Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Connells

Agent rating: 1.8 out of 5.0 based on 188 ratings. This website contains 186 user reviews of Connells.

Offices / Branches

• 153 disapprove

...left to get your reviews in for the 2014 Estate & Letting Agent Awards

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

One of the largest and most successful estate agency groups in the country with a network of over 150 branches throughout the Home Counties, South, West Country, Midlands and East Anglia.

Connells has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Connells, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 7)

Page last updated on: 22-Aug-2014 17:32:12

1. A 1-star review by 'Annoyed' 22/8/2014

Branch:
    115 Union Street (Torquay) (Devon)
    TQ2
    £80000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Absolutely unbelievable. I signed up with them in April 2013 where I was promised that they could sell my flat fast to release equity to purchase a new build in time.They set a fee of £3000 +Vat to sell, having already paid out £118.80 listing fee for premium right move to them. I reluctantly agreed to the fees as I was sure that they could keep their end of the deal as they sold it so well. This was the start of my issues. Premium right move never materialised at all during the listing to date, the flat was not really pushed as far as I can assertion, I had 5 viewings in 16 months and one... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“MORE EXPENSIVE THAN OTHER AGENTS IN THE AREA.”

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They could have been polite and understanding, maybe even offered to negotiate on the extortionate 4.5% fee”

2. A 1-star review by 'unhappy customer' 8/8/2014

Branch:
    1/3 Queen Victoria Road (High Wycombe) (Buckinghamshire)
    sl7
    £469950
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Just avoid this lot, they make no effort to sell your house, they don't communicate with you or prospective buyers. They fail to organise anything and when you get fed up with them you find you are trapped in an awful contract with ambiguous cancellation terms. They overvalued my house and then planned to take a fixed fee based on that price. They took money upfront for website marketing with pressure selling. When we went into the office to cancel we found the set of keys they had been given wasn't even booked in. Having ended my contract, Connells suddenly get to work and I find myself getting letters with ambiguous terms of business, stating I might have to pay fees, even if I sell through a new agent to someone they didn't even introduce, if it's within the "initial period". No explicit date or duration was given in the contract or correspondence as to when this could apply. Connells seem to make the most effort in harassment of ex clients.

3. A 1-star review by 'Raymondo' 7/8/2014

Branch:
    38 Chequer Street (St Albans) (Hertfordshire)
    Phill Smith, St Albans St Albans
    AL 1

Phill SmithSt Albans St Albans

I had a contract with Connells in St Albans earlier this year to market my house. I had little response so I ended the contract on 5th April of this year.

Yesterday a woman turned up unexpectedly at my house saying that Connells had sent her for a viewing. Today I noticed that Connells had re-advertised my house! All this without even informing me, let alone seeking my approval.

I note that this branch is ranked 18,408 out of 21,623 in the UK. Not far to go to the bottom.

I have called them but no one was available to take my call.

4. A 1-star review by 'NimK' 5/8/2014

Branch:
    38 Chequer Street (St Albans) (Hertfordshire)
    AL1
    £300000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

My experience with this agency was an extremely bad one and I would not recommend them. They were extremely bad at communicating and the Manager was argumentative and rude when I was unable to return his call on one occasion. Needless to say, we took our house off the market with them and it actually put us off selling for quite a while! Please, please avoid them.

5. A 5-star review by 'Graham' 5/8/2014

Branch:
    6 The Parade (Watford) (Hertfordshire)
    tony wood, Luke Cheek
    WD19
    £240000

tony woodLuke Cheek

The level os service given to me was excellent.As I live in Spain I thought I would have an issue with the sale.That was not the case.Tony introduced me to an excellent solicitor and she was good.
    The first prospective buyer pulled out at the last minute and Tony and the solicitors tried in vain to overcome his interpretation of the map of the property.he was actually wasting our time.Tony called me outside hours and advised me to withdraw and he would chase up some of the others who had also made an offer.he was there fore me every step and so were his team .I called and spoke to Luke several times who was always helpful as was the deputy manager and the sales staff.A excellent team that works in synergy.When I complained about the lack of support and communications from the solicitors Tony unbeknown to me contacted them and a new solicitor was put on the case.She was excellent and provided me with regular updates and walked me through the sale. I sold my property for more than I expected and I have no regrets in using Connels.

Comments on the Agents fees

“WHILST THEY ARE NOT THE CHEAPEST THEY PROVIDED BRILLIANT OPEN DAYS AND PICTURES OF MY PROPERTY. THEY WERE THERE WHEN EVER I NEEDED THEIR HELP SO THE COST WAS IN BALANCE WITH THE COSTS”

6. A 1-star review by 'David Warren' 31/7/2014

Branch:
    45 Marlowes (Hemel Hempstead) (Hertfordshire)
    , John Bushey
    WD18
    £1200

John Bushey

Appalling service.
    In brief: they wont return calls, they offer furniture that is not included, they are aggressive, the senior management will take no responsibility for their staffs mistakes, they lost a deal for there client and my sister the tenant 24 hours before when neither the Landlord or tenant had done anything wrong.
    I have been agent for 18 years and this is some of the worst bullying practice I have ever seen and the type of company that give the whole industry a bad name. My best advice to all Landlords, find another agent, to all tenants find another property through another agent.
    Estate agency at its worst and worse than that they don't care.

Comments on the Agents fees

“NA AS WE WERE THE TENANT, BUT I DID RECOMMEND TO THE LANDLORD HE SHOULD ASK FOR A REDUCTION IN FEES, THEY WOULDN\'T OFFER ONE TO SAY SORRY FOR THERE INCOMPETENCE. THEY LOST THERE CLIENT A DEAL WHO IS NOW NOT SURE IF HE WILL RENT THE PROPERTY AS HE HAS HAD SUCH A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH CONNELLS.”

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“When they accepted they had made a mistake dealing with it, instead they expected the Landlord and tenant to suffer and pay for their mistake. A despicable company who don\'t care about customer service one bit, their client or incoming tenants.”

7. A 1-star review by 'Dissatisfied.' 31/7/2014

Branch:
    11b Meer Street (Stratford Upon Avon) (Warwickshire)
    Cv37
    £675
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I deal with many bad company in my work life but I have never dealt with a company as terrible as this one. They have made the last 6 months of my life hell and my landlord feels the same. They lie, they don't return calls, they are rude, they don't do what they say they're going to do, they levy charges which are unreasonable, they ignore emails, they don't respond to complaints. They are generally shocking. I thought one of the staff members was high for the first few months because he was so clueless. wouldn't use them again if my life depended on it.

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEY TOLD ME SPECIFIC AMOUNTS WHEN I VIEWED AND THEN TRIED TO CHARGE MORE THAN DOUBLE THAT AFTER I\'D ALREADY TAKEN THE FIRST STEP SO I COULDN\'T REALLY BACK OUT. I COMPLAINED AND THEY AGREED TO REDUCE BUT THIS IS THE ONLY TIME THEY\'VE SETTLED A PROBLEM.”

8. A 1-star review by 'D' 30/7/2014

Branch:
    111 High Street (Slough) (Buckinghamshire)
    Sl1
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I registered with this agent to view properties...they were absolutely hopeless in contacting me with any information. I had to do continuous chase up regardless of my great position in terms of mortgage approval and also cash buyer. The name of the sales person above has moved on and I was assigned a new person when I phoned them up and it seems like I had to reregister who I was.... A totally hopeless customer service ethos. Then I went to view some flats they were undertaking as a complete development. And I put forward an offer which they told me I would need to underpin with a deposit... (read more)

9. A 1-star review by 'paul' 28/7/2014

Branch:
    8/9 South Street (Exeter) (Devon)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    ex4
    £750
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Advertised at incorrect price, When telephoned told error was made £50 increase, Arranged to view 9am Monday morning, Agent late with no keys to view, then informed price up by another £50 per month. "*"

10. A 5-star review by 'Laura Gornicki' 24/7/2014

Branch:
    6 The Parade (Watford) (Hertfordshire)
    Tony Wood, Luke Cheek
    Wd17
    £185000

Tony WoodLuke Cheek

Tony, Luke and the whole team were extremely supportive from start to finish in our very complicated flat sale. They were always available for advice and support both on telephone and email. I honestly think I would have gone insane without them!

1. A 5-star review by 'Cathedral View' 23/7/2014

Branch:
    46-50 Castle Street (Salisbury) (Aberdeen City)
    Lettings (as a Landlord)
    Laura Walters, Lisa Reid
    SO45
    £925

Laura WaltersLisa Reid

What can I say apart from What a Great Team. Both Laura Walters(Lettings Manager) and Lisa Reid both kept me updated throughout the whole process. My Property was let quickly and we have great tenants. Happy to pay a slightly higher fee to get the level of service I was provided with.

Look Forward to Giving the Girls some more properties to let.

Comments on the Agents fees

“SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN SOME OF THE INDEPENDENT AGENT BUT WERE STILL HAPPY TO NEGOTIATE TO AN AGREEABLE LEVEL. AND FOR THE SERVICE MORE THAN HAPPY TO PAY THE FEE.”

2. A 1-star review by 'Unsatisfied customer' 23/7/2014

Branch:
    409 Shirley Road Shirley (Southampton) (Hampshire)
    SO16
    £185000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

What a terrible experience! Connells were really aggressive and unhelpful throughout the experience. They seemed to deliberately go out of their way to be unhelpful, from giving us only 5 minutes on the phone to decide what we would have liked to keep in the house, not being available to let us inside for five minutes to review said items, not being available to open the house to let a carpet fitter in to measure for new carpets, that took all of five minutes in the end!

We didn't even get a Sold sign! And the For Sale sign is still screwed into our wall almost two weeks after completion.

Extremely unpleasant experience and I would not recommend them to anyone. I think they do shoot themselves in the foot as we will not even consider them as an option when the time comes to sell up.

3. A 5-star review by 'Mark Hanson' 21/7/2014

Joanne Tallis
    B64
    £145000

Joanne Tallis

I would like to recommend Connells in Halesowen to anyone reading this review. I have recently had my property valued by Joanne Tallis. It is refreshing to have an estate agent who is honest and down to earth. She was very approachable and professional. She spent a long time with me offering advice and going through my options. Unlike other agents there was no pressure selling.

I will be putting my property on the market when I have finished the final touches.

She left me with a pack to browse through which is very impressive.

I have recommended her to all of my friends and relatives and would do the same to anyone reading this review

Comments on the Agents fees

“NOT THE CHEAPEST BUT WELL WORTH THE FEW EXTRA POUNDS”

4. 1

A 1-star review by 'Shu' 21/7/2014

Branch:
    1/3 Stoke Lane Westbury-On-Trym (Westbury on Trym) (Bristol) (City of Bristol)
    , Bristol Bristol
    BS10
    £250000

Bristol Bristol

I went to them believing that they can sell my property, but unfortunately they did not put any effort. When we talked for the first time, I explained ti them that the communication is really important for me, and James promised, that they will call me every week. They seemed really nice. On the past 8 weeks I was the one calling them ones a week, and if James was busy, nobody could answer my questions, and he was busy most of the times. They arranged 2 open days,but nobody came. After that they arranged 3 viewings . All of them were for Saturday. The first one they canceled on Friday, the... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEY DON\'T DO WORK FOR A PENNY.”

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Just to start to work.”

5. 1

A 1-star review by 'Pikachu' 16/7/2014

Branch:
    86 High Street (Watford) (Hertfordshire)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Wd24
    £300000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Connells are absolutely shameful in the way they treat their investment buyers (or any buyers, in that case)! Avoid them like the plague if possible, there are more professional agents out there.

We found a house we liked and although they told us there were 2 offers on the property already, we could still view it. So we sent a family member as it was a weekday as we were both working.

We made an offer and they asked us to provide all the paperwork, once we emailed them everything they needed, we still had not heard back. My husband called them a few times but they did not have an... (read more)

6. A 1-star review by 'oxford' 15/7/2014

Branch:
    1/2 Bank Court Chambers 60 Between Towns Road (Cowley) (Oxford) (Oxfordshire)
    Demi Reid
    ox4
    £1200

Demi Reid

I was interested in a property and was told i had to pay £120 referencing fees which i transferred into connells account without an agreement or signing anything!
    However due to unfortunate circumstances i had to pull out of the tenancy before my refrencing had even started so i requested a refund to which i was told by another agent "if i was to of read the smallprint this is non refundable" but obviously i did not sign anything so i was entitled to a full refund.
    i was told this money would be refunded into my account within 3-5 working days, this did not happen so i called... (read more)

7. A 1-star review by 'Keiko' 14/7/2014

B65
    £108950
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I used Connells Halesowen to try and sell my house. When the manager came round, they were the all singing all dancing company who sounded very good. However, nothing could have been further from the truth. I never received feedback, unless I rang at least twice to ask for it. They never called me to review the sales when after 7 months still no offers. When I called them to complain about this, Joanne stated that she would diary me in to call me in 3 weeks as we agreed that reducing the property may help - needless to say that I did not receive that call either. I finally withdrew my... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Contacted me for feedback and review when no offers.”

8. A 2-star review by 'Sarah' 14/7/2014

B65
    £108950

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They should have given me feedback after each viewing. After 10 to 12 weeks they should have made contact to look at the property and assess why the property had not sold and what could be done.”

9. A 1-star review by 'Dannypboro' 14/7/2014

Branch:
    14 Cowgate (Peterborough) (Cambridgeshire)
    pe2
    £75000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I have never come across such an arrogant team of people.
    They did not market the our property properly, I got calls from my tenant at the time complaining about persistent aggressive calls from this agent.

Their rates may not be the highest but you pay in lack of service and bad attitude from their sales team.

“£1750”

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'Capio' 14/7/2014

Branch:
    5 Montagu Street (Kettering) (Northamptonshire)
    Russel Store manager
    nn1
    £155000

Russel Store manager

I recently visitied Connells in kettering as there was a house me and my fiancee were very interested in buying from them. We are both first time buyers, both of us are in decently payed jobs and we have worked very hard to get our deposit together.
    We went a viewed a house they had on their books that was perfect for us. We fought quite hard to get a viewing, as it seems that they do not have enough staff to show people around houses. I personally had to knock on the seller's door and introduce myself to try and get a viewing of the property. We found it more difficult to get help with... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“FEES ARE A DISGRACE AND A CON!”

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Stop using a threatning manner to get your own way it won\'t work and stop trying to con first time buyers with you wares, that are not needed!”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  11. View All Comments (1)by Russell  12/08/2014

Firstly I am sorry that you felt this way about your dealings with my office, but I must say that I disagree with some of the points made within your review and would like to clear them up as follows: • Our office opening hours are 8:30am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am – 5pm every Saturday, we will also accommodate viewings outside these hours if necessary as long as it is acceptable to our vendors. • We have ample staff to accompany our viewings, I would even go as far as to say that we have one of the highest staff to property ratios in the town and pride ourselves on... (read more)

1. A 1-star review by 'Umm Yusuf' 30/6/2014

Branch:
    111 High Street (Slough) (Buckinghamshire)
    Lettings (as a Landlord)
    Christopher Hinds
    SL1
    £750

Christopher Hinds

What a nightmare! We bought the property through the agent, which was a turbulent enough experience, but putting it down to the fact that it was a repossession gave them the benefit of the doubt and used them for managing the property....oh dear....the most annoying thing about the agent was the lack of communication and when there was communication it was inefficient, for example I would get an email from Sue who is sitting in the managing office (up north somewhere- she has no real clue about the property) but she would ask me to ring a security office to order a new fob for the property... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Better communication, being honest and showing some respect. To back up legal claims in writing. To have managing personnel in the same city as the properties they manage as opposed to having Chris based in the slough office and then queries being sent to me from some other office.”

2. 5

A 1-star review by 'Beardy' 22/6/2014

Branch:
    6 Station Parade (Letchworth) (Hertfordshire)
    Staff Member
    Glenn (Manager), Michael (Mortgage \\"Broker\\")
    sg6
    £206000
    Would you use the agent again? No

Glenn (Manager)Michael (Mortgage \"Broker\"

Con-nells - the clue should be in the first syllable right there... This is a long review, but please read it all and you WILL understand the Jokers you may be dealing with.

Where to begin?

We wanted to buy a property in SG6 through Connells and were told that there are "six or so other people who are going for this property" and that "to improve our chances of our offer being accepted we should come onto the market with Connells" alongside our current estate agent. They did not ask if we had a sole agency agreement - such trivial details seem not to bother Connells.... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“To understand that their customer has a voice, a mind and an opinion. They can do what they wish with regards to their purchase - Connells have to learn that they do not have ANY right to sway (either themselves or under the guise of \"the vendor\") MY CHOICE of mortgage provider. Also, Connells should have a good (that is - non-generic) statement for Anne Robinson - I may have been in touch with a certain BBC Consumer Advice show.”

3. 1

A 1-star review by 'farrar' 19/6/2014

Branch:
    13 Corn Street (Witney) (Oxfordshire)
    Conveyancing
    ox29
    Upload a reviwer profile image

they were remiss in checking the first buyer in the chain was in a fully preceedable position which subsequently after 5 months has now resulted in a non sale for the 3 houses involved when the owner wanted to move with in 6 weeks

4. 2

A 1-star review by 'Michaela' 6/6/2014

Branch:
    85 Granby Street (Leicester) (Leicestershire)
    Le3
    Upload a reviwer profile image

We put an offer in on a property which got accepted, everything was going smoothly although they rushed us into paying a lot of the fees like having the home buys report done, paying for connells to
    Sort everything, then the solicitors fees. Hardly ever heard anything from Connells after that... Took us nearly two weeks to be able to go and see the house again! Gave us lies about not being able to get hold of the vendors! To then find out that the vendors actually hadn't got a Mortgage in place! And actually can't get a mortgage! And the vendors had actually told Connells to not let us pay anything until they new for def they could sell! Now being told that we can't have any of the £1600 that they already took off us!! And they also told the vendors that we new about there situation before we went forward with paying! Who in there right mind would pay that amount of money if they knew that we might just be giving them money for nothing? Absolute rubbish! Nothing but liars! Will never use these again!!!

5. A 5-star review by 'KD' 5/6/2014

Branch:
    135 South Road (Haywards Heath) (West Sussex)
    RH16
    £260000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I would like to say that I had a really good experience of Connells, yes they can be a bit pushy trying to sell mortgages etc. but the staff are just doing what the company are telling them to do. I found all the staff very friendly very knowledgeable and professional. The vendor who we bought our flat off said that they were an excellent agents who have never given them any problems.
    I think that you have to realise that these guys are under such a lot of pressure to sell and the amount of people that they come into contact with you cant please all the people all the time only some of the people some of the time!
    I think we should give them a break. Well done and thank you Connells

6. 3

A 1-star review by 'Google user' 2/6/2014

Branch:
    38 New Union Street (Coventry) (West Midlands)
    Cv1
    Upload a reviwer profile image

If you don't want your house sold then I highly recommend these bunch of monkey's who know as much about selling property as my 2 year old. Never calling back- never any updates- conflicting information from 1 person to the next. My husband called in pretending he was a cash buyer and really interested in putting an offer in on my property- he was told "that's great- ill call you back to get details"..... The call never came in! Shocking! You'd sell your house quicker advertising it on gum tree!
    When you Pay peanuts, what do you get...... MONKEYS!!

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“If they did their job!!”

7. 2

A 1-star review by 'Adz' 28/5/2014

Branch:
    57 High Street ( ) (Crawley) (West Sussex)
    Emma Langford, John Manager
    Rh11

Emma LangfordJohn Manager

Where do I start.
    Me and my girlfriend are first time buyers. We found a property in Crawley that we really loved, went to view and the agent (Emma) did not enter to show us around because "It smells terrible" so we viewed it on our own, she was really unhelpful and couldn't answer any of our questions regarding property or its vendor with anything but " I'm not sure" or " I don't know".

They (Connells) informed us that it would go to best and finals which we understood to be everyone puts in their best and final offers and then a decision would be made... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“obeyed the laws and regulations.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  8. View All Comments (1)by James Gordon  16/06/2014

"Dear Adam I was present at Connells throughout the whole process of this sale and whilst both staff members are no longer in this branch I believe this needs addressing publicly as your review is utterly misleading. You state we should have “obeyed the laws and regulations”. It is those very laws and regulations that seem to have caused your anger. We followed them stringently and were audited on this sale internally and externally. I’m unsure why you’re playing ignorant about what the laws are and distorting the issue for effect, they were conveyed to you numerous times... (read more)
  9. 1

A 1-star review by 'Paddy' 26/5/2014

Branch:
    500 Silbury Boulevard (Milton Keynes) (Buckinghamshire)
    KT6
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Very poor - no response to offers put in on a property. I had to call to get an answer. Attempts made to force me though their mortgage brokers. I will avoid if at all possible.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Actually respond to our offers formally.”

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'CJ' 12/5/2014

Branch:
    Unit B11 North Swindon District Centre, Thamesdown Drive (Swindon) (Gloucestershire)
    sn25

I am Really annoyed.

I spoke to one of their agents on Thursday to arrange a viewing of a property that they are "marketing" (apparently) in the SN25 area of Swindon.
    I booked a 2.00pm appointment for today (Saturday) with Connells and travelled from Newbury in Berkshire in order to attend the viewing. On knocking at the door I was greeted by the confused tenant of the property, who informed me she was unaware of any appointment being made, and that she was on her way out for the afternoon. I called Connells immediately, and spoke to one of their blasé agents who confirmed that their was no appointment in their diary for this viewing; I could tell by the tone of his voice that he really couldn't care less..
    Just how exactly is it possible to mess up something as simple as making an appointment for a viewing? This is their bread and butter at the end of the day. I only wish I could inform the owner of the property of just how badly they are "marketing" his property for him.

I will never buy a house, or have any dealings with this cowboy agency again.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Do the simple things right. i.e if you make an appointment, actually attend it.”

11. 2

A 1-star review by 'Chrisbaxtercoyle' 29/4/2014

Branch:
    115 Union Street (Torquay) (Devon)
    No postcode selected.
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Absolutely horrific, apparently the service stops when the offer has been made on your house, we sold our house in torquay through Connells torquay branch hoping for a good, quick, clean sale especially the the large fee they were charging, unfortunately none of which were the case, 16 weeks for no chain just a simple transaction you would think. I have never encountered a business that lies thought their teeth and then denies that they said anything. This would be not so frustrating but when we asked if we could move before christmas we were told yes, and then when this didn't happen due... (read more)

Page: