Browse agents by letter
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Connells

Agent rating: 1.8 out of 5.0 based on 169 ratings. This website contains 167 user reviews of Connells.

Offices / Branches

• 138 disapprove

...left to get your reviews in for the 2014 Estate & Letting Agent Awards

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

One of the largest and most successful estate agency groups in the country with a network of over 150 branches throughout the Home Counties, South, West Country, Midlands and East Anglia.

Connells has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Connells, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 6)

Page last updated on: 11-Jul-2014 17:58:04

SL1
    Rent PCM
    £750
    Would you use the agent again? No

What a nightmare! We bought the property through the agent, which was a turbulent enough experience, but putting it down to the fact that it was a repossession gave them the benefit of the doubt and used them for managing the property....oh dear....the most annoying thing about the agent was the lack of communication and when there was communication it was inefficient, for example I would get an email from Sue who is sitting in the managing office (up north somewhere- she has no real clue about the property) but she would ask me to ring a security office to order a new fob for the property... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Better communication, being honest and showing some respect. To back up legal claims in writing. To have managing personnel in the same city as the properties they manage as opposed to having Chris based in the slough office and then queries being sent to me from some other office.”

2. 3

A 1-star review by 'Beardy' 22/6/2014

6 Station Parade
    Staff Member
    Glenn (Manager), Michael (Mortgage \"Broker\"
    SG6
    Sold Price
    £206000
    Would you use the agent again? No

Con-nells - the clue should be in the first syllable right there... This is a long review, but please read it all and you WILL understand the Jokers you may be dealing with.

Where to begin?

We wanted to buy a property in SG6 through Connells and were told that there are "six or so other people who are going for this property" and that "to improve our chances of our offer being accepted we should come onto the market with Connells" alongside our current estate agent. They did not ask if we had a sole agency agreement - such trivial details seem not to bother Connells.... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“To understand that their customer has a voice, a mind and an opinion. They can do what they wish with regards to their purchase - Connells have to learn that they do not have ANY right to sway (either themselves or under the guise of \"the vendor\") MY CHOICE of mortgage provider. Also, Connells should have a good (that is - non-generic) statement for Anne Robinson - I may have been in touch with a certain BBC Consumer Advice show.”

3. 1

A 1-star review by 'farrar' 19/6/2014

13 Corn Street
    Conveyancing
    OX29
    Would you use the agent again? No

they were remiss in checking the first buyer in the chain was in a fully preceedable position which subsequently after 5 months has now resulted in a non sale for the 3 houses involved when the owner wanted to move with in 6 weeks

4. 2

A 1-star review by 'Michaela' 6/6/2014

85 Granby Street
    LE3
    Would you use the agent again? No

We put an offer in on a property which got accepted, everything was going smoothly although they rushed us into paying a lot of the fees like having the home buys report done, paying for connells to
    Sort everything, then the solicitors fees. Hardly ever heard anything from Connells after that... Took us nearly two weeks to be able to go and see the house again! Gave us lies about not being able to get hold of the vendors! To then find out that the vendors actually hadn't got a Mortgage in place! And actually can't get a mortgage! And the vendors had actually told Connells to not let us pay anything until they new for def they could sell! Now being told that we can't have any of the £1600 that they already took off us!! And they also told the vendors that we new about there situation before we went forward with paying! Who in there right mind would pay that amount of money if they knew that we might just be giving them money for nothing? Absolute rubbish! Nothing but liars! Will never use these again!!!

5. A 5-star review by 'KD' 5/6/2014

135 South Road
    RH16
    Sold Price
    £260000
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I would like to say that I had a really good experience of Connells, yes they can be a bit pushy trying to sell mortgages etc. but the staff are just doing what the company are telling them to do. I found all the staff very friendly very knowledgeable and professional. The vendor who we bought our flat off said that they were an excellent agents who have never given them any problems.
    I think that you have to realise that these guys are under such a lot of pressure to sell and the amount of people that they come into contact with you cant please all the people all the time only some of the people some of the time!
    I think we should give them a break. Well done and thank you Connells

6. 3

A 1-star review by 'Google user' 2/6/2014

38 New Union Street
    CV1
    Would you use the agent again? No

If you don't want your house sold then I highly recommend these bunch of monkey's who know as much about selling property as my 2 year old. Never calling back- never any updates- conflicting information from 1 person to the next. My husband called in pretending he was a cash buyer and really interested in putting an offer in on my property- he was told "that's great- ill call you back to get details"..... The call never came in! Shocking! You'd sell your house quicker advertising it on gum tree!
    When you Pay peanuts, what do you get...... MONKEYS!!

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“If they did their job!!”

7. 2

A 1-star review by 'Adz' 28/5/2014

57 High Street
    Emma Langford, John Manager
    RH11

Where do I start.
    Me and my girlfriend are first time buyers. We found a property in Crawley that we really loved, went to view and the agent (Emma) did not enter to show us around because "It smells terrible" so we viewed it on our own, she was really unhelpful and couldn't answer any of our questions regarding property or its vendor with anything but " I'm not sure" or " I don't know".

They (Connells) informed us that it would go to best and finals which we understood to be everyone puts in their best and final offers and then a decision would be made... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“obeyed the laws and regulations.”

8. View All Comments (1)by James Gordon  16/06/2014

"Dear Adam I was present at Connells throughout the whole process of this sale and whilst both staff members are no longer in this branch I believe this needs addressing publicly as your review is utterly misleading. You state we should have “obeyed the laws and regulations”. It is those very laws and regulations that seem to have caused your anger. We followed them stringently and were audited on this sale internally and externally. I’m unsure why you’re playing ignorant about what the laws are and distorting the issue for effect, they were conveyed to you numerous times... (read more)
  9. 1

A 1-star review by 'Paddy' 26/5/2014

500 Silbury Boulevard
    KT6
    Would you use the agent again? No

Very poor - no response to offers put in on a property. I had to call to get an answer. Attempts made to force me though their mortgage brokers. I will avoid if at all possible.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Actually respond to our offers formally.”

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'CJ' 12/5/2014

Unit B11 North Swindon District Centre, Thamesdown Drive
    SN25

I am Really annoyed.

I spoke to one of their agents on Thursday to arrange a viewing of a property that they are "marketing" (apparently) in the SN25 area of Swindon.
    I booked a 2.00pm appointment for today (Saturday) with Connells and travelled from Newbury in Berkshire in order to attend the viewing. On knocking at the door I was greeted by the confused tenant of the property, who informed me she was unaware of any appointment being made, and that she was on her way out for the afternoon. I called Connells immediately, and spoke to one of their blasé agents who confirmed that their was no appointment in their diary for this viewing; I could tell by the tone of his voice that he really couldn't care less..
    Just how exactly is it possible to mess up something as simple as making an appointment for a viewing? This is their bread and butter at the end of the day. I only wish I could inform the owner of the property of just how badly they are "marketing" his property for him.

I will never buy a house, or have any dealings with this cowboy agency again.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Do the simple things right. i.e if you make an appointment, actually attend it.”

11. 2

A 1-star review by 'Chrisbaxtercoyle' 29/4/2014

115 Union Street
    No postcode selected.
    Would you use the agent again? No

Absolutely horrific, apparently the service stops when the offer has been made on your house, we sold our house in torquay through Connells torquay branch hoping for a good, quick, clean sale especially the the large fee they were charging, unfortunately none of which were the case, 16 weeks for no chain just a simple transaction you would think. I have never encountered a business that lies thought their teeth and then denies that they said anything. This would be not so frustrating but when we asked if we could move before christmas we were told yes, and then when this didn't happen due... (read more)

1. 2

A 1-star review by 'Bea' 28/4/2014

WV10
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells pass you around to different employees so you never have consistent contact with anyone. The solicitors they advised to use were ABYSMAL - never passed on any information and we FOUND OUT OUR COMPLETION DATE BY TEXT FROM THE BUYER less than 24 hours before we had to be out. The solicitor then made excuses to us and contacted the buyer telling them it was us. Luckily due to a text from the buyer we were able to complete that day but no thanks to the solicitor.
    It took 2 months to sell the property and then 6 MONTHS for the sale to go through using the solicitors they advised. There was NO CHAIN just one property sold.
    Connells promised free legal fees so we would take £1k lower sale price but when the sale came through we paid the legal fees too and they reneged on that offer too. There £3000 fees do not include VAT either.
    Awful company! DO NOT USE IF YOU WANT YOU SALE DEALT WITH PROFESSIONALLY BY HONEST AND DECENT PEOPLE!

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Everything is described already.”

2. 1

A 1-star review by 'redsurfbus' 24/4/2014

84 St Thomas Street
    DT4
    Would you use the agent again? No

I was due to buy a property, offer accepted. 3 Months down the line nothing had moved on, neither of us in a chain. There were restrictions on the property, and the vendor was in negative equity. Connells did nothing at all to move this on without a lot of pushing by me. They then claimed that they were not getting paid any more for the property, yet I finally found out from the vendors solicitor that they were claiming £4000 from the vendor on top of the £10,000 negative equity and another substantial debt that had to be paid off as well.
    They made no effort at all to apologise, and blamed the customer. They should have chased this information up quicker, they should have helped the customer with forms she needed to fill in. Only at the end of 4 months did they start to offer some help, by which time it was clear it was too late due to the vendors finances. They should have found out information like this before I had to pay solicitor fees, mortgage fees etc. Now I am unpacking cardboard boxes and have no where to live.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They need to check vendors situation at the start of the process, not expect the buyer to find it all out after forking out a lot of money and time.”

3. 1

A 2-star review by 'Tomasz' 24/4/2014

85 Granby Street
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    LE3
    Would you use the agent again? No

I tried to view properties and found the service here fall well below poor compared to others. Are they even bothered to fill a vacant property? I feel sorry for those who trust this company to give them an 'efficient' and transparent service. As a prospective customer I would have expected more oomph for the property they were representing, especially as I was already interested. What exactly did they want, I'm not sure. Not surprised to find so many negative comments.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Need to work FOR your clients and prospectives, not against.”

4. A 1-star review by 'Derek' 3/4/2014

3 Moatfield Farm,
    TN23
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells Ashford, Kent – Avoid!

I’ll try to make this as brief as possible.

1) Sellers

If you are selling your house you are forced through their preferred solicitor to get your valuation. This solicitor is based somewhere up north. This solicitor is also extremely incompetent. Shoosmiths. You will not be able to push anything through, you will struggle to get answers, you will end up paying more than if you went to a local solicitor who you can walk your ID and paperwork to free of charge.

The estate agent is also incapable of filling in standard documents correctly first... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Explain the terms and conditions before having you see their \"advisor\" numerous times, including which banks they do and don\'t use for mortgages. Don\'t try and force a solicitor upon people. Don\'t force you to use their advisor for a mortgage and charge for a lifetime membership which we don\'t want.”

5. A 5-star review by 'Caroline' 11/3/2014

Sue Brotheridge
    WV6
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

When the private sale of my house fell through and I faced losing the house I was buying, Connells stepped in and got my house on the market and sold subject to contract, within about ten days. I cannot remember the name of the girl who came out to sell the house, but she was brilliant at reassuring me at a time when I was extremely upset that may lose my house purchase. She told me she'd sell my house and I believed her. All my subsequent communication with staff in the branch, was professional and friendly from there on in, and I felt absolute faith in the team throughout the process. A hiccup at the end that threatened the entire chain, was quickly resolved by Connells, and they saved the day for a second time.

After the poor service I received from an estate agent last time I bought and sold a house, I vowed to do it privately next time, but I would recommend Connells to anyone wishing to sell a property.

6. View All Comments (1)by Leecooke  11/03/2014

Thank you so much for your comments,selling houses can be very stressful that's why I have a full time customer care manager in Sue,my team and I really do care about our customers and we are so glad your another happy customer THANK YOU.
  7. 3

A 1-star review by 'Con-ners' 5/3/2014

5 Montagu Street
    NN15
    Would you use the agent again? No

I cannot emphasise enough how absolutley disgustingly we have been treated by this "company". We are now seeking compensation through the courts and are expected to win hands down.
    We have been subjected to - Lies, bullying, extortion, and just about anything else you can imagine.

We moved into a large house (our rent is just shy of £1000pcm) and we only had a rushed first visit due to the existing tenants being unaware we were coming. We repeatedly asked for a 2nd viewing, denied. The excuse was that the exiting tenants were uncontactable. To cut a very long, and sad story... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Been honest, Known the laws, Known their job, Learned some respect, Had proper training,”

8. 2

They arranged our mortgage
    Krishan Khatri
    WD23
    Would you use the agent again? No

I was browsing Rightmove one day and saw a property I liked in Bushey, after viewing the property I subsequently made an offer.

Several hours later I got a call from Krishan Khatri (mortgage advisor), telling me that they have had several offers on the property and that the vendor wanted to keep all applications in house (lies).

I was then pressured because I wanted the property to drop my personal mortgage broker and use Krishan Khatri Connells mortgage advisor.

After meeting Krishan Khatri he was an extremely inexperienced young chap who had no idea what he was doing (beware). I ended up practically running the whole application myself, they are a bunch of cowboys. I run a success business and would never employ Krishan as he is simply in capable of doing the simplest of tasks. Frankly I am disgusted by the service I have received and will taking this further with the FSA.

10. 4

A 2-star review by 'Mrs F' 22/2/2014

31 Carfax
    Katie Bone
    RH12
    Would you use the agent again? No

I was disappointed with the level of service I received from Connells. Having had my full asking price offer accepted on a 2 bed flat, I was surprised to be treated with an increasing lack of courtesy by the estate agent as the process did not move at the speed she had obviously promised the vendor. Even though we were still comfortably within the timeline the agent had set, she seemed not to want to keep the sale going, and instead informed me - after the fact - that the flat was back on the market. I withdrew from the purchase and instead bought another flat in the same block through a different agent. I don't like being mucked around, and Connells definitely mucked me around. Given how many estate agents there are in Horsham, luckily I don't need to use them again.

11. 2

A 5-star review by 'Cathy Cheadle' 11/2/2014

Lee Cooke
    WV13
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I appointed Connells after having been very disappointed with another agent. There was some urgency as it was Autumn when I changed agents.
    Lee came to see me very quickly and gave me an honest appraisal of the house and what he felt needed to be done in order to present it at its best. He was also frank about what he thought it should be marketed for and why.
    The house was on the market very quickly and I was pleased with the presentation. I immediately started to have viewings, and these continued until the house was sold after a short period of time. I felt that all of the staff at... (read more)

12. View All Comments (1)by Lee Cooke  13/02/2014

Thank you so much Cathy, service levels and making customers happy is very important to me and my team at Wolverhampton, it's always a great feeling when a house has been on the market with another agent with no joy and Connells manage to find you a buyer.What an absolute pleasure.....also thank you for the lovely chocolates.

1. 6

A 1-star review by 'killershadow' 7/2/2014

38 New Union Street
    No postcode selected.
    Would you use the agent again? No

Total and utter disgrace the way these muppets handle things.

I had a call from one of their reps asking me to visit their branch with ID such as passport/wage slip/proof of deposit to buy/proof of current address before i could view a property.

So i went there with the documents requested and all they did was went through my finances to arrange a mortgage for me. I told them i am going else where for the mortgage and anyhow once the calculations were done i was told i can afford the repayments and should be no problem and all that remains was to arrange viewing.

I was advised i will... (read more)

2. A 5-star review by 'A happy customer experience' 6/2/2014

38 Chequer Street
    AL1
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

From start to finish my experience with the connells team was exceptional. Being the first time we had moved house in many years and with so many estate agents to choose from, we felt we should use a big outfit, connells fulfilled their promises in a very professional manor. Open day viewings resulting in a prompt sale at the price recommended. Our buyer had some issues and in turn we had some delays with our purchase. Sarah progressed our sale, keeping us informed and patiently updated throughout, to be fair, we likely would of been lost without her. I would happily recommend connells St. Albans to anyone looking for a professional and efficient agency. Good luck with your move and I hope my review helps.

3. A 5-star review by 'R H Stewart-MacDonald' 4/2/2014

11b Meer Street
    Lettings (as a Landlord)
    Morny Coubert, Michelle Not known
    CV37
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

In the late Spring of 2013 I purchased a studio flat in Stratford-Upon-Avon as a buy-to-let. The flat was being marketed by Connells. The sales department of the Stratford branch expedited their part in the purchasing process with admirable efficiency. The rental department then agreed to manage the flat, continuing the arrangement with the previous owner. Within a month of the sale's completion a suitable tenant had been found. Throughout the initial stages of locating a suitable tenant and in particular, the pursuit of references and assembly of the tenancy agreement (which included the... (read more)

4. 1

A 1-star review by 'Shandy' 28/1/2014

6 Station Parade
    SG6
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells deceived me into thinking i only had to pay £99 plus vat for HIP pack back in 2009. Then 17 months later and only 3 viewings they took my house off the market and said i had to pay them £465.07. Now nearly 5 years later its nearly £1000 and taking me to court. Has anyone else been in this situation with connells HIP pack.

5. 2

A 1-star review by 'owenm' 14/1/2014

19 High Street North
    LU6
    Would you use the agent again? No

We sold a property through them and it was acceptable enough although rather slow, however when we also bought a property through them we made the mistake of taking the free legal's incentive where the seller gets £1000 less and the buyer has to get a mortgage and conveyance services through Connells. We did this knowing that we would not be getting the best deal as the mortgage advice was not great and over priced and the rates and choice were pretty poor. The solicitors we had to use for the purchase were also over priced and slow, however this would have been acceptable until the seller decided that the incentive was unfair on them and so we ended up having to pay the £1000 we supposedly saved by using the incentive. So in effect we paid £2000 for poor legal service and poor mortgage advice. DO NOT TAKE UP THIS INCENTIVE WHEN BUYING OR SELLING. I will be lodging a formal complaint about the service but wanted to post this so that I can at least save one other person from taking it out.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Not offered the free legal\'s incentive to us and responded quicker to any requests for information.”

6. 2

A 2-star review by 'Ruth' 14/1/2014

20 Salisbury Street
    DT11
    Would you use the agent again? No

Very frustrating, trying to buy a property but it seems that every property they are advertising has been sold. When I asked about why they are still advertised I was asked if I would like to have an appointment at the branch so I could go on the Premier Buying list. Always suspicious and cautious I went along wondering what the catch was going to be. Yes, of course there is one and I realised what it was. The interview was with their financial adviser who took all my details and explained that the cost of using her would be £400. I got the impression that every house I ring up about will most likely already have a buyer as I'm not going to be using their financial adviser. Also the salesman lied to me about the price a house has recently sold for - I know he did as I know the owner!

Shan't be going back there - thankfully there are plenty more Estate Agents in Blandford!

“Been honest.”

7. 4

A 1-star review by 'Julie' 9/1/2014

Unit 4 The Shields Retail Centre Gloucester Road North Filton
    BS10
    Would you use the agent again? No

Abysmal customer service. We were unwise enough to also use the solicitor linked to their company. Worst mistake we could of made. Neither the estate agents connells or the solicitors involved bothered returning calls to either ourselves or the person buying the property who is also unfortunate enough to be using Connells. Constantly make promises they cant keep, lie about the reasons for delaying the sale going through, majorly breached Data Protection by giving out personal information about my partner to someone they had no right giving it to, we are now reporting them to the Property Ombudsman. If you are thinking of using this branch steer clear, their lack of care and professionalism is absolutely appalling. Truly an awful branch of Connells, the staff there should be ashamed of themselves

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'Frustrated' 3/1/2014

42 Allhallows
    Conveyancing
    EN1
    Would you use the agent again? No

Applied for a mortgage via Lloyds TSB . As part of their procedure I had to get a valuation report so Lloyds TSB passed the valuation process to Colleys Surveyors ( Part of Lloyds TSB Group) Colleys then passed the work to be done by Connell's . Surveyor visited the premises and spent no more than 10 minutes and left. Lloyds TSB debited my account for £450.00. For this I received a standard 3 pages docuemnt stating
    1) Description - 3 lines
    2) Construction - 3 lines
    3) Valuation and market Comment - ' In its present condition and with the current state of the property market my valuation is ??'
    4) 'Properties of this type and age in this neighbourhood are valued between ?? and ?? '
    WHAT A RIP OFF BETWEEN BANK AND ESTATE AGENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Be more professional in his report!!”

9. 3

A 1-star review by 'Tim' 24/12/2013

500 Silbury Boulevard
    Richard Hill, Will Clueless
    MK5
    Would you use the agent again? No

Clueless, dishonest and unprofessional- avoid at all costs.
    Richard 'sold' our flat on 4 separate occasions, but each fell through as all of the potential vendors had not been checked for eligibility, failed credit scores etc... Seemingly it had not occurred to anyone at the office to set up a meeting with their onsite mortgage advisor before allowing them to submit offers on properties they couldn't afford.
    The property was left vacant for 9 months whilst Connells flapped about periodically looking for buyers, unfortunately after every viewing my property was treated with disdain- mud... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Financially assessed vendors. Left my property clean. Left my property secure. Returned phone calls.”

10. A 1-star review by 'Kerstin Mason' 17/12/2013

45 Marlowes
    HP3
    Would you use the agent again? No

We contacted the Hemel Hempstead branch of Connells earlier this year to get an idea of the market value of our property. One of their staff came around promptly and left a generally competent impression. Two minor points we did not like at the time, however we decided not get too annoyed: (1) He kept addressing us as "guys" (no, we are not two men!) and (2) he got the stamp duty bands wrong and even after querying whether it was really £300k and not £250k for the lower end of 3%, he said £300k was correct. We were also given a glossy marketing brochure promoting the agency's... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“accept that \"no\" really means \"no\", you lost business by being too persistent”

Page: