FREE Valuation

Martin & Co

Agent rating: 2.3 out of 5.0 based on 599 ratings. This website contains 594 user reviews of Martin & Co.

• Martin & Co has not joined our 'Transparent Agent' Scheme yet.

• "If only I had known about this site before..." is the most common comment we get posted from reviewers that have had a bad experience. So in response, allAgents has introduced the "transparent agent" scheme to help identify agents that are open about independent customer feedback and have nothing to hide. The scheme is FREE to join and as an incentive, allAgents will provide them with FREE LANDLORD & VENDOR ENQUIRES.

If however you do choose to use Martin & Co, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Get a valuation from one of our 'transparent agents'.
Learn More   Hide

Smartphone? Scan It!

google_qr

Print | Save

Review Widget

Embed the allAgents reviews widget on your site! Customize it easily and just paste the code!

* - works only for premium support branches
Ratings Widget

• 400 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Martin & Co is currently unavailable.

Page last updated on: 07-Jul-2015 16:32:19

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 20)

1. 3

Steve Murray
    NW1
    £1083
    Steve Murray

Steve played an integral part in my decision to rent the London property which I am currently residing in. His service is prompt and immaculate; he understands your needs and make the necessary recommendations. I wasn't in a privileged situation to be based in London when I placed my booking deposit nor have I viewed the property in person. Steve constantly kept in touch and made a number of international calls in between, even though we had an 8-hr time difference between us. He has also taken extra measures and proposed alternatives when I had issues with i-banking. Steve is a trusty proxy who made sure that everything is taken care of, before I arrived in London. He made a point to touch base and made recommendations on places to explore in the vicinity, so that you feel at home. Ace. Highly recommended agent, I say.

2. 4

James Rodriguez
    NW1
    £2500
    James Rodriguez

I asked James at Martin & Co to rent my property at Bayham Street, Camden. I am extremely busy with work and not nearby, so I needed the agent to just get on with it. They certainly did. They took the keys, photographed and marketed the property. Within a weekend they had had 3 offers and they vetted and advised the one that they felt would be most reliable. I have heard nothing more about it, they manage and sort everything, and the tenants seem very happy, having just sent a Xmas card! A great and efficient service, thank you

3. 4

James Rodriguez, David Rodriguez
    N1C
    £3500
    James RodriguezDavid Rodriguez

James has been really effective in the tenant search. He found for me an excellent tenant in no time. He showed during the process that he was a real patient pro, always available and finding proper solutions to the various, at times, contradicting demands of the landlord and the tenants.
    James made a few commitments to me for the flat rental management and has so far met all of them.
    In addition James is a very pleasant person to deal with and appears clearly as a trustworthy one.

Twitter  Facebook

4. A 5 -star review by ''

david
    m3
    £695
    david

My experience with Martin & Co has been great. I'm really pleased with the way David helped me secure the apartment. Right from the start, during the property viewing I was given all the information that was required and tips on how to speed up the paperwork process. Furthermore, as I had problems in securing a guarantor and was worried the apartment would slip out of my hands leaving me to scramble around searching for an apartment in such a short time before work commenced, David from Martin & Co was very supportive and helpful in ensuring I got the apartment by offering me an alternative of a 6 month contract that could be extended. I am really grateful to the team and specially David for this. Many Thanks!
    property viewing - all info given
    paper work - fast efficient, supportive

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  5. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    84 Bury Old Road (Whitefield) (Manchester) (Greater Manchester)
    Dayna Hyman
    m7
    £1100
    Dayna Hyman

Were unwilling to confirm that I was a tenant at the property without me paying a staggering �35 reference fee. When questioned, they claimed the terms were 'put in front of you for you to sign'.

This may be true, and yet violates the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations Act 2008 by failing to draw sufficient attention to charges that may be levied in the future, and I shall be reporting them to The Property Ombudsman for their failure in procedure here.

The clause highlighted also stated

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEY WILL ATTEMPT TO SLAP YOUR TENANTS WITH GROSSLY BLOATED FEES AT EVERY TURN FOR EVERY LITTLE 'SERVICE' RENDERED NO MATTER HOW MINUTE. A £35 FEE TO GIVE A REFERENCE, A £50 FEE TO RENEW A TENANCY ETC. WHILST YOU AS A LANDLORD MAY NOT BE FINANCIALLY AFFECTED BY THESE, IT SPEAKS TO THEIR COMPANY ETHOS AND I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF THE SAME SITUATION OCCURRED IN YOUR OWN DEALINGS WITH THEM.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“They will attempt to slap your tenants with grossly bloated fees at every turn for every little 'service' rendered no matter how minute. A £35 fee to give a reference, a £50 fee to renew a tenancy etc. Whilst you as a landlord may not be financially affected by these, it speaks to their company ethos and I wouldn't be surprised if the same situation occurred in your own dealings with them.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  6. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    51 Middlewood Road (Hillsborough) (Sheffield) (South Yorkshire)
    Jennie
    S3
    £525
    Jennie

I booked a flat from Martin and Co, without actually viewing the flat, as was abroad and had to enter quickly to a new property for job purposes.

The photos of the flat where old (they showed the flat as brand new when it was completely destroyed by previous tenants).

The flat was dirty and I had to do a professional cleaning the very first day.

I had to do the inventory check in myself (they inventory check in was done probably once when the building was built and was never updated there after).

I had to go and pick up the keys myself as

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  7. A 5 -star review by ''

M3
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I moved into a brand new Vimto Gardens apartment. Since the property was not ready to view, they had showed me some floor plans and everything was spot on when i had moved in. Overall a great service.

8. 1

Branch:
    20 Worcester Street (Gloucester) (Gloucestershire)
    GL2
    £550
    Kirsten Ingram

I found Martin & Co to charge horrendous renewal fees without informing tenants about such fees. The staff were very rude and lacked customer service skills. When I left the property I was renting through them, they tried every trick in the book to keep my deposit, from cobwebs in impossible to reach places, complaining about problems that were already present on moving into the property, dusty light cords, to complaining a leylandi tree was not exactly the same size as it was 2.5 years prior to moving in! Basically ridiculous reasons to withhold a tenants deposit or take more money from a tenant. I certainly wouldn't recommend them and would advise anyone considering renting a property through them to think again!

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  9. A 5 -star review by ''

M32
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Martin & Co Manchester Central have managed my rental property for over 3 years now. I am extremely satisfied with the level of service I receive and I would not hesitate to recommend them to others. The key things I have been most impressed with are, (a) Martin & Co always respond promptly to my email correspondence, (b) Martin & Co always process payments on schedule whilst providing a detailed statement of account, (c) Martin & Co deal with all maintenance issues in an efficient and transparent manner.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  10. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    13-15 Upper Craigs (Stirling) (Stirlingshire)
    Kevin , David
    Fk14
    £1000
    Kevin David

Customer service is none existing in the stirling office. I have been waiting 3 days for a call back. I will never recommend Martin & co to anyone. Should have listened to my colleague when they treated with the utmost disrespect .

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  11. A 5 -star review by ''

Branch:
    5 Raglan Street (Harrogate) (North Yorkshire)
    Louise Anderson
    HG2
    £515
    Louise Anderson

We have rented a flat for 5 years with Martinco. Throughout our tenancy we have found them to always be helpful and considerate.

If there have ever been any issues they have been resolved swiftly and professionally and without any disruption to our lives.

We have never had any unnecessary charges and feel our rent increases were done fairly year on year.

It is with a little sadness that this relationship has come to an end but we're happy now to have bought our own house.

Thanks again for putting up with us!

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  12. A 5 -star review by ''

Branch:
    2 Middle Row (Ashford) (Kent)
    TN23
    £355000
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Martin & Co Ashford branch helped us let our 5-bedroom property when we left the UK for abroad. When the tenants left and we then decided to sell, they again helped us find a buyer in a short time. They were pro-active in liaising with everyone concerned- the buyers and the solicitors of each side. We're happy with the services Martin & Co provided us and I would definitely recommend them.

13. 1

Branch:
    32 Chalmers Street (Dunfermline) (Fife)
    Ky11
    £360
    Would you use the agent again? No

Just don't use this company! I was left for 19 days with no heating and hot water, after 3/4 visits from the plumber and on each occasion him saying he couldn't fix the boiler, we finally got a specialist out on day 8 of broken boiler in November!! They continued to send out Barry, there usual plumber who after the first visit stood firm that it was a specialist job that he couldn't do. After being messed about waiting on parts etc, It was eventually fixed and money refunded off rent for the 19days but it caused a huge problem with damp, my bed linen was soaked, my shoes/clothes/belonging... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  14. How much is my property worth?

FREE valuation
  15. A 5 -star review by ''

Andrew Sheldon, Paul Jenner
    RG21
    £200000
    Andrew SheldonPaul Jenner

They managed the property for several years and did an excellent job. Kept us advised on all property matters.
    When it came time to sell they were very proactive and sold the house in the first week of it going on the market.

They know the rental market in the Basingstoke area and are equally as knowledgeable about the selling of property within the area.

We would definitely recommend them. A brilliant team!

16. 1

Branch:
    1 Adams House (Harlow) (Essex)
    Joanna strzyzewska
    EN10
    Joanna strzyzewska

Terrible experience with Martin & Co Harlow.

1) Took 5 months to receive back our inventory report which was inconsistent with the state of the flat. I informed them about the inconsistencies but it was never updated in the inventory.
    2) After my washing machine broke down it took them eight... Yes eight months to replace it almost the full length of the 12 month tenancy. I had to go to a laundrette which cost me alot of money and I had a 1 year old.
    3) They don't reply to emails or return phone calls, you have to chase them up for any sort of update.
    4) Tried to claim £550 off... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“OVERPRICED FEES, PAID OVER £500 IN TOTAL.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Not worth the stress dealing with them ever again.”

17. 1

Branch:
    40 Aldwick Road (Bognor Regis) (West Sussex)
    Property Management
    PO22
    Would you use the agent again? No

I strongly disapprove this agent for several reasons:
    After the tenant moved out of my house, my house was left totally wracked.
    Anything you can imagine was broken, from light fittings to toilet seat, door handle, fridge freezer and even the toilet flush was totally broken!
    I ask myself what full management this was as they obviously did not check anything! During the 3 years the tenant was leaving there.
    When he left my freezer was so iced up that its door did not close anymore!
    They took 10 days until they send their cleaner to deice it! Costing me a fortune as freezer was working round the clock and they charged me �100 for sending an old gent to my house, during my husband was anyway there doing the same!!! If we had known how much it would cost us we had send him home straight away! Anyway very irresponsible agent who does not carry careful inspections of your property and does not look after it. Please do not go near them, if you don't want your house to be wracked!

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  18. A 5 -star review by ''

Andrew Sheldon, Viv Jenner
    RG23
    Andrew SheldonViv Jenner

Andrew, Viv and Paul have been extremely helpful in a difficult situation we found ourselves in with tenants wishing to leave before the end of their Contract. They handled the situation extremely professionally offering very helpful advice and allowing us all to meet a satisfactory conclusion in terminating the contract and finding another suitable tenant. We would highly recommend them all.

Comments on the Agents fees

“VERY REASONABLE FOR THE AMOUNT OF WORK UNDERTAKEN.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  19. A 5 -star review by ''

james wiggins, Linda Gunner
    Gu14
    £1095
    james wigginsLinda Gunner

A few months ago we started the process of finding an agency to manage our flat for us as we will be moving overseas for a while, and wanted things taken care of. James and the team came out as our preferred choice against some other local agencies for a number of reasons.
    I would always advocate that the key is about VALUE and not about being the cheapest or most expensive. It was important that the experience was good for us as well as tenants, and the team have delivered to expectations.
    I would have no hesitation recommending or using James and the team and it is a refreshing change from the heavy sales tactics of some other high street agencies. Well done.

20. 1

Richard Oldaker, james wiggins
    gu14
    £199950
    Richard Oldakerjames wiggins

The agent gave advice about photos and presentation of the property before putting up for sale. The agent arranged to be present at the viewings and the property was sold within five days of going on the market and for the full asking price.
    I would recommend this agent to other prospective sellers, as they offer a professional service, are very knowledgeable about property values and give realistic advice about the selling process.

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXCELLENT VALUE FOR THE SERVICE PROVIDED.”

21. 1

Branch:
    46-48 High Street (Slough) (Buckinghamshire)
    Sales (Prospective customer)
    Harveer Gandam, Louise Carolan
    SL1
    £209950
    Harveer GandamLouise Carolan

I was willing to buy property through this estate agent and the whole experience was very disappointing. I did viewing couple of times and both time I had to wait for 45 minutes.

I asked owner's expectations and was willing to offer asking price but agent misguided me. I called multiple times but never got call back at any occasion. On next day i was told that vendor accepted someone else's offer. I was not given a fair chance in offer process and have received worst treatment so far of dealing with any agent.

22. 4

Branch:
    20 Worcester Street (Gloucester) (Gloucestershire)
    gl1
    £450
    Kirsten Ingram

The most unhelpful, money grabbing bunch of people I have ever met. Their fees are through the roof which I wouldn't mind if they actually did some work. They are honestly clueless, my tenancy agreement didnt even have the address in question on it, there are several spelling errors which actually make sentences into something nonsensical, in my eyes something which should have been done a lot better considering the cash paid for it.

That aside, the property is lovely, but that has nothing to do with them.

As I do not deal with the landlord directly, i have to go through Martin & Co... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“COMPLETELY OVERPRICED. SOME FEES ARE UNDERSTANDABLE, BUT FOR THE SERVICE AND LEGAL DOCUMENTS I RECIEVED, THIS WAS NOT JUSTIFIED.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Completely overpriced. Some fees are understandable, but for the service and legal documents I recieved, this was not justified.”

23. 3

A 2 -star review by ''

Branch:
    4 Grove Road South (Southsea) (Portsmouth) (Hampshire)
    Manager Mr Thomas
    po5
    Manager Mr Thomas

Having a property for let and unhappy with current agent we asked for a visit to discuss our options. The gentleman who attended, I believe he told us he was the director, was very aggressive in his manner and made us feel pressured to make a decision at that time.
    We decided to put our property with another agent who seemed to be far more knowledgably and with a far better approach.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Change the aggressive hard sell.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  24. A 5 -star review by ''

james wiggins, Richard Oldaker
    GU11
    £850
    james wigginsRichard Oldaker

Both James and Richard have provided excellent service, advice and guidance in my venture into the letting world. I am using them again for my next property. Thank you to all the team at Martin & Co Aldershot for your courteous manner in handling my business with you.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  25. How much is my property worth?

26. 1

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    WV1
    £450
    Would you use the agent again? No

Worst real estate agent ever! I had a complete waste of time and money for an overpriced and insalubrious apartmeny.

27. 1

Branch:
    29 High Street (High Wycombe) (Buckinghamshire)
    Hp11
    Would you use the agent again? No

Poor service... They advertise a property that they don't have access to it. Been postponed 4 times always on a short notice... And a week later they told me that they have an offer from someone else before I get the chance to see it. I wouldn't recommend. Please try and find some professional agents out there... They are time wasters...

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  28. A 5 -star review by ''

Richard Oldaker, james wiggins
    GU11
    Richard Oldakerjames wiggins

I was first contacted by Martin & Co through an advert I was running in a local paper to find a tenant, having dealt directly with renting properties myself, I was a little apprehensive as to what they would be able to do for me over and above what I was doing myself and it was going to cost extra in management fees for the privilege.

Five years on and they now look after all of my portfolio (except one), their service from finding a tenant, vetting, regular property visits and arranging maintenance as required has been faultless, always proactive and professional in their approach, all of the staff in the office appear follow the same ethos which must trickle down from James and Richard. Also, it is entirely possible that their fees are cost neutral when considering previous void periods and bad debt I had experienced in the past and their active approach to rent increases. I would recommend them to any landlord looking for an agent to manage their properties.

Comments on the Agents fees

“I BELIEVE THE FEES I AM PAYING WITH MARTIN & CO ARE IN LINE WITH OTHER AGENTS LOCALLY.”

29. 2

Paul Jenner, Viv Jenner
    RG22
    £850
    Paul JennerViv Jenner

I found this agent very, very rude, unpleasant, pushy, unhelpful and misleading in their information throughout the tenancy. Rent was increased without the knowledge of the Landlord.
    I would not recommend this agent at all, probably the worst agent in Basingstoke and certainly the most rude and unhelpful. Case with the Property Ombudsman and Deposit Protection Scheme currently underway.

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXTORTIONATE ON A REGULAR BASIS.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  30. A 5 -star review by ''

Branch:
    8-10 West St Helen Street (Abingdon) (Oxfordshire)
    ox14
    £725
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

We always receive excellent service from this agent, we find them to be very fair and professional in their approach to us, our tenants and our properties.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  31. A 5 -star review by ''

Branch:
    38 High Street (Banbury) (Oxfordshire)
    david Stone
    ox16
    £795
    david Stone

Renting is becoming a mine field David always looks after his landlords and is very knowledgeable if things go wrong which sometimes they can because unfortuneatly there are some bad tenants out there. He is always at the other end of the phone when needed and very hands on. Paul again is very knowledgeable and always at the other end of the phone to advise. I have used a lot of agents but never found one that is landlord friendly. This is not to say they don't help the tenants they most certainly do I always say if someone writes a negative comment there is always two sides to a story. Tenants. who are honest look after the landlords property and pay the rent on time are most welcome I would recommend Martins Banbury if you are a landlord or tenant

Max

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  32. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    43 High Street (Ringwood) (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    BH24
    £550
    Would you use the agent again? No

When I moved in the property I reported a couple of problems which were completely ignored, not even getting back to me.
    Around 3 weeks before moving out there was a gas safety inspection where I reported that I had recently had problems with the gas fire, the gas engineer informed me this was a part that wears out over time and he would book the fire in to be serviced. I left the property spotless with no issues but the gas engineer had not called to sort a day for the service. A few days after moving I spoke to staff in the Ringwood office about my deposit, I was informed there was no... (read more)

“RIDICULOUS FEES”

“Ridiculous fees”

33. 3

RG24
    £800
    Would you use the agent again? No

I'm lucky that my experience isn't as bad as some on here however Martin & Co Basingstoke's customer service is truly appalling. I moved in with my partner in September last year He had lived in the property for a few years prior to this. It was not managed by Martin & Co however he found the property through them. As I work in the industry I was checking all his paperwork was in place and he had everything he needed. I realised he didn't have his deposit ID so contacted Martin and Co to get this. Needless to say a week passed and I didn't hear anything from Martin & Co however I did get a phone call from my Landlord saying Martin & Co have told me you're leaving, why didn't you tell me?!. At no point did I say to Martin & Co we were vacating, we weren't and aren't but the fact that they are more concerned with money than customer service caused a huge problem between our Landlord and ourselves. The silver lining to this is that when we do come to vacate there is no way our Landlord will use them to find another Tenant.

34. 1

M6
    Would you use the agent again? No

The agreements and contracts do not match with what they are verbally agreed.
    There is no sense of responsibility and keeping the time frames agreed.
    A small sample of the issues follow.
    No access fob provided for the apartment while one is listed in the contract.
    No parking spot provided while one is listed in the contract.
    No meter readings, no key to the apartment.
    All the above tie very well with their fees, £350 for a flat rental.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“The agreements and contracts do not match with what they are verbally agreed. There is no sense of responsibility and keeping the time frames agreed. When questions are raised you are being re-directed to the building maintenance instead of them owning any issues that arise. There are agents and property managers, apparently those two entities in their company never communicate. A small sample of the issues follow. No access fob provided for the apartment while one is listed in the contract. No parking spot provided while one is listed in the contract. No meter readings, no key to the apartment. Currently issues with the property are not dealt with in priority. I would class an open window in a first floor flat a security threat to start with let alone the temperature of the flat being incredibly low. Avoid no mater how good the dwelling is, you will have issues living in it with them managing it. All the above tie very well with their fees, £350 for a flat rental.”

35. 3

Branch:
    1 Charing Cross (Norwich) (Norfolk)
    Lucy Curtis, Katie Marshall
    NR4
    £1150
    Lucy CurtisKatie Marshall

The most horrendous experience I have ever had. Staff at Martin & Co are rude, obnoxious and totally unwilling to help; from the smallest cases to cupboard doors breaking (due to them being improperly fixed at the hinges in the first place), to very adverse living conditions such as horrendous mildew and now even the caving in of my bedroom ceiling. Over the past few years that I have lived in my student house, I have had nothing but trouble from this estate agents. Upon moving into the house, it was unclean (McDonald's bags and cartons everywhere, grease on kitchen surfaces, toilet... (read more)

“RIP OFF”

“Rip off”

36. View All Comments (1)by Matthew White  05/03/2015

This Review contains a number of significant inaccuracies. Firstly the damp has been confirmed by several experienced contractors to have been caused by the Tenant's lifestyle and failure to adequately control condensation within the property. This included (prior to the incident occurring) a highly qualified Damp Specialist, who, having undertaken a thorough investigation at the house, drew up a detailed report on the cause, which was shared with all of the occupants. Previously, on several occasions the Tenants had been issued with various guides to assist them and explaining how to... (read more)