Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
FREE Valuation

Martin & Co

Agent rating: 2.3 out of 5.0 based on 567 ratings. This website contains 562 user reviews of Martin & Co.

Offices / Branches

• 381 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Martin & Co is currently unavailable.

Martin & Co has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Martin & Co, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Page last updated on: 01-Mar-2015 11:59:33

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 19)

1. 3

£1083
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Steve played an integral part in my decision to rent the London property which I am currently residing in. His service is prompt and immaculate; he understands your needs and make the necessary recommendations. I wasn't in a privileged situation to be based in London when I placed my booking deposit nor have I viewed the property in person. Steve constantly kept in touch and made a number of international calls in between, even though we had an 8-hr time difference between us. He has also taken extra measures and proposed alternatives when I had issues with i-banking. Steve is a trusty proxy who made sure that everything is taken care of, before I arrived in London. He made a point to touch base and made recommendations on places to explore in the vicinity, so that you feel at home. Ace. Highly recommended agent, I say.

2. 4

James Rodriguez
    £2500
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I asked James at Martin & Co to rent my property at Bayham Street, Camden. I am extremely busy with work and not nearby, so I needed the agent to just get on with it. They certainly did. They took the keys, photographed and marketed the property. Within a weekend they had had 3 offers and they vetted and advised the one that they felt would be most reliable. I have heard nothing more about it, they manage and sort everything, and the tenants seem very happy, having just sent a Xmas card! A great and efficient service, thank you

3. 4

James Rodriguez, David Rodriguez
    N1C
    £3500
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

James has been really effective in the tenant search. He found for me an excellent tenant in no time. He showed during the process that he was a real patient pro, always available and finding proper solutions to the various, at times, contradicting demands of the landlord and the tenants.
    James made a few commitments to me for the flat rental management and has so far met all of them.
    In addition James is a very pleasant person to deal with and appears clearly as a trustworthy one.

4. 1

np
    £600
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Arranged viewings with them, on arrival to the property after traveling over 60 miles, there was no representative from Martin & Co. Contacted the branch, was told that all viewings were cancelled without any reason.Highlighted this to the management with no response!! No apology nothing received!
    Most companies learn from customers giving them feedback after poor services but not them
    Best AVOID!!!

5. 1

Branch:
    Otter House 20 Otter Lane (Loughborough) (Leicestershire)
    Sandeep Fleet
    LE11
    £550
    Sandeep Fleet

Terrible is a generous rating. Have been a tenant in a dozen plus apartments over the last 10 years. This is comprehensively my worst experience. I never left a review for anything before. I couldn't let others fall into this trap by using them. Moved into a dirty flat with broken boiler, had to take time off work to let the repair man in because the agents didn't have any keys. It took them 4 weeks to find the gas meter in the building and 6 weeks to find the electric meter. Allocated parking spot was supplied as part of the tenancy, but without keys to the car park so I had to wait for others to come and go which made me late for work. I then got parking fines for not having a parking permit in my allocated parking space, which Martin and Co refused to pay for. Disgraceful service and behaviour from the staff. One to avoid at all costs!

6. 1

Branch:
    63 High Street (Witney) (Oxfordshire)
    OX7
    £1440
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Extremely professional and very good value for money. I could not recommend them highly enough. Nothing is to much trouble.

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXTREMELY GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY.”

7. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    45 Foregate Street (Worcester) (Hereford and Worcester)
    wr4
    £650
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Martin and Co has to be the worst letting agency I have dealt with in my entire life. The lack of communication is shocking and it takes them a light year to come and sort out the property whenever theres any issue. All they think about is the ������������������ sign. They are rip offs. and their customer service is very very bad. the asian lady in the worcester branch and some lady called natasza are utterly disgusting.STAY AWAY FROM THIS EXCUSE OF AN AGENCY..

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEIR FEES ARE ABSOLUTELY RIDDICULOUS. THEY TAKE YOUR DEPOSIT FROM YOU IN THE NAME OF CLEANING IT TO IMMACULATE SPEC BUT I STRONGLY BELIEVE THEY DONT EVEN DO ANYTHING. WHEN WE MOVED INTO THE PROPERTY IS WAS DIRTY AND COVERED WITH COBWEBS AND THE CARPET WAS SH*T.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“their fees are absolutely riddiculous. They take your deposit from you in the name of cleaning it to immaculate spec but i strongly believe they dont even do anything. when we moved into the property is was dirty and covered with cobwebs and the carpet was sh*t.”

8. 1

Branch:
    129 Heaton Moor Road Heaton Moor (Stockport) (Greater Manchester)
    SK5
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I would advise everyone not to step foot near Martin & Co. They are by far the WORST agency we have ever been with.

Lack of communication on numerous occasions, meaning we had to constantly chase, when items broke.

Told they wanted access to the property as the landlord wanted to 're-mortgage' the house. Only to find a couple of days later they had taken images of all our belongings within the house & put it up for sale, without giving us a heads up.

Upon leaving the property, we knew they would try to get more money out of us somehow.

What a surprise it was to hear that the house 'wasn't up to their standards'. We went back in to the property to clean so we wouldn't be charged for anything. They then ever so kindly brought the fee down to £100 (which they said was quoted for by a cleaning company) for 'a new toilet seat & dusty skirting boards'.

When asked to see the quote we got nothing but trouble, surely if someone wants to take your money you ask to see proof of a quote?

We still haven't seen the quote & are still fighting this.

9. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    84 Bury Old Road (Whitefield) (Manchester) (Greater Manchester)
    Shelley Roberts
    M26
    £425
    Shelley Roberts

I used Martin & Co letting agents in Feb 2014 and was shocked at the level of service from them. The nightmare all started when my cooker handle broke on my oven after a couple of months, was a very old oven when I moved into the property and at the time of moving in I was assured that it would be replaced. So I rang up to ask if the handle could be fixed I was told by a lady called Shelly she would look into it but in the mean while if I used my oven gloves to open the door when i needed to use the oven. After a few weeks after not hearing anything I rang and asked for an update, she... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“STILL WAITING FOR MY DEPOSIT BACK!”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Still waiting for my deposit back!”

10. 1

Nw1
    Steve Murray

Very helpful through out the whole process. Martin and Co staff were friendly and polite and went out of their way to provide a good service. Easily contactable during working hours.
    They gave us all the information we wanted and made renting as easy as they could.
    Steve was particularly helpful during the checking out process, we were genuinely grateful.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (0) Feature This Review
  11. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    46-48 High Street (Slough) (Buckinghamshire)
    SL2
    £850
    Upload a reviwer profile image

My experience with Martin & Co was terrible at every stage.
    They readily took my deposit and then did not pass my contract to the landlord. The end result was that the landlord withdrew the property on the day I was due to move in. Martin & Co promised to find me a new place but I was unable to get a quick response and I had to ask several times to get my deposit back. I would avoid using them again at all costs.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (0) Feature This Review
  12. A 2-star review by ''

Branch:
    18 Church Street (Rugby) (Warwickshire)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    CV21
    £550
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Me and my friend (who was searching with me) both arrived at the agency for our appointed viewing, the agent collected the keys and showed us down the road to the property.

Upon letting us in, we had our initial looks around the house however the agent failed to interact with us, offer us any points of interest about the house, mainly standing around as we examined and while we were upstairs, they remained on the ground floor.

After the viewing, the agent didn't ask any follow up questions, or offered us any further details about the property, we said goodbye and they left me and my friend to return to the agency office.

13. 1

Branch:
    57 Friar Lane (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    NG1
    £650
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Totally rubbish customer service would never use again martin crown the director has no manors at all he needs to learn some people skills.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Avoid at all cost the owner of the cimpany is so rude!!”

1. 2

Branch:
    56 St. Loyes Street (Bedford) (Bedfordshire)
    Lorena Niro, Natasha Serino
    mk40
    £600
    Lorena NiroNatasha Serino

These are quite possibly the worst agents around. We were left without electricity for 3 days, hot water/ heating for 7 days and water for 2 days. They said just go to your friends house then, then they tried to take 75% of our deposit when we moved out. They are very shifty. Always check their extra charges and photograph everything when you move in and out. This has been a very steep and expensive learning curve. They come round whenever they want for a surprise inspection. They are rude and do not answer any queries you have. I found the women there to be worse than the men, especially if you are a woman complaining. They treated me and my partner like we were prisoners with no rights. Do not use, you have been warned.

Comments on the Agents fees

“OVERCHARGED ON EVERYTHING, HIDDEN FEES”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“overcharged on everything, hidden fees”

2. 1

Branch:
    18 High Street (Coalville) (Leicestershire)
    le67
    £475
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This is the first house my girlfriend and I have lived in together so it was very important for it to be pleasant. After handing over our bond,admin fees etc. martin & co stopped being at all interested. lets start at the front door. it requires kicking with my steel toe caps to open it and slamming from fully open to close it, the carpet which I was assured had been cleaned was disgusting which cost me a further £300 to have it cleaned, when I challenged martins I was told there was a receipt on file and if I didn't clean it again at the end of the tenancy I would lose my bond. The... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE IS THEY ARE PAID FEES TO PROVIDE A SERVICE, THEY HAVE PROVIDED ME NOTHING”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“The only issue I have is they are paid fees to provide a service, they have provided me nothing”

3. 2

Branch:
    33 Liverpool Road (Manchester) (Greater Manchester)
    Matt Binns
    M15
    Matt Binns

To say that the employees in the Manchester office of Martin & Co are a bunch of incompetent people is a massive understatement. In fact, I'm pretty sure that having three or fewer brain cells is a requirement to work for this company.

When Matt first took us to view the flat in Ancoats it was in desperate need of a clean and we were assured that this would be done professionally before we moved in. On the day that we signed for the flat we asked whether it had been cleaned, to which our "property manager" Mark blatantly lied to our faces and told us it had been. When we... (read more)

4. 5

Branch:
    57 Friar Lane (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    No postcode selected.
    Upload a reviwer profile image

As a landlord of a student property I have just been awarded compensation from Martin and Co, Nottingham for their failings in managing my property..I had excellent tenants .there are too many complaints about this company to list, in my opinion they are incompetents hiding behind the franchise title.One of my main issues was that my tenants did not have any heating for 3 weeks, eventually I took this matter into my own hands and it was fixed within 2 days.The tenants were not given the alarm code, this duly sounded all weekend, they were given unauthorised access to my garage, there no property condition checks until I prompted..There was no inventory done and then it was taken on another 2 occasions due to inaccuracies.Rather than apologise they lied continually to cover their mistakes.One star is too many there is no option for none.

5. 1

A 4-star review by ''

Upload a reviwer profile image

We are very satisfied with the agent we used at Martin & Co. We were looking to rent an apartment for one year in central London and we really felt that the agent understood our needs.
    He was very friendly, service minded and helpful previous to finding the apartment, during our search and after we found the apartment.
    Overall we feel that the agent made our apartment hunting a much more pleasant and smooth experience than what we were expecting.

6. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    44 Piccadilly (Stoke on Trent) (Staffordshire)
    Theresa
    ST1
    Theresa

DO NOT use this estate agents under any circumstances. We moved in and had many issues. A lot of them were 'accidentally' left off the inventory. We then emailed these issues to Martin and Co to update the inventory. Non of these were resolved, no matter how much we asked and pointed them out on inspections. They don't ring you back, they don't email you back. Then when it comes to you moving out and you have cleaned, repainted and steam cleaned to ensure you get all of your deposit back, they blame the pre-existing issues on YOU! Then when you give the email as evidence, they say that YOU must have made those issues in the first week you lived there! Theresa is the rudest person we have ever spoken to, she won't listen to reason and hung up on us three times: absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Comments on the Agents fees

“SORT THE ISSUES IN THE FIRST PLACE. DON\'T BLAME ISSUES ON US AND WITHHOLD MONEY. DON\'T BE SO RUDE.”

7. A 5-star review by ''

Branch:
    West View Court 39-41 Belvedere Road (Crystal Palace) (London) (Greater London)
    James Gough
    SE27
    £1100
    James Gough

Good communication and good service. Very easy to deal with. Assisted and provided all relevant paper work on time accurately. Very efficient and little hassle.

8. A 1-star review by ''

NP20
    £450
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Completely and utterly useless.

I've lived here for years as it is one of the cheapest space-to-cost ratio places to live. I can tell why it is so cheap.

Martin & Co do not give a single flying one about you so long as you are paying the rent. I have complained about the same faults in my apartment every 6 months since i moved in, and they STILL have never done anything about it despite always being told they will.

They mess up my contract every time i go to sign it again, they completely ignore tenants complaints and concerns, they are utterly incompetent in every way.

They obviously don't read their emails or text messages, as they call you up to ask a question you responded to days ago via email.

The people in this place are thicker than the walls in my flat (although that isn't saying much).

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Hired people who did more than sit around all day picking their nose with one hand and digging into your wallet with the other. Also not charge £80 every time you have to sign a contact. £80 to change the name and date on a bit of paper and print it out and then watch someone sign it? Ridiculous.”

9. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    182 Old Christchurch Road (Bournemouth) (Hampshire)
    Sales (as a Buyer)
    Debbie Holmes
    bh1
    Sold Price
    £134950
    Debbie Holmes

Me and my wife we were looking to buy a property and unfortunately we found a property listed by them on right move, we where really excited as we put an offer and the offer was accepted, we went the second time to see the property and was a different agent Debbie Holmes and when asked her about some work that the first agent told as its gone a be done she said she doesn't know(we was supposed to have the survey the day after) also late half an our and said she was in a rush and she had to go when I asked her when I can see the property again she said that we can't see it only after we exchange contracts.

She was really disrespectful, she was expecting us to see the property once and buy it like you buy a shirt for 10£. She looked really surprised when asked her to see the property another time which made me think that something was wrong with the property or she is a really poor agent.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“As the survey was supposed to be done on the next day she was supposed to know as they promise if that work it was to get done or not, what she said is that the survey is not her business and I understand that but I wouldn\'t have pay that money without that work being done and I would have lost the survey money.”

10. 1

Branch:
    5 Raglan Street (Harrogate) (North Yorkshire)
    HG1
    £900
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I rented a property in Harrogate, Martin & Co were the managing letting agent. The directors of this franchise are husband and wife duo Louise & Mark Anderson.

I had an extremely unpleasant time on a number of occasions when dealing with them. The worst incident occurred one winter when the central heating packed up. I contacted Louise Anderson at Martin & Co and was told that there was nothing she could do as the engineers they used were busy! The property I was renting was extremely cold getting down to 3C at one point.

After multiple phone calls, she agreed to ring round... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“HOPELESS AT VALUATIONS AND THE DISREPAIR OF THE PROPERTY MADE IN INHABITABLE AT TIMES.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Simple, they need to start doing the job that they get paid for.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (3) Feature This Review
  11. View All Comments (3)by Mark Anderson  12/01/2015

Hello Stephanie, It is you isn't it? We have never had a tenant called A. Brians and I recognise the circumstances that you describe. So it must be you. It must be 4 years since we last spoke and since you were in the flat. It was that very cold winter when many condensate pipes from boilers froze up rendering lots and lots of boilers inoperative in many properties. There was a period of a couple of weeks where it was very difficult to get same day service from heating engineers due to the huge amount of unexpected boilers with frozen condensate drain pipes. This period was the... (read more)

1. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    Wv10
    £725
    Upload a reviwer profile image

The worst letting agents I've ever used. Their communication was appalling. We asked Martin & Co if we could decorate to which they said 'yes no problem, make the place into your home'. We started decorating and had a call from Martin & Co saying the landlord was furious and they denied saying we had permission to decorate- despite the fact that we had it put on our contract. We contacted the landlord ourselves who had had no such conversation with Martin & co and said she had had nothing but trouble with them herself.
    They only accept cash so you end up having to carry large... (read more)

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“They need to learn how to communicate. They need facilities to pay by card. They need to understand that you cannot turn customers away during opening hours”

2. A 5-star review by ''

Branch:
    13A High Street (Wanstead) (London) (Greater London)
    Michael Molloy, Kerri Martin
    No postcode selected.
    Michael MolloyKerri Martin

I recently had the pleasure to deal with the team at Martin&Co Wanstead in regards to letting a property. Michael, Richard, Ben and Kerri were most helpful, friendly and professional throughout. I wholeheartedly recommend their services.

3. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    2 Middle Row (Ashford) (Kent)
    Lee Brown, Kevin Hall
    TN23
    £700
    Lee BrownKevin Hall

We rented our property with Martin & Co after speaking with the manager Kevin. kevin assured us they did rigorous checks and would not allow just anyone to rent our property. We informed Kevin that part of the outshed and loft would have items stored in so would not be available. Kevin informed me the opposite and they used the space and emptied out our shed and tried to get us to pay for things to be removed. In the end we came to an agreement with them but Martin & Co did not handle the situation well. After a while we decided to sell the property. We decided to see with... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  4. View All Comments (1)by Kev  02/02/2015

We work very hard for landlords, unfortunately in this case the tenants fell out with the landlord as she wanted to sell and from that point made life very difficult. We advised that the only way to sell would be to bring the tenancy to an end which we did. On checkout we acted on the third party inventory and made and agreed with the tenant various deductions. The items that the tenants disagreed with (totalling £97) were put to arbitration. The DPS made no award as the landlord was unable to provide any evidence of spending the money that was being claimed. We have always acted promptly and courteously when dealing with this landlord (as we do with all landlords) and presumably that is the reason why we have not had any other negative reviews. Landlords tend to be busy people and therefore they do not feedback when they receive great service - thereby limiting the value of these sites.
  5. A 4-star review by ''

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    Amy Sheridan
    WV6
    Amy Sheridan

Amy has always acted with my best interests at heart and is reliable in maintaining contact via phone in order to communicate with myself and the tenant. She remains unflustered and positive in any situation. One needs patience and tenacity in the role of landlord and a feeling that the agent is doing their best for you. I have found Martin and Co to be helpful in this regard.

Comments on the Agents fees

“I AM DISAPPOINTED THAT I HAVE TO PAY FEES ON CHANGE OF TENANT. I DO FEEL THAT MY TENANT IS GETTING A VERY GOOD DEAL AND WILL BE LOOKING FOR AN INCREASE IF THE TENANT RENEWS NEXT YEAR.”

6. A 5-star review by ''

Branch:
    5 Raglan Street (Harrogate) (North Yorkshire)
    HG1
    £720
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This review is written in light of comparison with another Lettings Agent that I was using until recently in Lichfield, Staffs. The contrast between the 2 Agents is extreme: When we acquired the property in Harrogate it required a lot of work doing and Martin & Co (Harrogate) co-ordinate all of that and the price of the works seemed very reasonable and done in quick time, so it could be rented out. They seem very fair to all our tenants (past & present) based on correspondence received. On-going their main attribute seems to me, as a landlord, is that they are working for me, and my best interests, I do not feel that they pander to every whim of more demanding tenants. I would have no hesitation in recommending any landlord to utilise Martin & Co (Harrogate)'s services, and to do so with great confidence.

Comments on the Agents fees

“AGAIN IN COMPARISON TO THAT AGENT IN LICHFIELD VERY FAVOURABLE. I AM HAPPY.”

7. A 1-star review by ''

NP19
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Again, where to start with these. They are horrible...please don't use because they are abusive and totally unprofessional. They all need to look in the mirror and question whether they are really in the right business. One woman actually said I had a chip in my shoulder for asking for something she should have provided. They hate being questioned and if you get the slightest bit angry with their incompetence and poor customer service they will throw it back at you instead of trying to appease and calm you down. Amateurs.

“EXHIBITANT”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Been polite, professional and competent They were none of these”

8. 3

Cf3
    £495
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Extortionate fees with further hidden costs bringing their overall fees to £425. Signed contract after they messed up my moving in date and made it a week earlier before we got paid. Then didn't have the keys to give me. So I had paid rent on a property and I didn't have acces to it. They lied their way through the discussions regarding our issues to try and avoid fault. But I had dates and emails proving they were lieng. I will never ever ever use them again. I will avoid them at all cost even if I found my dream house!

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXTORTIONATE, UNJUSTIFIABLY HIGH, HIDDEN COSTS AFTER THE INITIAL HIGH FEES WERE PAID”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“They could have actually communicated with me. I didn\'t even find out we had the place until 3 days before they wanted me to move in ( a week early ). That was only because I called them as well! They could have not ripped me off with hidden charges.”