Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Martin & Co

Agent rating: 2.3 out of 5.0 based on 519 ratings. This website contains 514 user reviews of Martin & Co.

Offices / Branches

• 352 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Martin & Co is currently unavailable.

Martin & Co has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Martin & Co, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 18)

Page last updated on: 21-Oct-2014 16:31:56

1. A 1-star review by 'cat' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    13-15 Upper Craigs (Stirling) (Stirlingshire)
    , Leslie Stirling
    FK8
    £475

Leslie Stirling

Absolutely awful. Avoid like the plague. No sense of professionalism or management about this branch whatsoever. Whenever you go in they are always sitting occupied with their faces glued to the computer screens with tea and biscuits in the other hand however they are always unable to take you calls.
    Most unhelpful experience ever, no inventory, given keys when previous tenants had moved out the property. "Property manager" non existent despite a new member of staff. Extremely rude. Tried to explain a fault within the boiler system as I'm the one facing the problem daily, to be told I'm wrong despite an electrician stating the same fact.
    If this is the number one letting agent in the UK then oh my god. They are all a bunch of desk monkeys and have absolutely no commitment to their job. They are fast enough to take money off of you but if you have a problem with something else regarding your property, you're better off talking to a brick wall. Shocking.

“ONE WORD: HORRIFIC.”

2. A 1-star review by 'Absolute rubbish' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    4 Grove Road South (Southsea) (Portsmouth) (Hampshire)
    Joleen Moret
    PO1
    £675

Joleen Moret

Absolutely terrible dealings with Martin and Co we had a number of complaints which were only dealt with when we refused to resign the contract before then we were completely ignored and they claimed we had never mentioned anything. Nearer the end of our tenancy we felt rather victimised with any disturbances or problems in the block blamed on us without any proof (none of which were to do with us). Disgusting service in my opinion

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Not victimised us and fixed problems when requested”

3. 2

A 1-star review by 'Leighanne' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    217 Nantwich Road (Crewe) (Staffordshire)
    wn1
    £450
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Rubbish was looking for a house to rent found one put some money down to secure the house then got telled someone else was having that house then I was going to view another house got tell the day I was support to see it someone else has got it rubbish not very helpful and poor service will not be using them again

4. A 5-star review by 'John' 16/10/2014

Viv Jenner, Rebecca Chivers
    RG24
    £1150

Viv JennerRebecca Chivers

I moved abroad (Australia) back in August 2008 and we were worried about which letting agency we would use for managing our house. As soon as we met with Viv from Martin & Co my wife and I knew we had found the right company to look after our property.

Martin & Co have been nothing but seasoned professionals when it comes to managing our propert from the financial side to the maintenance, they have been excellent with each tenant and we have built up a solid working relationship with the branch staff.

Living on the otherside of the world, we can communicate via email and everything is acted on before we wake up the next day. We could not be happier and would highly recommend Martin & Co in Basingstoke to anyone looking for a very professional letting agency in the Hampshire area.

Comments on the Agents fees

“FROM A MARKET PERSPECTIVE WE RECIEVED THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE RENT IN THE AREA WITHOUT ANY MONTHS WITH THE HOUSE SITTING EMPTY. WE HAVE HAD SEVERAL TENANTS OVER THE PAST 6 YEARS AND WE HAVE NEVER HAD THE PROPERTY EMPTY SINCE HANDING THIS TO MARTIN & CO TO MANAGE WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT.”

5. 1

A 2-star review by 'Lots of love' 15/10/2014

Branch:
    21 Whitley Street (Reading) (Berkshire)
    Surveys
    RG2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

My experience with Martin & Co was so bad! There are such unprofessional people working in that office. Words cannot explain how aggressive and arrogant the boys are. Especially the 'boss'. He practically shouts at people and has no respect for any of his tenants. In my opinion, someone else needs to take over that primary school like company and get him and his snobby colleagues/puppets out of there. I'd recommend the Caversham branch all day everyday!

6. 2

A 1-star review by 'DS' 13/10/2014

Branch:
    162 Narborough Road (Leicester) (Leicestershire)
    LE2
    £575
    Upload a reviwer profile image

After being told my full circumstances they are happy to take your money for referencing and then claim the landlord has turned down a payment of six months rent in advance and a guarantor as I am not working due to ill health. The reason given is not my health but the landlord insurance to protect non payment, I offered full payment in advance.

Sadly they are a franchise company whose management are very poor and staff training is non existent, abusive, liars and incompetent.

PLEASE AVOID

Comments on the Agents fees

“CHARGED FULL FEES FOR A SERVICE THAT WAS NOT PROVIDED DUE TO THEIR OWN INCOMPETENCE”

7. A 5-star review by 'ToriaF' 9/10/2014

Linda Gunner, james wiggins
    7 Bi
    £675

Linda Gunnerjames wiggins

We have used Martin and Co to let our property on a couple of occasions now and we've been absolutely delighted with the service we've received from them at all times. We initially went with Martin and Co via a recommendation from a family friend and its turned out to be a great decision. All of the staff we've dealt with, whether its been Brad, Linda, James or Richard are always extremely friendly and helpful, and they're always willing to answer any queries we have. The staff have excellent knowledge of the market in the local area, and they're also highly efficient in their jobs. I would highly recommend them to my friends and family and we won't hesitate to use them again above any other local agent.

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'WhatGoesAround' 8/10/2014

Branch:
    15 Duke Street (Chelmsford) (Essex)
    CM2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Martin & Co Chelmsford are quite frankly the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I can safely advise anyone who is looking to buy/rent a new property to avoid them at all costs. Even if my dream property became available through Martin & Co, I would avoid them like the plague. They are horrendous in every aspect of their business and charge extortionate rates for a pitiful service.

From the very first communication to the last, they have proved themselves to be a total shambles time and time again. The “charges” they request are an outright robbery... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  9. View All Comments (1)by Emma Roberts  09/10/2014

I'm very sorry that you feel that the service you received has not met your expectations. As this complaint is anonymous, I am unable to investigate further at this point. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your concerns, if you would like to get in touch with me directly, I will happily look into your file. My direct e-mail address is emma.roberts@martinco.com. Emma Roberts Branch Manager
  10. A 5-star review by 'Emma White' 5/10/2014

rg21
    £500
    Upload a reviwer profile image

First time living on my own and renting. Staff could not have been more helpful. They had a solution for every problem I had and made me feel at ease with the whole process. Would recommend them,

11. A 5-star review by 'P.S.' 2/10/2014

Branch:
    5 Raglan Street (Harrogate) (North Yorkshire)
    Susanne Price
    HG1
    £795

Susanne Price

I first encountered Martin & Co in Harrogate whilst searching for a suitable property as an investment & for buy-to-let, and was very impressed indeed with them.
    They were generous with useful advice as to how to proceed with finding a property, even being willing to give their opinions on the suitability of various properties which I was considering. Their suggestions were invaluable to me in the final selection of the property which I bought.
    From the moment the sale was completed, they were efficient and professional in all the many areas which need to be covered in letting a... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“REASONABLE & VALUE FOR MONEY.”

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'Humunculos' 25/9/2014

Branch:
    162 Narborough Road (Leicester) (Leicestershire)
    LE2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Worst real estate agents I have ever dealt with. They are rude, unprofessional and ignore their own legally binding paper work. They should be shut down as they do not do their jobs properly. They messed me around with my rent, refused to give my deposit back 4 months after they had said they would and when I called after 2pm (they refused to deal with me before this time) they told me it was 2:10 and they would call after 2. Disgusting, unprofessional and there are far better real estate agents to use! Disgusting!

2. 1

A 1-star review by 'Neil' 18/9/2014

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    WV11
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I have used Martin & Co for the last 3 years and in this time I have had consistent battles with them just to complete simple tasks. Firstly, one thing they have done well is rent collection. My rent has been paid into my account more or less on time each month, that is where the positives stop.

Any time any maintenance work is required it is never managed correctly or in a timely manner. I pay them a percentage of my rental income each month and always feel like I need to manage them to manage my property which surely defeats the object. I have received reports from the tenants that... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE FEES ARE NOT UNREASONABLE IF THE SERVICE YOU ARE RECEIVING IS POSITIVE. SADLY, I PAY MARTIN & CO EACH MONTH AND GET NOTHING POSITIVE IN RETURN.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“I have given Martin & Co several opportunities to change my mind. There have now been too many instances of being let down (I can\'t remember a positive experience when having to deal with them).”

3. A 1-star review by 'Unhappy_tenant' 16/9/2014

Branch:
    191 Mill Road (Cambridge) (Cambridgeshire)
    cb4
    £1000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Absolutely disgraceful service. I would recommend that people stay away from this agency. They charge ridiculous fees (much more than other agents around), do not answer phones or reply to answer messages, they take weeks to reply to emails. They tell you things by word of mouth, but fail to mention that for it to stand, they need it in writing. They don't turn up to do inspections or viewings when they say they will. And they came round to the flat I am renting today and didn't even lock the door behind themselves! Absolutely disgusting customer service. I'm not surprised they have a high staff turnover!

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Make fees cheaper, actually call people back, give a better service as we have paid them!”

4. A 1-star review by 'Sue Mortimer' 14/9/2014

Branch:
    29 High Street (High Wycombe) (Buckinghamshire)
    HP13
    £925
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I recently used Martin & Co to find a tenant for a recently purchased flat. The first meet went well but from then on communications were difficult. I had to chase constantly, either by phone or email and felt that I was leading the whole process, which for a first-time landlady is not what I wanted. After the initial meet, I went into the office to hand over keys and was given such a hard sell to try to get me to upgrade to full management option which was appalling. I got the distinct impression that they did not know what they were doing regarding paperwork. I could have done the majority of the work without them. The only good comment I can make is the tenants seem very good.

I would not recommend using these agents.

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT THEY DID.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“By being supportive to a first-time landlady and certainly communicate more efficiently.”

5. 3

A 1-star review by 'rtdon13' 11/9/2014

Branch:
    8 Bridge Street (Northampton) (Northamptonshire)
    nn4
    Upload a reviwer profile image

martin and co seem to have a tendency to charge ridiculous fees to do virtually nothing. I was left in a mouldy, insecure house house with no heating or hot water for a year with a baby. The house then got broken into (admittedly not martins fault) however, they refused to repair the door that had been kicked in saying they didn't believe me that i had been burgled even though i provided them with a police crime reference number, thus leaving the house insecure. They also outright denied that the boiler had broken down and insisted on charging me £70 call out fee for the contractor to come... (read more)

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“only charge for what they provide you with”

6. 1

A 2-star review by 'Loopyloo' 9/9/2014

Branch:
    Campo House, 54 Campo Lane (South Hylton) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    Staff Member
    first name last name, first name last name
    SE2
    £650
    Would you use the agent again? No

first name last namefirst name last name

I felt i had to write a review regarding the professionalism of this branch of Martin & Co, We had put the management of our apartment in the hands of Martin & Co back in February 2014 we have had to chase all but 2 rent payments, they never call you back, if you do get hold of them they say it will be in your account in a couple of days i am getting constantly frustrated

“To be honest”

7. 1

A 1-star review by 'taz' 5/9/2014

Branch:
    51 Middlewood Road (Hillsborough) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    , receptionist Sheffield
    s9

receptionist Sheffield

communication with this office was unprofessional and rude. With the manageress being snappy when you asked questions she could not answer, and when i rang back to complain about her attitude, the receptionist was laughing on the phone saying ''This woman wants to complain about how you spoke to her'' These people do not know how to speak to or how to treat their customers

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Nothing the agent said would allow me to recommend middlewood road office. Would strongly recommend using another office. I rang the campo lane office who where excellent in their communication skills and very professional in their behaviour”

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'Susiemeasures' 31/8/2014

Branch:
    18 Market Place (Grantham) (Lincolnshire)
    No postcode selected.
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I retired and moved abroad last September and decided to rent out my house leaving it in the hands of Martins Lettings. What a bad move that turned out to be, they were careless, rude, sarcastic, unhelpful, and in the end I decided it would be easier to sell it. I can be specific if required I'm not sure how many words I can type. They have just sold my house in April, and even though I was not involved in a chain and the buyer had a mortgage in place it has only just completed on 12th August. It's been a nightmare from start to finish, rent not arriving at my bank, fees being charged wrongly, repairs being left for weeks (tile off roof) I feel if I had left my house with anyone else I would have continued to rent it out and leave my investment in the UK, but as it is I've jumped ship and sold it. It has cost me thousands.

9. 2

A 1-star review by 'Eleanor Mace' 31/8/2014

Branch:
    8 Bridge Street (Northampton) (Northamptonshire)
    northampton northampton, northampton northampton
    NN5
    £595

northampton northamptonnorthampton northampton

I had to write one last review about this Company and now as an ex-tenant. Please do not believe anything they say. We were promised a very long let on a property. After a year we had notice - the owner wanted it back. (Not all Martin's fault I suppose). After another 3 months the property is up for rent again - the owner doesn't need it. How stupid is that and what an upheaval it was for us and rather costly as well. Martin's should have checked this was really a long term let in the first place. This is just a warning for any prospective customers.

“TOO EXPENSIVE.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Make sure they have all their facts right.”

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'Miss' 31/8/2014

No branch selected
    gu21
    £925
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This agent was late on several occasions and tried have charged me for a check out they have not done. They have also claimed for 5 days of rent when they are only owed 3. However when I originally queried these 3 days I was told I would not have to pay. This company has defrauded the Council and now I have to take them to a small claims court. Absolutely disgusting behaviour, awful communication and very RUDE staff members.

“Not commited fraud”

1. A 5-star review by 'The Watkins' 26/8/2014

Sales (as a Vendor)
    GU12
    Sold Price
    £177500
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I am absolutely delighted with the service I received from Martin & co Aldershot. They were absolutely superb. Their attention to detail and efficiency is second to none. They replied promptly to all emails and exerted themselves hugely on my behalf. I would thoroughly recommend using them for a house sale and purchase.

Comments on the Agents fees

“VERY PLEASED AT THE GOOD, REASONABLE RATE.”

2. A 5-star review by 'The Watkins' 26/8/2014

Sales (as a Vendor)
    , ALDERSHOT ALDERSHOT
    GU12
    Sold Price
    £177500

ALDERSHOT ALDERSHOT

Comments on the Agents fees

“VERY PLEASED AT THE GOOD, REASONABLE RATE.”

3. 2

A 1-star review by 'SayNoToMartinAndCo' 22/8/2014

Branch:
    23 Watling Street (Canterbury) (Kent)
    Cornelia Wilson, Laura Anthony
    CT1
    £2400

Cornelia WilsonLaura Anthony

This agency is abusive in its practices. We rented a house from them, a lovely house, and right off at the beginning, something felt odd. They asked for too much information, the process of signing the contract took weeks, they refused to accept papers from the University that are meant to be delivered digitally and instead accepted copies that had in big chunky letters saying they were not valid. But because the house was really nice, we decided to keep giving them the information and we finally managed to sign for the house.

It started with the apparent state of the house and the real... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE HOUSE WAS MADE TO LOOK LIKE IT WAS WORTH THE FEES CHARGED BUT IT HAD MANY STRUCTURAL PROBLEMS. THE ADMINISTRATION FEES ARE ALSO ABYSMAL FOR THE AREA. WE CHANGED OUR LETTINGS AGENCY THIS YEAR AND EVERYTHING WAS NOT ONLY CHEAPER BUT ALSO A LOT FASTER.”

4. 1

A 1-star review by 'cerisec123' 20/8/2014

Branch:
    38 High Street (Banbury) (Oxfordshire)
    Joe
    No postcode selected.

Joe

Avoid at all costs.
    We rented through Martin and Co as we were trying to cut costs and Hamptons was expensive. We had been with hamptons for 3 years before we actually moved into our house but Martin and Co can off cheaper and now we know why?
    "*"

They never took a proper inventory when the tennant moved in which looking at other reviews on this website is a common occurance with this branch.

The tennant had a dog with out permission which caused damage by chewing and digging, they never cleaned the house. The house was never properly inspected if it had these issues... (read more)

5. 2

A 1-star review by 'ti' 20/8/2014

Branch:
    33 Liverpool Road (Manchester) (Greater Manchester)
    m5
    £700
    Upload a reviwer profile image

shocking, terrible, rude, incompetant, disrespectful. use all of those words to describe these guys.

the inventory was made up. items on there that were not in the flat. Or just straight lies about the condition of items. we could not eat at our dinner table for 4 months as all the chairs were broken. they ignored our emails, didnt send anyone around to fix anything. they said the flat had a hoover with it before we signed for it, when we moved in the hoover was on the inventory but not there. they never replaced it. I am merely scratching the surface of the issues they didnt fix or took 4 months to get done.

They only started doing things once i stopped paying rent after 4 months. even then it was only half done and at the time of writing at least 4 things still need doing 5 months into our tenancy (6 month tenancy).

To top it off, they then started showing people around our flat when we said we want to renew. They havnt contacted us to say we can renew just started bringing people to the flat.

You can not make up how bad these guys are, AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEY DO NOTHING TO DESERVE THE FEE”

6. A 4-star review by 'Michael Treip' 20/8/2014

Branch:
    West View Court 39-41 Belvedere Road (Crystal Palace) (London) (Greater London)
    James Gough
    SE23
    £1050

James Gough

James and his team were extremely efficient and found us tenants within a few days of completing the purchase of our property - they also handled the sale. The commission that we agreed with them was very reasonable and they have been obliging and efficient in organising with the administrative side of things - e.g. inventories, gas checks, references and so on. They have been pleasant and professional throughout our dealign with them and we would definitely recommend them as a letting agent.

7. A 1-star review by 'Majid' 15/8/2014

RG21
    £1050
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Very rude staff, not helpful at all.

They have resulted a lot of stress for us during the last few months,

We do not suggest them to anyone!

8. A 1-star review by 'Anonymous' 15/8/2014

Branch:
    Campo House, 54 Campo Lane (South Hylton) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    S3
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Know one is willing to take responsibility for my dispute - there seems to be a clear lack of communication and organisation in the branch!

Comments on the Agents fees

“I DON\'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR?!?!?!”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Absolute joke when trying to discuss an inexplicable charge on my deposit. Rang up 5 days in a row and the \'person who deals with deposits\' was always either out of office or on the other line. It was a simple task of looking up what they have charged me for and the dispute can be resolved. Shocking customer service and organisations skills!!! Think twice before going with these.......”

9. A 1-star review by 'Oliver' 14/8/2014

Branch:
    Otter House 20 Otter Lane (Loughborough) (Leicestershire)
    LE

The worst agents !!
    All they want is your money, once you sign up they don't care about your problems. Please stay away ATLEAST from this branch in particular. Not sure as I havent tried other branches

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  10. View All Comments (1)by MitulGadhia  25/09/2014

Dear Oliver, I am sorry you feel you have had to write about our Loughborough branch. I can't seem to find an 'Oliver' as a tenant on any of our properties. Are you sure you have the correct branch? Please could you contact me on 01509 323 324 or loughborough@martinco.com to discuss as we would like an opportunity to put any dissatisfaction right as we want to ensure all of our customers are 100% satisfied. Many thanks, Mitul Gadhia Director Martin & Co (Loughborough)
  11. A 1-star review by 'Tom' 13/8/2014

Branch:
    123 Rosemount Place (Rosemount) (Aberdeen) (Aberdeen City)
    ab10
    Upload a reviwer profile image

SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY, DON'T USE THEIR SERVICE!!! If you rent from this agency you will get flat untidy and with damage done by previous tenants then they will try to make you pay from your deposit for stuff which you never seen in that flat and even if you leave property spotless they still gonna charge you for cleaning.
    SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY, DON'T USE THEIR SERVICE!!!