Browse agents by letter
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Martin & Co

Agent rating: 2.3 out of 5.0 based on 420 ratings. This website contains 415 user reviews of Martin & Co.

Offices / Branches

• 286 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Martin & Co is currently unavailable.

Martin & Co has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Martin & Co, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Get a Quote

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 14)

Page last updated on: 16-Apr-2014 14:36:30

1. A 1-star review by 'Ralph' 7/4/2014

4A Market Street
    NG20
    Would you use the agent again? No

Very poor and use bully tactics to milk as much money from you as possible. They request renewal upto 3 months before it's even due, and If you do not instantly agree they come the following day and erect a to-let board. Overall they are rubbish at dealing with any problems that need fixing at the property and don't reply to emails. They are on the ball when it's time for them to take more fees from you for renewal though. I would not recommend using these to anybody at all. Avoid at all costs. Poor customer service, bully tactics, greedy.

2. A 1-star review by 'Boyd' 7/4/2014

4A Market Street
    NG20
    Would you use the agent again? No

Find any way possible to bleed you dry. Contact you 3 months prior to tenancy expiring to bully you into signing another fixed term (with more fees) If you don't respond immediately they come and erect a to-let sign to try and intimidate you. Never respond to emails regarding property repairs, only get In touch with you when there's a chance of more fees to be collected. Really poor customer service, greedy, use bully tactics. Would never recommend using these to anybody. What a big mistake, definitely steering clear of these money sucking entities. Be warned!

3. A 1-star review by 'SJ42' 5/4/2014

44 Piccadilly
    ST2
    Would you use the agent again? No

Possibly the most unhelpful letting agent I have dealt with. When they say they'll call you back don't ever expect a call, you will always have to chase them up on the most simple of requests. If you have to chase it up its never their fault and the issue has been passed on once again to another colleague.
    Nine times out of ten the person who deals with the enquiry is always out on a training course rather than being available to help.

I am in a "fully manage property" and I find myself constantly having to do their job for them! I also agree with the other comments as they appear to be completely unable to feedback any request or feedback to and from the landlord.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Be able to answer simple enquiries over the phone 9 times out of 10 I get told the person who can deal with my request is away on \"training\" Actually call back when they say they will!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the most frustrating thing of all Communicate requests to and from the landlord in a reasonable amount of time without me having to chase if up When you say your going to do something, do it!!! For example, sending a email that I have to request 3 times or organising work to a property”

4. 1

A 1-star review by 'Exasperated Tenant' 5/4/2014

Matt Binns, Kate Muir
    Would you use the agent again? No

I have never in my life had the unfortunate to deal with a more incompetent company. I have literally nothing positive to say about my 18 months as a tenant or Martin and Co. Manchester Central. I would not usually waste my time writing a review however I feel strongly about this and I genuinely do not wish anyone else having to suffer with dealing with them as an agency.

1) It was not contacted for a month after giving them my agency fee despite several emails to them asking whether not I had got the property and whether or not I needed to keep looking.
    2) When I eventually moved in, as... (read more)

5. A 5-star review by 'Angela' 27/3/2014

20 Church Street
    Sarah Cule, Emma Donnelly
    CF44
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

The Merthyr Tydfil branch of Martin & Co have been outstanding in their professionalism and level of helpfulness. This extends to advice prior to purchasing a buy to let and has continued throughout the whole process of valuing and letting our property for us. They have been approachable and efficient and have kept us informed as the letting has progressed. In particular Sarah Cule's willingness to provide prompt help and advice has been invaluable. The communication we have had with Emma, Liam & Ieuan has also always been professional, polite and courteous. We are very pleased with the service we have received from Martin & Co in Merthyr Tydfil and have no hesitation in recommending them.

6. A 5-star review by 'Andrew J' 24/3/2014

20 Church Street
    Sarah Cule
    CF45
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

WOW- The Team at Merthyr has been great especially Sarah.

I was with another agent and the differnce has been astonishing - professional, helpful, patient and deeply knowledgeable. I have felt that I am in very safe hands and I have total trust in Sarah (and the team) that they are doing everything in my best interests.
    Sarah has had to deal with many issues ans she has kept me informed at every step -

thanks very much - Outstanding professionalism and customer care. I have no hestitation in recommending Sarah to any other landlord and she is to be praised highly.

7. 3

A 4-star review by 'John Haines' 20/3/2014

RG29
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I have been using Martin's in Basingstoke for the past three years for a full managed service on multiple properties. Over that period my properties have had few vacancies, rent has been paid on time with no bad debts and overall the experience has been good.

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'STAY AWAY' 19/3/2014

93 St. Clair Street
    KY2
    Would you use the agent again? No

This has to be the rudest bunch of unprofessional money-grabbers I have ever had the complete displeasure of dealing with. Not only do they charge extortionate prices for absolutely everything - they just don't care about you as a landlord or your property as your investment. I STRONGLY recommend that anyone reading this stays well clear of these vile people. I have had nothing but horrendous trouble on every single occasion... irreparable damage, disgusting squalor, sub-letting, deposits lost. You name it, they've screwed me over on it. Shop around and go with anyone but Martin Co.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Not if they were free to use and found me a tenant willing to pay 100 times the rent price.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (4) Feature This Review
  9. View All Comments (4)by Nora  19/03/2014

Your statement is untrue. Speak to me face to face.
  10. A 5-star review by 'M' 15/3/2014

29 London Street
    SP1
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I have used Martin & Co in Andover on two occasions now to find tenants for an apartment in Andover town centre.

On both occasions they proved to be cost-effective and efficient.

Previously I used another local agent and had extremely poor service by comparison.

Carole and her staff have been very open, honest and professional in all my dealings with them and I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

11. 1

A 4-star review by 'Ant' 7/3/2014

Would you use the agent again? Yes

We secured a flat in a new development and found both the letting agent and office staff friendly and helpful. The move in date went according to plan but the paperwork was very thorough which took time to complete. The flat was great and we only left due to purchasing our own property. When we came to leave we booked an appointment with a member of staff who was happy to point out areas we had missed and we were given time to rectify this. We received our deposit back in full and quite quickly.

1. A 4-star review by 'hannahthom' 7/3/2014

Would you use the agent again? Yes

I have just vacated the property , I am sad to be leaving as I really did love my flat . As agents they were fine , they helped with a couple of issues with people parking in my allocated space which was great so I didn't have to get involved. I know people who have had similar problems and agents have shied away from helping .
    I didn't have many encounters with Martin &co but that was due to not having any issues from taking the property to leaving the property . As agents I would recommend .

2. 2

A 1-star review by 'Bal Singh' 6/3/2014

BASI
    Would you use the agent again? No

As a landlord and owner of several properties , with experience of dealing with several letting agents I advise stay away from " Martin & Co" their incompetence in dealing with my property was laughable not only did they mislead me , they also denied all wrong doings despite emails sent to proving the facts , and caused me untold stress in wasting my time and testing my patience . BEWARE this is a franchise business and their head office is not interested in helping in any way.

As someone who has managed a sales business , I was absolutely disgusted in the manner of the... (read more)

3. 1

A 1-star review by 'Jo Suleyman' 5/3/2014

5 Godstone Road
    CR3
    Would you use the agent again? No

In NOVEMBER 2013 we informed the landlord directly of a damp problem, serious damp and mould growing in the main bedroom where I sleep with my NEWBORN CHILD. We had a specialist come round and tell us that they had already been to the house nearly a year before when it was empty and told the landlord and agent of a recurring damp problem caused by poor ventilation in the property. We heard nothing so reported the damp to the agent in DECEMBER 2013. By February the damp is now everywhere. I have a newborn and an asthmatic 6 year old. You can imagine the effect this is having on them! It is now... (read more)

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“They could have solved the issues in a timely fashion instead of doing nothing ignoring our emails and leaving us living in a house full of mould and damp”

Report Abuse 12 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (0) Feature This Review
  4. A 1-star review by 'M & C' 27/2/2014

3 Fraser House
    Lynsey Waddington
    DN7
    Would you use the agent again? No

The most discussing customer service I have ever received in my life. In no way did I ever feel like a paying customer of 6 months. Major attitude problem, wouldn't let me finish a sentence, no time for me or my husband what so ever!
    Provided me with endless incorrect information and one word answers. Such a awful experience. We left the property at the start of January and things still aren't sorted now.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“If the agent had treated me like a customer and spoke to me with some manners atleast one of the times I called then this issue might have been sorted a long time ago!”

5. 3

A 5-star review by 'Sakib Khan' 25/2/2014

71-73 West Ham Lane
    Chloe Quigley, Rajesh Lola
    E15
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Martin & Co is a very committed estate agent. I had seen 3 other agents for 5 months and they could not help me with finding a rental property. As soon as I went into Martin & Co in Stratford, they were very helpful and welcoming unlike other agents who are too busy to not be showing some enthusiasm or offering full customer service. Martin & Co were happy to listen to my needs for the type of rental property I wanted for me and my family; and had kept me updated with the ones that came on. Within a week and a half of waiting, Mr Rajesh Lola had found me a rental flat which was suitable for a family. I was thrilled and excited to move in and all was done in good time! Thanks to Rajesh and his team.
    Keep up with the great work Martin & Co in Stratford :)

6. 2

A 5-star review by 'AMW' 25/2/2014

173 Victoria Road
    james wiggins, Linda Gunner
    GU12
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I can't recommend Martin & Co Aldershot highly enough. Friendly, professional and responsive when needed.

I have a young family and I felt they were considerate throughout whilst we completed the process. We have stayed in the property for 2 years and are only leaving as the owners are moving back in.

Whenever there was an issue (not that there was many) they were swift to deal with it every time.

7. 1

A 5-star review by 'Sakib Khan' 25/2/2014

71-73 West Ham Lane
    Chloe Quigley, Rajesh Lola
    E15
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Keep up with the great work Martin & Co in Stratford :)

8. A 1-star review by 'DO NOT USE' 22/2/2014

Kerri Zebedee
    Would you use the agent again? No

Can honestly say I would rather be homeless than deal with these again. Can't believe how we were spoken to by the manager Kerry zebedee, absolutely vile human! All they were interested in was getting as much money out of us as possible and once you hand over anything they have you and their attitudes completely change! If I had the time I would stand outside their office warning people not to hand over any money to them, biggest mistake!!!!

9. 2

Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Helen Bracewell, Manager Huddersfield
    HD1
    Would you use the agent again? No

Firstly we were given incorrect information on the pricing of the property and rent and also were sent incorrect documents after already paying out £100 admin fee. We were then ignored for 4 weeks by Helen the estate agent who had taken our money and left us with no other information. The contract we verbally agreed on was then changed to a contract which we could no longer afford. After trying for 2 further weeks to refund and contact the company, we were messed around via phone calls and lied to that our refund has been sent back. Finally, when we got through to a manager after a phone call with Lee who was rude and inconsiderate of the problem. The manager was rude and didn't care about our problem ending the phonecall with a sarcastic "I wish you success in your future career" whilst laughing. Overall, UNPROFESSIONAL, RUDE, LAZY, INCOMPETENT, MONEY STEALING COMPANY WITH LACK OF COMMUNICATION. Do not recommend.

1. 3

A 1-star review by 'Cakes' 21/2/2014

RG21
    Would you use the agent again? No

Absolutely disgusted with this company, paid a fee to end tenancy early due to my job being transferred but still held accountable for rent after this date! The have charged for everything possible keep a majority of our deposit despite most being wear and tear as we rented said property for coming up to five years! Also the fact that we painted a walls as they were looking a bit drab maybe I should charge them for my time and the materials I used!!!! And the staff so very rude!!! Arrogant and jumped up

2. 3

A 5-star review by 'Ben' 21/2/2014

RG22
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Martin & Co have let and managed my property since 2010 and they have always done an excellent job. I am sorry to say that they no longer manage it for me, but that's ok as they have just sold it for me! Thank you to all the team for your hard work over the years.

3. A 5-star review by 'Mr and Mrs Malik' 21/2/2014

Otter House 20 Otter Lane
    Sales (as a Vendor)
    Mitul Gadhia, Jo Philipps
    LE11
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

The service that has been provided by both Mitul and Jo has been exemplary. We have been updated throughout and have been extremely impressed with their professionalism and courtesy. They have also suggested alternative which we had not considered. They have both gone the extra mile for us. We cannot thank them enough for their honest and sincere approach since we instructed them.

4. 1

A 5-star review by 'Maria Gemmell' 20/2/2014

173 Victoria Road
    Linda Gunner, Richard Oldaker
    GU14
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I have been in the property for 2 and a half years and in that time I never had any issues with Martin & Co. if there were any problems i.e water leaks or power cuts i just had to phone any time night or day and someone would be there to deal with my problem very promptly and efficiently. I have found all the staff very helpful especially Linda who made moving in very easy and stress free and also with my moving out which again was made easy and stress free. As Landlords they are very accommodating and helpful and i would not hesitate in calling them if i ever needed to.

5. A 1-star review by 'D' 19/2/2014

16 South Street
    EX4

Avoid.
    They charge for everything, renewal of the contract ( every 6-12 mounths) £75, even after five years they want from us £500 for erly relive (2 mounth befor end of tenacy). They comming to your place,bringing people for vawing without notice, after all they live door open for whole day, turn on heating and live it on!!! And never saying sorry!!! Some of the staff are understand you just if they want many times they was saying that they do not undrstand want I want!!! Have a really bad experience with them.

6. 4

A 5-star review by 'Phil' 18/2/2014

RG21
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Thank you to the Martin & Co team for all your help over the last three years. You have rented my house succesfully throughout this time and always provided me with good tenants and an efficient service. I always recommend you to other Landlords I meet.

7. A 1-star review by 'Alice' 17/2/2014

172 Woodlands Road
    G3
    Would you use the agent again? No

I've had to instruct this company almost every step of the way about their management. The current situation is the SafedepositsScotland deposit which supports vandalising tenants leaving the owner in the dark. As a result the cost of repairing kitchen is ignored and full deposit returned to the culprit (Mackay).

8. A 5-star review by 'Professional landlady' 17/2/2014

Would you use the agent again? Yes

I have been using this agent for 5yrs now with various properties and have always had a good service. There has been a change of ownership over the last 8mths , having dealt with the previous Branch and office managers for 4yrs having a good rapport with all the staff, it was unfortunate that the temporary manager a Mr Guire who was in place during the change, did not carry on the high standard of the previous senior management team. During this time I was conscious that the service I was receiving was not acceptable it became obvious to me that he lacked experience and had no authority to make decisions. thankfully, I was assured that there was going to be new experienced owners taking over the business and I decided to leave my properties with Martin and Co.
    I am now happy to say the service I am receiving is back to the high standards that I have become accustomed to in the passed.
    I therefore can recommend this office and the staff, who are very committed. I will be instruction them on my remaining properties as they become available.

9. 4

A 5-star review by 'Martin C' 17/2/2014

RG24
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Thank you for liaising with my Landlord and fixing my boiler so promptly, especially on a Friday. Didn't fancy a weekend of cold showers...

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'Thoroughly disgusted' 14/2/2014

63 High Street
    OX28
    Would you use the agent again? No

Avoid this agent at all costs - They were aggressive and rude when we challenged how much they wanted to take from our deposit for a few small items as it was way over the top and they were not much better during our tenancy. It takes forever to get a response about anything, they have no interest in the welfare of their tenants and are only interested in how much money they can con out of your deposit!