Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Martin & Co

Agent rating: 2.3 out of 5.0 based on 508 ratings. This website contains 503 user reviews of Martin & Co.

Offices / Branches

• 345 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Martin & Co is currently unavailable.

Martin & Co has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Martin & Co, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 17)

Page last updated on: 18-Sep-2014 17:01:01

1. A 1-star review by 'Neil' 18/9/2014

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    WV11
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I have used Martin & Co for the last 3 years and in this time I have had consistent battles with them just to complete simple tasks. Firstly, one thing they have done well is rent collection. My rent has been paid into my account more or less on time each month, that is where the positives stop.

Any time any maintenance work is required it is never managed correctly or in a timely manner. I pay them a percentage of my rental income each month and always feel like I need to manage them to manage my property which surely defeats the object. I have received reports from the tenants that... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE FEES ARE NOT UNREASONABLE IF THE SERVICE YOU ARE RECEIVING IS POSITIVE. SADLY, I PAY MARTIN & CO EACH MONTH AND GET NOTHING POSITIVE IN RETURN.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“I have given Martin & Co several opportunities to change my mind. There have now been too many instances of being let down (I can\'t remember a positive experience when having to deal with them).”

2. A 1-star review by 'Unhappy_tenant' 16/9/2014

Branch:
    191 Mill Road (Cambridge) (Cambridgeshire)
    cb4
    £1000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Absolutely disgraceful service. I would recommend that people stay away from this agency. They charge ridiculous fees (much more than other agents around), do not answer phones or reply to answer messages, they take weeks to reply to emails. They tell you things by word of mouth, but fail to mention that for it to stand, they need it in writing. They don't turn up to do inspections or viewings when they say they will. And they came round to the flat I am renting today and didn't even lock the door behind themselves! Absolutely disgusting customer service. I'm not surprised they have a high staff turnover!

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Make fees cheaper, actually call people back, give a better service as we have paid them!”

3. A 1-star review by 'Sue Mortimer' 14/9/2014

Branch:
    29 High Street (High Wycombe) (Buckinghamshire)
    HP13
    £925
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I recently used Martin & Co to find a tenant for a recently purchased flat. The first meet went well but from then on communications were difficult. I had to chase constantly, either by phone or email and felt that I was leading the whole process, which for a first-time landlady is not what I wanted. After the initial meet, I went into the office to hand over keys and was given such a hard sell to try to get me to upgrade to full management option which was appalling. I got the distinct impression that they did not know what they were doing regarding paperwork. I could have done the majority of the work without them. The only good comment I can make is the tenants seem very good.

I would not recommend using these agents.

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT THEY DID.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“By being supportive to a first-time landlady and certainly communicate more efficiently.”

4. 3

A 1-star review by 'rtdon13' 11/9/2014

Branch:
    8 Bridge Street (Northampton) (Northamptonshire)
    nn4
    Upload a reviwer profile image

martin and co seem to have a tendency to charge ridiculous fees to do virtually nothing. I was left in a mouldy, insecure house house with no heating or hot water for a year with a baby. The house then got broken into (admittedly not martins fault) however, they refused to repair the door that had been kicked in saying they didn't believe me that i had been burgled even though i provided them with a police crime reference number, thus leaving the house insecure. They also outright denied that the boiler had broken down and insisted on charging me £70 call out fee for the contractor to come... (read more)

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“only charge for what they provide you with”

5. 1

A 2-star review by 'Loopyloo' 9/9/2014

Branch:
    Campo House, 54 Campo Lane (South Hylton) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    Staff Member
    first name last name, first name last name
    SE2
    £650
    Would you use the agent again? No

first name last namefirst name last name

I felt i had to write a review regarding the professionalism of this branch of Martin & Co, We had put the management of our apartment in the hands of Martin & Co back in February 2014 we have had to chase all but 2 rent payments, they never call you back, if you do get hold of them they say it will be in your account in a couple of days i am getting constantly frustrated

“To be honest”

6. 1

A 1-star review by 'taz' 5/9/2014

Branch:
    51 Middlewood Road (Hillsborough) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    , receptionist Sheffield
    s9

receptionist Sheffield

communication with this office was unprofessional and rude. With the manageress being snappy when you asked questions she could not answer, and when i rang back to complain about her attitude, the receptionist was laughing on the phone saying ''This woman wants to complain about how you spoke to her'' These people do not know how to speak to or how to treat their customers

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Nothing the agent said would allow me to recommend middlewood road office. Would strongly recommend using another office. I rang the campo lane office who where excellent in their communication skills and very professional in their behaviour”

7. 1

A 1-star review by 'Susiemeasures' 31/8/2014

Branch:
    18 Market Place (Grantham) (Lincolnshire)
    No postcode selected.
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I retired and moved abroad last September and decided to rent out my house leaving it in the hands of Martins Lettings. What a bad move that turned out to be, they were careless, rude, sarcastic, unhelpful, and in the end I decided it would be easier to sell it. I can be specific if required I'm not sure how many words I can type. They have just sold my house in April, and even though I was not involved in a chain and the buyer had a mortgage in place it has only just completed on 12th August. It's been a nightmare from start to finish, rent not arriving at my bank, fees being charged wrongly, repairs being left for weeks (tile off roof) I feel if I had left my house with anyone else I would have continued to rent it out and leave my investment in the UK, but as it is I've jumped ship and sold it. It has cost me thousands.

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'Miss' 31/8/2014

No branch selected
    gu21
    £925
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This agent was late on several occasions and tried have charged me for a check out they have not done. They have also claimed for 5 days of rent when they are only owed 3. However when I originally queried these 3 days I was told I would not have to pay. This company has defrauded the Council and now I have to take them to a small claims court. Absolutely disgusting behaviour, awful communication and very RUDE staff members.

“Not commited fraud”

9. 2

A 1-star review by 'Eleanor Mace' 31/8/2014

Branch:
    8 Bridge Street (Northampton) (Northamptonshire)
    northampton northampton, northampton northampton
    NN5
    £595

northampton northamptonnorthampton northampton

I had to write one last review about this Company and now as an ex-tenant. Please do not believe anything they say. We were promised a very long let on a property. After a year we had notice - the owner wanted it back. (Not all Martin's fault I suppose). After another 3 months the property is up for rent again - the owner doesn't need it. How stupid is that and what an upheaval it was for us and rather costly as well. Martin's should have checked this was really a long term let in the first place. This is just a warning for any prospective customers.

“TOO EXPENSIVE.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Make sure they have all their facts right.”

10. A 5-star review by 'The Watkins' 26/8/2014

Branch:
    173 Victoria Road (Aldershot) (Hampshire)
    Sales (as a Vendor)
    , ALDERSHOT ALDERSHOT
    GU12
    Sold Price
    £177500

ALDERSHOT ALDERSHOT

I am absolutely delighted with the service I received from Martin & co Aldershot. They were absolutely superb. Their attention to detail and efficiency is second to none. They replied promptly to all emails and exerted themselves hugely on my behalf. I would thoroughly recommend using them for a house sale and purchase.

Comments on the Agents fees

“VERY PLEASED AT THE GOOD, REASONABLE RATE.”

1. A 5-star review by 'The Watkins' 26/8/2014

Branch:
    173 Victoria Road (Aldershot) (Hampshire)
    Sales (as a Vendor)
    GU12
    Sold Price
    £177500

Comments on the Agents fees

“VERY PLEASED AT THE GOOD, REASONABLE RATE.”

2. 2

A 1-star review by 'SayNoToMartinAndCo' 22/8/2014

Branch:
    23 Watling Street (Canterbury) (Kent)
    Cornelia Wilson, Laura Anthony
    CT1
    £2400

Cornelia WilsonLaura Anthony

This agency is abusive in its practices. We rented a house from them, a lovely house, and right off at the beginning, something felt odd. They asked for too much information, the process of signing the contract took weeks, they refused to accept papers from the University that are meant to be delivered digitally and instead accepted copies that had in big chunky letters saying they were not valid. But because the house was really nice, we decided to keep giving them the information and we finally managed to sign for the house.

It started with the apparent state of the house and the real... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE HOUSE WAS MADE TO LOOK LIKE IT WAS WORTH THE FEES CHARGED BUT IT HAD MANY STRUCTURAL PROBLEMS. THE ADMINISTRATION FEES ARE ALSO ABYSMAL FOR THE AREA. WE CHANGED OUR LETTINGS AGENCY THIS YEAR AND EVERYTHING WAS NOT ONLY CHEAPER BUT ALSO A LOT FASTER.”

3. 1

A 1-star review by 'cerisec123' 20/8/2014

Branch:
    38 High Street (Banbury) (Oxfordshire)
    Joe
    No postcode selected.

Joe

Avoid at all costs.
    We rented through Martin and Co as we were trying to cut costs and Hamptons was expensive. We had been with hamptons for 3 years before we actually moved into our house but Martin and Co can off cheaper and now we know why?
    "*"

They never took a proper inventory when the tennant moved in which looking at other reviews on this website is a common occurance with this branch.

The tennant had a dog with out permission which caused damage by chewing and digging, they never cleaned the house. The house was never properly inspected if it had these issues... (read more)

4. 1

A 1-star review by 'ti' 20/8/2014

Branch:
    33 Liverpool Road (Manchester) (Greater Manchester)
    m5
    £700
    Upload a reviwer profile image

shocking, terrible, rude, incompetant, disrespectful. use all of those words to describe these guys.

the inventory was made up. items on there that were not in the flat. Or just straight lies about the condition of items. we could not eat at our dinner table for 4 months as all the chairs were broken. they ignored our emails, didnt send anyone around to fix anything. they said the flat had a hoover with it before we signed for it, when we moved in the hoover was on the inventory but not there. they never replaced it. I am merely scratching the surface of the issues they didnt fix or took 4 months to get done.

They only started doing things once i stopped paying rent after 4 months. even then it was only half done and at the time of writing at least 4 things still need doing 5 months into our tenancy (6 month tenancy).

To top it off, they then started showing people around our flat when we said we want to renew. They havnt contacted us to say we can renew just started bringing people to the flat.

You can not make up how bad these guys are, AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEY DO NOTHING TO DESERVE THE FEE”

5. A 4-star review by 'Michael Treip' 20/8/2014

Branch:
    West View Court 39-41 Belvedere Road (Crystal Palace) (London) (Greater London)
    James Gough
    SE23
    £1050

James Gough

James and his team were extremely efficient and found us tenants within a few days of completing the purchase of our property - they also handled the sale. The commission that we agreed with them was very reasonable and they have been obliging and efficient in organising with the administrative side of things - e.g. inventories, gas checks, references and so on. They have been pleasant and professional throughout our dealign with them and we would definitely recommend them as a letting agent.

6. A 1-star review by 'Anonymous' 15/8/2014

Branch:
    Campo House, 54 Campo Lane (South Hylton) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    S3
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Know one is willing to take responsibility for my dispute - there seems to be a clear lack of communication and organisation in the branch!

Comments on the Agents fees

“I DON\'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR?!?!?!”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Absolute joke when trying to discuss an inexplicable charge on my deposit. Rang up 5 days in a row and the \'person who deals with deposits\' was always either out of office or on the other line. It was a simple task of looking up what they have charged me for and the dispute can be resolved. Shocking customer service and organisations skills!!! Think twice before going with these.......”

7. A 1-star review by 'Majid' 15/8/2014

RG21
    £1050
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Very rude staff, not helpful at all.

They have resulted a lot of stress for us during the last few months,

We do not suggest them to anyone!

8. A 1-star review by 'Oliver' 14/8/2014

Branch:
    Otter House 20 Otter Lane (Loughborough) (Leicestershire)
    LE

The worst agents !!
    All they want is your money, once you sign up they don't care about your problems. Please stay away ATLEAST from this branch in particular. Not sure as I havent tried other branches

9. A 1-star review by 'Tom' 13/8/2014

Branch:
    123 Rosemount Place (Rosemount) (Aberdeen) (Aberdeen City)
    ab10
    Upload a reviwer profile image

SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY, DON'T USE THEIR SERVICE!!! If you rent from this agency you will get flat untidy and with damage done by previous tenants then they will try to make you pay from your deposit for stuff which you never seen in that flat and even if you leave property spotless they still gonna charge you for cleaning.
    SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY, DON'T USE THEIR SERVICE!!!

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'Frustrated Tenant' 10/8/2014

Branch:
    57 Friar Lane (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    NG7
    £650
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Never go for this agent !!!...........misleading agency ........
    They dont take any action for emergency maintainace ......very rude behaviour.........inconsistent statement during check in and check out......do not treat the tenant as customer..........100% pro-landlord......dont give proper notice before vacating the property.......totally horrible...most unprofessional agent I ever saw......

1. 3

A 1-star review by 'melvinm' 9/8/2014

Branch:
    8-10 West St Helen Street (Abingdon) (Oxfordshire)
    OX14
    £775
    Upload a reviwer profile image

STAY AWAY FROM THE ABINGDON BRANCH OF MARTIN AND CO!
    Martin and co have the most unhelpful, rude and incompetent bunch of staff I have ever known! I would like to point out a few facts about the way they treated myself and my partner while we were tenants; we were left with no heating or hot water for 10 days, after a week someone came and dumped two fan heaters to our flat (one was faulty too) he came to the door with no apologies. Philip told me time after time that the heating had been fixed and it defiantly had not as the radiators were stone cold; when they finally sent a half decent... (read more)

2. A 5-star review by 'Hampshire landlords' 8/8/2014

Andrew Sheldon
    RG22

Andrew Sheldon

The service I've received as a landlord from Martin & Co has been excellent from advice on suitable properties in the area, getting the property ready to let and finding our first tenant. I would have no hesitation in recommending Martin & Co.

3. A 5-star review by 'Michael Haigh' 7/8/2014

Branch:
    5 Raglan Street (Harrogate) (North Yorkshire)
    Louise Anderson
    HG3

Louise Anderson

We feel that Martin and Co understood the fact that the Tenants were important - not just the Landlords - who were their actual clients.
    We felt that Louise had a sense of fairness - and respect for the tenants plus the ability to deal even-handedly between the Landlord and the Tenants.

4. A 1-star review by 'Rohab' 5/8/2014

Branch:
    60A Queens Road (Leicester) (Leicestershire)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Prakash parmar PRAKASH parmar
    LE1

Prakash parmar PRAKASH parmar

Me and my husband came from Birmingham via taxi paying 80 pounds for this viewing .Prakash was not helpful .wasnt flexible with timings of viewings when we called to say we were outside and on his phone he didn't pick up .Rude lady at reception .despite beings there on the time he proposed be WASNT there and the lady on the phone blamed us as we stood outside the building the quod in leicester city centre

5. 1

A 1-star review by 'Never again MARTIN & CO' 1/8/2014

Branch:
    23 Watling Street (Canterbury) (Kent)
    Laura Anthony, Cornelia Wilson
    CT1
    £675

Laura AnthonyCornelia Wilson

Our dealings with staff at this branch from start to finish of our tenancy have been terrible. Firstly, from missed appointments, to avoidance of managing the property, and trying to claim expenses for every little detail - it is no wonder that this agency's rank is so low. AVOID AT ALL COSTS - because they will invent costs at the drop of a hat!

“FROM THIN AIR!”

6. 1

A 1-star review by 'Stefan' 1/8/2014

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    first name last name
    wv14
    £600

first name last name

Arguably one of the most unprofessional company I have ever dealt with. I'm used to dealing with many companies and suppliers and I know how to deal with them, however it was like Martin and Co. went out their way to be the most uncooperative.

To start with they were what I would describe as normal. Collecting deposit (which they insisted was cash) and insisting that the only way to progress quickly was to get the cash flowing. Fair enough, that's business. The person showing me around was very helpful for the first hour, but once the money had hit his hand he immediately lost... (read more)

7. A 5-star review by 'JCH' 31/7/2014

Branch:
    31 Regent Grove (Leamington Spa) (Warwickshire)
    CV34
    £750
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Have used this branch on several occasions for over 5 years on a tenant find basis and always found them helpful and prompt, with reasonable fees.

They are not pushy and don't try and guess what you require or instigate actions without consent - as some agents in the area are are inclined to do. I have asked tenants what is their experience been with the Agents, as I am interested that they are also happy, they have also been content with the experience. It is clear from other reviews that standards throughout the Martin & Co network vary considerably, but I would be happy to recommend them. I am likely to try their managed service soon - if they can meet my requirements./

Comments on the Agents fees

“FEES ARE REASONABLE COMPARED TO OTHER AGENTS USED”

8. A 1-star review by 'Terrible' 29/7/2014

Branch:
    1 Cleveland Terrace (Bath) (Somerset)
    BA2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Same story as usual - a student letting, so they saw us coming and decided to rip us off.

Check-in was a cursory quick thing not noting the many damages, uncleaned state of property etc. Submitted our own check-in - M&Co accepted this but then didn't provide it at check-out. So check-out was done extremely rigorously noting all damages etc. that were already present at check-in. Got screwed over for deposit.

No prior warning when sending people round to view/fix things. Leaking roof never fixed during year long tenancy. Customer service awful.

Comments on the Agents fees

“PAID THEM FOR NOTHING. ON TOP OF AGENCY FEES ARE THEM TAKING MAJORITY OF DEPOSIT UNFAIRLY.”

9. A 1-star review by 'Robert clarke' 25/7/2014

Branch:
    23 Portsmouth Road (Southampton) (Hampshire)
    Faye Guppy
    So1
    £595

Faye Guppy

I have had dirty water a broken washing machine for about six months now and all they say is there get back to me all they are, are useless greedy and self-centred "*"

10. A 5-star review by 'Ally Mac' 25/7/2014

Property Management
    Rg2
    £875
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I currently let my property out through Martin and co and they deal with the management of it. They do an excellent job, I have regular feedback and a very happy tenant.

Comments on the Agents fees

“I HAVE NO COMMENTS ON THE FEES, I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE SERVICE.”