Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Connells

Agent rating: 1.9 out of 5.0 based on 218 ratings. This website contains 216 user reviews of Connells.

Offices / Branches

• 47 recommend
  • 171 disapprove

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

One of the largest and most successful estate agency groups in the country with a network of over 150 branches throughout the Home Counties, South, West Country, Midlands and East Anglia.

Connells has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Connells, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 8)

Page last updated on: 19-Dec-2014 15:39:25

1. A 5-star review by 'JillB' 19/12/2014

Sarah Valentine, Doug Guerrier
    AL1
    £500000

Sarah ValentineDoug Guerrier

Hi Sarah.

Just wanted to say a really big thank you to you and all the team for doing such an excellent job in selling our house. Jim and I really appreciate all the help and support you gave us, easing us through quite a stressful time.

Please pass on our thanks to all the staff there. We wish you all a very happy Christmas and healthy new year.

Kind regards.

Jill B

Comments on the Agents fees

“NOT THE CHEAPEST, NOT THE MOST EXPENSIVE BUT CERTAINLY THE BEST VALUE”

2. A 2-star review by 'S. S.' 18/12/2014

Branch:
    19 High Street (Hitchin) (Hertfordshire)
    Paul B, Leanne Hitchin
    SG4
    £325000

Paul BLeanne Hitchin

Very unprofessional. When they realised we are keen in buying the property they increased the property by £10,000 and started negotiating £2000-£2000. They have no dignity at all.

A 1-star review by 'Mrs Mew' 10/12/2014

Branch:
    1/3 Queen Victoria Road (High Wycombe) (Buckinghamshire)
    gari holden
    HP11

gari holden

Gari Holden has to be the rudest agent we have ever come across. She was practically shouting on the telephone and was of no help in order to allow the sale to proceed / complete. Her total ignorance on how to deal with the general public is astounding and she should not be allowed to be a branch manager (which she relished in telling me!). She was rude about the other agent and also the solicitors, who she blamed for the hold up.
    Her behaviour was totally unprofessional. She has been ignoring the numerous calls from my Agent, and has been as unhelpful as possible.
    We had contacted her as... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  4. View All Comments (1)by Michael Pinckers  11/12/2014

I have dealt with Mrs Holden on numerous occasions and would trust no one else to sell my property. Her knowledge of the area and expertise when it comes to buying and selling property is second to none. I find your comments most confusing and to be honest rude. I cannot recommend her enough as an agent, although I have not dealt with her whilst at Connells, I have ALWAYS used her as my agent when buying and selling property. I find your comments offensive actually, how can you speak of someone like that that you barely know. I suggest you remove this post as Mrs Holden is a very fine estate agent. Merry Christmas
  5. A 1-star review by 'Chris ogden' 10/12/2014

tq3
    £405
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Disgusting service. I was a new tenant connells the estate agents. They took 380 pound fee for reference s! Which they never did!! Flat I rented had no gas no electric and was flooded! Connells said not our problem contact the landlord. 3 weeks later landlord excepted Flat was inhabitable. 3 weeks of hell!!!

6. A 1-star review by 'Unhappy of Darlaston' 8/12/2014

Branch:
    22 Springhead (Wednesbury) (West Midlands)
    WS10
    £95000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Mis sold the premium service. Buyer beware despite being told that the fee would be refunded regardless of which legal company - no refund has been made. The contract you sign states one thing their sales team say another!

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT THEY ACTUALLY DO”

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Been straight and told the truth and not lied”

7. A 1-star review by 'Andy' 22/11/2014

Branch:
    83 George Street (Luton) (Bedfordshire)
    Lettings (as a Landlord)
    LU
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Useless & Incompetent. Staff do not reply to your e-mails until a week late. Response is extremely slow. I have multiple properties in Luton and Connells by far is the worse letting agency. I would recommend another agent who can atleast e-mail with a few hours unlike connells.

I would recommend to anyone who has a property to let, please do not go with Connells, you WILL be dissapointed. They just want your money and the staff are all young and when you dispute with them, they will not reply. I have already burnt my fingers with them and would NOT recommend them to anyone.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Get staff with knowledge and communication skills.”

8. A 1-star review by 'emily' 19/11/2014

B67
    £575
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I have been renting a property through connells for just over a year and I have never been so disgusted with the lack of service I have received. Time and again my land lady has refused to carry out repairs on the bathroom. My shower has not worked for 8months but connells have ignored my phonecalls and emails and have stated they cannot make my land lady pay for repairs. We had water leaking through the kitchen ceiling last month and the problem has still not been fixed. I will never rent through connells again. No one is willing to take responsibility for any problems or issues you get ignored or told to speak to someone else.They are more than happy to take your money every month but not willing to help when you have a problem.

Comments on the Agents fees

“EXPENSIVE FEES WHICH I THOUGHT MEANT THEY WERE A COMPANY WORTH RENTING WITH BECAUSE THEY SEEMED THOUGH BUT THEY DON\'T DO ANYTHING THEMSELVES THEY HIRE OTHER COMPANIES TO DO INVENTORIES WHICH HAD TO BE RELEASED WRITTEN BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT CARRIED OUT PROPERLY.”

9. A 5-star review by 'caroline and pauline' 14/11/2014

Branch:
    6 The Parade (Watford) (Hertfordshire)
    Tony Wood
    wd19
    £299000

Tony Wood

very enthusiastic through the whole sale,always tried to help us in any of our queries,he got the price we needed for our property,found lots of people to view our property,and ensured we had the right buyer and that they were legitimate.thankyou for all your help would recommend to any of our friends who decide to move from watford

10. A 1-star review by 'professional' 10/11/2014

Branch:
    19 High Street North (Dunstable) (Bedfordshire)
    LU6
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I have never encountered such a horrendous level of service. ..they should genuinely be closed down for bad practice.
    I made several requests to view the above property (repossession) and my requests was constantly met with objection. A few days later a notification was on rightmove. I contacted connells again to view the property despite stipulating that I was a cash buyer. I emailed connells an offer and asked them to contact me...they failed to make contact. I emailed the office and asked the branch manager to contact me. ..again he failed to do so. I did a search with Land registry... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Go on a training course and learn how to stop playing at being an estate agent and learn how to be a professional estate agent...what a disgrace.”

11. A 1-star review by 'Unhappycustomer' 9/11/2014

Branch:
    1 Wote Street (Basingstoke) (Hampshire)
    Rg22
    £895
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Connells letting agency in basingstoke is inadequate as they have failing customer service. Very disorganised department with poor attitude to help customers.
    atrocious communications skills. Avoid basingstoke connells letting.

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'H' 4/11/2014

Branch:
    3 Moatfield Farm, (Kingsnorth) (Ashford) (Kent)
    TN23
    £240000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Avoid this branch at all costs..... I have never come across such an incompetent bunch. They never respond to messages left, they deny any knowledge of having received messages, when you do manage to speak to one of them they fail to act upon any request. They have built in continuous delays throughout the process, both for us and the other parties in the chain. They are truly appalling. I too found myself caught up in a Shoosmith saga, with the same issues as 'Derek' and can confirm they are as incompetent as Connells. I agree with 'Derek' - if you can buy a property from a different local estate agent then do so, you will save yourself a whole lot of frustration, anger and upset - not to mention money.....
    They are seriously shocking and absolutely fit the negative stereotype of estate agents. They are completely unprofessional.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Learn to effectively and professionally manage, communicate, deal with customers, act with honesty and integrity and just do your job........”

2. A 5-star review by 'Lyn' 31/10/2014

£212000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Having lived in the South East of England all my life it was going to be a daunting experience to move to an unknown area. Having called into the store to see what was available in the area to meet our requirements we received a very warm welcome and knowledgeable agent whom we dealt with for the duration of the purchase of the property. Our agent not only arranged for viewing to suit our availability but was able to provide information of the area including restaurants. They also acted as go between when keys weren't present in the house and forwarding mail to the seller.

This provided us with an excellent and smooth experience which otherwise may have caused anxiety and would like to say a very big thank you to all the staff in Kettering. We would certainly recommend this team to others.

A 1-star review by 'Mona' 31/10/2014

Branch:
    32 Mannamead Road (Mutley Plain) (Plymouth) (Devon)
    PL4
    Upload a reviwer profile image

On first viewing the property I knew this was the flat I was looking for, so right then my partner and I paid the referencing fees for him and myself and then the tenancy agreement fee. We were then told to pick a day to move, the date happened to be over a week ago. A day before we were due to move, we were all packed we were told that we would need two guarantors, one for each of us. So we provided these guarantors and then we were told we would be in the property within 5 days. I phoned Connells this morning to confirm that everything had gone well and that we would be able to move... (read more)

4. A 5-star review by 'Kay Doherty' 27/10/2014

Russell
    £515000

Russell

We recentley brought a property in Kettering through Connells. Have to say that Russell was always
    very helpful when approached and always available for viewings, spending as much time as was
    needed for each visit. Thanks Russell for making our move less stressful.

5. A 2-star review by 'Sylvia' 26/10/2014

bs10
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I dealt with Connells, Filton (Bristol) when looking for my first house. At first Simon was very friendly and helpful. But as soon as we mentioned our deposit amount, his eyes lit up and he started trying to hype up the property, and say amounts offers have already been offered (which they're not supposed to).

After this we put in an offer, and they were quite uninterested saying we've had higher, we kept rising it until we got to our max. We didn't hear from them after that, when they had said they'd let us know the next day. To this day they didn't have the decency to tell us it was clearly rejected. Very unprofessional and rude to be honest. They just used us to push the price up for a higher commission. Will try to avoid them in future.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Maybe I\'d feel better about it if they called up and profusely apologised for their lack of communication and had a very good excuse. Help us get a good deal on a house without being all about their own wages!!”

6. A 5-star review by 'MrLee' 20/10/2014

Doug Guerrier, Tom
    No postcode selected.

Doug GuerrierTom

Selling up and moving home is an incredibly exhausting and emotional time for any family. With a million things to plan and consider all you want is a quick, hassle free sale.

The Connells Team came along and were incredibly friendly, efficient, knowledgeable of the industry and took charge of the situation… They delivered on all their promises with minimal fuss and in super quick time.

I would like to personally thank Doug, Tom and Sarah who were always on hand when I needed them and took much of the stress out of the whole process.

As such, I am more than happy to recommend their services.

7. A 5-star review by 'HUGHES' 10/10/2014

No postcode selected.

Russel Store manager

Russell has a very professional approach to selling houses and this is supported by his excellent communication skills.

8. A 1-star review by 'NotaFan' 7/10/2014

Branch:
    1 Regent Street Kingswood (Kingswood) (Bristol) (South Gloucestershire)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Chantelle , Kat
    BS15
    £1200

Chantelle Kat

Upon speaking to the staff members Kat and Chantelle originally, I had no issue with the service. We arranged a viewing for the house we were interested in, and on the day, drove hours across the country as we were looking to relocate to Bristol from elsewhere. Some 20 minutes away from the viewing, we received a call telling us that they 'could not gain access to the property' and would have to rearrange. They weren't sure when for yet, but would let us know. Disappointing, but it happens.

We liked the look of this house so much and were so pleased to find somewhere that would accept us... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Maybe actually spoken to us and just told us from the start if they weren\'t going to arrange viewings for us. Or better yet, spoken to the landlord and got a clear yes or no.”

9. A 5-star review by 'Anja' 7/10/2014

£399950

Russel Store manager

I was very happy with the service that we have received from Russel and his team. They have been highly reliable, professional and friendly. I can only recommend selling with Connells in Kettering! Full asking price at 1st viewing....good result!

10. A 5-star review by 'J. Winkley' 7/10/2014

Nn16
    £5150000

Russel Store manager

Selling my house was a painful decision as it was a result of loosing my husband of 30 years. I had my house on the market with another agent for 3 months and had 1 viewing with them in all that time. My neighbours, on both sides, sold within weeks with Connells so I decided to give them a go. It was done with style, no effort required on my part, and while I was away in France within 3 Weeks of it going on the market with them it sold for a very good price.
    Everything was done by Russell and he was available to speak to whenever I needed an update or a bit of advice.
    I moved out yesterday, I would highly recommend Connells. I would like to thank them for all their help.

1. A 5-star review by 'emerton family' 5/10/2014

nn16
    £91000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I was immensley pleased with the service we recieved from connells. We sold our house through Connells, brought through connells and had our Mortgage consultation through Connells. They were efficient and tenacious in helping us out and getting things sorted. We also used their Conveyancers Langleys who equally as good and come highly recommended.

I agree the fees are expensive BUT as the saying goes if you pay peanuts you get a monkey!

Definately well worth using x

2. A 1-star review by 'Totally Disappointed' 1/10/2014

Branch:
    3 Moatfield Farm, (Kingsnorth) (Ashford) (Kent)
    They arranged our mortgage
    Ross McTaggert, Jeremy Hill
    TN24

Ross McTaggertJeremy Hill

Absolutely shocking service or rather no service at all. Mortgage application was made in March and was made incorrectly in the first instance. Then when it seemed to drag on my calls were not returned and had no answers to whether the application had been approved or not. They took £400 and then Ross went on long term sick leave and still no mortgage offer. In the mean time the chain is already to exchange and still no offer. Jeremy (his line manager ) took over and promised that this case would be his priority and i have to say we still do not have it! They are completely incompetent and they get you going around in circles. I wish that i had gone to an independent mortgage adviser in the first place. I will never use this company again, ever.

“Something.”

A 5-star review by 'Mr Fletcher' 1/10/2014

Doug Guerrier, Harry Youn gs
    AL2
    £365000

Doug GuerrierHarry Youn gs

Recommended. Connells in St. Albans have been explempoary from start to finish. I had my house valued by 3 agents (as you do) and had 3 very varying prices, Harry from Connells showed me reports and lists of suitable applicants justifying the price he quoted. We gave our business based on the informative approach and the valuer Harry Youngs. I am on a busy road and was aware that some people might complain, but Harry and the St. Albans team matched up the right people and did an open day, the open day was hosted by Doug Guerrier the Director of the office which I though was a nice touch, Doug... (read more)

“EXCELLENT VALUE.”

4. 1

A 5-star review by 'Mark' 30/9/2014

Melissa Bolton
    AL3
    £275000

Melissa Bolton

Happy with valuation and local knowledge. Good communications through viewings and negotiations. I believe I got the best price possible, the premium marketing offer was well worth it.

5. A 1-star review by 'disapointed.' 26/9/2014

Branch:
    57 High Street ( ) (Crawley) (West Sussex)
    rh10
    £360000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Dreadful experience. From phantom buyers, to no shows to badly vetted buyers. Dont go near these clowns with a barge pole. After finally finding a buyer 7 months later they expect us to pay them the commission for a sale they didnt arrange, completely ignoring the fact they cost us £14k in rent as we had to move or we would have lost our purchase.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Done their job properly!”

6. A 5-star review by 'MJ123' 8/9/2014

Russel Store manager, Rachel Oban
    £133000

Russel Store managerRachel Oban

Hi,
    I would like to share with you the highs and lows of my house moving experience.
    Back in 2013 I put my home up for sale with William H Brown. Unbeknown to be at the time they over priced the selling price by £50000. Just before the end of the three month contract, William H Brown contacted me and suggested that seen as no-one had come to view my home that I should consider reducing the sale price by £20000. As you can imagine, I was a bit perturbed, after all as Estate Agents surely they should know their market! It was purely work commitments and lack of time to research that led me... (read more)

7. 4

A 1-star review by 'Paul' 4/9/2014

Branch:
    6 Station Parade (Letchworth) (Hertfordshire)
    Sg1
    £450000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

They sell properties , however, they also try & rope you into their mortgage scheme as it's clearly profitable, as I had my own mortgage they told me they would not put me forward if it's not via them !! Shocking!! I bet the seller does not know about this but for me paying £5 on line I will obtain their details & tell them that I am the person who matched their offer but Connell would not put me forward to them because I would not put my mortgage through them!!!! Shocking company, no ethics STAY AWAY

8. 5

A 1-star review by 'Jeff Lyne' 29/8/2014

Branch:
    8/9 South Street (Exeter) (Devon)
    Lee Broming, James Best
    EX1
    £179950

Lee BromingJames Best

I was pressured to except an offer on my home well under the asking price after being assured by Lee Broming the branch manager that the buyer was in a position for a quick purchase. 3 weeks later after regularly asking how things were progressing I was amazed to find out the buyer hadn't even been into apply for his mortgage. He was, in fact, on holiday. 24 days wasted due to lies and dishonest information. The Branch manager wouldn't even speak to me after I refused to put my house back on the market with Connells. Stay Clear at all costs!

9. 3

A 1-star review by 'R Embley' 27/8/2014

Branch:
    8/9 South Street (Exeter) (Devon)
    ex5
    £245000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Very aggressive in approach, kept contacting me to ask me to place my property on the market, even though it was on with another agent and I was happy with them!

Have been told by friends that the office Manager tries to poach other agents properties and has little or no ethics.

Would rather use a small friendly agent rather than a large corporate agent who only seem interested in meeting their targets.

10. 2

A 1-star review by 'unsatisfied customer' 24/8/2014

Branch:
    Land & New Homes 80 High Street (Poole) (Dorset)
    Relocation agent
    BH15
    £300
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Last February, we put our property on the market with Connells and recently (in August) we have taken it of the market. We have decided to put it on the market again perhaps in the spring but with a different agent.
    During the six months that Connells had our property for sale we did not get any feed back from them, as promised, and we did not get any viewings from prospective buyers. Connells did put our property as "open house" on a Saturday and we were told that they had two customers that were going to come to view the property but we had no feed back on the outcome either. We are not sure if they did come, as Connells told us to vacate the premises before the time of the viewings. When they first put the property on the market, the details on the internet were not correct, with measurements inaccurate, floor plans were wrong and it took us several attempts to have them corrected accurately.

Page: