FREE Valuation

Martin & Co

Agent rating: 2.3 out of 5.0 based on 588 ratings. This website contains 583 user reviews of Martin & Co.

• Martin & Co has not joined our 'Transparent Agent' Scheme yet.

• "If only I had known about this site before..." is the most common comment we get posted from reviewers that have had a bad experience. So in response, allAgents has introduced the "transparent agent" scheme to help identify agents that are open about independent customer feedback and have nothing to hide. The scheme is FREE to join and as an incentive, allAgents will provide them with FREE LANDLORD & VENDOR ENQUIRES.

If however you do choose to use Martin & Co, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Get a valuation from one of our 'transparent agents'.
Learn More   Hide

• 395 disapprove

Meet the Team

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Martin & Co is currently unavailable.

Page last updated on: 21-May-2015 23:09:45

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 20)

1. 3

NW1
    £1083
    Steve Murray

Steve played an integral part in my decision to rent the London property which I am currently residing in. His service is prompt and immaculate; he understands your needs and make the necessary recommendations. I wasn't in a privileged situation to be based in London when I placed my booking deposit nor have I viewed the property in person. Steve constantly kept in touch and made a number of international calls in between, even though we had an 8-hr time difference between us. He has also taken extra measures and proposed alternatives when I had issues with i-banking. Steve is a trusty proxy who made sure that everything is taken care of, before I arrived in London. He made a point to touch base and made recommendations on places to explore in the vicinity, so that you feel at home. Ace. Highly recommended agent, I say.

2. 4

James Rodriguez
    NW1
    £2500
    James Rodriguez

I asked James at Martin & Co to rent my property at Bayham Street, Camden. I am extremely busy with work and not nearby, so I needed the agent to just get on with it. They certainly did. They took the keys, photographed and marketed the property. Within a weekend they had had 3 offers and they vetted and advised the one that they felt would be most reliable. I have heard nothing more about it, they manage and sort everything, and the tenants seem very happy, having just sent a Xmas card! A great and efficient service, thank you

3. 4

James Rodriguez, David Rodriguez
    N1C
    £3500
    James RodriguezDavid Rodriguez

James has been really effective in the tenant search. He found for me an excellent tenant in no time. He showed during the process that he was a real patient pro, always available and finding proper solutions to the various, at times, contradicting demands of the landlord and the tenants.
    James made a few commitments to me for the flat rental management and has so far met all of them.
    In addition James is a very pleasant person to deal with and appears clearly as a trustworthy one.

Twitter  Facebook

4. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    1 Adams House (Harlow) (Essex)
    Joanna strzyzewska
    EN10
    Joanna strzyzewska

Terrible experience with Martin & Co Harlow.

1) Took 5 months to receive back our inventory report which was inconsistent with the state of the flat. I informed them about the inconsistencies but it was never updated in the inventory.
    2) After my washing machine broke down it took them eight... Yes eight months to replace it almost the full length of the 12 month tenancy. I had to go to a laundrette which cost me alot of money and I had a 1 year old.
    3) They don't reply to emails or return phone calls, you have to chase them up for any sort of update.
    4) Tried to claim £550 off... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“OVERPRICED FEES, PAID OVER £500 IN TOTAL.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Not worth the stress dealing with them ever again.”

5. 1

Branch:
    40 Aldwick Road (Bognor Regis) (West Sussex)
    Property Management
    PO22
    Would you use the agent again? No

I strongly disapprove this agent for several reasons:
    After the tenant moved out of my house, my house was left totally wracked.
    Anything you can imagine was broken, from light fittings to toilet seat, door handle, fridge freezer and even the toilet flush was totally broken!
    I ask myself what full management this was as they obviously did not check anything! During the 3 years the tenant was leaving there.
    When he left my freezer was so iced up that its door did not close anymore!
    They took 10 days until they send their cleaner to deice it! Costing me a fortune as freezer was working round the clock and they charged me �100 for sending an old gent to my house, during my husband was anyway there doing the same!!! If we had known how much it would cost us we had send him home straight away! Anyway very irresponsible agent who does not carry careful inspections of your property and does not look after it. Please do not go near them, if you don't want your house to be wracked!

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  6. A 5 -star review by ''

Andrew Sheldon, Viv Jenner
    RG23
    Andrew SheldonViv Jenner

Andrew, Viv and Paul have been extremely helpful in a difficult situation we found ourselves in with tenants wishing to leave before the end of their Contract. They handled the situation extremely professionally offering very helpful advice and allowing us all to meet a satisfactory conclusion in terminating the contract and finding another suitable tenant. We would highly recommend them all.

Comments on the Agents fees

“VERY REASONABLE FOR THE AMOUNT OF WORK UNDERTAKEN.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  7. A 5 -star review by ''

james wiggins, Linda Gunner
    Gu14
    £1095
    james wigginsLinda Gunner

A few months ago we started the process of finding an agency to manage our flat for us as we will be moving overseas for a while, and wanted things taken care of. James and the team came out as our preferred choice against some other local agencies for a number of reasons.
    I would always advocate that the key is about VALUE and not about being the cheapest or most expensive. It was important that the experience was good for us as well as tenants, and the team have delivered to expectations.
    I would have no hesitation recommending or using James and the team and it is a refreshing change from the heavy sales tactics of some other high street agencies. Well done.

8. 1

Sales (as a Vendor)
    Richard Oldaker, james wiggins
    gu14
    Sold Price
    £199950
    Richard Oldakerjames wiggins

The agent gave advice about photos and presentation of the property before putting up for sale. The agent arranged to be present at the viewings and the property was sold within five days of going on the market and for the full asking price.
    I would recommend this agent to other prospective sellers, as they offer a professional service, are very knowledgeable about property values and give realistic advice about the selling process.

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXCELLENT VALUE FOR THE SERVICE PROVIDED.”

9. 1

Branch:
    46-48 High Street (Slough) (Buckinghamshire)
    Sales (Prospective customer)
    Harveer Gandam, Louise Carolan
    SL1
    Sold Price
    £209950
    Harveer GandamLouise Carolan

I was willing to buy property through this estate agent and the whole experience was very disappointing. I did viewing couple of times and both time I had to wait for 45 minutes.

I asked owner's expectations and was willing to offer asking price but agent misguided me. I called multiple times but never got call back at any occasion. On next day i was told that vendor accepted someone else's offer. I was not given a fair chance in offer process and have received worst treatment so far of dealing with any agent.

10. 4

Branch:
    20 Worcester Street (Gloucester) (Gloucestershire)
    Kirsten Ingram
    gl1
    £450
    Kirsten Ingram

The most unhelpful, money grabbing bunch of people I have ever met. Their fees are through the roof which I wouldn't mind if they actually did some work. They are honestly clueless, my tenancy agreement didnt even have the address in question on it, there are several spelling errors which actually make sentences into something nonsensical, in my eyes something which should have been done a lot better considering the cash paid for it.

That aside, the property is lovely, but that has nothing to do with them.

As I do not deal with the landlord directly, i have to go through Martin & Co... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“COMPLETELY OVERPRICED. SOME FEES ARE UNDERSTANDABLE, BUT FOR THE SERVICE AND LEGAL DOCUMENTS I RECIEVED, THIS WAS NOT JUSTIFIED.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Completely overpriced. Some fees are understandable, but for the service and legal documents I recieved, this was not justified.”

11. 2

A 2 -star review by ''

Branch:
    4 Grove Road South (Southsea) (Portsmouth) (Hampshire)
    Manager Mr Thomas
    po5
    Manager Mr Thomas

Having a property for let and unhappy with current agent we asked for a visit to discuss our options. The gentleman who attended, I believe he told us he was the director, was very aggressive in his manner and made us feel pressured to make a decision at that time.
    We decided to put our property with another agent who seemed to be far more knowledgably and with a far better approach.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Change the aggressive hard sell.”

12. 1

Branch:
    29 High Street (High Wycombe) (Buckinghamshire)
    Hp11
    Would you use the agent again? No

Poor service... They advertise a property that they don't have access to it. Been postponed 4 times always on a short notice... And a week later they told me that they have an offer from someone else before I get the chance to see it. I wouldn't recommend. Please try and find some professional agents out there... They are time wasters...

13. 1

Branch:
    85 Darlington Street (Wolverhampton) (West Midlands)
    WV1
    £450
    Would you use the agent again? No

Worst real estate agent ever! I had a complete waste of time and money for an overpriced and insalubrious apartmeny.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  14. How much is my property worth?

FREE valuation
  15. A 5 -star review by ''

james wiggins, Richard Oldaker
    GU11
    james wigginsRichard Oldaker

Both James and Richard have provided excellent service, advice and guidance in my venture into the letting world. I am using them again for my next property. Thank you to all the team at Martin & Co Aldershot for your courteous manner in handling my business with you.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  16. A 5 -star review by ''

Richard Oldaker, james wiggins
    GU11
    Richard Oldakerjames wiggins

I was first contacted by Martin & Co through an advert I was running in a local paper to find a tenant, having dealt directly with renting properties myself, I was a little apprehensive as to what they would be able to do for me over and above what I was doing myself and it was going to cost extra in management fees for the privilege.

Five years on and they now look after all of my portfolio (except one), their service from finding a tenant, vetting, regular property visits and arranging maintenance as required has been faultless, always proactive and professional in their approach, all of the staff in the office appear follow the same ethos which must trickle down from James and Richard. Also, it is entirely possible that their fees are cost neutral when considering previous void periods and bad debt I had experienced in the past and their active approach to rent increases. I would recommend them to any landlord looking for an agent to manage their properties.

Comments on the Agents fees

“I BELIEVE THE FEES I AM PAYING WITH MARTIN & CO ARE IN LINE WITH OTHER AGENTS LOCALLY.”

17. 2

Paul Jenner, Viv Jenner
    RG22
    Paul JennerViv Jenner

I found this agent very, very rude, unpleasant, pushy, unhelpful and misleading in their information throughout the tenancy. Rent was increased without the knowledge of the Landlord.
    I would not recommend this agent at all, probably the worst agent in Basingstoke and certainly the most rude and unhelpful. Case with the Property Ombudsman and Deposit Protection Scheme currently underway.

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXTORTIONATE ON A REGULAR BASIS.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  18. A 5 -star review by ''

Branch:
    38 High Street (Banbury) (Oxfordshire)
    david Stone
    ox16
    £795
    david Stone

Renting is becoming a mine field David always looks after his landlords and is very knowledgeable if things go wrong which sometimes they can because unfortuneatly there are some bad tenants out there. He is always at the other end of the phone when needed and very hands on. Paul again is very knowledgeable and always at the other end of the phone to advise. I have used a lot of agents but never found one that is landlord friendly. This is not to say they don't help the tenants they most certainly do I always say if someone writes a negative comment there is always two sides to a story. Tenants. who are honest look after the landlords property and pay the rent on time are most welcome I would recommend Martins Banbury if you are a landlord or tenant

Max

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  19. A 5 -star review by ''

Branch:
    8-10 West St Helen Street (Abingdon) (Oxfordshire)
    ox14
    £725
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

We always receive excellent service from this agent, we find them to be very fair and professional in their approach to us, our tenants and our properties.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  20. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    43 High Street (Ringwood) (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    BH24
    Would you use the agent again? No

When I moved in the property I reported a couple of problems which were completely ignored, not even getting back to me.
    Around 3 weeks before moving out there was a gas safety inspection where I reported that I had recently had problems with the gas fire, the gas engineer informed me this was a part that wears out over time and he would book the fire in to be serviced. I left the property spotless with no issues but the gas engineer had not called to sort a day for the service. A few days after moving I spoke to staff in the Ringwood office about my deposit, I was informed there was no... (read more)

“RIDICULOUS FEES”

“Ridiculous fees”

21. 3

RG24
    £800
    Would you use the agent again? No

I'm lucky that my experience isn't as bad as some on here however Martin & Co Basingstoke's customer service is truly appalling. I moved in with my partner in September last year He had lived in the property for a few years prior to this. It was not managed by Martin & Co however he found the property through them. As I work in the industry I was checking all his paperwork was in place and he had everything he needed. I realised he didn't have his deposit ID so contacted Martin and Co to get this. Needless to say a week passed and I didn't hear anything from Martin & Co however I did get a phone call from my Landlord saying Martin & Co have told me you're leaving, why didn't you tell me?!. At no point did I say to Martin & Co we were vacating, we weren't and aren't but the fact that they are more concerned with money than customer service caused a huge problem between our Landlord and ourselves. The silver lining to this is that when we do come to vacate there is no way our Landlord will use them to find another Tenant.

22. 1

Branch:
    33 Liverpool Road (Manchester) (Greater Manchester)
    M6
    Would you use the agent again? No

The agreements and contracts do not match with what they are verbally agreed.
    There is no sense of responsibility and keeping the time frames agreed.
    A small sample of the issues follow.
    No access fob provided for the apartment while one is listed in the contract.
    No parking spot provided while one is listed in the contract.
    No meter readings, no key to the apartment.
    All the above tie very well with their fees, £350 for a flat rental.

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“The agreements and contracts do not match with what they are verbally agreed. There is no sense of responsibility and keeping the time frames agreed. When questions are raised you are being re-directed to the building maintenance instead of them owning any issues that arise. There are agents and property managers, apparently those two entities in their company never communicate. A small sample of the issues follow. No access fob provided for the apartment while one is listed in the contract. No parking spot provided while one is listed in the contract. No meter readings, no key to the apartment. Currently issues with the property are not dealt with in priority. I would class an open window in a first floor flat a security threat to start with let alone the temperature of the flat being incredibly low. Avoid no mater how good the dwelling is, you will have issues living in it with them managing it. All the above tie very well with their fees, £350 for a flat rental.”

23. 3

Branch:
    1 Charing Cross (Norwich) (Norfolk)
    Lucy Curtis, Katie Marshall
    NR4
    £1150
    Lucy CurtisKatie Marshall

The most horrendous experience I have ever had. Staff at Martin & Co are rude, obnoxious and totally unwilling to help; from the smallest cases to cupboard doors breaking (due to them being improperly fixed at the hinges in the first place), to very adverse living conditions such as horrendous mildew and now even the caving in of my bedroom ceiling. Over the past few years that I have lived in my student house, I have had nothing but trouble from this estate agents. Upon moving into the house, it was unclean (McDonald's bags and cartons everywhere, grease on kitchen surfaces, toilet... (read more)

“RIP OFF”

“Rip off”

24. View All Comments (1)by Matthew White  05/03/2015

This Review contains a number of significant inaccuracies. Firstly the damp has been confirmed by several experienced contractors to have been caused by the Tenant's lifestyle and failure to adequately control condensation within the property. This included (prior to the incident occurring) a highly qualified Damp Specialist, who, having undertaken a thorough investigation at the house, drew up a detailed report on the cause, which was shared with all of the occupants. Previously, on several occasions the Tenants had been issued with various guides to assist them and explaining how to... (read more)
  25. 4

Branch:
    191 Mill Road (Cambridge) (Cambridgeshire)
    CB1
    Would you use the agent again? No

We rented our house via Martin and Co. It was supposed to be rented out to a Chinese couple; instead the house was turned into a brothel where women were apparently trafficked into the country (what happened to the security check?).

We gave Martin and Co another chance...this time (despite so-called monthly checks on the house by Martin and Co) our property was damaged. The house stank of smoke (despite the contract stipulating it was a smoke-free house), the bathroom sink was smashed, a wall was mysteriously painted with gloss paint that had clearly turned bad, kitchen cupboards were hanging off their hinges. Mattresses where so dirty that I thought the tenants had taken the new ones we had left them with.

Martin and Co offered to repair the sink...REPAIR? (I suggested it be replaced). We cleaned the house AFTER Martin and Co had their cleaners in. The house still stank. Martin and Co will never get business from us again.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  26. How much is my property worth?

27. 2

Branch:
    33 Liverpool Road (Manchester) (Greater Manchester)
    M3
    £1200
    Would you use the agent again? No

I rented with Martin & Co Manchester Central for 24 months. Their initial service (before I gave them the holding deposit) was excellent and very friendly. After that, I have very few positive comments.

Our property was entered several times without permission or without the contractual 24 hours notice (setting off the alarm). Their contract renewal process was slow and requests for information/maintenance required continual chasing up.

Agreed appointments and dates were regularly missed, the check-in, check-out and renewal costs were excessive.

28. 4

Branch:
    11 Station Street (Newport) (Gwent)
    np
    £600
    Would you use the agent again? No

Arranged viewings with them, on arrival to the property after traveling over 60 miles, there was no representative from Martin & Co. Contacted the branch, was told that all viewings were cancelled without any reason.Highlighted this to the management with no response!! No apology nothing received!
    Most companies learn from customers giving them feedback after poor services but not them
    Best AVOID!!!

29. 3

Branch:
    Otter House 20 Otter Lane (Loughborough) (Leicestershire)
    Sandeep Fleet
    LE11
    Sandeep Fleet

Terrible is a generous rating. Have been a tenant in a dozen plus apartments over the last 10 years. This is comprehensively my worst experience. I never left a review for anything before. I couldn't let others fall into this trap by using them. Moved into a dirty flat with broken boiler, had to take time off work to let the repair man in because the agents didn't have any keys. It took them 4 weeks to find the gas meter in the building and 6 weeks to find the electric meter. Allocated parking spot was supplied as part of the tenancy, but without keys to the car park so I had to wait for others to come and go which made me late for work. I then got parking fines for not having a parking permit in my allocated parking space, which Martin and Co refused to pay for. Disgraceful service and behaviour from the staff. One to avoid at all costs!

30. View All Comments (1)by MACLoughborough  02/03/2015

Thank you for taking the time to review our agency. I know there have been some teething problems at your new apartment, all of which we have remedied for you at the earliest opportunity. The communal cupboard where the meters are housed were not accessible due the lock being forced locked. This had to be reported to the management company who manage the block. As soon as this was fixed, we were able to read the meters and provide readings. The property had been professionally cleaned throughout before we checked you in along with a gas safety check and boiler service. Sadly there... (read more)
  31. 2

Branch:
    63 High Street (Witney) (Oxfordshire)
    OX7
    £1440
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Extremely professional and very good value for money. I could not recommend them highly enough. Nothing is to much trouble.

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXTREMELY GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY.”

32. 2

Branch:
    45 Foregate Street (Worcester) (Hereford and Worcester)
    wr4
    £650
    Would you use the agent again? No

Martin and Co has to be the worst letting agency I have dealt with in my entire life. The lack of communication is shocking and it takes them a light year to come and sort out the property whenever theres any issue. All they think about is the ������������������ sign. They are rip offs. and their customer service is very very bad. the asian lady in the worcester branch and some lady called natasza are utterly disgusting.STAY AWAY FROM THIS EXCUSE OF AN AGENCY..

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEIR FEES ARE ABSOLUTELY RIDDICULOUS. THEY TAKE YOUR DEPOSIT FROM YOU IN THE NAME OF CLEANING IT TO IMMACULATE SPEC BUT I STRONGLY BELIEVE THEY DONT EVEN DO ANYTHING. WHEN WE MOVED INTO THE PROPERTY IS WAS DIRTY AND COVERED WITH COBWEBS AND THE CARPET WAS SH*T.”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“their fees are absolutely riddiculous. They take your deposit from you in the name of cleaning it to immaculate spec but i strongly believe they dont even do anything. when we moved into the property is was dirty and covered with cobwebs and the carpet was sh*t.”

33. 1

Branch:
    129 Heaton Moor Road Heaton Moor (Stockport) (Greater Manchester)
    SK5
    Would you use the agent again? No

I would advise everyone not to step foot near Martin & Co. They are by far the WORST agency we have ever been with.

Lack of communication on numerous occasions, meaning we had to constantly chase, when items broke.

Told they wanted access to the property as the landlord wanted to 're-mortgage' the house. Only to find a couple of days later they had taken images of all our belongings within the house & put it up for sale, without giving us a heads up.

Upon leaving the property, we knew they would try to get more money out of us somehow.

What a surprise it was to hear that the house 'wasn't up to their standards'. We went back in to the property to clean so we wouldn't be charged for anything. They then ever so kindly brought the fee down to £100 (which they said was quoted for by a cleaning company) for 'a new toilet seat & dusty skirting boards'.

When asked to see the quote we got nothing but trouble, surely if someone wants to take your money you ask to see proof of a quote?

We still haven't seen the quote & are still fighting this.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  34. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    84 Bury Old Road (Whitefield) (Manchester) (Greater Manchester)
    Shelley Roberts
    M26
    £425
    Shelley Roberts

I used Martin & Co letting agents in Feb 2014 and was shocked at the level of service from them. The nightmare all started when my cooker handle broke on my oven after a couple of months, was a very old oven when I moved into the property and at the time of moving in I was assured that it would be replaced. So I rang up to ask if the handle could be fixed I was told by a lady called Shelly she would look into it but in the mean while if I used my oven gloves to open the door when i needed to use the oven. After a few weeks after not hearing anything I rang and asked for an update, she... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“STILL WAITING FOR MY DEPOSIT BACK!”

What could Martin & Co do to change your mind??

“Still waiting for my deposit back!”

35. 1

Nw1
    Steve Murray

Very helpful through out the whole process. Martin and Co staff were friendly and polite and went out of their way to provide a good service. Easily contactable during working hours.
    They gave us all the information we wanted and made renting as easy as they could.
    Steve was particularly helpful during the checking out process, we were genuinely grateful.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  36. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    46-48 High Street (Slough) (Buckinghamshire)
    SL2
    Would you use the agent again? No

My experience with Martin & Co was terrible at every stage.
    They readily took my deposit and then did not pass my contract to the landlord. The end result was that the landlord withdrew the property on the day I was due to move in. Martin & Co promised to find me a new place but I was unable to get a quick response and I had to ask several times to get my deposit back. I would avoid using them again at all costs.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  37. A 2 -star review by ''

Branch:
    18 Church Street (Rugby) (Warwickshire)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    CV21
    Would you use the agent again? No

Me and my friend (who was searching with me) both arrived at the agency for our appointed viewing, the agent collected the keys and showed us down the road to the property.

Upon letting us in, we had our initial looks around the house however the agent failed to interact with us, offer us any points of interest about the house, mainly standing around as we examined and while we were upstairs, they remained on the ground floor.

After the viewing, the agent didn't ask any follow up questions, or offered us any further details about the property, we said goodbye and they left me and my friend to return to the agency office.