tried to redress this through Allagents by asking them to remove it, as I am unable to, despite them saying I can, so thought I would write a more realistic review instead.
    I had recently lost my job when I wrote my last review and was under considerable financial stress, as well as mounting health problems when I wrote it. I basically took out my frustration on others who didn't deserve it and for that I apologise.
    I have dealt with Northwood (Glasgow North) for about five years now and have never had any problems with them,... (read more)

2. FEATURED REVIEW

Branch:
    42 Bridge Street (Hereford) (Herefordshire)
    Anna Smolyaeva, Elliott Cairney
    HR2
    £410
    Anna SmolyaevaElliott Cairney
    Anna SmolyaevaElliott Cairney

Very helpful and friendly staff. Elliott handled the viewing and contract signing, he was approachable and answered all questions I had regarding the property and all fees knowledgably. Anna handled the application process, she was extremely friendly and kept me updated throughout the process making it as painless as possible. I receive regular updates regarding planned maintenance and property visits. I would happily recommend this branch of Northwood to anyone.

3. 2

Branch:
    42 Bridge Street (Hereford) (Herefordshire)
    Rebecca Ericson-Grantham, Elliott Cairney
    HR68
    £420
    Rebecca Ericson-GranthamElliott Cairney
    Rebecca Ericson-GranthamElliott Cairney

Since the company has been taken over they are mush more helpful. I had asked the previous owners well over a year ago to have a light fixed which is 15feet in the air.nothing happened. I mentioned it to elliot when he came out to renew my tenancy and within a couple of days Rebecca rang me and organised a contractor to fix it . They arrived spot on time and we're extremely helpful ..so much better service and when I met Rebecca for the first time she put me at ease with her courteous manner . I now feel I can approach them about problems unlike the previous owners. Thank you to all the staff.

4. 2

Daniel Dunkley, Becky Tootell
    nn1
    £640
    Daniel DunkleyBecky Tootell
    Daniel DunkleyBecky Tootell

We contracted with this company for 2.5 years with no problems whatsoever. They were polite,effective,efficient & friendly.Being new to 'letting' I had many questions, but at no time did they make me feel 'nuisance'. I commend their professionalism and would use them again.

View All Comments (1)by Northwood Northampton  30/07/2015

Dear Jean, Thank you for sharing such kind words, you could never be a nuisance and we would be more than happy to help in the future.
  5. 3

Branch:
    129 Havant Road (Drayton) (Portsmouth) (Hampshire)
    Mel Gazur, Val Hickman
    PO8
    £750
    Mel GazurVal Hickman

Northwood have handled our properties for some years now and have always provided a good and reliable service.
    My only criticism is there seems to be a lack of communication between various staff members as we have had the same message left on our ansaphone by two different people two days running on quite a lot of occasions.

6. 3

LE4
    £306
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Northwoods have been my lettings agent since November 2014. Very pleased so far. Rent is paid on time and any problems with property such as maintenance issues are communicated promptly.

7. View All Comments (1)by Andy McG  29/07/2015

Hello: thanks for your feedback. I'm pleased to hear your experience is living up to expectations. Your comments are very valuable - thank you for taking the trouble to let everyone know about how it is going for you. Andy McGarrick, Director
  8. 4

nn4
    £595
    Katherine Bond

very helpful and efficient with any needs i have been in contact for 10 years never a problem. Have handled my tennants very well also and never any problems between them.

9. View All Comments (1)by Northwood Northampton  29/07/2015

Dear James Percival, Thank you for sharing your review. 10 Years has flown by and I'm so glad to hear you are happy with the service.
  10. 4

Nn2
    Katherine Bond

Having Northwood manage my property leaves me feeling happy that it is in good hands and it will be managed professionaly. I would recommend their service to any prospective landlord.

11. View All Comments (1)by Northwood Northampton  29/07/2015

Dear CC, Thank you for such a positive review, it is great that you would recommend Northwood and you feel you are in good hands.
  12. 3

Le3
    £450
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Firstly I'd like to mention the customer service when dealing with this agent, I believe it is 2nd to none these guys always go out of their way to get any issues I've had sorted right away and will keep me updated throughout! The staff are very friendly and have aptly helped with anything I've needed. My property is great and very well maintained and I cannot fault them.

Comments on the Agents fees

“COMPETITIVE, MUCH LESS THAN SOME AGENTS I'VE BEEN WITH”

13. View All Comments (1)by Andy McG  29/07/2015

Rascal - thanks for your comments: the team here will be delighted that one of our tenants thinks so highly of the service...they try really hard to make sure a rented property is a home you can feel happy in. Always feel free to let us know direct if there are issues of any sort in the property, and remember that if you encounter maintenance issues, just log in to our FIXFLO service on northwood-leicester.fixflo.com (no need for the w's!) to get your matter in front of us, any time of day. Andy McGarrick, Director
  14. 1
    person found this

Gosia Prazeniak
    Le15
    £525
    Gosia Prazeniak

Very professional service received throughout the 8 years I have used them. Being a professional landlord and using many other agents in the past dealing with Gosia has been a refreshing change.

15. View All Comments (1)by Andy McG  29/07/2015

Hello D: I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to commend Gosia, and to endorse our services on all your properties over many years now. That is high praise indeed. We look forward to many more years! Andy McGarrick, Director
  16. 3

Hannah Neale
    LE2
    £650
    Hannah Neale

My experience with Northwood, especially Hannah, has been outstanding. They are all very helpful and the process went smoothly. I couldn't wish for better agent for my first rented property!
    Thank You Northwood Team!

“REASONABLE.”

17. View All Comments (1)by Andy McG  29/07/2015

Kasia, hi: that's very kind of you to commend Hannah. Like all the team here her aim is to give you a great property to live in, to make it your home. Keep us posted on things as they arise, and if maintenance ever crops up then I recommend using our alerts service - FIXFLO, on northwood-leicester.fixflo.com (no need for the w's!) Andy McGarrick, Director
  18. 3

Branch:
    I - Land Building, 70 Bromsgrove Street (Southside) (Birmingham) (West Midlands)
    Sophia Hewston, Latha Jayaprakash
    B5
    £675
    Sophia HewstonLatha Jayaprakash

I have worked with Nin and his team since 2009 and have always found their attention to detail and customer service to be second to none, particularly in a business where this is sometimes overlooked. More recently my involvement with the company has been via Sophia and Latha, both of whom are excellent communicators and, more importantly, do what they say. Thank you guys for your attention - it's good to know that you are looking after us.

“FAIR AND REASONABLE.”

19. 3

Wendy Tolfrey, Sue Hall
    RH11
    £830
    Wendy TolfreySue Hall

I have let my flat through Northwood for nearly six years and have no complaints about their service.
    The staff are friendly and professional, every aspect of the letting (renewals, repairs etc) are dealt with swiftly, courteously and efficiently.
    I would certainly recommend them

20. 4

Branch:
    9 Regent Parade, Brighton Road (Sutton) (Greater London)
    Conna Barker, Trina Pitt
    Sm1
    £1200
    Conna BarkerTrina Pitt
    Conna BarkerTrina Pitt

The team at Northwood Sutton branch have been very helpful with my first ever letting. they found me a reliable Tenant and manage any problems that arise with a high standard of service

21. 3

Branch:
    55-57 Mesnes Street (Wigan) (Greater Manchester)
    Wa9
    £600
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

As a first time landlady in 2013 I was extremely nervous about renting my house out. I had heard all manner of stories regarding bad tenants and them vandalising houses. I spent a lot of time researching different companies and whilst there seemed to be some fair deals around, for me I wanted the security of knowing that the rent would be paid to me, no matter what. I guess its true what they say... You get what you pay for.... Yes, you can get a management company thats "cheaper" than Northwoods, but... Will you get your rent every month, and will they ensure that the property is returned to you in the same condition that you handed it over in? Probably not!
    The first tenant that I had wasn't a very good one, they didn't look after the house and gardens very well at all. Northwoods identified the problem when inspecting the property and paid for all necessary landscaping and maintenance to return the property to its former glory.
    I can't fault Northwoods and will certainly be using them again in the future.

Comments on the Agents fees

“YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.... THE FEES ARE WORTH IT FOR A GREAT SERVICE!”

22. 5

Branch:
    20 Upland Road (East Dulwich) (London) (Greater London)
    Stuart Williams, Jacqueline Williams
    SE22
    Stuart Williamsno photo
    Stuart WilliamsJacqueline Williams

I have worked with Stuart for the past two years and he always provides great service with very prompt communication. His fees are most reasonable and his staff is friendly and courteous. I would recommend him and his firm most highly.

Comments on the Agents fees

“VERY FAIR AND REASONABLE.”

23. View All Comments (1)by Stuart  27/07/2015

Thank you very much Nancy. We look forward to continuing for many years to come.
  24. 4

£830
    Wendy Tolfrey

Three years ago I began renting my UK apartment out through Northwood when I moved to the US for work. As you can imagine, living overseas makes it difficult to handle administrative items, fighting against the distances and time differences is challenging. Northwood's guaranteed rental scheme was perfect for me and it has taken a weight off of my mind knowing that while I am away the property is being taken care of by people who will care for it like I would. Wendy Tolfrey is wonderful - she has been helping me since the beginning and she has patiently answered all my questions promptly and professionally in the three years I have been letting with them. Wendy and all the Northwood team could not have been more helpful and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone else in my situation.

25. 4

Wendy Tolfrey, Peter Green
    Wendy TolfreyPeter Green

The team at Northwood, are always helpful and go the extra mile, I never have to worry about my property as they are one step ahead. I recommend Northwood to my friends and colleagues especially the 12 month guaranteed rent scheme.

26. 4

RH12
    Wendy Tolfrey

Great, personalised service from Wendy and her team from the initial property inspection and valuation through to ongoing property support. Throughout, the whole process was made very clear with all costs explained, tenants were found quickly and any maintenance issues have been dealt with professionally, keeping us fully informed at all times. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Northwood to any prospective landlord, it's all very hassle free which is definitely what we were looking for.

27. 4

Wendy Tolfrey, Megan Scannell
    £960
    Wendy TolfreyMegan Scannell

I have been with Northwood Crawley for 8 years and have always had very good service. I would strongly recommend Northwood.

28. 4

Rh10
    £800
    Wendy Tolfrey

Excellent service have use platinum scheme for over 8 years! Very good agency both peter and Wendy are professional and detailed in their approach

29. 3

Branch:
    21 Head Street (Colchester) (Essex)
    Mark Bembrick
    co1
    £800
    Mark Bembrick

i have never let a property before and they have been helpful and informative through out the whole process and quick to find tenants

30. 3

Gosia Prazeniak, Bali Landa
    LE4
    £425
    Gosia PrazeniakBali Landa

The service I received is mainly very good. The agent found a tenant immediately and they seem to be a good tenant. I have always been paid on time. When I first enquired about letting my house I then effectively messed the agent about a bit (due to personal circumstances). They were fine about this though. When I later went ahead it all went pretty smoothly. Gosia saw me at my convenience and got things sorted pretty swiftly. A minor blip was they did get the dates wrong with the utilities/council tax which resulted in me paying for utilities and council tax which should have been paid by the tenant. On chasing this up several times it was not sorted by the letting agents. Eventually I sorted the council tax and got a refund. These are little annoyances that should not have occurred if the property is fully managed, but in the grand scheme of things it was a blip.

Comments on the Agents fees

“I DON'T PAY FEES AS SUCH AS THE PROPERTY IS LET UNDER A GUARANTEED INCOME SCHEME. APPROXIMATELY 25% IS DEDUCTED EVERY MONTH FROM RENT THE AGENT RECEIVES, BUT I GET PAID REGARDLESS OF WHETHER I HAVE A TENANT OR NOT. THE PROPERTY LET IS ALSO FULLY MANAGED. THIS IS A PRETTY GOOD ARRANGEMENT. I GET PAID REGULARLY AND HAVE PIECE OF MIND. MY INCOME COVERS MY MORTGAGE (JUST) AND I DON'T GET STUNG FOR TAX!”

31. View All Comments (1)by Andy McG  27/07/2015

Thank you for your comments - really appreciated that a client takes the trouble to let us know what they think. It's good to know how the service is working for you, less good to hear that the "blip" you refer to occurred - something odd there, and I promise it will be looked into. We only get better when we know where to eradicate the "blips", so thank you. As for the fees/costs comments, certainty is a priceless asset - we pay whether there is a tenant or not, as you rightly say. And when one considers that we guarantee more than 90% of landlords make on a traditional basis once all empty periods, fees and commission are taken into account, it is indeed a "good arrangement". Andy McGarrick, Director
  32. 4

RH11
    £850
    Wendy Tolfrey

Northwood led us through the process of their guaranteed rental scheme and it has worked out brilliantly.
    Before Northwood, there had been an occasion where a tenant left after defaulting on their rent, and the guaranteed rental scheme means that will not happen again.
    We were so pleased with the way it worked for the first property that when we purchased a second property it was a no-brainer to ensure that Northwood was used for this property as well.
    All the advice we have received from Wendy has been very fair in our opinion.
    If any maintenance is required on the property, Northwood inform us and let us choose whether we want to effect the repair ourselves or they can arrange for it to be sorted.
    It really does make a difference - all the hassle has been taken away and we feel much more comfortable with the situation now.
    I have recommended Northwood to friends in the same situation.

33. 4

Rh10
    £1160
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I have used Northwood Crawley to manage two properties for over 7 years, one on their Gold and one on the Platinum scheme. Both have been consistently well managed for me with excellent communication. I am always happy with the cost of any repairs and replacements carried out by their tradesmen too and would have no hesitation in putting any future property in their hands.

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE FEES ARE FAIR FOR THE WORK UNDERTAKEN BY NORTHWOOD.”

34. 4

Sophia Hewston, Latha Jayaprakash
    B15
    £725
    Sophia HewstonLatha Jayaprakash

I will highly recommend this branch of Northwood to everyone. I received a very professional and efficient service from them all. My plumbing related issues were resolved on the same day, with a plumber coming to fix the problem. Some other queries took a while as they required the landlord approval and she lived overseas. Several times I requested receipts for my rents and deposit to claim a relocation fund, and they were always provided to me on time. I incurred minor deductions from my deposit and I believe they were very fair and reasonable. Very happy with the service and would use them if I ever have to let a property.

35. 4

Wendy Tolfrey, Megan Scannell
    rh16
    £1400
    Wendy TolfreyMegan Scannell

Great communication skills combined with useful advice.Very friendly .This sort of service is rare these days.Would highly recommend them to a first time landlord/lady.

36. 1
    person found this

A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    9 Regent Parade, Brighton Road (Sutton) (Greater London)
    KT19
    £1000
    Experience:
    Would you use the agent again? No

Only rented a property for a two months and looked after it to a very high standard.

However when moving out I received a check out report which was ludicrous, I was being charged for all types of things that were either not true or were damaged or needing cleaning before we moved in.

Only after producing the check in report and pointing out that they had already stated items needed cleaning or fixing did they agree to reduce the bill. In my opinion it should have been waived all together but they refused.

They also increased the check out charges and landlord fees when moving out even though i had written confirmation of what these fees were when signing the contract. In the end after constantly trying to get the price down to what was agreed I just gave up as i was desperate to move in to my new property.

One particular person I had to deal with was really rude and had a really bad attitude.

This estate agents were a nightmare to deal with and i would not recommend them at all.

37. View All Comments (1)by Zee  28/07/2015

Hi there. Thank you for review however Northwood in Sutton did not manage this property and neither was this under rent guarantee. Therefore a check out would not have been conducted by us in fact would have been via the actual landlord. Hence this review seems slightly confusing.
  38. 4

Wendy Tolfrey, Sue Hall
    £875
    Wendy TolfreySue Hall

Northwood have been letting my property for nearly 6 years now. They are efficient, friendly and are always happy to ensure work is carried out on my property in a cost effective and efficient manner. Nothing is ever too much trouble for them and I have had no issues with any of the tenants they have had stay at my property. All the agents, especially Wendy and Sue are very easy to deal with. I would recommend to anyone wishing let their property.

39. 4

Branch:
    1 Bellvue Road (Southampton) (Hampshire)
    Jemma Mead, mandy
    SO40
    £795
    Jemma Meadno photo
    Jemma Meadmandy

I met Jemma at the house I am now renting through Northwoods. She was warm and welcoming at the house and although there were potential clients leaving and arriving she didn't rush me. Jemma was informative and showed empathy to my circumstances to renting.

I was over the moon when I called the next day and it was clarified the property was going to be mine to rent.
    I met Mandy at the office a few days later and the rental agreement was processed quickly and professionally. Again the ladies in the office were friendly and welcoming while my son and I were there.

I found Northwoods accommodating to a dates that were suitable for myself and the landlord. I had a couple of minor maintenence issues that were addressed very quickly.

Overall, a very pleasent experience. Thank you. We are very happy!