Browse agents by letter
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES
Get a Quote

Agent rating: 1.8 out of 5.0 based on 156 ratings. This website contains 154 user reviews of Connells.

Offices / Branches

• 30 recommend
  • 126 disapprove

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

One of the largest and most successful estate agency groups in the country with a network of over 150 branches throughout the Home Counties, South, West Country, Midlands and East Anglia.

Connells has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Connells, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Get a Quote

Customer Reviews  (Page of 6)

Page last updated on: 16-Apr-2014 14:03:53

1. A 1-star review by 'Derek' 3/4/2014

3 Moatfield Farm,
    TN23
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells Ashford, Kent – Avoid!

I’ll try to make this as brief as possible.

1) Sellers

If you are selling your house you are forced through their preferred solicitor to get your valuation. This solicitor is based somewhere up north. This solicitor is also extremely incompetent. Shoosmiths. You will not be able to push anything through, you will struggle to get answers, you will end up paying more than if you went to a local solicitor who you can walk your ID and paperwork to free of charge.

The estate agent is also incapable of filling in standard documents correctly first... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Explain the terms and conditions before having you see their \"advisor\" numerous times, including which banks they do and don\'t use for mortgages. Don\'t try and force a solicitor upon people. Don\'t force you to use their advisor for a mortgage and charge for a lifetime membership which we don\'t want.”

2. A 5-star review by 'Caroline' 11/3/2014

81-83 Darlington Street
    Sue Brotheridge
    WV6
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

When the private sale of my house fell through and I faced losing the house I was buying, Connells stepped in and got my house on the market and sold subject to contract, within about ten days. I cannot remember the name of the girl who came out to sell the house, but she was brilliant at reassuring me at a time when I was extremely upset that may lose my house purchase. She told me she'd sell my house and I believed her. All my subsequent communication with staff in the branch, was professional and friendly from there on in, and I felt absolute faith in the team throughout the process. A hiccup at the end that threatened the entire chain, was quickly resolved by Connells, and they saved the day for a second time.

After the poor service I received from an estate agent last time I bought and sold a house, I vowed to do it privately next time, but I would recommend Connells to anyone wishing to sell a property.

3. View All Comments (1)by Leecooke  11/03/2014

Thank you so much for your comments,selling houses can be very stressful that's why I have a full time customer care manager in Sue,my team and I really do care about our customers and we are so glad your another happy customer THANK YOU.

A 1-star review by 'Con-ners' 5/3/2014

5 Montagu Street
    NN15
    Would you use the agent again? No

I cannot emphasise enough how absolutley disgustingly we have been treated by this "company". We are now seeking compensation through the courts and are expected to win hands down.
    We have been subjected to - Lies, bullying, extortion, and just about anything else you can imagine.

We moved into a large house (our rent is just shy of £1000pcm) and we only had a rushed first visit due to the existing tenants being unaware we were coming. We repeatedly asked for a 2nd viewing, denied. The excuse was that the exiting tenants were uncontactable. To cut a very long, and sad story... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Been honest, Known the laws, Known their job, Learned some respect, Had proper training,”

A 1-star review by 'Con-ners' 5/3/2014

86 High Street
    Krishan Khatri
    WD23
    Would you use the agent again? No

I was browsing Rightmove one day and saw a property I liked in Bushey, after viewing the property I subsequently made an offer.

Several hours later I got a call from Krishan Khatri (mortgage advisor), telling me that they have had several offers on the property and that the vendor wanted to keep all applications in house (lies).

I was then pressured because I wanted the property to drop my personal mortgage broker and use Krishan Khatri Connells mortgage advisor.

After meeting Krishan Khatri he was an extremely inexperienced young chap who had no idea what he was doing (beware). I ended up practically running the whole application myself, they are a bunch of cowboys. I run a success business and would never employ Krishan as he is simply in capable of doing the simplest of tasks. Frankly I am disgusted by the service I have received and will taking this further with the FSA.

7. 2

A 2-star review by 'Mrs F' 22/2/2014

31 Carfax
    Katie Bone
    RH12
    Would you use the agent again? No

I was disappointed with the level of service I received from Connells. Having had my full asking price offer accepted on a 2 bed flat, I was surprised to be treated with an increasing lack of courtesy by the estate agent as the process did not move at the speed she had obviously promised the vendor. Even though we were still comfortably within the timeline the agent had set, she seemed not to want to keep the sale going, and instead informed me - after the fact - that the flat was back on the market. I withdrew from the purchase and instead bought another flat in the same block through a different agent. I don't like being mucked around, and Connells definitely mucked me around. Given how many estate agents there are in Horsham, luckily I don't need to use them again.

8. 1

A 5-star review by 'Cathy Cheadle' 11/2/2014

81-83 Darlington Street
    Lee Cooke
    WV13
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I appointed Connells after having been very disappointed with another agent. There was some urgency as it was Autumn when I changed agents.
    Lee came to see me very quickly and gave me an honest appraisal of the house and what he felt needed to be done in order to present it at its best. He was also frank about what he thought it should be marketed for and why.
    The house was on the market very quickly and I was pleased with the presentation. I immediately started to have viewings, and these continued until the house was sold after a short period of time. I felt that all of the staff at... (read more)

9. View All Comments (1)by Lee Cooke  13/02/2014

Thank you so much Cathy, service levels and making customers happy is very important to me and my team at Wolverhampton, it's always a great feeling when a house has been on the market with another agent with no joy and Connells manage to find you a buyer.What an absolute pleasure.....also thank you for the lovely chocolates.
  10. 4

A 1-star review by 'killershadow' 7/2/2014

38 New Union Street
    Would you use the agent again? No

Total and utter disgrace the way these muppets handle things.

I had a call from one of their reps asking me to visit their branch with ID such as passport/wage slip/proof of deposit to buy/proof of current address before i could view a property.

So i went there with the documents requested and all they did was went through my finances to arrange a mortgage for me. I told them i am going else where for the mortgage and anyhow once the calculations were done i was told i can afford the repayments and should be no problem and all that remains was to arrange viewing.

I was advised i will... (read more)

11. A 5-star review by 'A happy customer experience' 6/2/2014

38 Chequer Street
    AL1
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

From start to finish my experience with the connells team was exceptional. Being the first time we had moved house in many years and with so many estate agents to choose from, we felt we should use a big outfit, connells fulfilled their promises in a very professional manor. Open day viewings resulting in a prompt sale at the price recommended. Our buyer had some issues and in turn we had some delays with our purchase. Sarah progressed our sale, keeping us informed and patiently updated throughout, to be fair, we likely would of been lost without her. I would happily recommend connells St. Albans to anyone looking for a professional and efficient agency. Good luck with your move and I hope my review helps.

12. A 5-star review by 'R H Stewart-MacDonald' 4/2/2014

11b Meer Street
    Morny Coubert, Michelle Not known
    CV37
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

In the late Spring of 2013 I purchased a studio flat in Stratford-Upon-Avon as a buy-to-let. The flat was being marketed by Connells. The sales department of the Stratford branch expedited their part in the purchasing process with admirable efficiency. The rental department then agreed to manage the flat, continuing the arrangement with the previous owner. Within a month of the sale's completion a suitable tenant had been found. Throughout the initial stages of locating a suitable tenant and in particular, the pursuit of references and assembly of the tenancy agreement (which included the... (read more)

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'Shandy' 28/1/2014

6 Station Parade
    SG6
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells deceived me into thinking i only had to pay £99 plus vat for HIP pack back in 2009. Then 17 months later and only 3 viewings they took my house off the market and said i had to pay them £465.07. Now nearly 5 years later its nearly £1000 and taking me to court. Has anyone else been in this situation with connells HIP pack.

2. 1

A 1-star review by 'owenm' 14/1/2014

19 High Street North
    LU6
    Would you use the agent again? No

We sold a property through them and it was acceptable enough although rather slow, however when we also bought a property through them we made the mistake of taking the free legal's incentive where the seller gets £1000 less and the buyer has to get a mortgage and conveyance services through Connells. We did this knowing that we would not be getting the best deal as the mortgage advice was not great and over priced and the rates and choice were pretty poor. The solicitors we had to use for the purchase were also over priced and slow, however this would have been acceptable until the seller decided that the incentive was unfair on them and so we ended up having to pay the £1000 we supposedly saved by using the incentive. So in effect we paid £2000 for poor legal service and poor mortgage advice. DO NOT TAKE UP THIS INCENTIVE WHEN BUYING OR SELLING. I will be lodging a formal complaint about the service but wanted to post this so that I can at least save one other person from taking it out.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Not offered the free legal\'s incentive to us and responded quicker to any requests for information.”

A 2-star review by 'Ruth' 14/1/2014

20 Salisbury Street
    DT11
    Would you use the agent again? No

Very frustrating, trying to buy a property but it seems that every property they are advertising has been sold. When I asked about why they are still advertised I was asked if I would like to have an appointment at the branch so I could go on the Premier Buying list. Always suspicious and cautious I went along wondering what the catch was going to be. Yes, of course there is one and I realised what it was. The interview was with their financial adviser who took all my details and explained that the cost of using her would be £400. I got the impression that every house I ring up about will most likely already have a buyer as I'm not going to be using their financial adviser. Also the salesman lied to me about the price a house has recently sold for - I know he did as I know the owner!

Shan't be going back there - thankfully there are plenty more Estate Agents in Blandford!

“Been honest.”

4. 3

A 1-star review by 'Julie' 9/1/2014

Unit 4 The Shields Retail Centre Gloucester Road North Filton
    BS10
    Would you use the agent again? No

Abysmal customer service. We were unwise enough to also use the solicitor linked to their company. Worst mistake we could of made. Neither the estate agents connells or the solicitors involved bothered returning calls to either ourselves or the person buying the property who is also unfortunate enough to be using Connells. Constantly make promises they cant keep, lie about the reasons for delaying the sale going through, majorly breached Data Protection by giving out personal information about my partner to someone they had no right giving it to, we are now reporting them to the Property Ombudsman. If you are thinking of using this branch steer clear, their lack of care and professionalism is absolutely appalling. Truly an awful branch of Connells, the staff there should be ashamed of themselves

A 1-star review by 'Frustrated' 3/1/2014

42 Allhallows
    EN1
    Would you use the agent again? No

Applied for a mortgage via Lloyds TSB . As part of their procedure I had to get a valuation report so Lloyds TSB passed the valuation process to Colleys Surveyors ( Part of Lloyds TSB Group) Colleys then passed the work to be done by Connell's . Surveyor visited the premises and spent no more than 10 minutes and left. Lloyds TSB debited my account for £450.00. For this I received a standard 3 pages docuemnt stating
    1) Description - 3 lines
    2) Construction - 3 lines
    3) Valuation and market Comment - ' In its present condition and with the current state of the property market my valuation is ??'
    4) 'Properties of this type and age in this neighbourhood are valued between ?? and ?? '
    WHAT A RIP OFF BETWEEN BANK AND ESTATE AGENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Be more professional in his report!!”

6. 2

A 1-star review by 'Tim' 24/12/2013

Richard Hill, Will Clueless
    MK5
    Would you use the agent again? No

Clueless, dishonest and unprofessional- avoid at all costs.
    Richard 'sold' our flat on 4 separate occasions, but each fell through as all of the potential vendors had not been checked for eligibility, failed credit scores etc... Seemingly it had not occurred to anyone at the office to set up a meeting with their onsite mortgage advisor before allowing them to submit offers on properties they couldn't afford.
    The property was left vacant for 9 months whilst Connells flapped about periodically looking for buyers, unfortunately after every viewing my property was treated with disdain- mud... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Financially assessed vendors. Left my property clean. Left my property secure. Returned phone calls.”

7. A 1-star review by 'Kerstin Mason' 17/12/2013

45 Marlowes
    HP3
    Would you use the agent again? No

We contacted the Hemel Hempstead branch of Connells earlier this year to get an idea of the market value of our property. One of their staff came around promptly and left a generally competent impression. Two minor points we did not like at the time, however we decided not get too annoyed: (1) He kept addressing us as "guys" (no, we are not two men!) and (2) he got the stamp duty bands wrong and even after querying whether it was really £300k and not £250k for the lower end of 3%, he said £300k was correct. We were also given a glossy marketing brochure promoting the agency's... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“accept that \"no\" really means \"no\", you lost business by being too persistent”

8. 2

A 2-star review by 'Notimpressedtobehonest' 16/12/2013

Kat , Simon Bristol
    BS10
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells were very unhelpful and rude to myself and two housemates this November - December when trying to rent a property. I work in customer service myself and would be fired for half the things Connells did to us. Here are some of the problems we had with them:

We were refused a request to speak to the landlord about general inquiries.
    We were accused of lying about our jobs when there was a mistake in the reference check.
    We had to pay unexpected charges for a guarantor check even though this was never mentioned before we signed the contract.
    Our agent Kat was almost always off work... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Quit the job or retrain.”

9. 4

A 1-star review by 'Robert' 6/12/2013

7/8 Euston Place
    vanessa mills
    CV32
    Would you use the agent again? No

In general terms I find Connells Leamington Spa to be unreliable when it comes to viewings, unresponsive to telephone enquiries and often ignore messages, and arrogant. Ms Mills should be singled out as one of the rudest and most arrogant estate agents you will ever encounter. She has the habit of answering questions before posed and then, when it is clear she is wrong, telling you she has 23 years experience as an estate agent and is the area manager. Oh, that's alright then!

I am a professional landlord and a chartered surveyor and no longer even view properties they are marketing. It... (read more)

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'angry' 5/12/2013

57 High Street
    RH11
    Would you use the agent again? No

Another awful agency in a sea of awful agencies. Don't buy from them as they will lead you into unnecessary credit checks which will effect your credit score when they are well aware your offer has not been accepted. They told us that our offer was very good when we put in asking price for a property but wanted various credit checks etc to assure the vendor we could substantiate our offer. We did all this having taken time off work and they agreed we were in a good financial position but the vendor had already accepted an offer from s cash buyer. Great.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“The agent should not have lead us to believe our offer would be accepted upon a credit check when they already had a cash buyer.”

1. A 5-star review by 'Joe Cox' 2/12/2013

Ash
    SP10
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I pride myself on being straight forward to deal with and my word is my bond. I have to say Ash dealt with my sale in the same manner. I was really appreciative of the consistent respect and honest way I was treated. Keep up the good work.

2. A 1-star review by 'julia hellon' 22/11/2013

70-76 Birmingham Street
    patrick dixon
    HP18
    Would you use the agent again? No

The problems are to extent to go into, so this what connells allowed to hapen being to our family home albeit they were informed and have had numerous e.mails phone calls, visits to our propery by ourselves and by them?? complaints via neighbours, nothing has ever and is still not being resolved the rent from the tenants have never ever been payed on time, we have to chase connells sometimes being 2months in arrears.. here is a list of what the tenants have done to date to our home
    broken velux window,broken spidal to staircase,,radiator cover ripped off and missing,furniture we left missing... (read more)

3. A 1-star review by 'buyer' 21/11/2013

86 High Street
    BUSH
    Would you use the agent again? No

very poor services with connells agents.we bought out first home with connells and were very dissapointed in their lack of professionalism and ethics.Do Not Use them

A 1-star review by 'Sam' 20/11/2013

MK8
    Would you use the agent again? No

We have recently rented through Connells MK branch and have had a very poor experience. The communication was very poor throughout with no clear process of what should be happening when. We had to keep chasing for small things and ended going in personally to get a response. The move out date of the previous occupant and move in date for us was arranged on the same day - leaving very limited time for inventory to be done in the middle. Considering the amount of fees charged and the big name associated with this agent, we were highly disapppointed with the experience.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Communicate clearly Have a defined process and checklist for what shoud happen, when Respond to emails Remember information by making notes instead of asking the same question again and again Write the correct information on tenancy paperwork and check facts before providing incorrect information Instead of saying, \'I don\'t deal with that\' after taking our money, provide a nominated point of contact in an appropriate manner and follow through to ensure service is maintained.”

A 5-star review by 'Mr parrot' 19/11/2013

3 High Street
    Jonathan
    BH23
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I was very please with the service Jonathan provided when giving me a valuation on my investment property that I did choose to use Connells in Christchurch to market it!

After just two days of my property being on the market I had 3 offers! While dealing with selling my house Jordan was very helpful and informative keeping me updated with every step.

Overall I would use the Connells Christchurch team again.

6. A 1-star review by 'Nagem' 16/11/2013

83 George Street
    , Wrocław Wrocław
    LU2
    Would you use the agent again? No

The agent's customer service is so poor and disgraceful. We want to view two properties. He agreed on the day but asked for the certain time so we agreed even it was not most convenient for us but wanted to be kind. What was our surprise when we met other peoples at this same time - he basically did open house in the seller property. I understand that there was lots of interest in the houses however still think that the viewing arrange every 15 minutes will be much more professional giving the time and space for proper viewing. Definitely he just wanted to show us that the interest is so... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Change their attitude and customer service also for potential buyers.”

7. A 1-star review by 'Anon' 15/11/2013

38 Chequer Street
    AL1
    Would you use the agent again? No

Shocking service. People turned up with no appointment to view the property. One agent had a telephone argument with her office in front of both me and the customers who were viewing. Avoid.

8. A 2-star review by 'Ann' 14/11/2013

MK
    Would you use the agent again? No

We viewed 151 Whalley Drive, Bletchley (July 2013) with Connells. The property needed lots of work . We see the property back on the market at 384,950 now (Nov2013) but rightmove and the estate agents have not published the price they paid for it. We believe that the offer we made was excepted but Connells told us the vendor wouldn't take that offer. 2 weeks later the property was sold. It seems very suspicious why the purchase price has not been shown, whereas other properties we looked at were sold after this property was sold and have all shown how much was paid for them. There is another estate agent selling this property now, Ryhen Jordan. It looks like the estate agents are all working together in the property guzumping scam. If you are not an estate agent you don't stand a chance. They are trying to make 100K+ on this property. This really needs to be exposed.

9. 1

A 1-star review by 'Pavo' 8/11/2013

46 London Road
    Lee Williams, Charlotte Pantling
    SO17
    Would you use the agent again? No

Absolutely terrible service consider the £399 fee and further referral fee they got from the mortgage company. It took them over 3 months to get a mortgage offer to me. Extremely poor communication between them and the mortgage company which resulted in me speaking directly with the mortgage company to resolve (doing their job for them). I had to endless chase them and they never returned calls. DO NOT USE.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“The agent could have communicated better and been more organised.”

10. A 1-star review by 'Emotionally Drained' 31/10/2013

26A Fyfield Barrow The Walnut Tree Local Centre
    MK10
    Would you use the agent again? No

We had found a property we wanted to buy with Connells main office in CMK and as we hadn't yet advertised our property with anyone they offered us a discounted fee (because we were going to buy through them) to advertise it through them. So we said yes.

We had been dealing with people from the main CMK office, but to sell it went over to the Walnut Tree office (the other side of the city), with people we had never met or spoken to. Our experience and opinion at this time with Connells was that the lady who showed us round the house we wanted to buy, Bernie, was lovely and we hoped all... (read more)

1. A 1-star review by 'Man' 27/10/2013

EN3
    Would you use the agent again? No

The company has no ethics whatsoever, after we paid the fees to have a surveyor, we were told that they will send someone after a month, having waited for so long, we were contacted again and were told that the surveyor had an emergency, hence he would be unable to come to our place. we had to take unpaid leave from work only to find a date which is appropriate to the surveyor.

The surveyor was very unprofessional, rude and had no consideration of our needs as seller. Our property is a new build, we have lived there for only 2 years, so there's still 8 years warranty on the electrical, insulation and gas appliances, however, the surveyor had no interest in the property itself. He was out in 5 minutes, was very brief during the visit.

This is the worst company we have dealt with and would strongly advise anyone to have a survey conducted by them.

They have no sense of diligence or responsibility or respect towards their customers.

2. 3

A 1-star review by 'Don\'t use Connells' 21/10/2013

BH12
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells Estate Agents Poole Dorset. Having had the very unpleasant experience of having to purchase a property through them I feel it necessary to outline how unprofessional and untrustworthy they are. Now at this point I know what you're thinking, "Estate Agents, untrustworthy, surly not?" well I am afraid to say it is true, some of them I have met are good but these are not.

Now before I rant on I would like to outline this one amazing fact that I discovered. Throughout the process of buying and selling a home you are in contact with various different professionals that have... (read more)

“Close the branch”

A 1-star review by 'Disgruntled' 17/9/2013

6 Hampden Square
    BH31
    Would you use the agent again? No

CONnells - the clue is in the name! There is a complete disparity between the service they claim to provide with the stark reality of what actually happens! I was promised my house would be managed locally in branch using contractors I trusted, that my wishes regarding my tenants would be taken on board and passed on, and that any issues would be dealt with promptly and efficiently by a named lettings manager as point of contact. In 10 months my house was passed through 3 branches, 4 lettings managers, no information was passed on either in house or to my tenants, essential repairs were not carried out within a reasonable time, charges which were not part of the contract were slipped in and communications were either ignored and calls not returned by staff who were complacent at best and downright rude at worst! The truth about Connells is that they're only interested in your cash. The moment you sign a contract is the point at which their interest ends! Use them at your peril....

4. 1

A 1-star review by 'A regretful cumstomer!' 10/9/2013

MK2
    Would you use the agent again? No

I have purchased and sold a few houses over the years, and also thought EA's were manageable with a little prompting and pushing, but these guys are a complete joke. They way of business is no better than a few snotty kids in a playground not having a clue what to do!

My reasons are as follows:

- Insisting you can only purchase a property through them if you use there Mortgage adviser
    - Continue to take viewings on properties that have a sale agreed on them
    - Try to play you the whole process to get a bigger offer (1.5% of £1k is only £15 to the office and a max of £1.50 to the sales neg if they take a 10% commission...is it really worth it?!)

Honestly there isn't much skill to selling a house, as the house will usually sell itself...but how these guys complicated matters, I'll never understand! I think they struggle to tie their shoelaces on the morning!

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Get some professional staff is that know what they\'re doing.”

5. 2

A 1-star review by 'Connells are con artists' 19/8/2013

85 Granby Street
    LE3
    Would you use the agent again? No

Absolutely shocking I went in to view properties to buy staff seemed disinterested in talking to me and more interested in arguing between themselves, I found staff rude and very unhelpful and also looking into small when selling complete and utter con artists. Other people had mentioned this in the past however wasn't till I noticed that they charge you £150 for premium listing when this is FREE with right move. USE CONNELLS AT YOUR PERIL worst estate agent I have ever had the mis fortune of going into!

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Do not rip people have staff that actually want to sell you house”

6. View All Comments (1)by Connells Leicester  25/10/2013

Thank you for your feedback, your comments have been forwarded to the team who will be taking your comments on Board. We would like to point out however that we do not charge £150 for a Premium Display, and having checked today Rightmove charge £125 if you go direct. Should you require any further clarification please contact us at our new city centre office 22-24 Halford St 0116 2620022
  7. 3

A 2-star review by 'Sunshine' 2/8/2013

65 North Street
    CO
    Would you use the agent again? No

Went with Connells as it had received awards and was a large company so expected great things. We had our property on with them for sale for 10 weeks and during those ten weeks we had no viewers and not one call from them to review our property sale particulars. I rang them to reduce the price, I rang to amend the photos. The fact that they give out the paperwork saying how they regularly keep in touch and review is rubbish. Not one call from them in ten weeks.Moved onto a different agent now and so much better. It just shows that the biggest company offers the smallest service once you have signed the contract.

8. 2

A 1-star review by 'Sue Malone' 1/8/2013

1 Wote Street
    CV8
    Would you use the agent again? No

DO NOT USE CONNELLS IN RUGBY, WARWICKSHIRE. I came home after a weekend away, only to find my doors unlocked. Connells had left my doors unlocked after a viewing, along with most of the lights on in the house. The Manager was very disinterested and passed the problem back to the young man who did the viewing. A very weak apology was offered.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Offered a full apology and refund of fee\'s for selling the property”

9. 1

A 1-star review by 'wilkinson' 28/7/2013

51 Hyde Road
    TQ3
    Would you use the agent again? No

The offer was accepted on this property and we contacted our surveyor who could not do this service for two weeks. Then he had to cancel our Friday appointment and arrange the next Tuesday he said he would hand deliver the survey but it did not arrive until Friday (3 days after the survey was done) The surveyor had to go into hospital the day it was delivered and we saw several points that needed to be discussed with the surveyor so when we were getting emails from jenny foster saying we had not had the searches done we rang several times to tell her this but she was not in. So we emailed her... (read more)

10. A 5-star review by 'Mr G & Mrs J Smith' 26/7/2013

19 Market Street
    SO50
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

The whole team were very professional and VERY understanding of our needs. We sold our property after being there for 20 years so were very nervous customers. No question was left unanswered, every call returned (and there were many) every query received a prompt reply.

To sum up - a caring team who gave you all the information you required without all the waffle.

We would highly recommend them.

11. A 4-star review by 'Dave & Geoff B' 16/7/2013

409 Shirley Road Shirley
    Claire Bushell, Southampton Southampton
    SO15
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Connells are not by any means the cheapest Agents to use to sell your property. They may also initially suggest an asking price which is not realistically achievable (this may also force up the agents fee) but despite this the sale price achieved for our property was a fair bit more than any of the other Agents valued the property for, so Well Done to Claire/Connells.
    We found Claire to be a professional sales person in every respect and we wouldn't hesitate to place a property with Connells in the future.
    Thanks and regards
    Dave & Geoff

1. A 5-star review by 'Tom Courtney' 15/7/2013

BH14
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I found Mel to be extremely helpful. He took the time to explain all of the options and answer any questions I had. Beyond that he was also extremely helpful in liaising with my solicitors to ensure all if the details were correct and things moved along smoothly. Excellent service from someone who really cares for the work he is doing on his customers behalf.

2. A 5-star review by 'Zoe' 7/7/2013

BH15
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I only went to see Mel on the off chance to see if there was a possibility of getting a mortgage on my own and now i have my own little flat.He was very helpful and made the whole mortgage thing easier to understand. He went above and beyond his role in helping me and would recommend him to anyone that needed mortgage advice, he made the whole thing relatively painless.

A 1-star review by 'Connells' 3/7/2013

B32
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells contact me after I registered via rightmove for several Estate Agents. They rang for information regards my sale, and wished to come for a valuation, which was arranged. Firstly the agent from the branch in Bearwood didn't turn up, I rang to inquire where they were only to be informed the information was inacurate and had gone to another branch, finally the Harborne Branch rang informing that they could't do the valuation until the following week, I said this was to late and would find another Agent. The atitutude was appalling once I had said I would find another agent they virtually put down the phone

Connells Harborne not only lost the sale of my property but would certainly not recommend this branch, all that said my sister had nothing but good service from the Oldbury Branch.

A 1-star review by 'Mike N' 20/6/2013

32 Mannamead Road
    PL6
    Would you use the agent again? No

Morgage mis-advice!!! As a by to let landlord I used them to advise me on mortgages but it was so inefficient it delayed the sale for a considerable time and left me well out of pocket due to extra solicitors and building society costs. Regrettably buy to let financial advice is not covered by the FSA so Connells can do what they want and their head office could not care less. If you care about your finances use another advisor.

5. 4

A 1-star review by '101Seagulls' 10/6/2013

RG28
    Would you use the agent again? No

Worst experience of my life! The particulars of my flat were appalling, full of spelling mistakes, and missing words, terrible grammatical errors and key details missing. The 'revised' particulars still contained all the original errors and took an amazing 15 days to reach me. A letter dated the 29th May was not posted out until the 3rd June - it was a franked letter so the date it went through their franking machine cannot be disputed as it was clearly on the envelope! After a staggering 25 days of total incompetence the property never was actually marketed because the property... (read more)

6. 4

A 2-star review by 'Charles' 1/6/2013

117 Old Christchurch Road
    BH1
    Would you use the agent again? No

Be very aware of using Connells if you hope to sell your home. My experience has been very negative.

The property I was hoping to sell has been on their books for over 2 years, all they want to do is lower and lower the price - of course it will then sell as it will be virtually given away! The price of the property was originally set following the advice of Connell's staff...
    I have gone through countless 'negotiators' and several Branch Managers at their central Bournemouth office - until that was closed down with one weeks' notice and my business transferred to another branch... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Acted in a professional way promoting the property that had been on their books for a long time. Had a consistent team of staff in their office rather than a high turnover of negotiators and managers. Undertaken requests of the vendor ie take up to date photographs of the property.”

7. View All Comments (1)by forgetmenot  18/07/2013

i have been on the market for just over a year, i was continuosly asked to lower my asking price, then they added investor potential to the website without telling me, which i found means get this property 40% less than market value, then they pressured me into accepting a offer £30.000 less than the asking price i said no but they of course only want their commision so i took my property of the market and recieved charges for doing so. as above im not giving it away! paignton branch !
  8. 5

A 1-star review by 'Bektin' 19/5/2013

4 Copthorne Bank
    RH10

Connells Crawley – Connells mortgage or no sale! Extreme Lying

I just want to share my shocking experience with the estate agents Connells Crawley branch. Basically, myself and my husband viewed a property and put in an offer of the asking price. We were told by Connells that this was the price the seller wanted, they would not take a lower offer and were not interested in asking for a higher offer as they did not want to mess around, they really wanted a quick sale. Connells pressured us to try to talk to their in house financial advisor to obtain a mortgage from Connells; we... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They should not have lied to us or blocked our purchase”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (3) Feature This Review
  9. View All Comments (3)by pavol  12/07/2013

thank you for your review, it was very helpful to us, as we are looking to purchase a property with the Connels. we have/had similar experience with the connels branch in poole. we put an offer and they are trying to bully us into taking mortgage through them,otherwise we might lose the property, although it is obvious the products they are offering are not as good as other banks offer. the profit would be on their side.
  10. 6

A 1-star review by 'Kifberto' 30/4/2013

Unit 2 Caxton House Broad Street
    B23
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells are worse than useless, they actually cost me money! Connells are great at talking the talk when you 1st see them but useless when it comes to actually letting out your property. They found us a tenant after a week. Check were done at the last minute and she turned out to be on a temp contract and was unable to provide a guarantor.
    For another 2 months Connells then showed tenants who were not interested in the property round. They seemed to always have the same story, a couple with 2 or 3 kids or a kid on the way who said the property was too small with it being a 2 bed. I did ask... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“shown more suitable prospects around. Made background checks earlier and not destroyed my property”

11. A 5-star review by 'Garagerick' 30/4/2013

1 Regent Street Kingswood
    BS30
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Brilliant. Got me a great price and told me to decline offers (which i would h ave accepted) because they believed they coul get me more. Very professional. Sold and bought 3 houses through Connells and always had great service. Highly recommend!

12. 6

A 1-star review by 'Vectra' 24/3/2013

BS9
    Would you use the agent again? No

We chose full management at 10% plus VAT. What did they do?
    Lied about electric test report then told me I was mistaken about what they had told me. Lied about status of gas report which resulted in last minute checks being required before tenant moved in. Connells are excellent at spending your money without any consultation with landlord. Once gave me an estimate for £2k of work to repair property that wasn't even mine. Failed to manage the property in terms of checking leak had not spread. Charged me for blockage under sink when the ASTA clearly stated it was responsibilty of tenant.... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They need to employ experienced people rather than what appears to be the cheapest available.”

13. 5

A 2-star review by 'Matt' 16/3/2013

5 Wycombe Place
    AL6
    Would you use the agent again? No

I wouldn't use this firm again for several reasons. My main reason for dissatisfaction was their approach to getting me to sign their sales contract, which was basically not to highlight some of the main clauses and left it for me to find out whilst reading the small print. For example, wanting to tie me in for a 26 week period - way beyond what any other agents wanted. Also, we had a discussion about commission and agreed 1%. Was I wrong to assume that this would be 1% of the sale price? Actually, when the agent put it in the contract he made it 1% of the asking price but didn't clarify... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“To be up front and honest about the contract - taking the time to explain the clauses and the associated costs. Use more experienced staff to show properties.”

14. 1

A 1-star review by 'Barbara & Barry Porter' 5/3/2013

1 Wote Street
    RG26
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

All staff at this branch were most helpful - sold our property in 3 weeks to the day and from 4 viewings, 3 made offers and we accepted the asking price offer. We were advised at every development and would have no hesitation in recommending Connells. Our only regret is that as we are going to Wales Connells are unable to help us although we are still using Right Move.

15. 8

A 1-star review by 'Useless would be an improvement for Connells' 3/3/2013

8 Market Place
    SG1
    Would you use the agent again? No

We unfortunately signed up with Connells to sell our property and then spent the next few months wishing that the ground might swallow us, or them - whichever would be the quickest way of ridding us of them. I could rant for a very, very long time about how awful these people were, but they aren't deserving of my time or anybody else's. So, the short, short version:

Things Connells are good at: being exquisitely lazy, lies, creating phantom buyers, making up reasons why said buyers don't turn up, being rude, not apologising for the abundance of shortcomings experienced, not returning... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“The job they\'re paid to do.”

16. 3

A 1-star review by 'San' 28/2/2013

Lombard House, 145 Great Charles Street
    B3
    Would you use the agent again? No

We found the photos taken of our property very poor, had to get them taken for a second time and on many occasions re-clarify the details on council tax, service and ground rent. They didn't do many of the viewings and we had to push them as they were expecting us to help with mid week day time viewings. Their comms could be better, even our buyer raised with us his displeasure with them. They turned up for a viewing in the day without checking first and disturbed my girlfriend who had come off a night shift and thought it was a burglar. Took our property off right move prior to exchange without consent.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Supplied accurate information to potential buyers about the property running costs, that were supplied many times, take more care to detail on the photos of the property, taken more if the viewings and booked them properly.”

17. 5

A 1-star review by 'Newbold News' 26/2/2013

11b Meer Street
    CV37
    Would you use the agent again? No

Agent was apathetic and not interested. Always wanted me to do the viewings. I always had to chase for feedback 5-6 times. Still waiting to here back from the girl at the office via my last viewing although she promised to my face would call me back within the hour.

Out of the dozen views we had 1/2 were no shows and never called to cancel our were sick coming the next week - but never came. This flurry of activity seem to coencide with me terminating my contract and happed in the notcie period.

The girl from the agence turned up oneday on a saturday said she was here for the... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“ON the whole they could have just done their job properly and actually be bothered. Train their staff . Give feedback - not expect the client to chase.”

18. 1

A 5-star review by 'Katie Tree' 23/1/2013

8/9 South Street
    Martyn Pollard
    EX1
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I have used Connells when selling previous properties and have found them to be the most pro-active, interested, professional and likeable team. From placing our property on to the market to the point of completion I was kept fully updated on a weekly basis and sometimes more frequently. All the staff were more than helpful, always bubbly and cheerful and I found them a joy to deal with. I have recommended Connells to friends and in the future when selling anything more I would not hesitate to use them on every single occassion.

19. 3

A 1-star review by 'sdalsan86' 18/1/2013

PO9
    Would you use the agent again? No

Awful service, bryan lied left right and centre to extort money, have taken it to an ombudsman but please save yourself and get a mortgage and property from a company that can be trusted.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“been a decent human with a soul.”

20. 5

A 1-star review by 'Steve' 17/1/2013

WS5
    Would you use the agent again? No

The service and customer care from Walsall branch of Connells I found to be very below par. On pointing out their shortcomings didn't even offer an apology.
    1) I was badly advised as to the value of the property I was selling.
    2) I was mislead in to paying for an EPC despite being told at the time of signing that all fees in this area were waived
    3) On one of the viewings they left my house alarm off, didn't lock the front door and left the curtains wide open. No apology or recognition that was a problem. (Squatters might see that as an opportunity Connells!!!)
    4) Their sales staff... (read more)

21. View All Comments (1)by Nicole  12/03/2013

Sounds to me that your house was overpriced. You say you we're misled on the price but in another sentence say you wanted offers over?? Every estate agent in the land wants to sell your house, that's how they make a living, the fact that this branch was still booking viewings to the end shows that yet were doing they're job correctly. On another note surely if you were selling a house with an estate agent, wouldn't you go meet the team and maybe ask them all to visit your property so they could sell it more enthusiastically over the phone. Look at all these reviews and you'll see a tend, happy customers are realistically priced and sell, overpriced homes do not and that is when the vendor seems to become irate. Simples.
  22. 1

A 5-star review by 'SANDRA' 7/1/2013

Unit 2 Caxton House Broad Street
    CB23
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

From previous experience i was dreading buying a property, however my experince with Connells in Cambourne from day 1 was professional and courtious. I was kept informed at all stages and was amazed that with their help, my sale from offer, was completed within 6 weeks. I would 100% reccomend Connells in Cambourne to any other nervous buyers.

23. 8

A 1-star review by 'martin kent' 6/1/2013

Unit 4 The Shields Retail Centre Gloucester Road North Filton
    BS34
    Would you use the agent again? No

Totally unprofessional!! I am an experienced property buyer and this is the worst agents I have had the misfortune of dealing with. After signing exchange documents in my solicitors and all ready to go ( as a cash buyer I was exchanging and completing on the same day) it appeared the agent had not forwarded on one of the compulsory forms they were supposed to ..Consequently the form was not forwarded on and the sale didn't happen. However over the Christmas period whilst the estate agent was open but the solicitor was not a higher offer came in and in order to get the sale we had to match it costing us an extra £3000. Also throughout the whole process the agent never returned our calls and each person seemed to give differing accounts of what was going on with the sale leading me to believe they were not always honest with us. All they want is too make money, and if this is through dishonest means the would do it. Do not use them!!!! They certainly do not follow professional codes of conduct.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Got the sale through before Christmas as planned”

24. A 5-star review by 'Elma' 10/12/2012

BH12
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Mel was extremely efficient and thoughtful throughout the purchase process. Mel applied for my mortgage and when a slight hitch occurred with the mortgagees got onto the problem straight away and resolved the issue, keeping me informed at all times. Mel has periodically both spoken by phone and sent me e-mails asking how my purchase was progressing and if there was anything I needed. Could not be more helpful or polite. Highly rated for his customer service.

25. 3

A 2-star review by 'Steph' 2/12/2012

6 The Parade
    WD18
    Would you use the agent again? No

The level of incompetence is such that a colleague suggested it bordered corruption. I prefer to think one person is incompetent.
    The sad thing is that this company is on the panel of a number of lenders so sellers beware, your mortgage application could be rejected due to the policy to devalue property values regardless.

26. 6

A 1-star review by 'Fiona Flynn' 12/11/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

Firstly I emailed to make an appointment to see the property and they rang me back and told me they had an open day which was for half an hour my husband attended only to wait outside for the full half an hour with over buyers and the estate agent didn't turn up .My husband has just rang them and they have denided not turning up!! They are only able to offer a veiwing again on Saturday morning and are to busy to show us the property during the week .we are cash buyer with no chain this is unacceptable behaviour and totally unprofessional .i will be not ever be dealing with this estate agents for anything ever again ..

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They could have turned up for a viewing that really would have helped”

27. 3

A 1-star review by 'Charlier' 5/11/2012

32 Mannamead Road
    Would you use the agent again? No

I am disgusted at the treatment I received, I was renting a High end property and was continuely ignored and misadvised . The Maintance company thought it acceptable that the burgualr alarm was going off for 62 hours, and would not send anyone to disconnect it( the flat had been wired wrong and therefor typing in an alarm code would not fix) they doctored the check out report, and bare face lied on several occasion prior to me signing the tenancy, avoid at all costs

28. 6

A 1-star review by 'Taylor' 4/11/2012

Jansel House Parade 656 Hitchin Road Stopsley
    Would you use the agent again? No

Our experience with Connells in Stopsley so far has been disgraceful. They don't return calls when they say they will, they send out inaccurate letters, they don't inform you about all prospective viewings. We would NEVER use them again nor would we ever recommend them. They all appear to be a bunch of cowboys, they don't take your deadlines seriously, your home is definitely NOT in safe hands and you are not a valued customer. Do yourself a favour and use ANY of the other agents in the village, unless you want to spend all your time chasing them for updates and getting them to pass on messages.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Absolutely nothing, they have done so much damage in terms of their service that they cannot undo it.”

29. A 5-star review by 'A Sugg' 31/10/2012

43 Station Road
    Jo Turner
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Incredibly helpful and accomodating before, during and after taking residence.
    I could not recommend more highly.

30. 8

A 1-star review by '*&*' 26/10/2012

42 Allhallows
    Jack Goodacre, Bridget

We recently purchased a house via Connells at Bedford
    The entire process from start to finish was a shambles
    We dealt with a guy names Jack Goodacre – well picture Jack as a very unorganised Jack the lad !
    From the initial dealings of making offers on the house Jack dealt with us , our phone calls initially were returned as Jack was aware a potential purchase was about to take place , after things started to move and money was spent . The communication went to zero , emails were not replied to , phone calls were not returned . To the point that Jack was in the office but with a client... (read more)

31. 5

A 1-star review by 'MK2012' 9/10/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

I wish I had read some of the reviews about Connells before I agreed to let them try and sell my house. While the property market is abysmal in some parts at present, I had zero viewings and zero interest in 6 weeks, despite dropping the price. I was horrified to find that the office selling my house had no out of hours cover or even an answer phone, so prospective buyers had no way to contact if the office was busy or unmanned.

I asked the agency to provide evidence of what they had done to try to sell my property but they failed to acknowledge this request, though they did receive it... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Accepted liability for their inaction and provided a documented action plan to sell the property. Earn their money instead of relying on the Internet to do their job for them.”

32. View All Comments (1)by LordTrivet  31/01/2013

Only overpriced properties do not sell. If you weren't so greedy you would have sold within weeks. Estate agents work incredibly long hours, i'm talking 8 till 6 six days a week so why would you need them to be answering their personal phones late at night or on a sunday? Think about it.
  33. 3

A 1-star review by 'carole astley' 26/9/2012

BS7
    Would you use the agent again? No

I should have heeded my instincts when I took a rented flat six months ago took ages to deal with paperwork . When I terminated my contract Connells secretly showing prospective people around my flat they found my girlfriend in bed one day thats how i discovered what they were doing, even though i complained they did it again, took six weeks to return deposit after leaving flat spotlessly clean, fobbed off with excuses after excuses very rude saying "its not my fault" all the time. Hung on to £800 of desperately needed money. Poor customer service. NEVER use them.

34. 4

A 1-star review by 'RachelH' 16/9/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

I rented a property via Connells and was then allowed to sign the contract before I turned up to the property to find there was no cooker, it was filthy and the things agreed to be done were not completed. This was blamed on the landlord. Some months later after negotiating the termination of the contract and finding a new property via Connells I was again allowed to sign the contract the day prior to moving to find that nothing had been completed as agreed. Their attitude is totally unprofessional and lax, they don't respond in a timely manor or put anything in writing which is incredibly frustrating and won't take resposibility for any issues! DO NOT USE this agent for rentals, they are really really REALLY terrible!!!!!!!

35. 3

A 1-star review by 'Mike Jones' 5/9/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

Our experience with Connells in Lichfield was not a pleasant one!
    We eventually sold our property through them, but only after repeated phantom purchasers enabled them to retain their contract, allowing them time to search for an actual purchaser.
    Phone calls were seldom returned, email only sporadically answered, contact details of potential purchasers were held back which meant we were never able to contact them, discuss the sale details or vet their offers, little or no information as to the interest in the property was ever offered.
    They were also substantially more expensive than the completion and we only contracted them based upon their promise of a quick sale, which incidentally certainly was not the case.
    We were continually fed misinformation about interest in the property and the quality of offers being made.
    I would not recommend them to anyone.

36. 3

A 1-star review by 'Disappointed' 31/8/2012

87 Harborough Road
    Would you use the agent again? No

I was very disappointed with our dealings with the Kingsthorpe Northampton branch. I found them dishonest and as a result felt that they had wasted our time. We put in an offer in on a house we wished to purchase and they lied to us telling us the house had sold when it hadn't as one of their members of staff wished to purchase the same property. When we discovered the truth we felt that they deliberately went to every effort possible to ensure that their member of staff secured the property. They claimed that the vendor did not wish to even have more money offered to them which I find... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Don\'t lie to a prospective buyer. Ensure that all communications are given to all parties concerned. Do not place the interests of staff above vendor and buyer.”

37. 3

A 5-star review by 'Nettle' 30/8/2012

43 Station Road
    Wayne Lewis
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

Wayne was amazing, I'm a first time landlady and he explained the whole process and helped me so much. I rented my flat as I was moving overseas so I had a lot of other things on my plate, this was no problem and Wayne took care of everything - he even provided the forms for me to submit to the inland revenue to prevent me having to pay tax in the UK. Wayne advised me on the monthly rental value of my flat (more than I thought) and found me a tenant in less than a week who is paying the full asking price. I couldn't be happier with the service I received, I wish everything was as hassle free as letting my property!

38. 3

A 1-star review by 'bungledegg' 29/8/2012

Very lacklustered.

Nothing they did was very professional.

1 viewing in a 13 months!

39. 6

A 1-star review by 'InOxfordAvoidConnells' 27/8/2012

1/2 Bank Court Chambers 60 Between Towns Road
    , Mortgage Broker
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells at Between Towns Road in Oxford were a nightmare. The Manager was bullying, agressive and dishonest. I found a house I wanted to buy, and I just wanted to port my existing mortgage (as I would have to pay a large penalty to leave it before time). The manager said I had to talk to their mortgage broker. He started taking down lots of personal information, I challenged him and he got very nasty. The manager and the mortgage broker in the same office lied that the seller would only sell to me if I took out a new mortgage with Connells! As if the seller would have any interest in that whatsoever. Needless to say, this was a scam and illegal.
    The manager also tried to stop me from checking something about the house that his own seller's client's solicitor asked me to look into, when it was a legal requirement.

I would say that even if I found the house of my dreams I would never have any dealings with this bunch of crooks.

The agents I was selling my house with were great. They did actually express their disappointment at Connell's behaviour!

40. View All Comments (1)by Paul  16/09/2012

As the manager at this branch from Nov 2011, I would be keen to speak to you regarding your experience with my office. In particular who the manager was at that time (as I have never practiced such things that you have described) also which mortgage advisor was involved. The staff at the Cowley branch are committed to helping sellers and buyers in their house buying experience. Please contact me further to discuss....
  41. 5

A 1-star review by 'jlx45v' 24/7/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

Connells asked if I would accept an offer on my property. I told them the lowest I could go to was 129500. The member of staff who took the offer from the buyer told me that he would reduce the final fee from Connells from 2900 to 2500 if I accept 129000.
    I agreed and asked for it in writing.
    The offer was made at the begining of Febuary 2012 but the didnt complete and exchange until 15 June!
    I was charged the full 2900 fee and when I complained I was told nobody in the branch had any recollection of the conversation.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Connells should have given me writing the amended fee when I asked, but because they did not they have had an extra 400+vat off of me, when the agent told me that he was autherised to reduce the fee.”

42. A 5-star review by 'Happy with Connells' 12/7/2012

23 Bridge Street
    Chris Craighead, Ian Hunt
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I was recommended by a good friend to use Connells in Buckingham after they had tried several of the local agents with no offer Connells sold Ann and Ian’s house at full asking price after just 4 weeks on the market when the local agents kept trying to get a price reduction to sell...
    I had every confidence in Connells, but tried another local agent as i knew the fees would be cheap, but did not relies i would not be advertised regularly in the local press and on all the major websites unless i paid more money. 10 weeks later and no viewings I went back to Connells to find they were just as keen to market our House on the badgers. The Branch Manager even did viewings on our House and in the end sold it himself, what a great example to the team...
    I would not choose another agent again…

43. 5

A 2-star review by 'L. Lawson' 5/7/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

My house was SSTC and I rang Conells in Buckingham to arrange a viewing, I was told the house had been priced to sell and was in fact sold. As I was actively looking for a property I was constantly looking at rightmove and noticed that the house was still advertised for sale and a few weeks later I rang Connells again to ask if it was sold or not. Chris told me it had an asking price offer on it but when I asked again is it sold he admitted the offer was from someone who was not in a position to proceed. So I asked to arrange a viewing and he said I'm on the other line, send me an email! I... (read more)

44. 6

A 1-star review by 'Hayley Knight' 26/6/2012

82 High Street
    Kathryn Talbot

DO NOT USE!!

Absolutely disgusting customer service! Rude, patronising and useless!

I had to reschedule two viewings because I have an incredibly busy job, I gave plenty of notice and was told that they would not allow me to visit the property again!! They naturally blamed it on the vendor - but what Kate and her Manager failed to do was actually give the REASONS I could not make it to the viewing !!

The negotiators are obviously not trained on how to handle prospective buyers or vendors - well more full them as we are cash buyers and would move asap.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Acted in the best interest of the buyer as well as the vendor and not been rude, patronising and threatening over the phone!!”

45. View All Comments (1)by Charles Hart @ Connells  06/07/2012

Dear Hayley, I would like to apologise for your recent experience with us. I would be happy to take this matter up with the branch for you. My direct contact details are charles.hart@connells.co.uk or telephone: 01908 674141 if you would like to get in touch. Apologies again and I hope to speak to you soon, Best wishes, Charles Hart Area Manager
  46. 5

A 2-star review by 'LS' 1/6/2012

11 Glanvilles Road Glanvilles Mill
    Would you use the agent again? No

This property was on the market with two agents and the owner had accepted an offer from us through the other one. Our agent contacted Connells to let them know that an offer had been accepted. Connells then found out how much we had offered and engineered a gazumping. We complained, but they didn't apologise, merely quiblled over the definition of gazumping. It was a terrible customer service experience and while they may not have broken the law they did put us and the seller in an awkward position and the way they did it certainly wasn't right. Due to the way our complaint was handled we would never consider using Connells and would warn you off of them. Needless to say we purchased a different house through our agent and have now moved into the property, and we have given our agent a much better review!

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They could have been more understanding when we complained and simply apologised. Instead they insisted they hadn\'t broken the law and wouldn\'t back down in the slightest. Seriously, all we wanted was an apology, but they stood by their despicable behaviour which while legal, was not moral.”

47. 7

A 1-star review by 'Dave' 27/4/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

I've rented a few places (and owned) and have never experienced anything like these guys. We rented a large (5 bedroom, acre of land) property paying quite a lot of rent per month. The landlord had bought the property in order to develop the land - we weren't told this. He knew nothing about the house, so any questions we directed at the lettings agent were just met with "don't know". Pretty sure shop next door is linked to our electricity - response from agent: "you'll just have to accuse them of stealing electricity". Wanted to charge £90 to send me a photocopied... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They could have actually done what they\'re being paid for.”

48. 8

A 1-star review by 'SET' 24/4/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

Own houseSold to cash buyer, mortgage not required.Offer placed, no response from Agent chased after 3 days to find rejected. Placed another offer, again had to chase after two days to find it had been rejected.Placed final offer. Turned out Connells had another buyer in mind with same offer as mine who would be arranging their mortgage throughthem!

49. 5

A 1-star review by 'MSHAHID' 17/4/2012

111 High Street

Brief Detail as Below.

I am first time property buyer and the property I was buying through
    Connells Estate Agent in Slough. I started my paperwork on 28Feb12. At
    the time of starting paperwork they advised me to do your paper as
    early as possible, which I did. Connells (Ms Nadzada Gulmac) charge me
    extra fee to process my Mortgage even I could get my mortgage done
    myself but I was forced to process with Connells only, even they
    mention they got the same offer from some other person too, but
    because the person not processing mortgage with us, we do not want
    sell this property to... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“1- Get me the Property or 2-Refund all of expenses (Agent/Solicitors Fee)”

50. 6

A 1-star review by 'London' 17/3/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

There are many other reputable and better agents, that Connells in Tunbridge Wells, they are useless especially the letting manager she does not care if there are problems. I rented a flat through them the cleaning of the building was disgusting, Connells was in charge of the cleaning, the cleaners did not come for months.

The entrance of the flats was not cleaned for two months and it was filthy dirty.

51. A 5-star review by 'Pgood' 9/3/2012

82 High Street
    Kathryn Talbot, Abbie

WHAT AN AMAZING SERVICE!
    I actually sold and bought through Connells in Ferndown - I shall start with my sale!
    They valued my home at the highest price (they said 10,000 more) and convinced me they could get it - AND THEY DID! Yes they did charge me a higher fee than the other agents but once it had all gone through (in less than 10 weeks) I banked 8,000 more than I would have done if I had used"the cheaper agent". So who was the best value for money in the end?? Connells! Throughout the sale they updated me regularly and even helped me fill out the nightmare legal paperwork.... (read more)

52. View All Comments (1)by K.fredericks  12/06/2012

Thanks Peter, we are determined to show here are good, honest and helpful agents out there! Karen @ connells xx
  53. 8

A 1-star review by 'IHATECONNELLS' 6/2/2012

Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Would you use the agent again? No

My partner and I viewed a property with a view to letting, and fell in love with the house. The initial deposit was extremely steep, but we wanted it too much to let go. However, after telling 'Ellie' that we would be getting a loan to pay off the deposit, we were rang constantly to push us into paying a holding fee. We didn't want to do this until the loan was successful, but were still harassed. Upon recieving news that we would be getting a loan however, when we rang the branch to pay a deposit, we were told that the landlord doesn't want anyone putting a deposit down as he has someone viewing the property that he wants to take it. This now means we have to stop a loan before we get it, causing a lot of aggrevation, and time lost as we should have been told this (only 30 minutes before being told this, a colleague in the office rang us AGAIN to ask if we would pay the holding fee). Terrible communication, and attitude. We have also used them once before to view a property and were continually harassed then as well being misinformed of the property

54. 5

A 1-star review by 'HR' 4/2/2012

Would you use the agent again? No

I am a first time buyer and I was interested in one of the property on sale by Connells. I sent an email to Leicester branch requesting them details of the property, guess what - No reply!!

After few days I noticed that its under offer so I forgot about it and get used to routine.

Few days later it was on sale again on their web site and other property search website, obviously at reduced price. This time I rang to Leicester branch Inquiring about this Rushey mead property and requested detail and viewing of property.

Utterly disappointing answer that its under offer and you need to bring your deposit/income/saving proof to arrange viewing of this property. I argued your site just updated this property for sale two days ago at reduced price, how its already offered in 48 hours, the lady had no answer. I even asked them to update property status on their website accordingly on their website, no action. Today after quite a few days its still on sale.

Do not use conells to buy or sale property, horrible customer service you can ever get.

55. 6

A 2-star review by 'Michael' 3/1/2012

243 North Street
    Would you use the agent again? No

I went to Connells estate agents in Southville to enquire about buying an investment property as well as to arrange a mortgage through the company's mortgage section at the beginning of November 2011. I received a total of four emails with the last one received on the 3rd of November. I was told in that email that they would get back to me as soon as they had any information regarding my mortgage enquiry.
    It is now the 3rd of January 2012 and I am STILL waiting for an email !

56. 8

A 1-star review by 'Patrik Branigan' 22/12/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

They did not sell my property, and only sent time wasters. they valued the property at a fair price when they wanted to attract my business, then devalued it by £ 2000.00 when they could not sell it. threatened to withdraw it and charge me if I did not accept their new valuation. Charged me £400.00 for a HIPS that took three minutes to survey. then charged me £150.00 withdrawal fee when I got fed up with them. No sale and mugged for £850.00

“Profiteers, muggers”

57. View All Comments (1)by Koo  22/11/2012

I am facing this with them too shockingly claiming the outstanding hip fee despite only withdrawing the property after 2 years with no offers made and more ridiculously after the Hip was withdrawn so on what basis can they request this, absolute thieves
  58. 6

A 1-star review by 'Confused.com' 2/12/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

I was under the impression that agents were desperate to sell properties to earn some commission. Recently I contacted Connels to view a property. After 3 phone calls and having been advised that they were required to give the vendor 24 hours notice of a viewing, I confirmed our appointment. We turned up at the property 15 minutes early and waited for 20 minutes. No sign of the Connells agent so we called them. They were surprised to hear from us and said they had no appointment in the diary and that they were unable to come out and meet us as there was only one person in office. It also happened to be 17.50, ten minutes before the office closed. That is the last time I will be dealing with them and I feel sorry for the vendor. If the vendor changes agents then we might just ararnge a viewing. Connels in Westbury on Trym will not get the benefit of our business.

59. 7

A 1-star review by 'Marcus777' 17/10/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

Unprofessional, difficult contact, unable to deal with simple requests.

60. 6

A 1-star review by 'Sonia' 14/10/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

Terrible customer service, the staff there is untrained and very rude. We have had our property with them for over 18 years and have reduced it twice on their instruction they rarely bring people in and when they do they are very slow in the communications. When we put our house on there was the HIP (home information pack). They had a deal where we only had to pay certain amount and they wwould sell our house.

We recently decided to withdraw the house. Connells came back with a huge bill saying we need to pay the remainder of the HIP fee and the withdrawal fee.

All this money just for wasting our time.

I would never recommend them to anyone and would not want any seller or buyer to go through what we have gone through.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Nothing, i just would not go through them EVER again.”

61. 10

A 1-star review by 'Barnum42' 11/10/2011

1 Regent Street Kingswood
    Would you use the agent again? No

I have never experienced such a dreadful company as Connells. Bearing in mind that I’ve dealt with a lot of telecoms companies, that’s saying something!

The staff at the branch were second to none in their abilities to make unfulfilled promises, be incapable of carrying out the simplest of tasks or even make the barest minimum effort to sell my property. All this despite their advertising saying they would do all in their power to sell the property.

From the off, they were less than honest and this carried out through the entire process with such things as making up potential... (read more)

62. 5

A 1-star review by 'Dom' 9/10/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

Told we could not buy the house we were interested in as we could not complete in 4 weeks. they then phoned me back after 3 weeks to see if I was still interested in going head with my offer... I will never view another house with Connells again.

63. 13

A 1-star review by 'Appalled buyer' 27/9/2011

17 Great Square
    Would you use the agent again? No

DO NO USE CONNELLS!! We have just offered on a house in Chelmsford. We offered more than anyone else and were in a perfect position of being non-dependant buyers and having a 50% cash deposit as well as a verbal guaranteed Mortgage for the rest, with our present providers. Because we didn’t get our mortgage through Connells Chelmsford, they gave the vendors false information about our fantastic position causing the vendors to accept a lower offer from the other people, who’s mortgage “just happened” to be arrange through Connells. Don’t trust any employer of Connells… they are trained to be sharks!

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They should have used more integrity and been more transparent and found out proof of our position from our provider. They could have not made up things that were not true and told the Vendors the full story. We are disgusted with their low grade service.”

64. View All Comments (2)by Paul Woods  07/10/2011

This is just one side of the story and if you could read the emails that was sent between ourselves and this client it would give a completely different angle of this statement - Please contact myself Paul Woods, Board Of Mangement Partner on 01245 261266 to hear how we always work in the vendors best interest at all times and as we was very succesfull to have recieved 4 offers on the same property, the vendor always has the final decission and there will always be dissapointed clients and we agreed with this client to activitly look for another property for them which they was very happy with at the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The vendor was happy with the outcome as we looked after his best interest.
  65. 8

A 1-star review by 'Mr Very Unhappy' 21/8/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

We placed our properties onto the market, and as stated by the majority of the remarks promised everything and as usual nothing delivered.
    Carefully looked at comparables in the area which had sold and their prices, put ours on at a price to sell as we were still prepared to accept an offer.
    One viewing in six months, agents always asking about price reductions, didn't listen to our instructions, then when pulling our properties off the market was presented with a bill for the EPC and for the rightmove premium display for which included a picture of my condenser boiling in a cupboard, and a picture of my bedroom, wonderful quality I dont think.
    By the way they never sold our properties, surprise surprise

Stay well away from this Estate agent the wording Con as in Connells is most appropriate.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!! and try doing what they are paid to do sell properties.”

66. 1

A 5-star review by 'Ally' 14/5/2011

Would you use the agent again? Yes

I recently sold my house with Connells in Kings Heaths and found the staff to be very helpful. They were more expensive, but I had been trying to sell my house with another agent for 12 months with no success. It’s that old saying “you get what you pay for”.

67. 8

A 1-star review by 'Good riddance' 6/5/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

Keen to begin with, but soon became pretty much useless. Don't listen to what you tell them, don't return calls, didn't send many people around or appear to be trying very hard to sell and generally behave like they're doing you a favour to have your property on their books. Avoid like the plague.

68. 4

A 1-star review by 'CCJs' 5/3/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

I rented a flat through Connells letting office in Tunbridge Wells and right from the start, I had problems with them. I should have known then not to proceed with the let. I moved into the flat and had no blinds or curtain rails for a whole month, I had to hang towels from the windows for privacy. Then the landlord changed the flat numbers and electric meter numbers thus confusing things completely. The Landlord also came into the flat without notifying me. The entrance of the flats was not cleaned for two months and it was filthy dirty, worse than the worst conditions I have seen in... (read more)

69. 5

A 1-star review by 'philainsy' 21/2/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

I recently had my house surveyed by these. The 1st thing to say is they said there was no offroad parking which is untrue. I recently had my driveway block paved they found cracks in cement work which were settling cracks, they also said the downstairs WC had signs of leaking. If they looked more carefully they would have seen a new stoptap under the sink.

They under priced our house by 20,000 pounds. The story goes on and now we have lost the sale of our property. I will be advising the next people to keep clear of this company.

70. 2

A 5-star review by 'travel1' 2/2/2011

185 Marsh Road Leagrave
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I had a great service from the team at Luton Branch They are extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble especially from their aftersales team. The lady guided me through a very stressful time and kept me calm! Nothing was too much trouble and I could ask anything I wanted and they were more than happy to respond.

71. 12

A 1-star review by 'Oliver' 30/1/2011

Would you use the agent again? No

If I could give them zero stars then I would. Avoid at all costs and if you do find yourself fighting them just report them to the Property Ombudsman - their review takes a while but is worth it. We just received compensation from the Ombudsman for the terrible service provided by Connells. You do have to be prepared to fight and do not be fobbed off by Connells head office that say "no one ever wins through the Ombudsman" - yes they do!!!! The Property Ombudsman is on to them and does not seem at all surprised by complaints about them. Our advice is to avoid Connells at all costs.

72. 9

A 1-star review by 'annon' 20/11/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Terrible, just terrible. Our house was advertised on a road that in the time ours was for sale 3 others were put on the market and sold in weeks. Even worse their charges are significantly higher than all the other agents in the area (research before hand should have been done) and then they have tried to swindle money for a HIP that was paid for up front. Not a peep from them since the offer was accepted on the house, and it only sold due to a neighbour encouraging a friend to buy, not due to anything Connells Sutton did. Simply woeful. 1 agent there is great, the place itself is wretched.

73. 5

A 1-star review by 'norfolkincense' 19/11/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

It pays to do your research first. I didn't...Yes I signed and understood their comprehensive 5 page contract. I signed because I believed they would easily sell my small ex authority house in Stevenage. For a fixed fee of

74. View All Comments (1)by norfolkincense  06/12/2010

To follow up my previous....Following my instruction to withdraw from sale all communication ceased from that point. Paid balance of
  75. 6

A 1-star review by 'Phil' 13/11/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Draw you in with a high sale price. Do not tell you about penalties for withdrawing. Do not contact you at all. Only had two viewings in nearly six months. Cost us nearly

76. 7

A 1-star review by 'Sugref' 31/10/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

After withdrawing the property from the market after only 3 viewings in 6 months (due to Connells mis pricing in the first place), I have had to pay

77. 7

A 1-star review by 'mjones101' 15/10/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Rude. Told me immediately that I needed to see their mortgage advisor before they would accept an offer despite already having arranged a mortgage with my current bank. Arranging a viewing was then almost immpossible. Did not return calls or email.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (4) Feature This Review
  78. View All Comments (4)by Vicky  10/05/2011

They said the same thing to me after I put an offer in with a house. I told them I would NOT be using their mortgage services, and if they did not take the house off the market then my offer would be withdrawn immediately. Funnily enough, they didn't push the issue any further. It's just bad business if you ask me.
  79. 3

A 1-star review by 'nesburrito' 1/10/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

They let the flat out without inspection - so when I got the keys the place was absolutely filthy, carpet stained black, with cigarette smoke still nearly visible in the air (it's a non-smoking flat). Appliances were not in working order, with the immersion heater so hot I got 2nd degree burns and am looking forward to a lovely scar for the rest of my life as a result. This is after they presumably fixed the water heater.

From the point of view of the landlord, they do not look out for your property, letting it out without regard to safety (opening you up to litigation, I imagine - I'm... (read more)

80. 5

A 1-star review by 'drd' 30/9/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Salesman (I wouldn't dignify him by calling him an agent) came to us telling us everything we wanted to hear.

2 viewings in 9 months and now I'm facing a further

81. View All Comments (1)by Phil  13/11/2010

Have had totally the same experience. Two viewings in nearly six months. Would avoid at all costs.
  82. A 5-star review by 'lakey' 1/9/2010

Would you use the agent again? Yes

Recently sold house thru connells. Found them to be really helpful with good feedback. Accepted an offer within two weeks of house being on the market, and found the service they provided to be excellent.

83. 1

A 1-star review by 'Amelia' 27/8/2010

]]
    I spent nearly

84. View All Comments (1)by lyen12  15/09/2010

Hi, I'm currently in the same situation with Connells in Luton. My calls are seldom returned and I've also paid 15% deposit for a flat. The agreed date of contract exchange is on 6th of Aug, but it has been delayed without committing us with an alternative date. Every week when I called, a lady called Brigid will say 1 more week. Did you file a complaint?
  85. 5

A 1-star review by 'Croydon_resident' 26/8/2010

8 Suffolk House George Street
    Would you use the agent again? No

Do not use Connells in Croydon!! They never call you back when you call them, which leads me to believe they didn't bother to call potential customers. During my 20 week contract I had around 5 viewings. They talked about supplying HIPs inhouse which I agree to, but when I left them (for being useless) I had to pay

86. 1

A 5-star review by 'Mr Norman' 20/8/2010

Would you use the agent again? Yes

Had an outstanding service from Connells. Had alot of viewings, the staff were helpful and friendly and advised me all the way. Got feedback on every viewing the very next day. The staff ensured the people who purchased my house saw their mortgage advisor- which although alot of people have complained about this, from a vendors point of view it's a real piece of mind knowing the sale won't fall through due to the buyer not having their mortgage propertly pre-arranged. Would recommend Connells all the way.

87. 6

A 1-star review by 'haze' 20/8/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

What can I say.... Do not use them! My recently widowed mother is having the worst time selling her house through them. She basically found a buyer herself through a work aquaintance just before the 20 week contract end but because the buyers had rang Connells for details initially (nothing else, no viewing) they insist they have a paper trail and therefore introduced the buyer.... an extortionate amount requested for next to no service. Very poor viewings, awful communication. We repeatedly have to chase up and they never return calls. We get all sorts of excuses from the office junior as to... (read more)

88. 3

A 1-star review by 'a113' 16/8/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Feedback was kept to a minimum of a rightmove activity report every 2 weeks, with a covering letter stating that their employees were too busy to make telephone updates.

Then when I came to the end of the contracted period, I was hit with a

89. View All Comments (1)by Sparkle  25/03/2011

We had exactly the same problem. We stayed with them for a whole year and had no more than 5 viewing the entire time. During thie time they lost us 1 of those veiwings by not being able to get into the front door even though it is the easiest door in the world to open and then gave our house keys to another customer by accident! We recently decided not to renew our contract with them and they are trying to get us to pay the remainder of the HIP pack (we had a deal where we only had to pay
  90. 4

A 1-star review by 'AnnV' 10/8/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

I do not rate Connells for a Survey at all. They are extremely poor with their detail, especially when we paid

91. A 5-star review by 'Pen22' 20/6/2010

Would you use the agent again? Yes

Excellent service, kept me updated at all times. Always friendly and professional. Would recommend using Connells Plympton.

92. View All Comments (1)by armygolf  08/07/2010

Mmm! Someone from Connells Plymton I suspect has posted this review. Not very subtle.
  93. 3

A 1-star review by 'Don't Use Connells!' 19/6/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

What an awful service! Extremely limited feedback, no urgency to get viewings and a total rip - off with the HIPS - how can they get away with charging over

94. A 1-star review by 'ellie' 10/6/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

User 'ellie' rated Connells but did not write a review.

95. 4

A 1-star review by 'Helen' 3/6/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Called on 2 occassions to arrange viewings and they have never got back to me - obviously do not care about selling houses.

96. 2

A 1-star review by 'Sitra123' 21/5/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Extremely poor service. Would advise against using this agent. Received bad information on HIP and withdrawal fee. Staff did not appear to be very competent, lots of errors on property details, poor no. of viewings, constantly had to chase them up for updates. It seemed that once property was on the market they weren't bothered after.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (4) Feature This Review
  97. View All Comments (4)by JW  08/07/2010

Above comment does not surprise me. Connells in Ivybridge has gone downhill fast recently. Staff do not really seem interested & can be very pushy, trying to intimidate prospective purchasers into making offers there & then. They also try & push you into a mortgage via Connells, stating that your offer was only accepted on this understanding and claim that that with a mortgage via them, you stand a 33% better chance of moving! They also refuse to put declined offers in writing to prospective purchasers. Be advised & stay well clear of this gang!
  98. 3

A 1-star review by 'morris mahmood' 11/5/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Rang to view flat. Told me she was with clients and would call me back. Next day I call again and spoke with man who told me the same thing. Three calls and I stopped calling, found the same flat with different agent and viewed it with them that day. Ketchup is all I could say after my attempts.

99. 4

A 1-star review by 'NMParty' 17/4/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

The Connells agent mislead me too. She said I would only pay a withdrawal fee if I changed my mind in the first few weeks of marketing. 20 weeks later at the end of the agreement and after paying the withdrawal fee for their HIP arrangement , they want another withdrawal fee for advertising. If I had researched this and similar websites, I would not have used them.

100. 4

A 1-star review by 'M RICHMAN' 25/3/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

They valued our property, put it on the market offered a FREE hips.Then after 6 weeks TOLD us to lower by

101. View All Comments (1)by dawn  17/01/2011

We have exactly the same problem, we have been through the ombudsman, but they found in their favour and are now faced with paying for a hips, plus admin fee within 7 days or they will take us to court, worst experience ever, and they overvalued to get our house, with no mention of when you leave which most people do you will have to pay the hips price, also they are the only agents to charge an upfront fee so we felt we would get something for that, big mistake, big expensive mistake.
  102. 3

A 2-star review by 'S Cooper' 16/3/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

I wish I had known about this website a few years go. I got collard for the HIPS payment even though I was told I wouldn't have to pay it if I took our house off the market.

After a few months we had had only 2 viewings and eventually took it off the market and got charged. The manager of the Crawley office did apologise but said that as we had signed we had to pay. The person who missold us the contract had also left the company.

I wouldn't use them to sell a house.

I would use one office again to view properties as an exception to the rule maybe but the girls in the Horley office I found to be very helpful. Especially Charlotte.

103. View All Comments (2)by ellie  10/06/2010

Hi S Cooper I'm wondering did you end up paying for the arrangement fee, hip, and cancellation fee when you took the house off the market? Or did you manage to get out of it somehow. My house was on the market with them for 5 months, with one viewing, no offers. So I've cancelled and gone with someone else, but now they're chasing for ridiculous money. I don't see why I should pay for a job they've never done. Thanks
  104. 4

A 1-star review by 'Reviewer' 8/3/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

We had problems buying from them 4 years ago (losing keys and destroying them without permission), and they're still the same. They will push their mortgage advisers on you for all they can - even to the point of telling you that to have an offer accepted, is conditional on this. When pressed, they claimed this was on the sellers instructions. We spoke to the seller directly and this was news to them.

Buying from them through gritted teeth, and don't trust them as far as I could throw them. If in doubt, ask for anything critical to be put in writing.

105. 4

A 2-star review by 'warwickshire' 19/2/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

We were mislead by the sales team (shall I name her?). She read us the T&C, missed out the payment bits should we withdraw. We got stuffed for full HIP payment plus withdrawel fee, even though we were told the HIP was only

106. A 5-star review by 'Great Connells' 17/2/2010

Would you use the agent again? Yes

I have sold many houses over the years and I would class myself very experienced in property. This estate agent worked there socks off for us, they sold our house in Featherstone within 2 days and we bought one off them too! We did our mortgage with them which was brill all moved in 8 weeks.

I read a comment on this site from a buyer who was upset about Connells pushing them to do the mortgage with them trust me as a seller its the best thing you could wish for. They checked our buyer out, unlike our previous agent!

Also our photos where fantastic, I guess every office is different but trust me Wolverhampton are great. Go into their office and judge for yourselves.

107. View All Comments (1)by Ash2108  04/03/2010

Is the reason you have sold so many houses and think that Connells are Great is because you work there? If I \'Go into their office and judge for yourselves\' will i meet you? Connells are useless the only way they make money are by issuing fees to cancel the sale of your house because they cant sell it in the 1st place!!!
  108. 5

A 1-star review by 'The Muddy One' 1/2/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

We had previously been on the market with Fox & Sons, but after my brother received a call from Connells saying they had many people looking for a property like ours we went on the market with them. I beleive they grossly overvalued our property in order to obtain the instruction in the first place. The communication from them is appalling, feedback after veiwings had to be chased for and was unhelpful. Upon one open day veiwing they left our house insecure. We had yet to receive any offers and so decided to take it off the market and pursue other options upon which we received an invoice for

109. A 1-star review by 'david' 13/1/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

User 'david' rated Connells but did not write a review.

110. 5

A 1-star review by 'Royston' 11/1/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

Awful. First, I waited three weeks before they marketed my property because they 'lost' my photos. After 'accidentally' taking my property off the market three weeks later instead of another one on my road, they sent me an invoice for the withdrawal fee. After assuring me over the telephone that they had made a mistake (I had to call them and inform them) and there was no fee to pay, I received another letter stating that my case had been taken to their debt recovery department and they threatened to file a CCJ against me!

Once this was sorted out, they (eventually) got me a couple of viewings. Knowing that I didn't live in the property at the time they still managed to leave my lights on and fail to lock my front door properly.

Finally, I was told I'd be called back at 5.15 on December 7th. I'm still waiting...

Their only redeeming feature is that they have agreed to waiver my withdrawal fees due to their poor service and incompetence (obviously my words, not theirs!).

Do not use connells, they are rubbish.

111. 4

A 1-star review by 'Newsworthy' 6/1/2010

Would you use the agent again? No

They do not live up to the customer service promise. They trap you with a withdrawal fee, even if you fire them at the end of the agreed period. The fixed fee pricing is extortionate, especially for lower-end property. The HIP cost me

112. 4

A 2-star review by 'JOJO' 29/12/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

Lack of contact. Given a valuation then bullied into accepting a low offer. Did not sell because there is not a property I could afford, I was told that my ouse needed

113. 3

A 1-star review by 'chris' 11/12/2009

If someone offered me a

114. 3

A 1-star review by 'dank' 6/11/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

Dreadful outfit who only add to the stereotypical view of an estate agent being only interested in money, rather than the service they give to their clients.

Advertise properties without the required marketable-HIP, make it incredibly difficult to view the report and only seem to wake up and take notice when you put an offer in (surprise that).

From a prospective customer's point-of-view: avoid at all costs. Unless you have the tolerance levels of a saint.

115. 3

A 1-star review by 'RogerTheEngineer' 1/10/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

Sold house for deceased father in law through Connells in devon... it took a while but we got there eventually. Thought we'd use them again in Bucks now that WE wanna move (on the basis of "it's the devil that you know" as they all seem to be pretty crappy). We've hardly any contact from them from day one (even when I specifically asked for responses), we've had one viewer in 8 weeks, and a failed one last weekend which we have severe doubts as to whether they ever existed as they told us differing accounts when challenged about why they didn't show.

We have 11 weeks to run until our contract with them is over; if no sale by then, watch how quick we pull our business away from them (Usain Bolt wil have to race fast to keep up with us.=D)

116. View All Comments (2)by ski  26/10/2009

I am currently involved in a complaint procedure with Connells. Their first response was as unprofessional as their "service" and even misquoted what I'd said in my first email letter of complaint. l'll be taking it further if they don't do better with their second response. The problem was described here:http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews85282.html with other complaints about Connells. This is the text: "I am currently making an official complaint to Connells. I live abroad and am the Executor of my Mother's Estate and last year agreed reluctantly to a very high fixed fee for the... (read more)
  117. A 5-star review by 'st. albans' 30/9/2009

Would you use the agent again? Yes

Honestly...nothing queer as folk, everyone has demands and estate agents are prime targets. Hard working and very commited bunch Connells. Give them a chance and empathise with the task.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (3) Feature This Review
  118. View All Comments (3)by blu  29/01/2011

I agree, St. Albans Connells exceed all expectations.
  119. 4

A 1-star review by 'hillbilly' 29/9/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

In August 2008 I had mortgage advice from Connells of St. Neots (CAMBS). However no record of this was available. I then viewed a reposessed property on sale with them and November I placed an offer on this property which was accepted, after again seeing one of their Financial Advisors. I provided wage slips and bank statements as requested which ended up being lost on two occasions but was informed these were later found in their offices. (after complaining about this they simply blamed the mortgage company.)

The survey carried out by them claimed the property had a garage and parking... (read more)

120. View All Comments (1)by smurf  11/11/2009

I have recently dealt with Connells in St Neots as a first time buyer, Never again! I particularly found their hard sell approach on mortgages products and services very annoying and a real turn off to use them at all. I have thankfully found another property with another estate agent which I am pursuing : )
  121. 3

A 1-star review by 'Mikky' 7/9/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

They didn't sell it - Taylors did - much more professional and on the ball. Connells are asleep

122. View All Comments (1)by firstimer  12/07/2010

I have been trying to deal with Connells over the last few weeks, and had some "trouble", so have done some digging among friends who have moved recently. The one story that crops up every time is "Connells are crap, used Taylors in the end".
  123. 2

A 1-star review by 'dookie' 30/8/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

Appalling service, a real pack of miss information. Valued the property then as soon as we had signed told us we had too high an expectation on the price.. You must be joking!!!

Never contacted us from one week to the next.
    Demanded not to show the property unless the prospective buyer was on the market. Sent around people that were not on the market.

Nothing good to say about this company at all.

124. 3

A 1-star review by 'michaelnkaren' 20/8/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

Reading through the reviews on here it seems only to clear that Connels are only interested in making sales and not the customers needs or wants. We to had their mortgage advisor pushing us to take out a mortgage with them, even after they knew we already had a mortgage in place at a far better rate. When we did find a property we liked through them and arranged a viewing within 3 days of the property going on to the market ! a friend who is an estate agent in Ashford told us that the seller had already had an offer and we should not waste our time (5 hours drive) going to look at the property as it was over priced and if it went for the full asking price would only fall down at the mortgage valuation point. Connels never told us this and when we confronted them about the house already being under offer, they had no comment to make. It just seems that estate agents STILL think they can lie,cheat and just say whatever they want to make a sale. I really hope website's like this one get even more popular to show the BAD estate agents up for what they really are CONMEN !!!!!!!!!!!

125. 3

A 1-star review by 'persie1' 12/8/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

In the past few weeks I have had an almost identical experience as DLT comment dated 21 Feb 09 below. I am cash buyer and is all they were interested in was selling me finance. I had to tell them 3 times I did not require it. When I put in an asking price offer they told me it was already under offer. It is still being listed as for sale and I strongly believe they are waiting on an existing or new buyer who will purchase a mortgage through them. Connells are obviously more concerned with the commission/fee to be had from the finance/mortgage arrangement with the buyer than finding a suitable purchaser for the vendor. Vendors should be aware of this practice at Connells and avoid like the plague. They are spivs. If you think being a cash buyer ready to move at any time is a great position to be in, don't try to buy any property through Connells.

126. 4

A 1-star review by 'Gooner78' 29/7/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

The worst estate agent I have ever come across. Value the house at one price. Advise you to put it up at another price and then get potential buyers who cannot even afford the list price. Came in with a potential buyer only to leave the house insecure and dirty footprints on all the carpets. Wrote a letter could not even be bother to reply or apologise. The most terrible estate agent I have ever come across. Avoid the Basingstoke branch at all costs!

127. 3

A 1-star review by 'stan' 28/7/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

Very poor service never kept in touch for months until i had to phone them. Sale took 20 weeks to complete.

Extremely rude on the phone when I got in touch even though I am the customer.

I had to deal with my purchase agent as connells thame were too busy to speak to them, therefore I ended up doing their job.

128. A 5-star review by 'wolves' 21/7/2009

Would you use the agent again? Yes

We purchased a buy to let property through Connells Wolverhampton. The staff we dealt with were extremely helpful. They kept us more informed than our solicitor. Nothing was too much trouble. Have viewed property through them since and have received the same good customer service.

129. 5

A 1-star review by 'IsIt2Much2Ask' 29/6/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

Lies, lies, lies. They agree one thing and then do another. Agree fees, then charge something else. Bad communications, mixed messages. Terrible - avoid at all costs.

130. 2

A 2-star review by 'carrietwick' 25/6/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

Basingtoke - Absolutely awful, had to chace for a month to find out why it wasn't on Right Move. Only half a dozen viewings at the most in one year, they kept asking to reduce the price (even though it was reasonable), dropped by

131. 2

A 1-star review by 'DLT' 21/2/2009

Ref Connells Wolverhampton.

My partner and I recently put an offer in on a house through Connells - After having our initial offer refused we were told that another party were interested and it would be the first to come back with an offer of

132. View All Comments (1)by IsIt2Much2Ask  01/07/2009

Waited 2 weeks for a board, 2 weeks for a brochure which had to be re written, no choice of photos. We were constantly harrassed. Staff totally unhelpful, only intersted in their side of the deal. They own the recommended solicitors so you don't even have independent legal advice. Overcharged for morgage advice. Just a terrible experience I wouldn't want anyone else to go through. Avoid at all costs.
  133. 5

A 1-star review by 'potential buyer' 24/1/2009

Would you use the agent again? No

Based on their acceptance of our offer, we went to apply for mortgage the second day. Mortgage has been approved. They told us that seller is pulling out the acceptance because we choose not to use their mortgage advisor. Playing tricks all the time, really waste of time with Connells Harrow

134. 3

A 1-star review by 'Teddy' 26/8/2008

Would you use the agent again? No

We have recently put our house with them, and went to visit the property over the week-end, only to find the front door unlocked, anyone could have gone in, and done irreparable damage, what made it worse they have denied being in the house, so who did the valuation, and took the photos, we are still reeling from the shock.

135. 3

A 2-star review by 'loopylill' 23/4/2008

Would you use the agent again? No

Tried selling with this agent once. They didn't get many viewing and just kept trying to lower the price until a buyer came along. Didn't get any phone calls as promised and eventually we went with another agent and sold our house in 3 weeks.

Conned us into signing up for longer than was necessary but managed to cancel the contract after a lot of arguments. Would never use again except to buy - cheap houses! - the agent we used was in Plymouth.

136. A 5-star review by 'Covboy!' 25/2/2008

Would you use the agent again? Yes

Absolutely 10/10 all round start to finish. Connells Coventry were fantastic.

137. 2

A 1-star review by 'Dada' 28/12/2007

Would you use the agent again? No

Never called back. House next door for sale. But they keep ignoring potential customer.

138. 3

A 1-star review by 'me' 23/8/2007

Would you use the agent again? No

Lying at every stage of process. We are one week away from pulling out of deal because of their lies.

139. 2

A 2-star review by 'achick' 22/6/2007

Would you use the agent again? Yes

Getting a viewing appointment is so hard! I phoned the Swindon North branch a few times when we wanted to see a house in their books. They promised they would call back and confirm the viewing but they NEVER did, I had to chase them and virtually beg to see the houses. This has happened on 3 occassions with 3 different people from the branch during last couple of months.

If I had a house for sale, I would definitely avoid Connells in Swindon North. They have some good houses in the area though, so as a buyer, I might have to use them.

140. View All Comments (1)by achick  26/06/2007

Just to add, they are the only agent that never called us and asked for our feedback. Poor vendors who use them.
  141. 1

A 3-star review by 'cazbarfeatures' 5/10/2006

Would you use the agent again? Yes

Our house only went in the paper once every month whereas some estate agents post their properties weekly. Connells Estate Agents seem to give up on you after a couple of months. I should like to reiterate the point that their feedback was very poor, and I always had to chase them.

Page: