Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Martin & Co

Agent rating: 2.3 out of 5.0 based on 557 ratings. This website contains 552 user reviews of Martin & Co.

Offices / Branches

• 373 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Martin & Co is currently unavailable.

Martin & Co has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Martin & Co, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 19)

Page last updated on: 28-Jan-2015 10:30:45

1. 1

Branch:
    56 St. Loyes Street (Bedford) (Bedfordshire)
    Lorena Niro, Natasha Serino
    mk40
    £600

Lorena NiroNatasha Serino

These are quite possibly the worst agents around. We were left without electricity for 3 days, hot water/ heating for 7 days and water for 2 days. They said just go to your friends house then, then they tried to take 75% of our deposit when we moved out. They are very shifty. Always check their extra charges and photograph everything when you move in and out. This has been a very steep and expensive learning curve. They come round whenever they want for a surprise inspection. They are rude and do not answer any queries you have. I found the women there to be worse than the men, especially if you are a woman complaining. They treated me and my partner like we were prisoners with no rights. Do not use, you have been warned.

Comments on the Agents fees

“OVERCHARGED ON EVERYTHING, HIDDEN FEES”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“overcharged on everything, hidden fees”

2. 1

Branch:
    18 High Street (Coalville) (Leicestershire)
    le67
    £475
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This is the first house my girlfriend and I have lived in together so it was very important for it to be pleasant. After handing over our bond,admin fees etc. martin & co stopped being at all interested. lets start at the front door. it requires kicking with my steel toe caps to open it and slamming from fully open to close it, the carpet which I was assured had been cleaned was disgusting which cost me a further £300 to have it cleaned, when I challenged martins I was told there was a receipt on file and if I didn't clean it again at the end of the tenancy I would lose my bond. The... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE IS THEY ARE PAID FEES TO PROVIDE A SERVICE, THEY HAVE PROVIDED ME NOTHING”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“The only issue I have is they are paid fees to provide a service, they have provided me nothing”

3. 1

Matt Binns
    M15

Matt Binns

To say that the employees in the Manchester office of Martin & Co are a bunch of incompetent people is a massive understatement. In fact, I'm pretty sure that having three or fewer brain cells is a requirement to work for this company.

When Matt first took us to view the flat in Ancoats it was in desperate need of a clean and we were assured that this would be done professionally before we moved in. On the day that we signed for the flat we asked whether it had been cleaned, to which our "property manager" Mark blatantly lied to our faces and told us it had been. When we... (read more)

4. 5

Branch:
    57 Friar Lane (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    No postcode selected.
    Upload a reviwer profile image

As a landlord of a student property I have just been awarded compensation from Martin and Co, Nottingham for their failings in managing my property..I had excellent tenants .there are too many complaints about this company to list, in my opinion they are incompetents hiding behind the franchise title.One of my main issues was that my tenants did not have any heating for 3 weeks, eventually I took this matter into my own hands and it was fixed within 2 days.The tenants were not given the alarm code, this duly sounded all weekend, they were given unauthorised access to my garage, there no property condition checks until I prompted..There was no inventory done and then it was taken on another 2 occasions due to inaccuracies.Rather than apologise they lied continually to cover their mistakes.One star is too many there is no option for none.

5. 1

A 4-star review by ''

Upload a reviwer profile image

We are very satisfied with the agent we used at Martin & Co. We were looking to rent an apartment for one year in central London and we really felt that the agent understood our needs.
    He was very friendly, service minded and helpful previous to finding the apartment, during our search and after we found the apartment.
    Overall we feel that the agent made our apartment hunting a much more pleasant and smooth experience than what we were expecting.

6. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    44 Piccadilly (Stoke on Trent) (Staffordshire)
    Theresa
    ST1

Theresa

DO NOT use this estate agents under any circumstances. We moved in and had many issues. A lot of them were 'accidentally' left off the inventory. We then emailed these issues to Martin and Co to update the inventory. Non of these were resolved, no matter how much we asked and pointed them out on inspections. They don't ring you back, they don't email you back. Then when it comes to you moving out and you have cleaned, repainted and steam cleaned to ensure you get all of your deposit back, they blame the pre-existing issues on YOU! Then when you give the email as evidence, they say that YOU must have made those issues in the first week you lived there! Theresa is the rudest person we have ever spoken to, she won't listen to reason and hung up on us three times: absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Comments on the Agents fees

“SORT THE ISSUES IN THE FIRST PLACE. DON\'T BLAME ISSUES ON US AND WITHHOLD MONEY. DON\'T BE SO RUDE.”

7. A 5-star review by ''

Branch:
    West View Court 39-41 Belvedere Road (Crystal Palace) (London) (Greater London)
    James Gough
    SE27
    £1100

James Gough

Good communication and good service. Very easy to deal with. Assisted and provided all relevant paper work on time accurately. Very efficient and little hassle.

8. A 1-star review by ''

NP20
    £450
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Completely and utterly useless.

I've lived here for years as it is one of the cheapest space-to-cost ratio places to live. I can tell why it is so cheap.

Martin & Co do not give a single flying one about you so long as you are paying the rent. I have complained about the same faults in my apartment every 6 months since i moved in, and they STILL have never done anything about it despite always being told they will.

They mess up my contract every time i go to sign it again, they completely ignore tenants complaints and concerns, they are utterly incompetent in every way.

They obviously don't read their emails or text messages, as they call you up to ask a question you responded to days ago via email.

The people in this place are thicker than the walls in my flat (although that isn't saying much).

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Hired people who did more than sit around all day picking their nose with one hand and digging into your wallet with the other. Also not charge £80 every time you have to sign a contact. £80 to change the name and date on a bit of paper and print it out and then watch someone sign it? Ridiculous.”

9. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    182 Old Christchurch Road (Bournemouth) (Hampshire)
    Sales (as a Buyer)
    Debbie Holmes
    bh1
    Sold Price
    £134950

Debbie Holmes

Me and my wife we were looking to buy a property and unfortunately we found a property listed by them on right move, we where really excited as we put an offer and the offer was accepted, we went the second time to see the property and was a different agent Debbie Holmes and when asked her about some work that the first agent told as its gone a be done she said she doesn't know(we was supposed to have the survey the day after) also late half an our and said she was in a rush and she had to go when I asked her when I can see the property again she said that we can't see it only after we exchange contracts.

She was really disrespectful, she was expecting us to see the property once and buy it like you buy a shirt for 10£. She looked really surprised when asked her to see the property another time which made me think that something was wrong with the property or she is a really poor agent.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“As the survey was supposed to be done on the next day she was supposed to know as they promise if that work it was to get done or not, what she said is that the survey is not her business and I understand that but I wouldn\'t have pay that money without that work being done and I would have lost the survey money.”

10. 2

Steve Chadwick
    £1083

Steve Chadwick

Steve played an integral part in my decision to rent the London property which I am currently residing in. His service is prompt and immaculate; he understands your needs and make the necessary recommendations. I wasn't in a privileged situation to be based in London when I placed my booking deposit nor have I viewed the property in person. Steve constantly kept in touch and made a number of international calls in between, even though we had an 8-hr time difference between us. He has also taken extra measures and proposed alternatives when I had issues with i-banking. Steve is a trusty proxy who made sure that everything is taken care of, before I arrived in London. He made a point to touch base and made recommendations on places to explore in the vicinity, so that you feel at home. Ace. Highly recommended agent, I say.

1. 1

Branch:
    5 Raglan Street (Harrogate) (North Yorkshire)
    HG1
    £900
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I rented a property in Harrogate, Martin & Co were the managing letting agent. The directors of this franchise are husband and wife duo Louise & Mark Anderson.

I had an extremely unpleasant time on a number of occasions when dealing with them. The worst incident occurred one winter when the central heating packed up. I contacted Louise Anderson at Martin & Co and was told that there was nothing she could do as the engineers they used were busy! The property I was renting was extremely cold getting down to 3C at one point.

After multiple phone calls, she agreed to ring round... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“HOPELESS AT VALUATIONS AND THE DISREPAIR OF THE PROPERTY MADE IN INHABITABLE AT TIMES.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Simple, they need to start doing the job that they get paid for.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (3) Feature This Review
  2. View All Comments (3)by Mark Anderson  12/01/2015

Hello Stephanie, It is you isn't it? We have never had a tenant called A. Brians and I recognise the circumstances that you describe. So it must be you. It must be 4 years since we last spoke and since you were in the flat. It was that very cold winter when many condensate pipes from boilers froze up rendering lots and lots of boilers inoperative in many properties. There was a period of a couple of weeks where it was very difficult to get same day service from heating engineers due to the huge amount of unexpected boilers with frozen condensate drain pipes. This period was the... (read more)
  3. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    Wv10
    £725
    Upload a reviwer profile image

The worst letting agents I've ever used. Their communication was appalling. We asked Martin & Co if we could decorate to which they said 'yes no problem, make the place into your home'. We started decorating and had a call from Martin & Co saying the landlord was furious and they denied saying we had permission to decorate- despite the fact that we had it put on our contract. We contacted the landlord ourselves who had had no such conversation with Martin & co and said she had had nothing but trouble with them herself.
    They only accept cash so you end up having to carry large... (read more)

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“They need to learn how to communicate. They need facilities to pay by card. They need to understand that you cannot turn customers away during opening hours”

4. A 5-star review by ''

Michael Molloy, Kerri Martin
    No postcode selected.

Michael MolloyKerri Martin

I recently had the pleasure to deal with the team at Martin&Co Wanstead in regards to letting a property. Michael, Richard, Ben and Kerri were most helpful, friendly and professional throughout. I wholeheartedly recommend their services.

5. A 1-star review by ''

Branch:
    2 Middle Row (Ashford) (Kent)
    Lee Brown, Kevin Hall
    TN23
    £700

Lee BrownKevin Hall

We rented our property with Martin & Co after speaking with the manager Kevin. kevin assured us they did rigorous checks and would not allow just anyone to rent our property. We informed Kevin that part of the outshed and loft would have items stored in so would not be available. Kevin informed me the opposite and they used the space and emptied out our shed and tried to get us to pay for things to be removed. In the end we came to an agreement with them but Martin & Co did not handle the situation well. After a while we decided to sell the property. We decided to see with... (read more)

6. 3

James Rodriguez
    £2500

James Rodriguez

I asked James at Martin & Co to rent my property at Bayham Street, Camden. I am extremely busy with work and not nearby, so I needed the agent to just get on with it. They certainly did. They took the keys, photographed and marketed the property. Within a weekend they had had 3 offers and they vetted and advised the one that they felt would be most reliable. I have heard nothing more about it, they manage and sort everything, and the tenants seem very happy, having just sent a Xmas card! A great and efficient service, thank you

7. A 4-star review by ''

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    Amy Sheridan
    WV6

Amy Sheridan

Amy has always acted with my best interests at heart and is reliable in maintaining contact via phone in order to communicate with myself and the tenant. She remains unflustered and positive in any situation. One needs patience and tenacity in the role of landlord and a feeling that the agent is doing their best for you. I have found Martin and Co to be helpful in this regard.

Comments on the Agents fees

“I AM DISAPPOINTED THAT I HAVE TO PAY FEES ON CHANGE OF TENANT. I DO FEEL THAT MY TENANT IS GETTING A VERY GOOD DEAL AND WILL BE LOOKING FOR AN INCREASE IF THE TENANT RENEWS NEXT YEAR.”

8. A 5-star review by ''

Branch:
    5 Raglan Street (Harrogate) (North Yorkshire)
    HG1
    £720
    Upload a reviwer profile image

This review is written in light of comparison with another Lettings Agent that I was using until recently in Lichfield, Staffs. The contrast between the 2 Agents is extreme: When we acquired the property in Harrogate it required a lot of work doing and Martin & Co (Harrogate) co-ordinate all of that and the price of the works seemed very reasonable and done in quick time, so it could be rented out. They seem very fair to all our tenants (past & present) based on correspondence received. On-going their main attribute seems to me, as a landlord, is that they are working for me, and my best interests, I do not feel that they pander to every whim of more demanding tenants. I would have no hesitation in recommending any landlord to utilise Martin & Co (Harrogate)'s services, and to do so with great confidence.

Comments on the Agents fees

“AGAIN IN COMPARISON TO THAT AGENT IN LICHFIELD VERY FAVOURABLE. I AM HAPPY.”

9. A 1-star review by ''

NP19
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Again, where to start with these. They are horrible...please don't use because they are abusive and totally unprofessional. They all need to look in the mirror and question whether they are really in the right business. One woman actually said I had a chip in my shoulder for asking for something she should have provided. They hate being questioned and if you get the slightest bit angry with their incompetence and poor customer service they will throw it back at you instead of trying to appease and calm you down. Amateurs.

“EXHIBITANT”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Been polite, professional and competent They were none of these”

10. 3

James Rodriguez, David Rodriguez
    N1C
    £3500

James RodriguezDavid Rodriguez

James has been really effective in the tenant search. He found for me an excellent tenant in no time. He showed during the process that he was a real patient pro, always available and finding proper solutions to the various, at times, contradicting demands of the landlord and the tenants.
    James made a few commitments to me for the flat rental management and has so far met all of them.
    In addition James is a very pleasant person to deal with and appears clearly as a trustworthy one.

Comments on the Agents fees

“I BELIEVE THE AGENT\'S FEE IS IN THE NORMAL RANGE HAVING IN MIND THAT THE SERVICE IS VERY SATISFACTORY”

11. 3

Cf3
    £495
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Extortionate fees with further hidden costs bringing their overall fees to £425. Signed contract after they messed up my moving in date and made it a week earlier before we got paid. Then didn't have the keys to give me. So I had paid rent on a property and I didn't have acces to it. They lied their way through the discussions regarding our issues to try and avoid fault. But I had dates and emails proving they were lieng. I will never ever ever use them again. I will avoid them at all cost even if I found my dream house!

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXTORTIONATE, UNJUSTIFIABLY HIGH, HIDDEN COSTS AFTER THE INITIAL HIGH FEES WERE PAID”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“They could have actually communicated with me. I didn\'t even find out we had the place until 3 days before they wanted me to move in ( a week early ). That was only because I called them as well! They could have not ripped me off with hidden charges.”

1. 3

Steve Murray, Farhang Zonoozi
    £1950

Steve MurrayFarhang Zonoozi

Down to earth, quick reacting and lots of local knowledge. My flat was let very quickly at full asking price despite the property needing redecoration (which is has now been done using Martin & Co's recommended - and cheap - builders)

Strongly recommend the business and will use them again for other lettings and sales.

2. A 5-star review by ''

Branch:
    173 Victoria Road (Aldershot) (Hampshire)
    Bradley Phillips
    GU21
    £850

Bradley Phillips

Dear Martin & Co,

Bradley was very helpful with all forms and details that we had to fill in for our offer to be accepted. He was keeping us up to date with our reference so we knew when they were submitted and who we still had to chase to make sure the process what fast and organized. He's always been very polite and responded our questions very efficiently.

Regards,

Joanna

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE FEES ARE FAIR AND SIMILAR TO OTHER AGENCIES.”

3. A 5-star review by ''

M2
    £750
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Very pleased with the service from Martin & Co. They were thorough, knew the market exactly and kept me fully informed. They had a good tenant for my property very quickly and coordinated the changeover perfectly. I really feel that they looked after both tenant and landlord interests faultlessly. I would recommend them to anyone and will certainly use Martin & Co again.

4. A 5-star review by ''

Branch:
    3-4 Keymer Road (Burgess Hill) (West Sussex)
    Jason Chandler, Alice Hollingum
    BN6
    £1300

Jason ChandlerAlice Hollingum

Thank you for the effort you put into the letting of my house. Your helpful response on the telephone and cheerfulness even when under pressure from other commitments was very much appreciated.
    I will certainly recommend you to any further customers.

5. 2

Branch:
    38 High Street (Banbury) (Oxfordshire)
    hayley , olivia
    ox16
    £750

hayley olivia

Absolutely avoid even if you are desperate!!!!
    From word go we had a lady called hayley show us around the house. She knew absolutely nothing about the house everything we asked she had no idea on!
    I applied for a property at Martin and Co and explain that a issue may come up on the credit reference, Olivia said not to worry because we can have a guarantor so the property would be secure. I then wait to hear from the reference company get informed that my partner had a CCj on his record for £56.00 we then get told there's nothing we can do we have lost the house not even a guarantor... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“AGENT FEES ARE DISGUSTING £300 WE PAID”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Not lie tell us correct information they should no. Not to be such money grabbers”

6. A 5-star review by ''

Sales (as a Vendor)
    david
    m5
    Sold Price
    £149950

david

Brilliant!! I have sold my apartment through Martin & Co and was pleasantly surprised. Offering such competitive rates in what I see as a strong market in Manchester. David was in charge of the sale of my property and offered feedback regularly which was very re-assuring and helpful. Between the whole team at Martin & Co they made me feel welcomed by offering advice when asked for regarding my small investment portfolio of which is managed by Martin & Co. I would recommend this company to anybody looking for to buy sell or rent. Excellent.

7. A 4-star review by ''

e11
    £1600
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Company was very helpful in choosing the right tenants for us and explaining the contract in detail so each party is clear on where they stand. easy to deal with and pleasant staff.

8. A 5-star review by ''

Michael Molloy, Kerri Martin
    E2
    £1800

Michael MolloyKerri Martin

I'm a landlord letting the property through Martin & Co for over 2 years and everything was perfect so far, they handled all inquiries and doing their utmost to make sure all sides are happy. Payments are issued on time with a detailed recipet, I have nothing but good words so far to say about them. Thank you.

9. A 5-star review by ''

Mike Molley, Ann Parrish
    E12
    £43005

Mike MolleyAnn Parrish

I had let my property through Martin & Co on full management.They dealt with all issues with the tenant professionally, and have a very friendly team who keep you informed.
    Their approach to dealing with landlords and tenants is way above your normal High St letting agents and they would be my first choice again for letting

Comments on the Agents fees

“COMPETITIVE LETTING FEES,WITH NO HIDDEN EXTRAS, ALSO DOES RENT GUARANTEE WHICH MOST AGENTS DNT DO”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (0) Feature This Review
  10. A 4-star review by ''

M15
    £695
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Tenant found very quickly, good service, professional, polite, helpful, a slight admin error on costing but rectified very quickly, thanks.