Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Connells

Agent rating: 1.8 out of 5.0 based on 197 ratings. This website contains 195 user reviews of Connells.

Offices / Branches

• 38 recommend
  • 159 disapprove

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

One of the largest and most successful estate agency groups in the country with a network of over 150 branches throughout the Home Counties, South, West Country, Midlands and East Anglia.

Connells has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Connells, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 7)

Page last updated on: 01-Oct-2014 12:19:38

1. A 5-star review by 'Mr Fletcher' 1/10/2014

Doug Guerrier, Harry Youn gs
    AL2
    £365000

Doug GuerrierHarry Youn gs

Recommended. Connells in St. Albans have been explempoary from start to finish. I had my house valued by 3 agents (as you do) and had 3 very varying prices, Harry from Connells showed me reports and lists of suitable applicants justifying the price he quoted. We gave our business based on the informative approach and the valuer Harry Youngs. I am on a busy road and was aware that some people might complain, but Harry and the St. Albans team matched up the right people and did an open day, the open day was hosted by Doug Guerrier the Director of the office which I though was a nice touch, Doug... (read more)

“EXCELLENT VALUE.”

2. A 1-star review by 'Totally Disappointed' 1/10/2014

Branch:
    3 Moatfield Farm, (Kingsnorth) (Ashford) (Kent)
    They arranged our mortgage
    Ross McTaggert, Jeremy Hill
    TN24

Ross McTaggertJeremy Hill

Absolutely shocking service or rather no service at all. Mortgage application was made in March and was made incorrectly in the first instance. Then when it seemed to drag on my calls were not returned and had no answers to whether the application had been approved or not. They took £400 and then Ross went on long term sick leave and still no mortgage offer. In the mean time the chain is already to exchange and still no offer. Jeremy (his line manager ) took over and promised that this case would be his priority and i have to say we still do not have it! They are completely incompetent and they get you going around in circles. I wish that i had gone to an independent mortgage adviser in the first place. I will never use this company again, ever.

“Something.”

3. A 5-star review by 'Mark' 30/9/2014

Melissa Bolton
    AL3
    £275000

Melissa Bolton

Happy with valuation and local knowledge. Good communications through viewings and negotiations. I believe I got the best price possible, the premium marketing offer was well worth it.

4. A 1-star review by 'disapointed.' 26/9/2014

Branch:
    57 High Street ( ) (Crawley) (West Sussex)
    rh10
    £360000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Dreadful experience. From phantom buyers, to no shows to badly vetted buyers. Dont go near these clowns with a barge pole. After finally finding a buyer 7 months later they expect us to pay them the commission for a sale they didnt arrange, completely ignoring the fact they cost us £14k in rent as we had to move or we would have lost our purchase.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Done their job properly!”

5. A 5-star review by 'MJ123' 8/9/2014

Branch:
    5 Montagu Street (Kettering) (Northamptonshire)
    Russel Store manager, Rachel Oban
    NN16
    £133000

Russel Store managerRachel Oban

Hi,
    I would like to share with you the highs and lows of my house moving experience.
    Back in 2013 I put my home up for sale with William H Brown. Unbeknown to be at the time they over priced the selling price by £50000. Just before the end of the three month contract, William H Brown contacted me and suggested that seen as no-one had come to view my home that I should consider reducing the sale price by £20000. As you can imagine, I was a bit perturbed, after all as Estate Agents surely they should know their market! It was purely work commitments and lack of time to research that led me... (read more)

6. 2

A 1-star review by 'Paul' 4/9/2014

Branch:
    6 Station Parade (Letchworth) (Hertfordshire)
    Sg1
    £450000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

They sell properties , however, they also try & rope you into their mortgage scheme as it's clearly profitable, as I had my own mortgage they told me they would not put me forward if it's not via them !! Shocking!! I bet the seller does not know about this but for me paying £5 on line I will obtain their details & tell them that I am the person who matched their offer but Connell would not put me forward to them because I would not put my mortgage through them!!!! Shocking company, no ethics STAY AWAY

7. 2

A 1-star review by 'Jeff Lyne' 29/8/2014

Lee Broming, James Best
    EX1
    £179950

Lee BromingJames Best

I was pressured to except an offer on my home well under the asking price after being assured by Lee Broming the branch manager that the buyer was in a position for a quick purchase. 3 weeks later after regularly asking how things were progressing I was amazed to find out the buyer hadn't even been into apply for his mortgage. He was, in fact, on holiday. 24 days wasted due to lies and dishonest information. The Branch manager wouldn't even speak to me after I refused to put my house back on the market with Connells. Stay Clear at all costs!

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'R Embley' 27/8/2014

ex5
    £245000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Very aggressive in approach, kept contacting me to ask me to place my property on the market, even though it was on with another agent and I was happy with them!

Have been told by friends that the office Manager tries to poach other agents properties and has little or no ethics.

Would rather use a small friendly agent rather than a large corporate agent who only seem interested in meeting their targets.

9. 1

A 1-star review by 'unsatisfied customer' 24/8/2014

Branch:
    Land & New Homes 80 High Street (Poole) (Dorset)
    Relocation agent
    BH15
    £300
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Last February, we put our property on the market with Connells and recently (in August) we have taken it of the market. We have decided to put it on the market again perhaps in the spring but with a different agent.
    During the six months that Connells had our property for sale we did not get any feed back from them, as promised, and we did not get any viewings from prospective buyers. Connells did put our property as "open house" on a Saturday and we were told that they had two customers that were going to come to view the property but we had no feed back on the outcome either. We are not sure if they did come, as Connells told us to vacate the premises before the time of the viewings. When they first put the property on the market, the details on the internet were not correct, with measurements inaccurate, floor plans were wrong and it took us several attempts to have them corrected accurately.

10. A 1-star review by 'Annoyed' 22/8/2014

Branch:
    115 Union Street (Torquay) (Devon)
    TQ2
    £80000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Absolutely unbelievable. I signed up with them in April 2013 where I was promised that they could sell my flat fast to release equity to purchase a new build in time.They set a fee of £3000 +Vat to sell, having already paid out £118.80 listing fee for premium right move to them. I reluctantly agreed to the fees as I was sure that they could keep their end of the deal as they sold it so well. This was the start of my issues. Premium right move never materialised at all during the listing to date, the flat was not really pushed as far as I can assertion, I had 5 viewings in 16 months and one... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“MORE EXPENSIVE THAN OTHER AGENTS IN THE AREA.”

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They could have been polite and understanding, maybe even offered to negotiate on the extortionate 4.5% fee”

1. A 1-star review by 'unhappy customer' 8/8/2014

Branch:
    1/3 Queen Victoria Road (High Wycombe) (Buckinghamshire)
    sl7
    £469950
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Just avoid this lot, they make no effort to sell your house, they don't communicate with you or prospective buyers. They fail to organise anything and when you get fed up with them you find you are trapped in an awful contract with ambiguous cancellation terms. They overvalued my house and then planned to take a fixed fee based on that price. They took money upfront for website marketing with pressure selling. When we went into the office to cancel we found the set of keys they had been given wasn't even booked in. Having ended my contract, Connells suddenly get to work and I find myself getting letters with ambiguous terms of business, stating I might have to pay fees, even if I sell through a new agent to someone they didn't even introduce, if it's within the "initial period". No explicit date or duration was given in the contract or correspondence as to when this could apply. Connells seem to make the most effort in harassment of ex clients.

2. 1

A 1-star review by 'Raymondo' 7/8/2014

Phill Smith, St Albans St Albans
    AL 1

Phill SmithSt Albans St Albans

I had a contract with Connells in St Albans earlier this year to market my house. I had little response so I ended the contract on 5th April of this year.

Yesterday a woman turned up unexpectedly at my house saying that Connells had sent her for a viewing. Today I noticed that Connells had re-advertised my house! All this without even informing me, let alone seeking my approval.

I note that this branch is ranked 18,408 out of 21,623 in the UK. Not far to go to the bottom.

I have called them but no one was available to take my call.

3. 1

A 1-star review by 'NimK' 5/8/2014

AL1
    £300000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

My experience with this agency was an extremely bad one and I would not recommend them. They were extremely bad at communicating and the Manager was argumentative and rude when I was unable to return his call on one occasion. Needless to say, we took our house off the market with them and it actually put us off selling for quite a while! Please, please avoid them.

4. A 5-star review by 'Graham' 5/8/2014

Branch:
    6 The Parade (Watford) (Hertfordshire)
    tony wood, Luke Cheek
    WD19
    £240000

tony woodLuke Cheek

The level os service given to me was excellent.As I live in Spain I thought I would have an issue with the sale.That was not the case.Tony introduced me to an excellent solicitor and she was good.
    The first prospective buyer pulled out at the last minute and Tony and the solicitors tried in vain to overcome his interpretation of the map of the property.he was actually wasting our time.Tony called me outside hours and advised me to withdraw and he would chase up some of the others who had also made an offer.he was there fore me every step and so were his team .I called and spoke to Luke several times who was always helpful as was the deputy manager and the sales staff.A excellent team that works in synergy.When I complained about the lack of support and communications from the solicitors Tony unbeknown to me contacted them and a new solicitor was put on the case.She was excellent and provided me with regular updates and walked me through the sale. I sold my property for more than I expected and I have no regrets in using Connels.

Comments on the Agents fees

“WHILST THEY ARE NOT THE CHEAPEST THEY PROVIDED BRILLIANT OPEN DAYS AND PICTURES OF MY PROPERTY. THEY WERE THERE WHEN EVER I NEEDED THEIR HELP SO THE COST WAS IN BALANCE WITH THE COSTS”

5. A 1-star review by 'David Warren' 31/7/2014

Branch:
    45 Marlowes (Hemel Hempstead) (Hertfordshire)
    , John Bushey
    WD18
    £1200

John Bushey

Appalling service.
    In brief: they wont return calls, they offer furniture that is not included, they are aggressive, the senior management will take no responsibility for their staffs mistakes, they lost a deal for there client and my sister the tenant 24 hours before when neither the Landlord or tenant had done anything wrong.
    I have been agent for 18 years and this is some of the worst bullying practice I have ever seen and the type of company that give the whole industry a bad name. My best advice to all Landlords, find another agent, to all tenants find another property through another agent.
    Estate agency at its worst and worse than that they don't care.

Comments on the Agents fees

“NA AS WE WERE THE TENANT, BUT I DID RECOMMEND TO THE LANDLORD HE SHOULD ASK FOR A REDUCTION IN FEES, THEY WOULDN\'T OFFER ONE TO SAY SORRY FOR THERE INCOMPETENCE. THEY LOST THERE CLIENT A DEAL WHO IS NOW NOT SURE IF HE WILL RENT THE PROPERTY AS HE HAS HAD SUCH A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH CONNELLS.”

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“When they accepted they had made a mistake dealing with it, instead they expected the Landlord and tenant to suffer and pay for their mistake. A despicable company who don\'t care about customer service one bit, their client or incoming tenants.”

6. A 1-star review by 'Dissatisfied.' 31/7/2014

Branch:
    11b Meer Street (Stratford Upon Avon) (Warwickshire)
    Cv37
    £675
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I deal with many bad company in my work life but I have never dealt with a company as terrible as this one. They have made the last 6 months of my life hell and my landlord feels the same. They lie, they don't return calls, they are rude, they don't do what they say they're going to do, they levy charges which are unreasonable, they ignore emails, they don't respond to complaints. They are generally shocking. I thought one of the staff members was high for the first few months because he was so clueless. wouldn't use them again if my life depended on it.

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEY TOLD ME SPECIFIC AMOUNTS WHEN I VIEWED AND THEN TRIED TO CHARGE MORE THAN DOUBLE THAT AFTER I\'D ALREADY TAKEN THE FIRST STEP SO I COULDN\'T REALLY BACK OUT. I COMPLAINED AND THEY AGREED TO REDUCE BUT THIS IS THE ONLY TIME THEY\'VE SETTLED A PROBLEM.”

7. A 1-star review by 'D' 30/7/2014

Branch:
    111 High Street (Slough) (Buckinghamshire)
    Sl1
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I registered with this agent to view properties...they were absolutely hopeless in contacting me with any information. I had to do continuous chase up regardless of my great position in terms of mortgage approval and also cash buyer. The name of the sales person above has moved on and I was assigned a new person when I phoned them up and it seems like I had to reregister who I was.... A totally hopeless customer service ethos. Then I went to view some flats they were undertaking as a complete development. And I put forward an offer which they told me I would need to underpin with a deposit... (read more)

8. A 1-star review by 'paul' 28/7/2014

Lettings (Prospective customer)
    ex4
    £750
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Advertised at incorrect price, When telephoned told error was made £50 increase, Arranged to view 9am Monday morning, Agent late with no keys to view, then informed price up by another £50 per month. "*"

9. A 5-star review by 'Laura Gornicki' 24/7/2014

Branch:
    6 The Parade (Watford) (Hertfordshire)
    Tony Wood, Luke Cheek
    Wd17
    £185000

Tony WoodLuke Cheek

Tony, Luke and the whole team were extremely supportive from start to finish in our very complicated flat sale. They were always available for advice and support both on telephone and email. I honestly think I would have gone insane without them!

10. A 5-star review by 'Cathedral View' 23/7/2014

Branch:
    46-50 Castle Street (Salisbury) (Aberdeen City)
    Lettings (as a Landlord)
    Laura Walters, Lisa Reid
    SO45
    £925

Laura WaltersLisa Reid

What can I say apart from What a Great Team. Both Laura Walters(Lettings Manager) and Lisa Reid both kept me updated throughout the whole process. My Property was let quickly and we have great tenants. Happy to pay a slightly higher fee to get the level of service I was provided with.

Look Forward to Giving the Girls some more properties to let.

Comments on the Agents fees

“SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN SOME OF THE INDEPENDENT AGENT BUT WERE STILL HAPPY TO NEGOTIATE TO AN AGREEABLE LEVEL. AND FOR THE SERVICE MORE THAN HAPPY TO PAY THE FEE.”

1. A 1-star review by 'Unsatisfied customer' 23/7/2014

Branch:
    409 Shirley Road Shirley (Southampton) (Hampshire)
    Sales (as a Buyer)
    SO16
    £185000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

What a terrible experience! Connells were really aggressive and unhelpful throughout the experience. They seemed to deliberately go out of their way to be unhelpful, from giving us only 5 minutes on the phone to decide what we would have liked to keep in the house, not being available to let us inside for five minutes to review said items, not being available to open the house to let a carpet fitter in to measure for new carpets, that took all of five minutes in the end!

We didn't even get a Sold sign! And the For Sale sign is still screwed into our wall almost two weeks after completion.

Extremely unpleasant experience and I would not recommend them to anyone. I think they do shoot themselves in the foot as we will not even consider them as an option when the time comes to sell up.

2. 1

A 1-star review by 'Shu' 21/7/2014

Branch:
    1/3 Stoke Lane Westbury-On-Trym (Westbury on Trym) (Bristol) (City of Bristol)
    , Bristol Bristol
    BS10
    £250000

Bristol Bristol

I went to them believing that they can sell my property, but unfortunately they did not put any effort. When we talked for the first time, I explained ti them that the communication is really important for me, and James promised, that they will call me every week. They seemed really nice. On the past 8 weeks I was the one calling them ones a week, and if James was busy, nobody could answer my questions, and he was busy most of the times. They arranged 2 open days,but nobody came. After that they arranged 3 viewings . All of them were for Saturday. The first one they canceled on Friday, the... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THEY DON\'T DO WORK FOR A PENNY.”

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Just to start to work.”

3. A 5-star review by 'Mark Hanson' 21/7/2014

Joanne Tallis
    B64
    £145000

Joanne Tallis

I would like to recommend Connells in Halesowen to anyone reading this review. I have recently had my property valued by Joanne Tallis. It is refreshing to have an estate agent who is honest and down to earth. She was very approachable and professional. She spent a long time with me offering advice and going through my options. Unlike other agents there was no pressure selling.

I will be putting my property on the market when I have finished the final touches.

She left me with a pack to browse through which is very impressive.

I have recommended her to all of my friends and relatives and would do the same to anyone reading this review

Comments on the Agents fees

“NOT THE CHEAPEST BUT WELL WORTH THE FEW EXTRA POUNDS”

4. 2

A 1-star review by 'Pikachu' 16/7/2014

Branch:
    86 High Street (Watford) (Hertfordshire)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Wd24
    £300000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Connells are absolutely shameful in the way they treat their investment buyers (or any buyers, in that case)! Avoid them like the plague if possible, there are more professional agents out there.

We found a house we liked and although they told us there were 2 offers on the property already, we could still view it. So we sent a family member as it was a weekday as we were both working.

We made an offer and they asked us to provide all the paperwork, once we emailed them everything they needed, we still had not heard back. My husband called them a few times but they did not have an... (read more)

5. A 1-star review by 'oxford' 15/7/2014

Branch:
    1/2 Bank Court Chambers 60 Between Towns Road (Cowley) (Oxford) (Oxfordshire)
    Demi Reid
    ox4
    £1200

Demi Reid

I was interested in a property and was told i had to pay £120 referencing fees which i transferred into connells account without an agreement or signing anything!
    However due to unfortunate circumstances i had to pull out of the tenancy before my refrencing had even started so i requested a refund to which i was told by another agent "if i was to of read the smallprint this is non refundable" but obviously i did not sign anything so i was entitled to a full refund.
    i was told this money would be refunded into my account within 3-5 working days, this did not happen so i called... (read more)

6. A 1-star review by 'Keiko' 14/7/2014

B65
    £108950
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I used Connells Halesowen to try and sell my house. When the manager came round, they were the all singing all dancing company who sounded very good. However, nothing could have been further from the truth. I never received feedback, unless I rang at least twice to ask for it. They never called me to review the sales when after 7 months still no offers. When I called them to complain about this, Joanne stated that she would diary me in to call me in 3 weeks as we agreed that reducing the property may help - needless to say that I did not receive that call either. I finally withdrew my... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Contacted me for feedback and review when no offers.”

7. A 2-star review by 'Sarah' 14/7/2014

B65
    £108950

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“They should have given me feedback after each viewing. After 10 to 12 weeks they should have made contact to look at the property and assess why the property had not sold and what could be done.”

8. A 1-star review by 'Dannypboro' 14/7/2014

Branch:
    14 Cowgate (Peterborough) (Cambridgeshire)
    pe2
    £75000
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I have never come across such an arrogant team of people.
    They did not market the our property properly, I got calls from my tenant at the time complaining about persistent aggressive calls from this agent.

Their rates may not be the highest but you pay in lack of service and bad attitude from their sales team.

“£1750”

9. 1

A 1-star review by 'Capio' 14/7/2014

Branch:
    5 Montagu Street (Kettering) (Northamptonshire)
    Russel Store manager
    nn1
    £155000

Russel Store manager

I recently visitied Connells in kettering as there was a house me and my fiancee were very interested in buying from them. We are both first time buyers, both of us are in decently payed jobs and we have worked very hard to get our deposit together.
    We went a viewed a house they had on their books that was perfect for us. We fought quite hard to get a viewing, as it seems that they do not have enough staff to show people around houses. I personally had to knock on the seller's door and introduce myself to try and get a viewing of the property. We found it more difficult to get help with... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“FEES ARE A DISGRACE AND A CON!”

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Stop using a threatning manner to get your own way it won\'t work and stop trying to con first time buyers with you wares, that are not needed!”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  10. View All Comments (1)by Russell  12/08/2014

Firstly I am sorry that you felt this way about your dealings with my office, but I must say that I disagree with some of the points made within your review and would like to clear them up as follows: • Our office opening hours are 8:30am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am – 5pm every Saturday, we will also accommodate viewings outside these hours if necessary as long as it is acceptable to our vendors. • We have ample staff to accompany our viewings, I would even go as far as to say that we have one of the highest staff to property ratios in the town and pride ourselves on... (read more)
  11. A 1-star review by 'Umm Yusuf' 30/6/2014

Branch:
    111 High Street (Slough) (Buckinghamshire)
    Lettings (as a Landlord)
    Christopher Hinds
    SL1
    £750

Christopher Hinds

What a nightmare! We bought the property through the agent, which was a turbulent enough experience, but putting it down to the fact that it was a repossession gave them the benefit of the doubt and used them for managing the property....oh dear....the most annoying thing about the agent was the lack of communication and when there was communication it was inefficient, for example I would get an email from Sue who is sitting in the managing office (up north somewhere- she has no real clue about the property) but she would ask me to ring a security office to order a new fob for the property... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Better communication, being honest and showing some respect. To back up legal claims in writing. To have managing personnel in the same city as the properties they manage as opposed to having Chris based in the slough office and then queries being sent to me from some other office.”

Page: