Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Miles & Barr

Agent rating: 1.8 out of 5.0 based on 25 ratings. This website contains 25 user reviews of Miles & Barr.

Filter Reviews

• 4 recommend
  • 21 disapprove

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Miles & Barr is currently unavailable.

Miles & Barr has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Miles & Barr, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews

Page last updated on: 29-Sep-2014 18:26:44

1. 1

A 2-star review by 'MuffinTins10' 28/8/2014

CT10
    Upload a reviwer profile image

We were on the market with Miles and Barr for four months yet only had four viewings in that time. No contact with them week to week and no feedback as to why they didn't think we were getting any interest. Literally weeks would go by with us hearing nothing from them. There are three other properties on in the same area as us (with different agents) and all have sold in that time.

Feedback was patchy on the odd occasions we did have viewings (if we were lucky enough to get any at all). We got the impression that the staff didn't seem to know a great deal about the prospective buyers... (read more)

2. A 1-star review by 'Suzy' 16/8/2014

Buying agent
    Steve Barr
    CT9

Steve Barr

This has to be the very worst agent ever. We were shown around the property by Zara who was on her mobile texting the entire half hour viewing, and she said not a word! I put an offer in on the property and rang 5 days later to find out about it, and was met with "is it about the property" wtf? Then I was informed the offer wasn't put forward as their company like to know you have a mortgage offer (AIP) before putting an offer forward, again wtf? Since when do agents take it upon themselves to be so selective, and more importantly why wasn't I informed of this anomaly when i... (read more)

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“They could have done their job PROPERLY and PROFESSIONALLY.”

3. A 1-star review by 'Tammy' 2/8/2014

CT1
    Rent PCM
    £825
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I moved into the property on March 4, 2014. There was a lingering dog odor that permeated the apartment- I had not noticed it during the one viewing that I had of the place. The offending odor was coming from the carpet in the reception room. The odor was very offensive.
    I reprted it to Miles and Barr and the representative got back to me later and said 'The land lord said it's not that bad; sorry there's nothing we can do'. I said, 'At least have someone come and smell it and check it out'. The agency said, 'You can clean it. Rent a machine but first call us so we can call the landlord... (read more)

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“The agent could have made sure that the property was habitable and fit for a tenants enjoyment of the property. Th agent could have portrayed a more assertive, take charge, no-nonsense attitude in getting requested repairs accomplished, thus enhancing good business relations, ethical practices and professional standards and trust.”

4. A 1-star review by 'linda' 1/8/2014

Dan lawrence, amanda idiot
    ct14

Dan lawrenceamanda idiot

This sale has taken nearly 4 months, they use their own in house Solicitors, Boys and Maughan, who are almost as inefficient as they are. There was no chain on this property as it was a probate sale. I have worked in Solicitors for 20 years and have never seen such ineptitude as this Estate Agent and their Solicitors. I also told them categorically that I did not want a buy to let investor to buy this house. I wanted it sold as a home for someone to love. Amanda let slip that it has indeed been sold to a buy to let investor! They never phone you back and do not reply to letters or emails. Today was completion and they have not sent their bill to my Solicitors, I phoned and asked why, they sent it to the wrong address. You could not make this up.

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEY ONLY DESERVE HALF A PERCENT THEY HAVE NOT DONE ENOUGH TO EARN ANY MORE”

5. A 1-star review by 'Never Again' 22/7/2014

CT52
    Rent PCM
    £350
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Having suffered at the hands of these cowboys I would strongly urge any prospective tenants to not have a thing to do with Miles and Barr. There are other, far far better letting agents in Whitsable, Herne Bay and Canterbury.

Lethargic

6. A 1-star review by 'Ryan Tickner' 24/5/2014

Lettings (as a Landlord)
    ME8
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Mile & Barr are terrible company!
    After I put a ad on Gumtree they then took my pitchers and advertised it on there sites with out my permission.
    When I decided to go with a decent letting agents the could not advertise my property as Miles & Barr where Being extremely awkward about taking the ad down of there sites (Zoopla) ect. The issue was ( you cant advertise the same property on one site)
    Not sure why Miles & Barr where doing this. After talking to them saying I would like it taking down, three days later my letting agents contacted me saying Miles & Barr have said they have tried to get in touch with you. Witch was a total lie!

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“Listen to me in the first place. Don\'t go behind my back by keeping my ad on these sites when I have said to take them down! Then lying to my letting agents by saying you have tried to get hold off me and that I am not replying to calls. or message”

7. A 1-star review by 'rcs' 22/4/2014

ct3
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Viewed a property on the Saturday 19th April 2014 and went straight to the office and paid the administration fee, after I decided I'd like to rent the property. When I called on Monday was told there was already another applicant and they were sending both sets of details to the landlord. I'd never have paid money for the admin process if I'd known this, as for fairness it should be first come first served, and I was second. I wasn't accepted for the property (which in fairness was only right) but I had cancelled two other viewings with M and B on the Saturday, as I assumed I was the only prospective tenant. Awful customer service, very few brain cells to rub together in the staff. Would never rent via M and B or let them manage a property for me.

8. A 1-star review by 'Jessical' 8/8/2013

Joshua Wickenden
    Ct15

Joshua Wickenden

AVOID AVOID AVOID.
    we are a couple who have moved down to deal from Swansea in Wales.
    Firstly the estate agent josh sent us an email with what was meant to be all the paper work they needed for us to move in to the property and our move in date was the 29th of July or near this date we had an email saying they needed more documents from us and the move in date was changed to the 2 no of August on the 1st of August they came back saying they needed even more paper work and were asking for ridiculous things. The date was then changed to the 2nd of August but just as we thought they rang us... (read more)

9. A 2-star review by 'Camden' 10/7/2013

CT11
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Not sure if it's the landlord or the agent but they hid problems with the property until I found them after moving in, they are cheerful but dismissive and generally seem a bit la-de-da not bothered.

There was a rat in my property - no one came to kill it. I had to do it myself.
    The plumbing under the sink leaks.
    Was told I paid a quarterly utility bill - it's actually a key meter (I specifically asked to avoid these properties)
    Didn't take down their 'to let' sign for well over a month after I asked them to take it down.
    Took me ages to get them to sort the tv aerial which was broken I found after moving in.

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“They could actually care, Im not sure how they rest at night knowing they home people with rats and mould on the walls.”

10. 1

A 2-star review by 'Dave' 7/7/2013

Branch:
    33 St Georges Place (Canterbury) (Kent)
    Ian Chappell
    CT1

Ian Chappell

This agent was very friendly at first and the property was put on the market very quickly and efficiently. We hardly got any viewings while on their books and we received no updates from them. We never had our calls returned and we got excuses like the agent had hayfever or was on leave.
    When telling the agent we were pulling the house off the market, they told us that a prospective buyer was interested in our house, but alas, we heard nothing from them for a further month.
    I would not use this agent again. Not helpful, they lose interest and seem keen to take your property on but are extremely lethargic thereafter.

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“Be honest, answer calls. Don\'t lie”

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'Lost over £15,000' 26/3/2013

Property Management
    CT15
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This was the e-mail I received on the 12th November 2012........ It is now 26th March 2013. I guess he's still extremely busy. We've now instructed our solicitor to handle the problems we've had with this company.

Dear Mrs Lewis,

I have asked Simon Thompson (Miles and Barr) to please email you as the vast majority of the issues you have raised need to be dealt with by him including the deposit return.

I spoke with him at length last week as I am conscious that you have been very patient and do need a full response.

Simon assured me that he would email you and copy me in but he did explain that he was extremely busy. I have copied him in on this email in the hope that he will now reply to you. Please feel free to email him directly.

Kind regards,

Vicki

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“1. Managed our property under the terms originally agreed. 2. Returned money owed to us. 3. Returned items of furniture that they said they would store for us. 4. Reported structural issues about our property - these problems which we were not informed about led to us selling the property at a substantial loss.”

2. A 1-star review by 'Stockleigh' 13/12/2012

CT15
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Should have known when we had to completly redraft our own sale particulars. We have just bought and sold through this agent, when you contact them the stock answer is "he is on the phone" and "he will call you back", then you get no call and have to call again. their excuse and there are many of them is "that they have been out of the office". they seem to have no drive for progressing the sale, we spent the whole time chasing the sale ourselves, they allowed our vendor to go back on what had been agreed and just fobbed us off the whole time with "there's nothing we can do" all in all we paid alot of money for a sub-standard service having bought and sold 10+ propertys over 15 years these are by far the worst estate agents we have had the misfortune to deal with.

3. A 2-star review by 'Tori' 24/10/2012

Upload a reviwer profile image

Had a viewing on a lovely property this morning. When I mentionned who it was on with while in the staffroom at work, I got a loud "oooohhh" followed by advice to "avoid like the plague". However, I thought I'd make up my own mind so I went along to the viewing. The woman did not know the answer to any question I had about the property. She couldn't even tell me if the landlord was male or female. She was very quick to tell us we had to pay £100 EACH for "processing fees" which seems a little extortionate. She wasn't sure where the gas meter was and couldn't show us the inside of the garage or shed. She also told me the property had only been empty for a week when the dust and cobwebs told another story. Sorry landlords but if you're property is on with Miles and Barr it already has a mark in the "against" column for us.

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“Not told lies and had some basic knowledge on the property.”

4. A 1-star review by 'Luckyme' 11/8/2012

Sales (as a Buyer)
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I bought a property via this agent, it was the most stressful sale I have ever experienced and I have bought and sold lots of property.Most of the problems were caused thru the agent as he was a liar with a dreadful memory and had no idea of how to progress a sale. He could even lie within the same sentence, this was also the opinion of my broker and solicitor. I usually received 7/8 panic calls a day which had nothing to do with me or my end of the sale. I did not even receive the total amount of keys on completion and of course this wasn't his fault either.
    I have been compelled to write... (read more)

5. A 5-star review by 'Amazed3' 19/7/2012

Upload a reviwer profile image

Spent a Saturday with this branch who arranged six viewings for us and a dedicated person to take us around as we do not know the area very well. All information was to hand and we received excellent service. other agents could learn a lot from this branch
    Well done!!!!!

6. A 1-star review by 'aaliyah2012' 8/6/2012

Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Upload a reviwer profile image

we viewed this property about 3 - 4 weeks ago and we filled in application terms then miles and barr called us saying we had the property so we went and paid admin fees and deposit and they told us to hand our notice in to our landlord so we did that and then about 2 weeks after they called us saying that we didn't have it and when we asked them why they said that our landlord gave us a bad reference so we called our landlord and asked them and they said we didn't say that and we can't give bad references. So we called miles and barr again and they said didn't even apologise and were very rude on the phone and didn't care that we could of been homeless by the end of the month luckily our landlord let us stay and retracted our contract so i will never go with miles and barr ever again

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“They could of not lied and led us on and not tell us to give our notice in to our landlord never gona go back to this company ever and i will spread the word so they don\'t do this to anyone else”

7. 1

A 1-star review by 'Gary' 29/2/2012

Upload a reviwer profile image

First of all I called Miles and Barr to arrange a viewing of a property for myself to buy in margate. They said thats fine and we arranged a time (2:30) to meet so that we could go inside and view the property. I drove all the way down from gravesend (50 miles) and even got down there well early. 2:30pm came around and went so I called them using my own phone and credit only to be told were sorry but we havent got the keys. So firstly they should of known the situation with the keys while i was on the phone to them the first time around, or even of called me before I left from... (read more)

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“The communication and organisation could of been alot better.”

8. 2
    people found this

A 1-star review by 'RMJ' 25/1/2012

Rob Sabin

Rob Sabin

I live in a conversion of a 1726 listed building that today is 6 apartments 5 accessed from one road and mine on another, they consistently advertised the property showing my front door and gave the impression that my apartment was for sale, i even had agents tried to open my private door on viewings.

i reported them to the Ombudsmen and they changed there description to the house name not the road name, but when they *sold it subject to contract they delivered 1000s of leaflets in the area clearly showing my front door as SOLD by them.

The Property Misdescriptions Act 1991 clearly states that address should not be mis leading

they even had the stupidity to put one through my front door idiot ,

i have spoken with Rob Sabin face to face about this issue of confusion many times but they are only invested in making money and prepared to get gain viewings to property's they have even by misleading where the properties are located

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“The used my front door and grand entrance to sell apartments accessed on a different road if they sold mine would they use the church as a description ? Property Misdescriptions Act 1991 i am sure they breach it often”

9. A 1-star review by 'SwalecliffeLandlord' 6/10/2011

Upload a reviwer profile image

If you are renting or considering renting your property in the Whitstable and Herne Bay area AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.
    They treat thier tenants with contempt, blame landlords for thier own poor management and seem to exist soley as a parasite to both parties' wealth and happiness. Since being taken over by Miles and Barr (formally they were Fosters, a well respected local agent) the decline in service has been remarkable. Local landlords in Whitstable and Herne Bay won't touch them with a bargepole. Tenants are often driven away by Miles and Barrs' agenda to make them dance through hoops for any service or support. It's simple, the landlord is the golden goose and the tenant is vermin. Be weary of extra escalating "service fees" not mentioned until they have your commitment and money. LANDLORDS AND TENANTS STAY AWAY. MILES AND BARR LETTINGS ARE COWBOYS!

What could Miles & Barr do to change your mind??

“Being treated as anything other than money in a suit. Treating the tenants in my properties as humans rather than vermin. Not lying all the time Not taking money of tenants for 'services' I know nothing about and pocketing the money.”

10. A 1-star review by 'milliemop' 17/2/2011

Upload a reviwer profile image

We tried to sell our property through Miles and Barr last year. Huge waste of time.
    The person we were dealing with never contacted us to let us know what was happening, and never gave us feedback from our viewings. Things were very slow for months, and they never suggested we lower our asking price (which we were more than willing to do as we told them we wanted a quick sale). They just ignored us completely - I think they even forgot we were on their books. The person we were dealing with then left and we were passed onto someone else who was just as incompetent. We were promised regular updates and feedback when we signed up with them and it never materialised. We came back from holiday to find 2 voicemail messages asking us to show people around (despite telling 3 separate people exactly when we were on holiday and leaving the keys with them).

We moved to another agent and got 2 different offers within a few weeks. Miles and Barr wasted almost 3 months of our time, but because we were new to selling, we didn't realise quite how bad the service was. Dreadful.....

1. A 5-star review by 'jack' 25/2/2010

Upload a reviwer profile image

In our opinion until all estate agents are licenced this agent is the guage to go by. All the staff provided a friendly, efficient and excellent service. We were kept informed of all market movements and not once pressurised into dropping our price for a quick sale.

2. A 5-star review by 'watertails' 10/12/2009

Upload a reviwer profile image

I bought a house in Ramsgate and was pleasantly surprised at the lengths the staff went to to help with with tricky dates and my awkward requests. Found that they were very much on my side when we were facing trouble towards the end and we got moved in safe & sound.

3. A 5-star review by 'Dan' 10/12/2009

Sales (as a Buyer)
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Exceptional level of service from Miles & Barr. When I bought my first property, held my hand from start to finish and were always available when I needed them.

4. A 1-star review by 'Pete' 9/8/2008

Upload a reviwer profile image

Worst estate agent I've ever had dealings with.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (2) Feature This Review
  5. View All Comments (2)by Pete  12/09/2010

It wasn't 2008 it was recent and they do it quite a lot. They don't order hips or if they order them they don't advertise your house with clients. If you haven't paid for the hip they don't get you any buyers simple as that they are the worst agent in Ramsgate. Pete
  6. A 1-star review by 'molliemallone' 27/3/2008

Upload a reviwer profile image

Avoid like the plague, I've been misled, lied to, and led up the garden path and back down again. They acted illegally by telling me that they were doing the HIP and I didn't need to do anything, when in actual fact they didn't even order it until 3 months after it was put on the market - a week after I accepted an offer.

AVOID AVOID AVOID!

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  7. View All Comments (1)by Pete  09/08/2008

I agree, they were doing this with all of their clients, shameful!