Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Martin & Co

Agent rating: 2.3 out of 5.0 based on 535 ratings. This website contains 530 user reviews of Martin & Co.

Offices / Branches

• 361 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Martin & Co is currently unavailable.

Martin & Co has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Martin & Co, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 18)

Page last updated on: 23-Nov-2014 11:07:44

1. A 5-star review by 'Liz Holt' 23/11/2014

M2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Very pleased with the service from Martin & Co. They were thorough, knew the market exactly and kept me fully informed. They had a good tenant for my property very quickly and coordinated the changeover perfectly. I really feel that they looked after both tenant and landlord interests faultlessly. I would recommend them to anyone and will certainly use Martin & Co again.

2. A 5-star review by 'Neil Lockwood' 22/11/2014

Branch:
    3-4 Keymer Road (Burgess Hill) (West Sussex)
    Jason Chandler, Alice Hollingum
    BN6
    £1300

Jason ChandlerAlice Hollingum

Thank you for the effort you put into the letting of my house. Your helpful response on the telephone and cheerfulness even when under pressure from other commitments was very much appreciated.
    I will certainly recommend you to any further customers.

3. A 1-star review by 'Do not bother' 22/11/2014

Branch:
    38 High Street (Banbury) (Oxfordshire)
    hayley , olivia
    ox16

hayley olivia

Absolutely avoid even if you are desperate!!!!
    From word go we had a lady called hayley show us around the house. She knew absolutely nothing about the house everything we asked she had no idea on!
    I applied for a property at Martin and Co and explain that a issue may come up on the credit reference, Olivia said not to worry because we can have a guarantor so the property would be secure. I then wait to hear from the reference company get informed that my partner had a CCj on his record for £56.00 we then get told there's nothing we can do we have lost the house not even a guarantor... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“AGENT FEES ARE DISGUSTING £300 WE PAID”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Not lie tell us correct information they should no. Not to be such money grabbers”

4. A 5-star review by 'david holt' 22/11/2014

Sales (as a Vendor)
    david
    m5
    Sold Price
    £149950

david

Brilliant!! I have sold my apartment through Martin & Co and was pleasantly surprised. Offering such competitive rates in what I see as a strong market in Manchester. David was in charge of the sale of my property and offered feedback regularly which was very re-assuring and helpful. Between the whole team at Martin & Co they made me feel welcomed by offering advice when asked for regarding my small investment portfolio of which is managed by Martin & Co. I would recommend this company to anybody looking for to buy sell or rent. Excellent.

5. A 4-star review by 'julie branch' 17/11/2014

e11
    £1600
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Company was very helpful in choosing the right tenants for us and explaining the contract in detail so each party is clear on where they stand. easy to deal with and pleasant staff.

6. A 4-star review by 'Simon Bentley' 14/11/2014

M15
    £695
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Tenant found very quickly, good service, professional, polite, helpful, a slight admin error on costing but rectified very quickly, thanks.

7. A 5-star review by 'Mrs Patel' 14/11/2014

Mike Molley, Ann Parrish
    E12
    £43005

Mike MolleyAnn Parrish

I had let my property through Martin & Co on full management.They dealt with all issues with the tenant professionally, and have a very friendly team who keep you informed.
    Their approach to dealing with landlords and tenants is way above your normal High St letting agents and they would be my first choice again for letting

Comments on the Agents fees

“COMPETITIVE LETTING FEES,WITH NO HIDDEN EXTRAS, ALSO DOES RENT GUARANTEE WHICH MOST AGENTS DNT DO”

8. A 5-star review by 'ArW805' 14/11/2014

Michael Molloy, Kerri Martin
    E2
    £1800

Michael MolloyKerri Martin

I'm a landlord letting the property through Martin & Co for over 2 years and everything was perfect so far, they handled all inquiries and doing their utmost to make sure all sides are happy. Payments are issued on time with a detailed recipet, I have nothing but good words so far to say about them. Thank you.

9. 2

A 1-star review by 'Edy' 6/11/2014

Branch:
    57 Friar Lane (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    , Aylesbury Aylesbury
    HP21

Aylesbury Aylesbury

Incompetent, unprofessional, rude, arrogant, useless...etc etc etc I cannot believe that an agent like this is still in business. We had to go to the deposit adjudicator to get our deposit back, and Martin and Co lied through their teeth about the state of the property and said that they had never received our check in report with our notes on it.
    Please Please be aware....they are not professional, better to stay on campus,,,,we are definitely not going anywhere near an agent for our final year at Uni.

A 1-star review by 'Oliver' 5/11/2014

No branch selected
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    CT19
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Would not recommend dealing with Martin & Co, they are very inconsistent and feel that it is acceptable to lie to their clients.

The staff are quite rude & unhelpful. Overall they don't have an ounce of care for their work and don't seem to care about providing quality of service.

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'Yi Cheng' 3/11/2014

Branch:
    67 Essex Road (Islington) (London) (Greater London)
    N5
    Upload a reviwer profile image

We are 3 Chinese students and rented a 2 bd flat from this company and paid the rent and deposit by Bankers Transfer. All transactions were through one of us only (Yi) so we assumed she would be the Lead Tenant. We were not given an inventory of the contents or condition of the flat until we left at the end of the tenancy. Soon after moving in, Adam started emailing Yi telling her he was bringing prospective 'buyers' round to view (usually at the week-end), fortunately, a friend told us he was in breach of the tenancy agreement so we were able to stop this infringement on our liberty. We... (read more)

2. 2

A 1-star review by 'AngryTenant1' 31/10/2014

Branch:
    30 Hospital Street (Nantwich) (Crewe) (Cheshire)
    saul
    CW5

saul

THE WORST customer service I have ever received!

During our time renting with Martin and Co we dealt with Saul, who from the word go was utterly terrible at his job and treating customers.

To start, he rushed us into paying a deposit on the property we viewed and then convinced my girlfriend (who did the initial signing for the property) that we had to take out their contents insurance.

It was not until I called Saul and asked him about this and told him I already had contents insurance with my provider and he rudely said that he had explained that to my girlfriend, which he did... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE RENT FEE WAS OK FOR THE PROPERTY BUT THE AGENCY FEES WERE TOO HIGH”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“- Stop lying - Take phone calls - Return missed calls and messages - Don\'t patronise people - Don\'t be two faced and try be best mates when something is in your favour - Go out of your way to help tenants and provide good customer service”

3. A 1-star review by 'Kamran' 31/10/2014

Branch:
    57 Friar Lane (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    NG8
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Terrible terrible terrible..... will never ever use them again. greedy agent & greedy landlords. Avoid them at all cost. They send me a bill for 160+vat for general cleaning when The only thing I forgot to clean is the spider-web on the ceiling when I asked for the breakdown of this bill they completely ignored me. I waited almost 2 months for my deposit I complained the rental deposit scheme and opened a dispute. Finally we came to an agreement and got my money back... what a rubbish estate agent.......

4. 5

A 1-star review by 'Sarah' 27/10/2014

Branch:
    Campo House, 54 Campo Lane (South Hylton) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    Shef
    £560
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Terrible customer service from the word go. From having to chase up the terms of contract from day one (we should've known from that point the service was going to be abysmal) to month three of still having a broken bed, broken dining chairs and a sink/bath that does not drain. We were left with a £100 fine as Martin and Co did not provide us with a parking permit - we are still to be reimbursed. To add to the problem, the office is only open from 9-5, so how they expect busy working people to chase up problems I have no idea.

Martin and Co are poor agents with low customer care. Their responses to emails are non-existent and problems take a minimum of two months to be resolved.

We feel utterly let down and I will ensure to never rent with Martin and Co again. I wonder whether they treat all their tenants this poorly?

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  5. View All Comments (1)by CM 2203  09/11/2014

Yes they do! Seems to be a common theme - liars cheats and thieves abound at many of their branches!
  6. 3

A 2-star review by 'Disgruntled' 24/10/2014

Branch:
    16 Bridge Street (Caversham) (Reading) (Berkshire)
    RG1
    £775
    Upload a reviwer profile image

They average three days to even acknowledge that a fault has been raised, let alone actually doing anything about them. I currently cannot have a shower or bath as the hot tap has stopped working. No response.
    My smoke alarm was faulty, going off at random times of the day and night. I was told it was the battery, despite it continuing to sound when I was holding the battery in question in my hand.
    The place is full of damp. A lightbulb exploded 45 minutes after being turned off and I was told that was normal too.
    The only reason I haven't moved out is that I can't afford to, basically.

7. 3

A 1-star review by 'ChrisM2203' 23/10/2014

Branch:
    31 Regent Grove (Leamington Spa) (Warwickshire)
    No postcode selected.
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Greedy deceptive and collusive with me and an equally greedy and deceptive landlord!

8. A 1-star review by 'cat' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    13-15 Upper Craigs (Stirling) (Stirlingshire)
    , Leslie Stirling
    FK8
    £475

Leslie Stirling

Absolutely awful. Avoid like the plague. No sense of professionalism or management about this branch whatsoever. Whenever you go in they are always sitting occupied with their faces glued to the computer screens with tea and biscuits in the other hand however they are always unable to take you calls.
    Most unhelpful experience ever, no inventory, given keys when previous tenants had moved out the property. "Property manager" non existent despite a new member of staff. Extremely rude. Tried to explain a fault within the boiler system as I'm the one facing the problem daily, to be told I'm wrong despite an electrician stating the same fact.
    If this is the number one letting agent in the UK then oh my god. They are all a bunch of desk monkeys and have absolutely no commitment to their job. They are fast enough to take money off of you but if you have a problem with something else regarding your property, you're better off talking to a brick wall. Shocking.

“ONE WORD: HORRIFIC.”

9. 4

A 1-star review by 'Leighanne' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    217 Nantwich Road (Crewe) (Staffordshire)
    wn1
    £450
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Rubbish was looking for a house to rent found one put some money down to secure the house then got telled someone else was having that house then I was going to view another house got tell the day I was support to see it someone else has got it rubbish not very helpful and poor service will not be using them again

A 1-star review by 'Absolute rubbish' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    4 Grove Road South (Southsea) (Portsmouth) (Hampshire)
    Joleen Moret
    PO1
    £675

Joleen Moret

Absolutely terrible dealings with Martin and Co we had a number of complaints which were only dealt with when we refused to resign the contract before then we were completely ignored and they claimed we had never mentioned anything. Nearer the end of our tenancy we felt rather victimised with any disturbances or problems in the block blamed on us without any proof (none of which were to do with us). Disgusting service in my opinion

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Not victimised us and fixed problems when requested”

11. A 5-star review by 'John' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    16 London Street (Basingstoke) (Hampshire)
    Viv Jenner, Rebecca Chivers
    RG24
    £1150

Viv JennerRebecca Chivers

I moved abroad (Australia) back in August 2008 and we were worried about which letting agency we would use for managing our house. As soon as we met with Viv from Martin & Co my wife and I knew we had found the right company to look after our property.

Martin & Co have been nothing but seasoned professionals when it comes to managing our propert from the financial side to the maintenance, they have been excellent with each tenant and we have built up a solid working relationship with the branch staff.

Living on the otherside of the world, we can communicate via email and everything is acted on before we wake up the next day. We could not be happier and would highly recommend Martin & Co in Basingstoke to anyone looking for a very professional letting agency in the Hampshire area.

Comments on the Agents fees

“FROM A MARKET PERSPECTIVE WE RECIEVED THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE RENT IN THE AREA WITHOUT ANY MONTHS WITH THE HOUSE SITTING EMPTY. WE HAVE HAD SEVERAL TENANTS OVER THE PAST 6 YEARS AND WE HAVE NEVER HAD THE PROPERTY EMPTY SINCE HANDING THIS TO MARTIN & CO TO MANAGE WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT.”

1. 1

A 2-star review by 'Lots of love' 15/10/2014

Branch:
    21 Whitley Street (Reading) (Berkshire)
    Surveys
    RG2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

My experience with Martin & Co was so bad! There are such unprofessional people working in that office. Words cannot explain how aggressive and arrogant the boys are. Especially the 'boss'. He practically shouts at people and has no respect for any of his tenants. In my opinion, someone else needs to take over that primary school like company and get him and his snobby colleagues/puppets out of there. I'd recommend the Caversham branch all day everyday!

2. 2

A 1-star review by 'DS' 13/10/2014

Branch:
    162 Narborough Road (Leicester) (Leicestershire)
    LE2
    £575
    Upload a reviwer profile image

After being told my full circumstances they are happy to take your money for referencing and then claim the landlord has turned down a payment of six months rent in advance and a guarantor as I am not working due to ill health. The reason given is not my health but the landlord insurance to protect non payment, I offered full payment in advance.

Sadly they are a franchise company whose management are very poor and staff training is non existent, abusive, liars and incompetent.

PLEASE AVOID

Comments on the Agents fees

“CHARGED FULL FEES FOR A SERVICE THAT WAS NOT PROVIDED DUE TO THEIR OWN INCOMPETENCE”

3. A 5-star review by 'ToriaF' 9/10/2014

Branch:
    173 Victoria Road (Aldershot) (Hampshire)
    Linda Gunner, james wiggins
    7 Bi
    £675

Linda Gunnerjames wiggins

We have used Martin and Co to let our property on a couple of occasions now and we've been absolutely delighted with the service we've received from them at all times. We initially went with Martin and Co via a recommendation from a family friend and its turned out to be a great decision. All of the staff we've dealt with, whether its been Brad, Linda, James or Richard are always extremely friendly and helpful, and they're always willing to answer any queries we have. The staff have excellent knowledge of the market in the local area, and they're also highly efficient in their jobs. I would highly recommend them to my friends and family and we won't hesitate to use them again above any other local agent.

4. 2

A 1-star review by 'WhatGoesAround' 8/10/2014

Branch:
    15 Duke Street (Chelmsford) (Essex)
    CM2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Martin & Co Chelmsford are quite frankly the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I can safely advise anyone who is looking to buy/rent a new property to avoid them at all costs. Even if my dream property became available through Martin & Co, I would avoid them like the plague. They are horrendous in every aspect of their business and charge extortionate rates for a pitiful service.

From the very first communication to the last, they have proved themselves to be a total shambles time and time again. The “charges” they request are an outright robbery... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  5. View All Comments (1)by Emma Roberts  09/10/2014

I'm very sorry that you feel that the service you received has not met your expectations. As this complaint is anonymous, I am unable to investigate further at this point. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your concerns, if you would like to get in touch with me directly, I will happily look into your file. My direct e-mail address is emma.roberts@martinco.com. Emma Roberts Branch Manager
  6. A 5-star review by 'Emma White' 5/10/2014

Branch:
    16 London Street (Basingstoke) (Hampshire)
    rg21
    £500
    Upload a reviwer profile image

First time living on my own and renting. Staff could not have been more helpful. They had a solution for every problem I had and made me feel at ease with the whole process. Would recommend them,

7. A 5-star review by 'P.S.' 2/10/2014

Branch:
    5 Raglan Street (Harrogate) (North Yorkshire)
    Susanne Price
    HG1
    £795

Susanne Price

I first encountered Martin & Co in Harrogate whilst searching for a suitable property as an investment & for buy-to-let, and was very impressed indeed with them.
    They were generous with useful advice as to how to proceed with finding a property, even being willing to give their opinions on the suitability of various properties which I was considering. Their suggestions were invaluable to me in the final selection of the property which I bought.
    From the moment the sale was completed, they were efficient and professional in all the many areas which need to be covered in letting a... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“REASONABLE & VALUE FOR MONEY.”

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'Humunculos' 25/9/2014

Branch:
    162 Narborough Road (Leicester) (Leicestershire)
    LE2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Worst real estate agents I have ever dealt with. They are rude, unprofessional and ignore their own legally binding paper work. They should be shut down as they do not do their jobs properly. They messed me around with my rent, refused to give my deposit back 4 months after they had said they would and when I called after 2pm (they refused to deal with me before this time) they told me it was 2:10 and they would call after 2. Disgusting, unprofessional and there are far better real estate agents to use! Disgusting!

9. 1

A 1-star review by 'Neil' 18/9/2014

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    WV11
    £550
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I have used Martin & Co for the last 3 years and in this time I have had consistent battles with them just to complete simple tasks. Firstly, one thing they have done well is rent collection. My rent has been paid into my account more or less on time each month, that is where the positives stop.

Any time any maintenance work is required it is never managed correctly or in a timely manner. I pay them a percentage of my rental income each month and always feel like I need to manage them to manage my property which surely defeats the object. I have received reports from the tenants that... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE FEES ARE NOT UNREASONABLE IF THE SERVICE YOU ARE RECEIVING IS POSITIVE. SADLY, I PAY MARTIN & CO EACH MONTH AND GET NOTHING POSITIVE IN RETURN.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“I have given Martin & Co several opportunities to change my mind. There have now been too many instances of being let down (I can\'t remember a positive experience when having to deal with them).”

A 1-star review by 'Unhappy_tenant' 16/9/2014

Branch:
    191 Mill Road (Cambridge) (Cambridgeshire)
    cb4
    £1000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Absolutely disgraceful service. I would recommend that people stay away from this agency. They charge ridiculous fees (much more than other agents around), do not answer phones or reply to answer messages, they take weeks to reply to emails. They tell you things by word of mouth, but fail to mention that for it to stand, they need it in writing. They don't turn up to do inspections or viewings when they say they will. And they came round to the flat I am renting today and didn't even lock the door behind themselves! Absolutely disgusting customer service. I'm not surprised they have a high staff turnover!

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Make fees cheaper, actually call people back, give a better service as we have paid them!”

11. A 1-star review by 'Sue Mortimer' 14/9/2014

Branch:
    29 High Street (High Wycombe) (Buckinghamshire)
    HP13
    £925
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I recently used Martin & Co to find a tenant for a recently purchased flat. The first meet went well but from then on communications were difficult. I had to chase constantly, either by phone or email and felt that I was leading the whole process, which for a first-time landlady is not what I wanted. After the initial meet, I went into the office to hand over keys and was given such a hard sell to try to get me to upgrade to full management option which was appalling. I got the distinct impression that they did not know what they were doing regarding paperwork. I could have done the majority of the work without them. The only good comment I can make is the tenants seem very good.

I would not recommend using these agents.

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT THEY DID.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“By being supportive to a first-time landlady and certainly communicate more efficiently.”