Browse agents by letter
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Connells

Agent rating: 1.8 out of 5.0 based on 156 ratings. This website contains 154 user reviews of Connells.

Offices / Branches

• 126 disapprove

...left to get your reviews in for the 2014 allAgents People Awards

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

One of the largest and most successful estate agency groups in the country with a network of over 150 branches throughout the Home Counties, South, West Country, Midlands and East Anglia.

Connells has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Connells, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 6)

Page last updated on: 23-Apr-2014 15:09:19

1. A 1-star review by 'Derek' 3/4/2014

3 Moatfield Farm,
    TN23
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells Ashford, Kent – Avoid!

I’ll try to make this as brief as possible.

1) Sellers

If you are selling your house you are forced through their preferred solicitor to get your valuation. This solicitor is based somewhere up north. This solicitor is also extremely incompetent. Shoosmiths. You will not be able to push anything through, you will struggle to get answers, you will end up paying more than if you went to a local solicitor who you can walk your ID and paperwork to free of charge.

The estate agent is also incapable of filling in standard documents correctly first... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Explain the terms and conditions before having you see their \"advisor\" numerous times, including which banks they do and don\'t use for mortgages. Don\'t try and force a solicitor upon people. Don\'t force you to use their advisor for a mortgage and charge for a lifetime membership which we don\'t want.”

2. A 5-star review by 'Caroline' 11/3/2014

81-83 Darlington Street
    Sue Brotheridge
    WV6
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

When the private sale of my house fell through and I faced losing the house I was buying, Connells stepped in and got my house on the market and sold subject to contract, within about ten days. I cannot remember the name of the girl who came out to sell the house, but she was brilliant at reassuring me at a time when I was extremely upset that may lose my house purchase. She told me she'd sell my house and I believed her. All my subsequent communication with staff in the branch, was professional and friendly from there on in, and I felt absolute faith in the team throughout the process. A hiccup at the end that threatened the entire chain, was quickly resolved by Connells, and they saved the day for a second time.

After the poor service I received from an estate agent last time I bought and sold a house, I vowed to do it privately next time, but I would recommend Connells to anyone wishing to sell a property.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  3. View All Comments (1)by Leecooke  11/03/2014

Thank you so much for your comments,selling houses can be very stressful that's why I have a full time customer care manager in Sue,my team and I really do care about our customers and we are so glad your another happy customer THANK YOU.
  4. 2

A 1-star review by 'Con-ners' 5/3/2014

5 Montagu Street
    NN15
    Would you use the agent again? No

I cannot emphasise enough how absolutley disgustingly we have been treated by this "company". We are now seeking compensation through the courts and are expected to win hands down.
    We have been subjected to - Lies, bullying, extortion, and just about anything else you can imagine.

We moved into a large house (our rent is just shy of £1000pcm) and we only had a rushed first visit due to the existing tenants being unaware we were coming. We repeatedly asked for a 2nd viewing, denied. The excuse was that the exiting tenants were uncontactable. To cut a very long, and sad story... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Been honest, Known the laws, Known their job, Learned some respect, Had proper training,”

5. 2

They arranged our mortgage
    Krishan Khatri
    WD23
    Would you use the agent again? No

I was browsing Rightmove one day and saw a property I liked in Bushey, after viewing the property I subsequently made an offer.

Several hours later I got a call from Krishan Khatri (mortgage advisor), telling me that they have had several offers on the property and that the vendor wanted to keep all applications in house (lies).

I was then pressured because I wanted the property to drop my personal mortgage broker and use Krishan Khatri Connells mortgage advisor.

After meeting Krishan Khatri he was an extremely inexperienced young chap who had no idea what he was doing (beware). I ended up practically running the whole application myself, they are a bunch of cowboys. I run a success business and would never employ Krishan as he is simply in capable of doing the simplest of tasks. Frankly I am disgusted by the service I have received and will taking this further with the FSA.

7. 3

A 2-star review by 'Mrs F' 22/2/2014

31 Carfax
    Katie Bone
    RH12
    Would you use the agent again? No

I was disappointed with the level of service I received from Connells. Having had my full asking price offer accepted on a 2 bed flat, I was surprised to be treated with an increasing lack of courtesy by the estate agent as the process did not move at the speed she had obviously promised the vendor. Even though we were still comfortably within the timeline the agent had set, she seemed not to want to keep the sale going, and instead informed me - after the fact - that the flat was back on the market. I withdrew from the purchase and instead bought another flat in the same block through a different agent. I don't like being mucked around, and Connells definitely mucked me around. Given how many estate agents there are in Horsham, luckily I don't need to use them again.

8. 1

A 5-star review by 'Cathy Cheadle' 11/2/2014

81-83 Darlington Street
    Lee Cooke
    WV13
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I appointed Connells after having been very disappointed with another agent. There was some urgency as it was Autumn when I changed agents.
    Lee came to see me very quickly and gave me an honest appraisal of the house and what he felt needed to be done in order to present it at its best. He was also frank about what he thought it should be marketed for and why.
    The house was on the market very quickly and I was pleased with the presentation. I immediately started to have viewings, and these continued until the house was sold after a short period of time. I felt that all of the staff at... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  9. View All Comments (1)by Lee Cooke  13/02/2014

Thank you so much Cathy, service levels and making customers happy is very important to me and my team at Wolverhampton, it's always a great feeling when a house has been on the market with another agent with no joy and Connells manage to find you a buyer.What an absolute pleasure.....also thank you for the lovely chocolates.
  10. 4

A 1-star review by 'killershadow' 7/2/2014

38 New Union Street
    No postcode selected.
    Would you use the agent again? No

Total and utter disgrace the way these muppets handle things.

I had a call from one of their reps asking me to visit their branch with ID such as passport/wage slip/proof of deposit to buy/proof of current address before i could view a property.

So i went there with the documents requested and all they did was went through my finances to arrange a mortgage for me. I told them i am going else where for the mortgage and anyhow once the calculations were done i was told i can afford the repayments and should be no problem and all that remains was to arrange viewing.

I was advised i will... (read more)

11. A 5-star review by 'A happy customer experience' 6/2/2014

38 Chequer Street
    AL1
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

From start to finish my experience with the connells team was exceptional. Being the first time we had moved house in many years and with so many estate agents to choose from, we felt we should use a big outfit, connells fulfilled their promises in a very professional manor. Open day viewings resulting in a prompt sale at the price recommended. Our buyer had some issues and in turn we had some delays with our purchase. Sarah progressed our sale, keeping us informed and patiently updated throughout, to be fair, we likely would of been lost without her. I would happily recommend connells St. Albans to anyone looking for a professional and efficient agency. Good luck with your move and I hope my review helps.

12. A 5-star review by 'R H Stewart-MacDonald' 4/2/2014

11b Meer Street
    Lettings (as a Landlord)
    Morny Coubert, Michelle Not known
    CV37
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

In the late Spring of 2013 I purchased a studio flat in Stratford-Upon-Avon as a buy-to-let. The flat was being marketed by Connells. The sales department of the Stratford branch expedited their part in the purchasing process with admirable efficiency. The rental department then agreed to manage the flat, continuing the arrangement with the previous owner. Within a month of the sale's completion a suitable tenant had been found. Throughout the initial stages of locating a suitable tenant and in particular, the pursuit of references and assembly of the tenancy agreement (which included the... (read more)

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'Shandy' 28/1/2014

6 Station Parade
    SG6
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells deceived me into thinking i only had to pay £99 plus vat for HIP pack back in 2009. Then 17 months later and only 3 viewings they took my house off the market and said i had to pay them £465.07. Now nearly 5 years later its nearly £1000 and taking me to court. Has anyone else been in this situation with connells HIP pack.

2. 1

A 1-star review by 'owenm' 14/1/2014

19 High Street North
    LU6
    Would you use the agent again? No

We sold a property through them and it was acceptable enough although rather slow, however when we also bought a property through them we made the mistake of taking the free legal's incentive where the seller gets £1000 less and the buyer has to get a mortgage and conveyance services through Connells. We did this knowing that we would not be getting the best deal as the mortgage advice was not great and over priced and the rates and choice were pretty poor. The solicitors we had to use for the purchase were also over priced and slow, however this would have been acceptable until the seller decided that the incentive was unfair on them and so we ended up having to pay the £1000 we supposedly saved by using the incentive. So in effect we paid £2000 for poor legal service and poor mortgage advice. DO NOT TAKE UP THIS INCENTIVE WHEN BUYING OR SELLING. I will be lodging a formal complaint about the service but wanted to post this so that I can at least save one other person from taking it out.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Not offered the free legal\'s incentive to us and responded quicker to any requests for information.”

3. 1

A 2-star review by 'Ruth' 14/1/2014

20 Salisbury Street
    DT11
    Would you use the agent again? No

Very frustrating, trying to buy a property but it seems that every property they are advertising has been sold. When I asked about why they are still advertised I was asked if I would like to have an appointment at the branch so I could go on the Premier Buying list. Always suspicious and cautious I went along wondering what the catch was going to be. Yes, of course there is one and I realised what it was. The interview was with their financial adviser who took all my details and explained that the cost of using her would be £400. I got the impression that every house I ring up about will most likely already have a buyer as I'm not going to be using their financial adviser. Also the salesman lied to me about the price a house has recently sold for - I know he did as I know the owner!

Shan't be going back there - thankfully there are plenty more Estate Agents in Blandford!

“Been honest.”

4. 3

A 1-star review by 'Julie' 9/1/2014

Unit 4 The Shields Retail Centre Gloucester Road North Filton
    BS10
    Would you use the agent again? No

Abysmal customer service. We were unwise enough to also use the solicitor linked to their company. Worst mistake we could of made. Neither the estate agents connells or the solicitors involved bothered returning calls to either ourselves or the person buying the property who is also unfortunate enough to be using Connells. Constantly make promises they cant keep, lie about the reasons for delaying the sale going through, majorly breached Data Protection by giving out personal information about my partner to someone they had no right giving it to, we are now reporting them to the Property Ombudsman. If you are thinking of using this branch steer clear, their lack of care and professionalism is absolutely appalling. Truly an awful branch of Connells, the staff there should be ashamed of themselves

5. 1

A 1-star review by 'Frustrated' 3/1/2014

42 Allhallows
    Conveyancing
    EN1
    Would you use the agent again? No

Applied for a mortgage via Lloyds TSB . As part of their procedure I had to get a valuation report so Lloyds TSB passed the valuation process to Colleys Surveyors ( Part of Lloyds TSB Group) Colleys then passed the work to be done by Connell's . Surveyor visited the premises and spent no more than 10 minutes and left. Lloyds TSB debited my account for £450.00. For this I received a standard 3 pages docuemnt stating
    1) Description - 3 lines
    2) Construction - 3 lines
    3) Valuation and market Comment - ' In its present condition and with the current state of the property market my valuation is ??'
    4) 'Properties of this type and age in this neighbourhood are valued between ?? and ?? '
    WHAT A RIP OFF BETWEEN BANK AND ESTATE AGENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Be more professional in his report!!”

6. 2

A 1-star review by 'Tim' 24/12/2013

500 Silbury Boulevard
    Richard Hill, Will Clueless
    MK5
    Would you use the agent again? No

Clueless, dishonest and unprofessional- avoid at all costs.
    Richard 'sold' our flat on 4 separate occasions, but each fell through as all of the potential vendors had not been checked for eligibility, failed credit scores etc... Seemingly it had not occurred to anyone at the office to set up a meeting with their onsite mortgage advisor before allowing them to submit offers on properties they couldn't afford.
    The property was left vacant for 9 months whilst Connells flapped about periodically looking for buyers, unfortunately after every viewing my property was treated with disdain- mud... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Financially assessed vendors. Left my property clean. Left my property secure. Returned phone calls.”

7. A 1-star review by 'Kerstin Mason' 17/12/2013

45 Marlowes
    HP3
    Would you use the agent again? No

We contacted the Hemel Hempstead branch of Connells earlier this year to get an idea of the market value of our property. One of their staff came around promptly and left a generally competent impression. Two minor points we did not like at the time, however we decided not get too annoyed: (1) He kept addressing us as "guys" (no, we are not two men!) and (2) he got the stamp duty bands wrong and even after querying whether it was really £300k and not £250k for the lower end of 3%, he said £300k was correct. We were also given a glossy marketing brochure promoting the agency's... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“accept that \"no\" really means \"no\", you lost business by being too persistent”

8. 2

A 2-star review by 'Notimpressedtobehonest' 16/12/2013

1/3 Stoke Lane Westbury-On-Trym
    Kat , Simon Bristol
    BS10
    Would you use the agent again? No

Connells were very unhelpful and rude to myself and two housemates this November - December when trying to rent a property. I work in customer service myself and would be fired for half the things Connells did to us. Here are some of the problems we had with them:

We were refused a request to speak to the landlord about general inquiries.
    We were accused of lying about our jobs when there was a mistake in the reference check.
    We had to pay unexpected charges for a guarantor check even though this was never mentioned before we signed the contract.
    Our agent Kat was almost always off work... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Quit the job or retrain.”

9. 4

A 1-star review by 'Robert' 6/12/2013

7/8 Euston Place
    vanessa mills
    CV32
    Would you use the agent again? No

In general terms I find Connells Leamington Spa to be unreliable when it comes to viewings, unresponsive to telephone enquiries and often ignore messages, and arrogant. Ms Mills should be singled out as one of the rudest and most arrogant estate agents you will ever encounter. She has the habit of answering questions before posed and then, when it is clear she is wrong, telling you she has 23 years experience as an estate agent and is the area manager. Oh, that's alright then!

I am a professional landlord and a chartered surveyor and no longer even view properties they are marketing. It... (read more)

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'angry' 5/12/2013

57 High Street
    RH11
    Would you use the agent again? No

Another awful agency in a sea of awful agencies. Don't buy from them as they will lead you into unnecessary credit checks which will effect your credit score when they are well aware your offer has not been accepted. They told us that our offer was very good when we put in asking price for a property but wanted various credit checks etc to assure the vendor we could substantiate our offer. We did all this having taken time off work and they agreed we were in a good financial position but the vendor had already accepted an offer from s cash buyer. Great.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“The agent should not have lead us to believe our offer would be accepted upon a credit check when they already had a cash buyer.”

1. A 5-star review by 'Joe Cox' 2/12/2013

Winchester House, Winchester Street
    Ash
    SP10
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I pride myself on being straight forward to deal with and my word is my bond. I have to say Ash dealt with my sale in the same manner. I was really appreciative of the consistent respect and honest way I was treated. Keep up the good work.

2. A 1-star review by 'julia hellon' 22/11/2013

70-76 Birmingham Street
    Lettings (as a Landlord)
    patrick dixon
    HP18
    Would you use the agent again? No

The problems are to extent to go into, so this what connells allowed to hapen being to our family home albeit they were informed and have had numerous e.mails phone calls, visits to our propery by ourselves and by them?? complaints via neighbours, nothing has ever and is still not being resolved the rent from the tenants have never ever been payed on time, we have to chase connells sometimes being 2months in arrears.. here is a list of what the tenants have done to date to our home
    broken velux window,broken spidal to staircase,,radiator cover ripped off and missing,furniture we left missing... (read more)

3. A 1-star review by 'buyer' 21/11/2013

86 High Street
    BUSH
    Would you use the agent again? No

very poor services with connells agents.we bought out first home with connells and were very dissapointed in their lack of professionalism and ethics.Do Not Use them

4. 2

A 1-star review by 'Sam' 20/11/2013

500 Silbury Boulevard
    MK8
    Would you use the agent again? No

We have recently rented through Connells MK branch and have had a very poor experience. The communication was very poor throughout with no clear process of what should be happening when. We had to keep chasing for small things and ended going in personally to get a response. The move out date of the previous occupant and move in date for us was arranged on the same day - leaving very limited time for inventory to be done in the middle. Considering the amount of fees charged and the big name associated with this agent, we were highly disapppointed with the experience.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Communicate clearly Have a defined process and checklist for what shoud happen, when Respond to emails Remember information by making notes instead of asking the same question again and again Write the correct information on tenancy paperwork and check facts before providing incorrect information Instead of saying, \'I don\'t deal with that\' after taking our money, provide a nominated point of contact in an appropriate manner and follow through to ensure service is maintained.”

5. 1

A 5-star review by 'Mr parrot' 19/11/2013

3 High Street
    Jonathan
    BH23
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

I was very please with the service Jonathan provided when giving me a valuation on my investment property that I did choose to use Connells in Christchurch to market it!

After just two days of my property being on the market I had 3 offers! While dealing with selling my house Jordan was very helpful and informative keeping me updated with every step.

Overall I would use the Connells Christchurch team again.

6. A 1-star review by 'Nagem' 16/11/2013

83 George Street
    , Wrocław Wrocław
    LU2
    Would you use the agent again? No

The agent's customer service is so poor and disgraceful. We want to view two properties. He agreed on the day but asked for the certain time so we agreed even it was not most convenient for us but wanted to be kind. What was our surprise when we met other peoples at this same time - he basically did open house in the seller property. I understand that there was lots of interest in the houses however still think that the viewing arrange every 15 minutes will be much more professional giving the time and space for proper viewing. Definitely he just wanted to show us that the interest is so... (read more)

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“Change their attitude and customer service also for potential buyers.”

7. A 1-star review by 'Anon' 15/11/2013

38 Chequer Street
    AL1
    Would you use the agent again? No

Shocking service. People turned up with no appointment to view the property. One agent had a telephone argument with her office in front of both me and the customers who were viewing. Avoid.

8. A 2-star review by 'Ann' 14/11/2013

188 Queensway
    MK
    Would you use the agent again? No

We viewed 151 Whalley Drive, Bletchley (July 2013) with Connells. The property needed lots of work . We see the property back on the market at 384,950 now (Nov2013) but rightmove and the estate agents have not published the price they paid for it. We believe that the offer we made was excepted but Connells told us the vendor wouldn't take that offer. 2 weeks later the property was sold. It seems very suspicious why the purchase price has not been shown, whereas other properties we looked at were sold after this property was sold and have all shown how much was paid for them. There is another estate agent selling this property now, Ryhen Jordan. It looks like the estate agents are all working together in the property guzumping scam. If you are not an estate agent you don't stand a chance. They are trying to make 100K+ on this property. This really needs to be exposed.

9. 1

A 1-star review by 'Pavo' 8/11/2013

46 London Road
    They arranged our mortgage
    Lee Williams, Charlotte Pantling
    SO17
    Would you use the agent again? No

Absolutely terrible service consider the £399 fee and further referral fee they got from the mortgage company. It took them over 3 months to get a mortgage offer to me. Extremely poor communication between them and the mortgage company which resulted in me speaking directly with the mortgage company to resolve (doing their job for them). I had to endless chase them and they never returned calls. DO NOT USE.

What could Connells do to change your mind??

“The agent could have communicated better and been more organised.”

10. A 1-star review by 'Emotionally Drained' 31/10/2013

26A Fyfield Barrow The Walnut Tree Local Centre
    MK10
    Would you use the agent again? No

We had found a property we wanted to buy with Connells main office in CMK and as we hadn't yet advertised our property with anyone they offered us a discounted fee (because we were going to buy through them) to advertise it through them. So we said yes.

We had been dealing with people from the main CMK office, but to sell it went over to the Walnut Tree office (the other side of the city), with people we had never met or spoken to. Our experience and opinion at this time with Connells was that the lady who showed us round the house we wanted to buy, Bernie, was lovely and we hoped all... (read more)

Page: