Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Martin & Co

Agent rating: 2.3 out of 5.0 based on 545 ratings. This website contains 540 user reviews of Martin & Co.

Offices / Branches

• 364 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Martin & Co is currently unavailable.

Martin & Co has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Martin & Co, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 19)

Page last updated on: 22-Dec-2014 12:49:37

1. A 5-star review by 'Birgit' 22/12/2014

Michael Molloy, Kerri Martin
    No postcode selected.

Michael MolloyKerri Martin

I recently had the pleasure to deal with the team at Martin&Co Wanstead in regards to letting a property. Michael, Richard, Ben and Kerri were most helpful, friendly and professional throughout. I wholeheartedly recommend their services.

2. A 1-star review by 'Laura' 18/12/2014

Branch:
    2 Middle Row (Ashford) (Kent)
    Lee Brown, Kevin Hall
    TN23
    £700

Lee BrownKevin Hall

We rented our property with Martin & Co after speaking with the manager Kevin. kevin assured us they did rigorous checks and would not allow just anyone to rent our property. We informed Kevin that part of the outshed and loft would have items stored in so would not be available. Kevin informed me the opposite and they used the space and emptied out our shed and tried to get us to pay for things to be removed. In the end we came to an agreement with them but Martin & Co did not handle the situation well. After a while we decided to sell the property. We decided to see with... (read more)

3. 2

A 5-star review by 'Naureen' 9/12/2014

James Rodriguez
    NW1
    £2500

James Rodriguez

I asked James at Martin & Co to rent my property at Bayham Street, Camden. I am extremely busy with work and not nearby, so I needed the agent to just get on with it. They certainly did. They took the keys, photographed and marketed the property. Within a weekend they had had 3 offers and they vetted and advised the one that they felt would be most reliable. I have heard nothing more about it, they manage and sort everything, and the tenants seem very happy, having just sent a Xmas card! A great and efficient service, thank you

4. A 4-star review by 'Mrs Harbord' 8/12/2014

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    Amy Sheridan
    WV6
    £525

Amy Sheridan

Amy has always acted with my best interests at heart and is reliable in maintaining contact via phone in order to communicate with myself and the tenant. She remains unflustered and positive in any situation. One needs patience and tenacity in the role of landlord and a feeling that the agent is doing their best for you. I have found Martin and Co to be helpful in this regard.

Comments on the Agents fees

“I AM DISAPPOINTED THAT I HAVE TO PAY FEES ON CHANGE OF TENANT. I DO FEEL THAT MY TENANT IS GETTING A VERY GOOD DEAL AND WILL BE LOOKING FOR AN INCREASE IF THE TENANT RENEWS NEXT YEAR.”

5. A 5-star review by 'Stuart Atkinson' 8/12/2014

Branch:
    5 Raglan Street (Harrogate) (North Yorkshire)
    HG1
    £720
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This review is written in light of comparison with another Lettings Agent that I was using until recently in Lichfield, Staffs. The contrast between the 2 Agents is extreme: When we acquired the property in Harrogate it required a lot of work doing and Martin & Co (Harrogate) co-ordinate all of that and the price of the works seemed very reasonable and done in quick time, so it could be rented out. They seem very fair to all our tenants (past & present) based on correspondence received. On-going their main attribute seems to me, as a landlord, is that they are working for me, and my best interests, I do not feel that they pander to every whim of more demanding tenants. I would have no hesitation in recommending any landlord to utilise Martin & Co (Harrogate)'s services, and to do so with great confidence.

Comments on the Agents fees

“AGAIN IN COMPARISON TO THAT AGENT IN LICHFIELD VERY FAVOURABLE. I AM HAPPY.”

6. A 1-star review by 'Steve' 1/12/2014

Branch:
    11 Station Street (Newport) (Gwent)
    NP19
    £525
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Again, where to start with these. They are horrible...please don't use because they are abusive and totally unprofessional. They all need to look in the mirror and question whether they are really in the right business. One woman actually said I had a chip in my shoulder for asking for something she should have provided. They hate being questioned and if you get the slightest bit angry with their incompetence and poor customer service they will throw it back at you instead of trying to appease and calm you down. Amateurs.

“EXHIBITANT”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Been polite, professional and competent They were none of these”

7. 3

A 5-star review by 'Landlord' 1/12/2014

James Rodriguez, David Rodriguez
    N1C
    £3500

James RodriguezDavid Rodriguez

James has been really effective in the tenant search. He found for me an excellent tenant in no time. He showed during the process that he was a real patient pro, always available and finding proper solutions to the various, at times, contradicting demands of the landlord and the tenants.
    James made a few commitments to me for the flat rental management and has so far met all of them.
    In addition James is a very pleasant person to deal with and appears clearly as a trustworthy one.

Comments on the Agents fees

“I BELIEVE THE AGENT\'S FEE IS IN THE NORMAL RANGE HAVING IN MIND THAT THE SERVICE IS VERY SATISFACTORY”

8. 3

A 1-star review by 'C.Hickinbottom' 29/11/2014

Branch:
    11 Station Street (Newport) (Gwent)
    Cf3
    £495
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Extortionate fees with further hidden costs bringing their overall fees to £425. Signed contract after they messed up my moving in date and made it a week earlier before we got paid. Then didn't have the keys to give me. So I had paid rent on a property and I didn't have acces to it. They lied their way through the discussions regarding our issues to try and avoid fault. But I had dates and emails proving they were lieng. I will never ever ever use them again. I will avoid them at all cost even if I found my dream house!

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXTORTIONATE, UNJUSTIFIABLY HIGH, HIDDEN COSTS AFTER THE INITIAL HIGH FEES WERE PAID”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“They could have actually communicated with me. I didn\'t even find out we had the place until 3 days before they wanted me to move in ( a week early ). That was only because I called them as well! They could have not ripped me off with hidden charges.”

9. 3

A 5-star review by 'Simon Gee' 27/11/2014

Steve Murray, Farhang Zonoozi
    NW1
    £1950

Steve MurrayFarhang Zonoozi

Down to earth, quick reacting and lots of local knowledge. My flat was let very quickly at full asking price despite the property needing redecoration (which is has now been done using Martin & Co's recommended - and cheap - builders)

Strongly recommend the business and will use them again for other lettings and sales.

10. A 5-star review by 'Joanna Wlazlo' 27/11/2014

Branch:
    173 Victoria Road (Aldershot) (Hampshire)
    Bradley Phillips
    GU21
    £850

Bradley Phillips

Dear Martin & Co,

Bradley was very helpful with all forms and details that we had to fill in for our offer to be accepted. He was keeping us up to date with our reference so we knew when they were submitted and who we still had to chase to make sure the process what fast and organized. He's always been very polite and responded our questions very efficiently.

Regards,

Joanna

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE FEES ARE FAIR AND SIMILAR TO OTHER AGENCIES.”

1. A 5-star review by 'Liz Holt' 23/11/2014

M2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Very pleased with the service from Martin & Co. They were thorough, knew the market exactly and kept me fully informed. They had a good tenant for my property very quickly and coordinated the changeover perfectly. I really feel that they looked after both tenant and landlord interests faultlessly. I would recommend them to anyone and will certainly use Martin & Co again.

2. 2

A 1-star review by 'Do not bother' 22/11/2014

Branch:
    38 High Street (Banbury) (Oxfordshire)
    hayley , olivia
    ox16

hayley olivia

Absolutely avoid even if you are desperate!!!!
    From word go we had a lady called hayley show us around the house. She knew absolutely nothing about the house everything we asked she had no idea on!
    I applied for a property at Martin and Co and explain that a issue may come up on the credit reference, Olivia said not to worry because we can have a guarantor so the property would be secure. I then wait to hear from the reference company get informed that my partner had a CCj on his record for £56.00 we then get told there's nothing we can do we have lost the house not even a guarantor... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“AGENT FEES ARE DISGUSTING £300 WE PAID”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Not lie tell us correct information they should no. Not to be such money grabbers”

3. A 5-star review by 'david holt' 22/11/2014

Sales (as a Vendor)
    david
    m5
    Sold Price
    £149950

david

Brilliant!! I have sold my apartment through Martin & Co and was pleasantly surprised. Offering such competitive rates in what I see as a strong market in Manchester. David was in charge of the sale of my property and offered feedback regularly which was very re-assuring and helpful. Between the whole team at Martin & Co they made me feel welcomed by offering advice when asked for regarding my small investment portfolio of which is managed by Martin & Co. I would recommend this company to anybody looking for to buy sell or rent. Excellent.

4. A 5-star review by 'Neil Lockwood' 22/11/2014

Branch:
    3-4 Keymer Road (Burgess Hill) (West Sussex)
    Jason Chandler, Alice Hollingum
    BN6
    £1300

Jason ChandlerAlice Hollingum

Thank you for the effort you put into the letting of my house. Your helpful response on the telephone and cheerfulness even when under pressure from other commitments was very much appreciated.
    I will certainly recommend you to any further customers.

5. A 4-star review by 'julie branch' 17/11/2014

e11
    £1600
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Company was very helpful in choosing the right tenants for us and explaining the contract in detail so each party is clear on where they stand. easy to deal with and pleasant staff.

6. A 5-star review by 'ArW805' 14/11/2014

Michael Molloy, Kerri Martin
    E2
    £1800

Michael MolloyKerri Martin

I'm a landlord letting the property through Martin & Co for over 2 years and everything was perfect so far, they handled all inquiries and doing their utmost to make sure all sides are happy. Payments are issued on time with a detailed recipet, I have nothing but good words so far to say about them. Thank you.

7. A 5-star review by 'Mrs Patel' 14/11/2014

Mike Molley, Ann Parrish
    E12
    £43005

Mike MolleyAnn Parrish

I had let my property through Martin & Co on full management.They dealt with all issues with the tenant professionally, and have a very friendly team who keep you informed.
    Their approach to dealing with landlords and tenants is way above your normal High St letting agents and they would be my first choice again for letting

Comments on the Agents fees

“COMPETITIVE LETTING FEES,WITH NO HIDDEN EXTRAS, ALSO DOES RENT GUARANTEE WHICH MOST AGENTS DNT DO”

8. A 4-star review by 'Simon Bentley' 14/11/2014

M15
    £695
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Tenant found very quickly, good service, professional, polite, helpful, a slight admin error on costing but rectified very quickly, thanks.

9. 2

A 1-star review by 'Edy' 6/11/2014

Branch:
    57 Friar Lane (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    , Aylesbury Aylesbury
    HP21

Aylesbury Aylesbury

Incompetent, unprofessional, rude, arrogant, useless...etc etc etc I cannot believe that an agent like this is still in business. We had to go to the deposit adjudicator to get our deposit back, and Martin and Co lied through their teeth about the state of the property and said that they had never received our check in report with our notes on it.
    Please Please be aware....they are not professional, better to stay on campus,,,,we are definitely not going anywhere near an agent for our final year at Uni.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  10. View All Comments (1)by Jam  03/12/2014

I would like to know how you have got your deposit back? They are trying to do the same to me and not give it me back!
  11. 1

A 1-star review by 'Oliver' 5/11/2014

No branch selected
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    CT19
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Would not recommend dealing with Martin & Co, they are very inconsistent and feel that it is acceptable to lie to their clients.

The staff are quite rude & unhelpful. Overall they don't have an ounce of care for their work and don't seem to care about providing quality of service.

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'Yi Cheng' 3/11/2014

Branch:
    67 Essex Road (Islington) (London) (Greater London)
    N5
    Upload a reviwer profile image

We are 3 Chinese students and rented a 2 bd flat from this company and paid the rent and deposit by Bankers Transfer. All transactions were through one of us only (Yi) so we assumed she would be the Lead Tenant. We were not given an inventory of the contents or condition of the flat until we left at the end of the tenancy. Soon after moving in, Adam started emailing Yi telling her he was bringing prospective 'buyers' round to view (usually at the week-end), fortunately, a friend told us he was in breach of the tenancy agreement so we were able to stop this infringement on our liberty. We... (read more)

2. 2

A 1-star review by 'AngryTenant1' 31/10/2014

Branch:
    30 Hospital Street (Nantwich) (Crewe) (Cheshire)
    saul
    CW5

saul

THE WORST customer service I have ever received!

During our time renting with Martin and Co we dealt with Saul, who from the word go was utterly terrible at his job and treating customers.

To start, he rushed us into paying a deposit on the property we viewed and then convinced my girlfriend (who did the initial signing for the property) that we had to take out their contents insurance.

It was not until I called Saul and asked him about this and told him I already had contents insurance with my provider and he rudely said that he had explained that to my girlfriend, which he did... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE RENT FEE WAS OK FOR THE PROPERTY BUT THE AGENCY FEES WERE TOO HIGH”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“- Stop lying - Take phone calls - Return missed calls and messages - Don\'t patronise people - Don\'t be two faced and try be best mates when something is in your favour - Go out of your way to help tenants and provide good customer service”

3. A 1-star review by 'Kamran' 31/10/2014

Branch:
    57 Friar Lane (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    NG8
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Terrible terrible terrible..... will never ever use them again. greedy agent & greedy landlords. Avoid them at all cost. They send me a bill for 160+vat for general cleaning when The only thing I forgot to clean is the spider-web on the ceiling when I asked for the breakdown of this bill they completely ignored me. I waited almost 2 months for my deposit I complained the rental deposit scheme and opened a dispute. Finally we came to an agreement and got my money back... what a rubbish estate agent.......

4. 5

A 1-star review by 'Sarah' 27/10/2014

Branch:
    Campo House, 54 Campo Lane (South Hylton) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    Shef
    £560
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Terrible customer service from the word go. From having to chase up the terms of contract from day one (we should've known from that point the service was going to be abysmal) to month three of still having a broken bed, broken dining chairs and a sink/bath that does not drain. We were left with a £100 fine as Martin and Co did not provide us with a parking permit - we are still to be reimbursed. To add to the problem, the office is only open from 9-5, so how they expect busy working people to chase up problems I have no idea.

Martin and Co are poor agents with low customer care. Their responses to emails are non-existent and problems take a minimum of two months to be resolved.

We feel utterly let down and I will ensure to never rent with Martin and Co again. I wonder whether they treat all their tenants this poorly?

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  5. View All Comments (1)by CM 2203  09/11/2014

Yes they do! Seems to be a common theme - liars cheats and thieves abound at many of their branches!
  6. 3

A 2-star review by 'Disgruntled' 24/10/2014

Branch:
    16 Bridge Street (Caversham) (Reading) (Berkshire)
    RG1
    £775
    Upload a reviwer profile image

They average three days to even acknowledge that a fault has been raised, let alone actually doing anything about them. I currently cannot have a shower or bath as the hot tap has stopped working. No response.
    My smoke alarm was faulty, going off at random times of the day and night. I was told it was the battery, despite it continuing to sound when I was holding the battery in question in my hand.
    The place is full of damp. A lightbulb exploded 45 minutes after being turned off and I was told that was normal too.
    The only reason I haven't moved out is that I can't afford to, basically.

7. 4

A 1-star review by 'ChrisM2203' 23/10/2014

Branch:
    31 Regent Grove (Leamington Spa) (Warwickshire)
    No postcode selected.
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Greedy deceptive and collusive with me and an equally greedy and deceptive landlord!

8. A 5-star review by 'John' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    16 London Street (Basingstoke) (Hampshire)
    Viv Jenner, Rebecca Chivers
    RG24
    £1150

Viv JennerRebecca Chivers

I moved abroad (Australia) back in August 2008 and we were worried about which letting agency we would use for managing our house. As soon as we met with Viv from Martin & Co my wife and I knew we had found the right company to look after our property.

Martin & Co have been nothing but seasoned professionals when it comes to managing our propert from the financial side to the maintenance, they have been excellent with each tenant and we have built up a solid working relationship with the branch staff.

Living on the otherside of the world, we can communicate via email and everything is acted on before we wake up the next day. We could not be happier and would highly recommend Martin & Co in Basingstoke to anyone looking for a very professional letting agency in the Hampshire area.

Comments on the Agents fees

“FROM A MARKET PERSPECTIVE WE RECIEVED THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE RENT IN THE AREA WITHOUT ANY MONTHS WITH THE HOUSE SITTING EMPTY. WE HAVE HAD SEVERAL TENANTS OVER THE PAST 6 YEARS AND WE HAVE NEVER HAD THE PROPERTY EMPTY SINCE HANDING THIS TO MARTIN & CO TO MANAGE WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT.”

9. A 1-star review by 'cat' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    13-15 Upper Craigs (Stirling) (Stirlingshire)
    , Leslie Stirling
    FK8
    £475

Leslie Stirling

Absolutely awful. Avoid like the plague. No sense of professionalism or management about this branch whatsoever. Whenever you go in they are always sitting occupied with their faces glued to the computer screens with tea and biscuits in the other hand however they are always unable to take you calls.
    Most unhelpful experience ever, no inventory, given keys when previous tenants had moved out the property. "Property manager" non existent despite a new member of staff. Extremely rude. Tried to explain a fault within the boiler system as I'm the one facing the problem daily, to be told I'm wrong despite an electrician stating the same fact.
    If this is the number one letting agent in the UK then oh my god. They are all a bunch of desk monkeys and have absolutely no commitment to their job. They are fast enough to take money off of you but if you have a problem with something else regarding your property, you're better off talking to a brick wall. Shocking.

“ONE WORD: HORRIFIC.”

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'Absolute rubbish' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    4 Grove Road South (Southsea) (Portsmouth) (Hampshire)
    Joleen Moret
    PO1
    £675

Joleen Moret

Absolutely terrible dealings with Martin and Co we had a number of complaints which were only dealt with when we refused to resign the contract before then we were completely ignored and they claimed we had never mentioned anything. Nearer the end of our tenancy we felt rather victimised with any disturbances or problems in the block blamed on us without any proof (none of which were to do with us). Disgusting service in my opinion

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Not victimised us and fixed problems when requested”

11. 4

A 1-star review by 'Leighanne' 16/10/2014

Branch:
    217 Nantwich Road (Crewe) (Staffordshire)
    wn1
    £450
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Rubbish was looking for a house to rent found one put some money down to secure the house then got telled someone else was having that house then I was going to view another house got tell the day I was support to see it someone else has got it rubbish not very helpful and poor service will not be using them again