...left to get your reviews in for the 2015 Estate & Letting Agent Awards

FREE Valuation

Martin & Co

Agent rating: 2.3 out of 5.0 based on 623 ratings. This website contains 618 user reviews of Martin & Co.

• Martin & Co has not joined our 'Transparent Agent' Scheme yet.

• "If only I had known about this site before..." is the most common comment we get posted from reviewers that have had a bad experience. So in response, allAgents has introduced the "transparent agent" scheme to help identify agents that are open about independent customer feedback and have nothing to hide. The scheme is FREE to join and as an incentive, allAgents will provide them with FREE LANDLORD & VENDOR ENQUIRES.

If however you do choose to use Martin & Co, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Get a valuation from one of our 'transparent agents'.
Learn More   Hide

Smartphone? Scan It!

google_qr

Print | Save

Review Widget

Embed the allAgents reviews widget on your site! Customize it easily and just paste the code!

* - works only for premium support branches
Ratings Widget

• 419 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Martin & Co is currently unavailable.

Page last updated on: 27-Aug-2015 09:26:47

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 21)

1. 3

Steve Murray
    NW1
    £1083
    Steve Murray

Steve played an integral part in my decision to rent the London property which I am currently residing in. His service is prompt and immaculate; he understands your needs and make the necessary recommendations. I wasn't in a privileged situation to be based in London when I placed my booking deposit nor have I viewed the property in person. Steve constantly kept in touch and made a number of international calls in between, even though we had an 8-hr time difference between us. He has also taken extra measures and proposed alternatives when I had issues with i-banking. Steve is a trusty proxy who made sure that everything is taken care of, before I arrived in London. He made a point to touch base and made recommendations on places to explore in the vicinity, so that you feel at home. Ace. Highly recommended agent, I say.

2. 4

James Rodriguez
    NW1
    £2500
    James Rodriguez

I asked James at Martin & Co to rent my property at Bayham Street, Camden. I am extremely busy with work and not nearby, so I needed the agent to just get on with it. They certainly did. They took the keys, photographed and marketed the property. Within a weekend they had had 3 offers and they vetted and advised the one that they felt would be most reliable. I have heard nothing more about it, they manage and sort everything, and the tenants seem very happy, having just sent a Xmas card! A great and efficient service, thank you

3. 4

James Rodriguez, David Rodriguez
    N1C
    £3500
    James RodriguezDavid Rodriguez

James has been really effective in the tenant search. He found for me an excellent tenant in no time. He showed during the process that he was a real patient pro, always available and finding proper solutions to the various, at times, contradicting demands of the landlord and the tenants.
    James made a few commitments to me for the flat rental management and has so far met all of them.
    In addition James is a very pleasant person to deal with and appears clearly as a trustworthy one.

Twitter  Facebook

4. A 5 -star review by ''

M5
    £795
    James Murphy

I made an appointment to see the property about 3 days before going to view, I was in a tricky situation as my lease at my then flat was due to end imminently. James turned up promptly to show me around the property. He gave me some information around the flat, he was very friendly, approachable and helpful.

I made it clear to James that I would need to move into the property within 3 days otherwise my current tenancy would end and I'd have nowhere to live. Although this was overly optimistic James did everything he could to help, he was very efficient and immediately sent me the details. He processes the references quickly whilst keeping up good communication which I found to be extremely comforting and reassuring. James ensured that the keys were ready as we needed them and accommodated the two tenants who couldn't be there at the same time on the day of signing the contract.

I'd like to thank James for the excellent service, he made what would have been an extremely stressful time, very calm and made our move successful. He is an asset to Martin & Co.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  5. A 5 -star review by ''

Branch:
    18 Church Street (Rugby) (Warwickshire)
    CV21
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Contacted the office to book an appointment, they didn't have any free times, but took my name and number.

Called me back later that day to let me know about a cancellation and got me around the property.

Viewing was very nice, low pressure (I was not hounded around the property) and although the property wasn't quite right for me. I would happily use Martin & Co again.

Comments on the Agents fees

“ALTHOUGH I DID NOT APPLY, THEIR FEES SEEMED VERY FAIR (AND MUCH LOWER) THAN A LOT OF OTHER AGENCIES.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  6. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    31 Woodins Way (Oxford) (Oxfordshire)
    Richard Goodwin
    OX11
    £1125
    Richard Goodwin

I have sent more than 30 emails to Martin & Co (Oxford) leasing co to address the failure of floor heating for 48 Empress Court, Woodins Way. Ox1 1HF. I received no actions and no replies. I walked to see them more than 6 times.

From 29 Jan 2015 to 1 June 2015, we reported the failure of essential service of the floor heating on 29 Jan to 15 April 2015. My son suffered in cold winter for more than 3 months. The room temperature was continuously below -2 to 2 degree in month of Jan/ Feb 2015 and most of the nights were 0 deg C in March 2015.

The technician took a month to order and... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  7. A 5 -star review by ''

Branch:
    16 London Street (Basingstoke) (Hampshire)
    Sales (as a Vendor)
    RG24
    Sold Price
    £365000
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

We have been leasing the property through Martin & Co since we moved out to Australia over 7yrs ago when Paul and Viv Jenner first started the Martin & Co business in the Basingstoke area. During this period Paul, Viv and the team have been so professional, providing us with total peace of mind. Being On the other side of the world, it was very important we had good agents managing our property that we could trust implicitly and were very quick to respond to any situation that arose with the property or with the tenants so we were very privileged indeed to have come across and have... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“FEES WERE LOWER THAN EXPECTED AND EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  8. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    Albany Road (Cardiff) (Cardiff County)
    Sales (as a Buyer)
    Mike Shrubshall, Christine Hitchins
    CF11
    Mike ShrubshallChristine Hitchins

Mike Shrubshall was unprofessional, in efficient and unpleasant. He cancelled appointments at very short notice by means of terse texts. He lied about having keys in the office. He failed to report faults to the owners. On one occasion he was very late for a replacement appointment and didn't even apologise.
    Do not use this agency.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  9. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    20 Worcester Street (Gloucester) (Gloucestershire)
    Charline Green
    GL2
    £625
    Charline Green

Absolutely awful letting agency. They will take as much of your deposit as possible for the slightest reasons, I was left without hot water or heating for almost a week in the middle of winter and offered no alternative or compensation. Rude staff and awfully unorganised

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXTORTIONATE FEES, DON'T EXPECT YOUR DEPOSIT BACK.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Extortionate fees, don't expect your deposit back.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  10. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    57 Friar Lane (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    ng1
    Would you use the agent again? No

Quite possibly the worst agents we have ever been with! Tried to retain deposit for absolutely nothing and were rude, nasty and obstructive during our time trying to have our deposit returned. Returned about a quarter of it after some chasing, and we had to go through the ombudsman in order to have the remainder returned which took over 6 months. How they are still in business is amazing, but put us off renting altogether.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  11. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    18 High Street (Coalville) (Leicestershire)
    LE10
    £550
    Would you use the agent again? No

I noticed a property for rent on their website and so enquired about making a viewing. The staff were very friendly on the telephone and efficient in dealing with my enquiries. I was told I could view the property at 4.30pm on the following day, which required me to leave work early; however I was happy to do so. Upon arriving to the property, admiringly I was 3 minutes late for my appointment due to traffic however I deem this acceptable, nobody was there to meet me. I made the assumption that they too had been held up with traffic so I proceeded to wait. After 15 minutes I decided to... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  12. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    Campo House, 54 Campo Lane (South Hylton) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    S3
    £525
    Would you use the agent again? No

My partner and I have been tenants in a flat managed by Martin & Co for the past year and overall have been very unimpressed. We signed for the flat on the condition that the bathroom was repainted, they said this was fine and I arranged a date a few weeks ahead to get the keys. I was moving from West Sussex so on the day I had to take a day off work (as they refused to do a Saturday check-in) and travel across the country to get to Sheffield. About half an hour before my appointment my partner received a voicemail cancelling (even though they knew it was me who was coming to collect... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  13. A 2 -star review by ''

Branch:
    173 Victoria Road (Aldershot) (Hampshire)
    gu12
    £850
    Would you use the agent again? No

The move in process with this agents was very smooth and possibly the only positive experience renting with them.

I have had maintenance issues outstanding, repeatedly being told that the contractor is very busy. This is of course acceptable however, if you ask for 'leeway', this is not returned.

Most dealings with the agent contains 'computer says no' responses. Very unfeeling, little understanding, and do very little to represent a tenant. Most communications contain 'get one over' responses, or veiled threats of being served notice.

Ultimately, as is very common in this industry, they do very little to represent a tenants' interests.

Have ran 2 estate agents in central London the whole experience has been very disappointing.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“They just need to be a little more accommodating and understanding, instead of being preoccupied with being 'right'!”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  14. How much is my property worth?

FREE valuation
  15. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    137 High Street (Staines) (Surrey)
    M G
    TW14
    £900
    M G

These estate agents on the face of it will come across as being nice and effective especially if you are intending to move into a property managed by them but when it's time to move out they will frustrate the life out of you. Please review their contract documents thoroughly before you put pen to paper as the conditions in there are generally horrible. They only care about themselves and will fight tooth and nail not to return your full deposit even when you leave the property in top condition (as you met it). If your are considering working with these people make sure you thoroughly go... (read more)

16. 2

Branch:
    The Sorting House Clifton Road (Littlehampton) (West Sussex)
    Relocation agent
    David , Lisa
    BN12
    Sold Price
    £1000000
    David Lisa

I would advise anyone not to deal with these estate crooks, they will take very little money from you and promises you nothing inreturn my advise is do to some other agents but not Dave of Martins Littlehampton and btw, they have moved around the corner same town but still very bad services . We rented from Martins agents Littlehampton and it was nothing but terrible they never call you back and made a invalid contract which was a trap to collect extra money after you leave as we were told by David of martins & co it's a 6 month contract when they really made a 12 month and have taken extra money from us the management are all crooks don't trust them

17. View All Comments (1)by Dave  05/08/2015

I don't know who this person is but the complaint seems to be that we set up a 12 month tenancy when the tenant wanted a 6 month tenancy (according to this review). However, we always ask tenants to sign our Terms of Business which does state the term; in this case 12 months. We also drew up a tenancy agreement (TA) in line with the terms of business (12 months). This is given to the tenant for their review before they come to pick up the keys. They are not forced to sign the TA. I fail to see therefore that this compliant has any substance.
  18. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    105 New Union Street (Coventry) (West Midlands)
    Liz Johnson
    CV3
    £795
    Liz Johnson

Terrible company, nothing but lies from them. They have with held rent, took over �650 from a bond which was owed to me for 3 months rent which wasn't paid and a further �1300 worth of damage to my property for a so called cancellation fee. Took them over three months just to pay a small amount.
    Rented my property out without doing proper checks as the tenants were already in debt from their previous landlord. Also left property empty for 2 months without even knowing them self's that it was empty. They promised me no fee's on the next tenants because of that then denied any knowledge of it.
    Terrible company would recommend not going near this company with a barge pole.

Comments on the Agents fees

“TOOK FEE'S WHICH THEY SHOULDN'T OF TOOK WHICH MY SOLICTOR IS NOW GOING TO DEAL WITH”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Took fee's which they shouldn't of took which my Solictor is now going to deal with”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  19. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    1 Adams House (Harlow) (Essex)
    Neil Manager
    cm20
    Neil Manager

After taking on our property's Martin & Co has done nothing to look after,,, or get the right tenants in to the property! And although getting in tenants that break their contract by abusing the property and moving in other people over crowding the room and house! Does nothing to assist in removing the tenant! Quoting: get yourself a lawyer to get them out,,, not our problem! Poor, rude wast of time and money! Avoid, Avoid, AVOID! Very sad! 😧

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  20. A 5 -star review by ''

James Murphy, Josh Seddon
    M35J
    £695
    James MurphyJosh Seddon

I moved with Martin & Co into my first apartment ever. I want to say that I was a bit nervous about the whole process, and fortunately people at Martin & Co had the patience and made everything as transparent and professional as possible. I am so happy, honestly, that I dealt with such quality people. I will use this agency in the near future, to renew my contract and possible for future lettings. Thank you, Martin & Co.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  21. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    217 Nantwich Road (Crewe) (Staffordshire)
    CW1
    Would you use the agent again? No

Disgusting experience....very bad and poor service. I view property in Crewe and was happy and paid application fees £250. Agent commit they will process our application and there should be no problem. After 3-4 days no any contact from Agent and after calling myself to them they replying ..no we cannot offer this property due landlord find someone...so why you process with us? and afterward...for refund of application fees i need to contact so many times to get back my money...so ridiculous.
    Furthermore, I book next property viewing and agent again commit and confirm time for viewing...and just before half an hour received call and again response landlord find someone and we cant offer viewing ...so frustration...if you dont want to offer property then why you call us and arrange viewing every time ...nasty experience.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  22. A 2 -star review by ''

Branch:
    137 High Street (Staines) (Surrey)
    Tw14
    £900
    Would you use the agent again? No

They do not consider the needs of the tenant and only look out for themselves and the landlord. Not very flexible or informative. I would not recommend them as they are quite unpleasant. My issue with them is how the proceed with issues relating to the property and when we moved out. They were not helpful or supportive. The only time they act accordingly is when money is involved. I felt used and not valued at all as a customer or tenant.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  23. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    4A Market Street (Mansfield) (Nottinghamshire)
    Jack , Vicky
    Ng19
    Jack Vicky

Hi me and my partner went to martin and co in Mansfield , we paid a 250 fee .we liked a property and went through checks everything come back clear , but a few days later mine come back with a ccj which was a credit card I had years ago which I pay every week on it I explained this to them but they still wasn't help full , they said the landlord didn't want bad credit to his house which I understand , but they never rang back and tried to help us out with another property it's disgusting really because we both work full time I work for nhs and partner works for seven Trent and we both been renting same property for 8 years so you would think this count for something . One bad mistake makes us out to be bad people it's wrong I wouldnt recommend there service to anyone very poor .

24. 2

Branch:
    32 Chalmers Street (Dunfermline) (Fife)
    KY12
    Would you use the agent again? No

Went into their office to arrange view for a property, when I mentioned that my company will pay for the rent, they said it's against the law to run business from the rental property. I asked: what law is actually say that? The answer was: OUR RENTAL AGREEMENT. I asked to see their rental agreement, they denied. Instead they asked me to leave by shouting

25. 2

Branch:
    63 High Street (Witney) (Oxfordshire)
    OX28
    £750
    Would you use the agent again? No

Extremely rude and dismissive staff who will "sigh" at you over the phone and repeatedly demand information they have already receieved from you. Will send out salespeople to viewings that have very little knowledge about lettings and will not be able to answer your questions, or tell you only the most obvious things in an attempt to make themselves sound knowledgeable. Having encountered experiences that left a sour taste in my mouth multiple times with both the Reading and Witney branches, I will not be using Martin & Co. personally and will be sure to spread the word to friends and family.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  26. How much is my property worth?

27. 2

A 2 -star review by ''

M4
    £950
    Would you use the agent again? No

We have been renting with Martin and Co for 10 months. The paperwork for moving in and later extending the contract was fine, although upon moving in the flat was filthy and definitely not professionally cleaned.

However, what really bothers me is that they do not provide a specific time or day when they will be entering the property. For example, twice we have received a letter informing us of the date of an upcoming inspection but were not given a time or even a reasonable time window.

Recently, they have contacted us to inform us that they will be cleaning the balcony. Again, we were... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  28. A 4 -star review by ''

M35
    £700
    James Murphy

James was a kind agent. Even though we had to sort out the issue with UK guarantor, he waited for us to sort the things out.

29. 1

Branch:
    Campo House, 54 Campo Lane (South Hylton) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    Harriet
    S1
    Harriet

Awful company, wouldn't advise any students to use them. Didn't tell us the correct information when viewing the house and due to this we no longer have anywhere to live for September. When showing people around the house they should tell you everything you need to pay etc not expecting that we should already know and then when you call the office the advisor we spoke to (the same person who showed us the house) acted like we should have already knew when she clearly didn't tell us. once again wouldn't advise any students to use this company.

30. 1

Branch:
    38 High Street (Banbury) (Oxfordshire)
    Nicola
    OX16
    £750
    Nicola

Should have really realised that this was one to avoid when they charged a 'non refundable' �300 holding deposit, landlord didnt bother to fix anything on our inventory. Went downhill quickly when it took 4 months to fix our Boiler over the cold winter period and was made to feel like a fake as they didnt believe that we had the same error message even after their fixes. Was told at start that we could have rolling contract after 12 months, when we needed this we wernt allowed to do it, meaning we had to move out. before we knew we had to move we were offered to extend by 12 months but... (read more)

31. 1

Branch:
    84 Bury Old Road (Whitefield) (Manchester) (Greater Manchester)
    Dayna Hyman
    m7
    £1100
    Dayna Hyman

Were unwilling to confirm that I was a tenant at the property without me paying a staggering �35 reference fee. When questioned, they claimed the terms were 'put in front of you for you to sign'.

This may be true, and yet violates the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations Act 2008 by failing to draw sufficient attention to charges that may be levied in the future, and I shall be reporting them to The Property Ombudsman for their failure in procedure here.

The clause highlighted also stated

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEY WILL ATTEMPT TO SLAP YOUR TENANTS WITH GROSSLY BLOATED FEES AT EVERY TURN FOR EVERY LITTLE 'SERVICE' RENDERED NO MATTER HOW MINUTE. A £35 FEE TO GIVE A REFERENCE, A £50 FEE TO RENEW A TENANCY ETC. WHILST YOU AS A LANDLORD MAY NOT BE FINANCIALLY AFFECTED BY THESE, IT SPEAKS TO THEIR COMPANY ETHOS AND I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF THE SAME SITUATION OCCURRED IN YOUR OWN DEALINGS WITH THEM.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“They will attempt to slap your tenants with grossly bloated fees at every turn for every little 'service' rendered no matter how minute. A £35 fee to give a reference, a £50 fee to renew a tenancy etc. Whilst you as a landlord may not be financially affected by these, it speaks to their company ethos and I wouldn't be surprised if the same situation occurred in your own dealings with them.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  32. A 5 -star review by ''

david
    m3
    £695
    david

My experience with Martin & Co has been great. I'm really pleased with the way David helped me secure the apartment. Right from the start, during the property viewing I was given all the information that was required and tips on how to speed up the paperwork process. Furthermore, as I had problems in securing a guarantor and was worried the apartment would slip out of my hands leaving me to scramble around searching for an apartment in such a short time before work commenced, David from Martin & Co was very supportive and helpful in ensuring I got the apartment by offering me an alternative of a 6 month contract that could be extended. I am really grateful to the team and specially David for this. Many Thanks!
    property viewing - all info given
    paper work - fast efficient, supportive

33. 2

Branch:
    51 Middlewood Road (Hillsborough) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    Jennie
    S3
    £525
    Jennie

I booked a flat from Martin and Co, without actually viewing the flat, as was abroad and had to enter quickly to a new property for job purposes.

The photos of the flat where old (they showed the flat as brand new when it was completely destroyed by previous tenants).

The flat was dirty and I had to do a professional cleaning the very first day.

I had to do the inventory check in myself (they inventory check in was done probably once when the building was built and was never updated there after).

I had to go and pick up the keys myself as

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  34. A 5 -star review by ''

M3
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I moved into a brand new Vimto Gardens apartment. Since the property was not ready to view, they had showed me some floor plans and everything was spot on when i had moved in. Overall a great service.

35. 2

Branch:
    20 Worcester Street (Gloucester) (Gloucestershire)
    Kirsten Ingram
    GL2
    £550
    Kirsten Ingram

I found Martin & Co to charge horrendous renewal fees without informing tenants about such fees. The staff were very rude and lacked customer service skills. When I left the property I was renting through them, they tried every trick in the book to keep my deposit, from cobwebs in impossible to reach places, complaining about problems that were already present on moving into the property, dusty light cords, to complaining a leylandi tree was not exactly the same size as it was 2.5 years prior to moving in! Basically ridiculous reasons to withhold a tenants deposit or take more money from a tenant. I certainly wouldn't recommend them and would advise anyone considering renting a property through them to think again!

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  36. A 5 -star review by ''

M32
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Martin & Co Manchester Central have managed my rental property for over 3 years now. I am extremely satisfied with the level of service I receive and I would not hesitate to recommend them to others. The key things I have been most impressed with are, (a) Martin & Co always respond promptly to my email correspondence, (b) Martin & Co always process payments on schedule whilst providing a detailed statement of account, (c) Martin & Co deal with all maintenance issues in an efficient and transparent manner.